Why all the hate on this board for automatic transmission? Legitimate question, I'm not very car savvy

Why all the hate on this board for automatic transmission? Legitimate question, I'm not very car savvy.

for a long time they were much worse in terms of performance than manual
today it's about driving pleasure and memeing

Poorly disguised bait thread, do not respond.

I see, thank you.
Not everything is bait.

The technology is kind of amazing, it's not quite as engaging/fun as a manual unless it's a steptronic/DCT/SMG.

manualfags know it's better in every way and are butthurt manuals are dying and aren't being put into cars anymore

I got into cars shortly after buying my Chrysler 200s and let me tell you, there isnt much I wouldn't give to go back in time and buy a manual rwd.

>I'm not very car savvy.
neither is the average Veeky Forums poster

Some people find it makes driving more, you know, fun

So sell it and get something else?

I dunno why everyone on here acts like they're stuck with a car because they already have it. It's an asset, you have exactly as much money as the asset is worth. Turn the asset into cash and buy something you like with it, shit's not rocket surgery.

bunch of tryhards mostly

they think manual and rwd is the only way you can enjoy a car but the truth is none of them know how to drive

Most of the hate of the automatic comes from memes. The manual used to be relevant because it was cost effective and had better fuel economy, but now the auto just beats it in every capacity. Hell, paddle shifters allow you to chose your gear in most sporty autos nowadays. All thats left for manuals is
>Muh driving experience
>Muh its an important skill
They just dont want the manual to go away because its an observable trend. Manuals are no longer options on most cars and its a terrifying prospect to many so they feel their only means of fighting back is to insult the automatic and it's drivers at every opportunity.

>Manuals are no longer options on most cars

You as I live in the states, and you're retarded to think that were the only market in the world that matters when it comes to cars.

Try again.

Just a reminder that manuals are still cheaper to produce, lighter, and more reliable.

Fuck off dickhead, im giving an American perspective

Just a few clutch replacements and the manual is more expensive than an auto

because manuals are faster and autofags get salty about it

That depends on entirely if you're unnecessarily burning your clutch or not.

Manual is the fedora of cars.

and weaker slower and more expensive to maintain

>and weaker slower
Well yeah, there's a reason race cars don't use manuals nowadays, other than sequentials ofc.
>more expensive to maintain
[citation needed]

>Just a few clutch replacements and the manual is more expensive than an auto
Just a few engine rebuilds and a car is more expensive than a bus ticket.

A clutch replacement on any newer car is $1,000 easy

WHY did none of you take my advice?

Yeah well why would you need to replace the clutch? You driving like an idiot, causing unnecessary clutch wear? And what about maintaining an automatic? Must be expensive as shit, also, the clutch in a manual ought to be a pretty easy job to do yourself, no need for a mechanic.

>implying most people keep their cars long enough to need a rebuild

>implying most people keep their cars long enough to need a new clutch

Autos need filter and fluid 30k miles its easy to do yourself for ~$20. Most people cant change a clutch themselves

ive driven manual for 9 years and I probably never will again
I dont get "fun" from transmission but rather from the performance of the car
autos are simply better and the people that say otherwise are fucking goons
DCT is amazing too, started off bad but now its really something

Most clutches last about 100k miles which means about 2 clutch changes for the average car. Autos will continue working with issue

Because a DIY mechanic can change a cars clutch without too much fuss. Rebuilding automatic transmissions is voodoo and witchcraft and inaccessible to most DIY mechanics.

therefore, most DIY mechanics hate automatics because they are an expensive wear/failure item. They can't fix them themselves. Instead of a $200 clutch replacement and a weekend of work, it's a $1,000-$2,000 job at a shop.

Therefore, there is a built-in stigma among car-savvy people to dislike automatics.

Lots of us also don't like driving them. We prefer manuals because it's more fun to us.

Because you're an autist who just screams BAIT BAIT BAIT

>And what about maintaining an automatic? Must be expensive as shit
It's cheap as fuck, nowhere near the cost of clutch replacement

Engines die before the transmission unless you never change the filter and fluid

>100k miles
There's absolutely no way that is even anywhere near correct unless you are abusing your car.

>Tripfag
>Speaking as a collective
Nothing out of the ordinary here.

kys

meh if he didnt nail it with his point id be inclined to pick up a pitchfork with you

i don't think anyone hates automatic transmission, but it's just pathetic when someone buys a 90's to mid 2000 sports car and gets the auto when a manual is available

imagine having bought an auto NSX or Supra TT. Not only were you made fun of for the entire duration of your owner ship, but manual versions of your car are now selling on the market for two to three times more than your autotragic.

