/shmupg/ - Shoot 'em Up General

'Why is everyone so lazy when it comes to making new threads' edition

Previous thread This general is for discussing all shmups/stgs (shoot 'em ups/shooting games/shooting type games).
Need something to play? Check this shit out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s
Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

RECENT RELEASES:
>Castle of Shikigami (Steam)
store.steampowered.com/app/582980/Castle_of_Shikigami/
>Dangun Feveron M2 port
Somewhere on PSN
>Bullet Soul
store.steampowered.com/app/544580/
>Ghost Blade HD
store.steampowered.com/app/577910/
>Zangeki Warp
store.steampowered.com/app/564040/
>Caladrius Blaze
store.steampowered.com/app/386770/
>DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu
store.steampowered.com/app/464450/
>WITCH-BOT MEGLILO:
store.steampowered.com/app/437020/
>Danmaku Unlimited 3
store.steampowered.com/app/450950/

UPCOMING RELEASES:
>Raiden V (PS4 and Steam)
youtube.com/watch?v=M0Z0yj5IDdI
>Touhou 16 ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons
kourindou.exblog.jp/25711799/
>Pawarumi
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=812914421
>Graze Counter
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=899022724
>Ketsui M2 port
gematsu.com/2017/04/m2-announces-ketsui-m2-shottriggers-release-feveron-school
>Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia
>iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/
>Go Go Burunyanman Ecstasy!!! Steam-Edition
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194

OTHER LINKS:
/shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

community.edgecast.steamstatic.com/economy/image/U8721VM9p9C2v1o6cKJ4qEnGqnE7IoTQgZI-VTdwyTBeimAcIoxXpgK8bPeslY9pPJIvB5IWW2-452kaM8heLSRgleGHor1Ix-94OKAo0Oj9Awsl6eFPAmC2TRaG3j-VebqtlgU0PcAvJxvzkphM6owBCJ95SOIhs0RxKQ
danbo.vg/2017/06/27/br-update-delay.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Most of us are just really really shy.

blue revolver doesn't have any gay hyper mode shit, that makes it 100x better than ccwi

I was going to do it after my stream since I wouldn't be around to keep it alive during.

game is pixelated badly, that makes it 100x worse than ccwi

poo revolver should never be mentioned in the same sentence as ccwi

But you just did user.

nope, doesn't count since i called it poo revolver.

What are they playing, Ketsui?

Bump before bed. Stay afloat, /shmupg/.

Pokemon. Or the multiplayer mini-games from New Super Mario Bros. Whatever it is, Casper is winning.

Does the game code included with the Garegga Rev.2016 premium edition work on a United States PSN account?

you most likely need a jap account

>winning
Casper will never win over Patchouli

>Stay afloat, /shmupg/.
That'd be the day.

Bump.

Shumps!

Anyone played Battle Crust? How is it?

Is this the final days of /shmupg/?

Always route your shits.

Routing is for autists.

If you can't do well blind then you're a retard.

>can't 2-all on his first credit
oute using retard

but i was talking about shitting? can't you read?

I hope for your sake that was an autocorrect fuckup. Xom finds this hilarious regardless

No mistake, the first post says shits because i'm talking about shitting, no idea what you're on about. Learn to read desu.

Hard to tell who's talking when we're all user. I count no less than 4 posters in the above 6 posts.

3 are me, always route your shits senpai.

kevin uDDeRs

i want dis background

it's really ugly.
community.edgecast.steamstatic.com/economy/image/U8721VM9p9C2v1o6cKJ4qEnGqnE7IoTQgZI-VTdwyTBeimAcIoxXpgK8bPeslY9pPJIvB5IWW2-452kaM8heLSRgleGHor1Ix-94OKAo0Oj9Awsl6eFPAmC2TRaG3j-VebqtlgU0PcAvJxvzkphM6owBCJ95SOIhs0RxKQ

all touhous are male?

futas

wtf i love touhou now

Recommend me a good pad for pc.

How hard is it to keep general alive you incompetent NEETs.

keyboard is a choice of pros

This thread is shit so nobody posts here or wants to keep it alive.

Whenever I post here I just get insulted anyway.

f310

Even if that matchup may be debatable, she easily wins over Windia.

Large breasts float, right? I may have an idea.

danbo.vg/2017/06/27/br-update-delay.html

he's right about one thing, poo revolver really is shite

It's unpolished as fuck but enjoyable and that's all what really matters.

stop posting stupid shit then you pig faced cunt.

C-can I hang out here?

>danbo.vg/2017/06/27/br-update-delay.html
This self loathing glasgay faggiola is hardly william wallace, I feel i kicked his arse here before and i'll do it again because some things are so obvious. Let's start with refinement? why bother when this genre has established arrange/black label modes? better off building a completely new refined mode rather than endlessly tweaking and forcing players to go back and get scores again and again. 2nd is marketing you and your ilk need some lessons in this desperately but most importantly beta testers.... the mistake you made was assuming the players being good would be enough but actually they're mostly retards who can't understand game design and see right through problems by being to good and adapting to quickly Gaimers being a perfect example. There's actually rarely correlation between skill level and problem finding like in speedrunning for example the majority of strats,glitches,problems etc are not found by the players so try to pick the right people next time ie me ands anyone else who's logically analytical and not self masturbatory ya wae fanny.

I love rez and this is my saloon so yes you can.

it's time to realize rez is a slow boring garbage game that you only like because of graphics and music

If you want to.

This. Take the rail shooter redpill that is Sin & Punishment 2.

FUCK POO REVOLVER (hi danbo)

-The special weapon is not very balanced. Removing boss patterns, reducing stage big enemies into a single button press on spawn, I tried Cluster Missile and Val Hyper Laser (v1.11) and both destroy things very well. It would be better if there were enough enemies to take the excess firepower, but...

-...there are no enemies in the stages. Zun-style design in places with large gaps between enemy spawns, especially with the buffed Variable shots and special weapon use the enemies die off before the next ones spawn, making routing around them redundant too often. Notable exceptions are specific parts of Stage 4 and Stage 5 - the stage itself is hit and miss, alternating between very slow patterns with enemies spawning scarcely with copypasted formations and more interesting ones in the midsection turret wall.

-I don't really like the boss "spellcard" design. Some of the patterns are just "basic" to be fun when looped in such a way repeatedly - in a CAVE-style design with boss phases firing a series of attacks before looping, some of these could work as a singular 5-10 second attack, but extended into a full-length spellcard they become excessively repetitive, and highlight the pattern's simplicity - part of the CAVE design allure is also the way the attacks sequence into each other seamlessly, merging them into a more intense strategy game of prepping for the next attack towards the end of the previous one. Some attacks are good, but especially midbosses, and specifically the Stage 5 ones seem to suffer from this.

cont.
-Stage 5 is shit. The 3-mid sized enemy patterns are copypasted repeatedly, the white enemy zako waves are copypaste, overall this stage's the worst in the game with few redeeming qualities. The previous stages, mostly Stage 1, 3 and 4 had some personality even with the flaws, but this one is very repetitive in its patterns while outstaying its welcome in duration. The midbosses are too numerous, and not particularly interesting - the lengthy breaks before midbosses spawn make it feel even slower. Stage 4 has much of the same dull design - I found Stage 1 and Stage 2 to be the most intriguing stages in the game, from that point on the enemy patterns become more drawn-out and copypaste/repetitive, Stage 3 already feels like a drag with the very slow-scrolling carrier midboss and several series of nondescript zako drops with nothing else on screen.

-The controls, visuals and sound are great, and the weapons are really fun to use - there's just not very much to use them on, since the enemies are few in number and drop very quickly when using the special weapon. I think the mechanics capture the fun of shooting things pretty well but the stage design and sparse, simplistic enemy patterns with way too much copypaste betray its potential, and the bosses are a mixed bag.

tl;dr it's poo

>Zun-style design
sadly, nearly every western shmup does this

Can you please name some of the right people.

>Zun-style design
What this even means.

It means that the enemies first show up on the screen, then sit there for 1-2 seconds while you shoot at them, then start firing, and do so in small numbers and very sparse waves with extensive breaks between enemy formations spawning.

ah. Right. Thanks.

>UFO stage 5
Zun-style my fucking ass.

people who aren't too good but also aren't too bad. they need just the right amount of suck. cee believes he is fit for this job.

Why aren't you playing Radiant Silvergun, Veeky Forums?

>amazing boss designs
>ship has diverse weapons
>simple yet complex scoring
>little RNG to fuck you over

>1 month before release
>tell the dev he should scrap the entire of boss design and completely remake every single stage
If anything, he needed to get testers at the very early phases, not different ones and even then, the feedback from casuals is overwhelmingly positive

and casuals love zun design

because it's fucking garbage, even worse than touhou?

>If anything, he needed to get testers at the very early phases.
It's literally impossible. People who can't understand anything about game development (most of the players) won't play the game enough when it's at the early phases and features are still broken.

>touhou
>not bottom of the barrel
shit taste. remove yourself from the gene pool

touhou is bottom of the barrel
radiant silver turd is the ground below the barrel

More than anything ones who actually give feedback and honest criticism and shit on the game, rather than phoning it in and being nice.

Silly mortal. The spacetime within the barrel is toroidal. You can descend endlessly into it and never reach the bottom. And it all just gets worse the deeper you go or the higher you ascend.