Most of Veeky Forums only buys cars from the time period when manuals were far superior, only recent DCT auto and a select few recent high end autos are afctually better, most of which aren't even a consideration for your average Veeky Forumstist. The DCT GTIs which are the most common faster than manual trans option sub 10k are very unreliable at this point

>So sell it and get something else?

Look at this faggot thinking he understands economics.

Am I fucking wrong? Already, look what's happening. Lurk moar and you'll see the same garbage day in and day out.

>tfw my auto car has paddle shifters and has that tiptronic feature
>can enjoy the ease of driving auto and manually shifting from 1-5 and hearing that racecar rev

vroOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM *pause* VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM *pause VROOOooooM

For the kind of cars everyone here drives, the automatic variants all blow ass.

For modern automatics, they're still heavier, more expensive and slower than a manual. They also depreciate faster.

Bong here. They're common but I don't feel like they're the majority. Even among the old people I know it's about half and half.

It's the difference between riding and erect penis vs riding a flacid penis.

Old autos sucked. Manual was more fun.

New autos r fkn amazing. Manuals r garbage now.

>Have a 2013 manual and 2013 auto with amazing auto downshift and blah blah blah.

If you are buying new, get a nice auto. If you are buying super old like most poor fags on this board, buy a manual.

Says the guy who does not know how to start a sentence.

Wow, you sure showed him

I haven't found an automatic I like driving, but I also only drive old junk.

If I can get behind the wheel of my friend's z4 I'll let you know.

But what if you don't like driving auto?
I prefer manual. I've driven a few auto cars, the one I drove the most was a 2015 car, I didn't like it at all.

This is not fuckin true. GOOD automatics are good now. The automatic in your slush box cvt 2014 civic accord or other assorted amerishit and japcrap econoboxes do not have good automatic transmissions. You still want manual unless you're buying a good car, like a new Porsche with PDK, which is legitimately better than manual, and faster than any human, and so forth. Stop spewing this barely correct garbage, it's not true.

Autos on economy cars are generally trash

>pressing brake and gas in traffic intermittently
vs
>furiosly yanking The Skill Stick of Manliness while simultaneously dancing on the 9000 +1 pedals available.

>You still want manual
No, I actually do not, thank you very much. Driving manual is a chore, and you burders are spoiled by 99.5% of your cars being auto, so you perceive manual cars as something cool and hip. PROTIP: they are neither.

they're heavy, eat horsepower for breakfast lunch and dinner, and don't shift significantly faster for it

also why the fuck would you want a computer controlling your shifts when it can't even see what's ahead of you?

t. motorcyclist with the god of all transmissions
mine is also a casette transmission so it's cheap and easy to repair if you fuck up a gear by shifting like a complete idiot
car manuals are trash but then again cars in general are trash. a luxury tourer motorcycle has an NA inline six engine, a comfy suspension, and a REAL transmission. a luxury tourer car has a turbo v6, a hard burgerring-tuned suspension, and some shitty auto or a retarded manual designed for roasties.

the bike industry cares for its customers because its customers care about bikes
the car industry doesn't give a shit because you retards thought the world would be better if every normie HAD to drive, and now every dumbfuck has to want a car and has to use it for half an hour a day packed in with 4000 other cars, so every car is as neutered as humanly possible to appeal to these people. the sooner milennials end car culture the sooner car culture can come back and enjoy its rightful place in the world - by people who care, for people who care.
>but it'll be expensive since it'll be niche
tell that to the $15k WSBK winning homologation bikes. hey, if cars aren't mandatory for everyone in the future, and there are fewer cars, do emissions laws for cars need to be so strict? do safety laws? a lot of the cost of a car comes from regulatory overhead and luxury features. once the greatest generation finally fills the roads with buses, bicycles, and self driving electric taxis, you might actually start seeing more plated gokarts and other genuine drivers cars around.

>using the clutch for anything but taking off from a stop
hahahahahahaha

Chebby and ferd still love us. 'Merica.

Its all about servicing costs, not muh drive, retard. Also reliability.

Auto trans fluid flush is like $300 at the dealership (worst case scenario going to a dealer) for majority of cars, even then the shortest fluid change is 30k. on average around 60k some even go to 80k+. I personally wouldn't go that long without one but some people do.