Nothing is sacred. Everything is shittier than everything else. Such is the nature of /shmupg/

>they need just the right amount of suck. cee believes he is fit for this job.
Kind of but not exactly, my point is players are not designers and players of a certain calibre like gaymers will adapt to anything so quickly that i don't think they register flaws or finer points to be tuned at all well, they also lack the creative vision because the focus for them is literally beating it/scoring and going back to wanking. Maybe it's just a case of diversifying input like cave do with location tests that see everyone who turns up get a say rather than just swy and chums. The fact is those testers let some GLARINGLY obvious issues float by probably because they were to busy ego stroking and uploading videos of clears for brownie points rather than analyzing the game with a broad demographic consumer potential in mind.

Bonus opinion, good players rarely design well see clover spack and that piece of shit he made to rape the eye of a gaijin.

Anyone here bought Nex Machina ?

its too methodical for me

Not a shump.

Why wouldn't it be considered as one ?

ccwi better than your favorite game

Because twin-stick shooters are not shumps.

It's a shmup in the broader sense of the word, but the more precise term would be twinstick shooter. Think of it like a cousin.

(hi)

Most of this is a pretty fair assessment. Stage 5 is not the game's finest hour - the midbosses suffer from a lack of reactivity / "dynamicness", and should the player speedkill them, the stage is left with only some fairly basic, bland enemy waves that were only meant to be a quick breather between the midbosses. The boss is also not quite as climactic as I'd like - I'd be fairly happy with the TLB were it not for how quickly it can be killed now.

Long list of small fixes that the other stages want but I don't think they're as fundamentally broken as stage 5.

As far as special weapons and variable shot go, my approach to tuning them was wrong. The raw numbers will have to be dialled back, which is going to be tricky, but I think they can still end up pretty satisfying to use, since that's one of the things the game hopefully gets right.

Once I decide on a feature/todo list for "black label", I would like to get player feedback in an incremental way (say, a private beta test release every fortnight or so). If you're interested in taking part in that, you can email me at [email protected]

I don't have much in the way of time, resources or money, but since we won't be returning to STGs for a while I want to make this the best game it can reasonably be.

No idea what that other guy is talking about though.

Oh thank you. I was looking for this smug Leo.

scottish independence danbo ye or naw?

>No idea what that other guy is talking about though.
I'm talking the complexity and challenges of the game testing.

May I ask what was biggest difficulties of the game testing of BR?

its voted as #7 best shmup of all time
poowang didn't even make the list

I like STGs, let's talk about STGs.

I feel like I didn't "prime" our testers correctly, as in: here's what to focus on, here's what's still in flux, here's what's 100% done.

Also, I think it can be hard to get players motivated about testing a game. Especially for some of these changes I'm going to have to do, which are like - "Hi guys, now all the cool Val weapons you like are weaker, let me know what you think okay?"

>its voted as #7 best shmup of all time
you'll be telling me transformers is kino on the same principle next.

>I feel like I didn't "prime" our testers correctly, as in: here's what to focus on, here's what's still in flux, here's what's 100% done.
also every tester you had has the exact same taste in shmup style. If i'm making a cave clone ultra style game best believe i'm getting at a dadnanamagic or Derrpo to test that shit.

>I like STGs, let's talk about STGs.
didnae be a fanny ya wae baw bag, just curious what your opinion on the union is.

youwould have a point if you could find a list voted on by movie experts that has transformers on it
but you cant
therefore you have no point
because you are a dumb chav

>movie experts
top kek also you can't read and missed the point yet AGAIN. You really think a silly poll done once a year with the same small group voting for whatever game they just happen to be into that week is really a good indicator of what games the best? You're as dumb as you look.

bottom line, nobody likes poowang and everyone loves ccwi

Bananamatic was a tester, if I recall correctly we unfortunately got him on board when we were in the "fuck it, deadline" bugfixing phase. The best we were able to do from his suggestions was to make the TLB a little less braindead.

A lot of stuff sadly got brought up too late. I mismanaged it. Hopefully we'll do better this time.

translation = everyones to shit for multitask masterpiece guwange whilst ccwi is a cave clone pleb fest.

ccwi much harder game

in the black label i'd like a colour scheme that makes it possible to see what i'm doing, ihave dad eyes.

No it isn't, counter stopping guwange is miles harder it's not even in the same stratosphere. Your b8 game is wank.

Have you tried the Alternate Bullet Colors / Darken Background options?

WR in ccwi miles harder than a game with a hard skill limit

Would you let your cousin in the street ? I don't think grandpa Space Invaders would allow it.
Well there was this old-game shmup (I think it was on the Atari 2600) were you needed two controller, it basically was a twinstick shooter before the term exist. Seriously it's the first time someone tell me twin-stick shooters aren't shmup, so when do they stop being shmup ? Or, what are the conditions to be one ?

It was your first big project and it went fairly well after all. Don't be too harsh on yourself.

Poo Revolver was last good original shmup. And looks like we aren't getting more quality original shmups anytime soon. Thanks for your hard work.