Nice hot opinion faglord but just because you're a eurofaggot doesn't mean you somehow have a superior opinion on driving manual, you realize that you're exactly the same as a regular American that daily drives manual you just don't like driving manual right? Of course you do. You're just a retarded shitposter. Die in a fire.

Also, any car an American can reasonably get in America for 3k is going to be 100000 times better than whatever manual 50hp diesel cuckbox you drive. Good luck even having the option to buy a v6 Camry or accord (2.0 turbo now) in cvt OR manual. Lmfao.

Will he is correct in his post, hes omitting some info. auto trans are just not that unreliable anymore that you need to worry about trans rebuild. There are exceptions but the majority of modern autos trans are just good. Make sure to change the fluid and filter and keep it oiled up obviously and don't be moron and shit to reverse while moving forward or something stupid. Now if you keep a car for 15 years, or 15 years from now buy a car from this year that auto will come to bite you in the ass with a rebuild. I dont know how long a manual last and will need overhaul compare to an auto of the same age but if your buying a car that old well what do you expect even a toyota will have issues.

While i agree with the begging of your post, the rest not so much. Even a mustang, camaro or chevy ss, etc, etc have the regular run of the mill auto trans and are the same if not even faster or at least most consistent acceleration times than a manual. Not really hard or expensive cars to get. Now under $10k well that might just be because all the cars in that range are 20 year old. But modern affordable around $15-20k its what should be compered to not the older ones.

Because the less components a system has the more reliable it is. I don't have a need for an auto. I don't use my phone while I'm driving. I prefer the driving experience. All the people I know who have autos use their phones while driving. They're irresponsible and shouldn't be allowed to drive if they can't put down their phones for 5 minutes.

Why would you want a manual when autos are better overall, their faster,have consistent acceleration times, reliable, and cut out the biggest problem of all human error?

This bait has gone on long enough and OP is now stupider for believing any of it.

Just let the thread die OP and do your research. Unless you have a performance DCT, manual will be faster. And most cars don’t have one.
Manual is also cheaper to maintain and fix, and are as reliable as autos. Also it makes auto owners jealous because theyre too lazy/stupid to learn how to drive standard, so they make bait posts instead.

Because they're slower around a track compared to an equivalent manual and that's the only speed related metric that matters. More drivetrain losses, more weight, useless in automatic mode.

Anything else is just endangering the public

>muh toegay
>muh stoplights
endangering. the. public.

I have never seen bait scream bait. Post proof or get out. Also implying people here cant drive standard. The majority do.

The proof is this very thread, dumbass
All the angry autofags here prove me 100% correct, including your post

Ayyy bikebro. I'm with you on some points but some bike manufacturers are fucking shit up. Granted, most are plebbit bikes.

Yamaha is really fucking up thanks to NIPPON STEEL KOBE STEEL STRONG crankshafts. Plenty of crankshafts have been broken at the exact same spot throughout the 2014, 15 and 16 models. Their R3, the reddit theme bike, is a pile of dogshit for various reasons

Jewsuki's SV650 has had oil starvation problems since forever and still does.

Aprilia and ducati tried to kike out on fuel tanks and bought them from acerbis, now plenty of fuel tanks are deformed and misshapen due to ethanol in fuel.

Just saying senpai, some are dropping the ball

with auto transmission you can steer with your knees while lighting a bowl and snorting coke and fingerbanging your hot girlfriend drunk

Because I don't give a fuck about those few tenths of a second around a track or at the drag strip. I'm not a super skilled pro driver. I'd rather have the feeling of rowing through the gears and being focused on controlling the car.

I get that new modern autos are great, but I still want a manual for the feel of it.

Because you can only do drifts and burnouts in manual

>not doing all of that in a manual
Its like youre some kind of virgin faggot or something

>manuals have regressed
Uh, no buddy.

>lurk moar

get the fuck off my board with your fucking nigger spam newfag

Better than driving stick WITH your stick

Nah, just stagnated

Nice projection brah, lemme fuck your boipucci first

You're absolutely wrong that it isn't an option on most cars. When's the last time you browsed a car company's website, idiot? Every econobox under the sun sold in the US has a lower trim level that has a manual option.

Dude, I'm serious. The same SHIT threads happen EVERY DAY. Learn basic pattern recognition.