So Toyota has been partnering with different companies to make their recent sports cars

So Toyota has been partnering with different companies to make their recent sports cars.

The GT86 is a rebirth of the AE86 with a Subaru engine
The """"Supra"""" is a rebirth of the supra (obviously) with a BMW engine

So obviously they're trying to introduce some idea of heritage here. The Subaru engine was everywhere in motorsports and the engines they've made haven't changed much at all. It draws parallels to the AE86. BMW is the only manufacturer (as far as I know) that still has faith in the I6. What's a supra without an inline 6?

Those are two of the three legendary Toyota sports cars. What about our poor MR2? So if a new MR2 follows a new supra, who's making the engine? Theyd have to have some mid engine pedigree.

Maybe Porche? Maybe Honda? What do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.toyota.co.uk/tada-how-toyota-and-subaru-created-the-gt86
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Porsche-Toyota MRS

stop, I can only get so erect

>cayman based toyota mrs

Lotus would work together with them on the next MR2 definitely.

A former Lotus engineer did a shit load of design work on the SW20's suspension, and Lotus and Toyota work together occasionally (by means of Lotus licensing engines, such as the 2ZZ).

didn't mazda and toyota recently partner up to build a factory (in the US)?
wonder what else they're planning

Maybe partner with Bedford?

The Rascal was mid-engine after all

Just a hunch, but I think they'd try to design their small sports car entirely in house.

I think the S-FR is more likely than an MR2 as well. They're probably announcing it at the end of the week either way.

ironically enough, the main thing Toyota added to the GT86 are arguably the worst part

>dual injection
designed with fuel economy rather than performance in mind, the switching between port and direct injection under certain load/rpm conditions resulted in the dual power-band "torque dip" meme.

Its like Toyota has just lost the ability to make good sports cars, and need to outsource so other companies.

The worst part of the 86 is the retarded boxer engine and you know it.

>Its like Toyota has just lost the ability to make good sports cars, and need to outsource so other companies.
thats because they have

kek, more like best part

New Previa amirite?

>didn't mazda and toyota recently partner up to build a factory (in the US)? wonder what else they're planning

building a non shit replacement for the current 86

THIS THREAD IS FROM AN ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSE WHERE THEN LOTUS EXIGE AND/OR ELISE DO NOT EXIST.

This. It has a great chassis. That car would've been so much better with a high revving I4 like the S2000 had.

>That car would've been so much better with a high revving I4 like the S2000 had.

anyone that didn't like the torque dip of the boxer will definitely not like the s2000 engine

Is it just me or are they just farming out work to other companies and slapping their name on it?

They just wanted a Yaris replacement for the states. As in Mazda 2s with Toyota badges on it.

>anyone that didn't like the torque dip of the boxer will definitely not like the s2000 engine
But the S2000 engine makes like 40 more horsepower and more torque you goddamn retard.

For bigger Japanese auto makers, it can be significantly cheaper to build a factory in the US to make vehicles for the US, as opposed to building them all in Japan and shipping overseas.
Mazda is probably tagging along because they're a smaller company and need to take every opportunity they can.

As for just farming things out, Toyota's lineup has become really homogenous, and they've shied away from performance vehicles, so the thought process seems to be that partnering with other companies who have more prominent performance models is the most efficient way to get back into that niche.

Can someone explain this meme

And and it's a $40k car in today's money you sperglord.

Wasn't the 3S a Yamaha engine? Maybe they'll go back to them?

>Hey guys
>Let's make a car marketed solely on its handling
>And then put macpherson struts in the front because the retarded engine takes up all of the room
>Then let's give it a massive power dip and fucking prius tyres for good measure
>Sports car!

What about the CELICA ?

Hopefully not.
The market's saturated with "sporty" FWD cars.

What about it?

tC
toyota Celica

What makes the boxer layout bad by itself? You change your spark plugs every time you change your oil?

The gt86 is a cross between the 2000gt and the ae86, hence the "gt". Read the article published by the engineers who created it, it is quite fascinating why they did what they did.

The celica became the supra. The newer celicas were trash.

The TC is a fatass tho

Yeah and Celicas have been trash since they discontinued the 4wd models

Supposedly it makes for not enough room for a better suspension though no one ever said the handling was a week point for the twins.

Really it's just because it's underpowered. Maybe because it's annoying to fit a blower in there also. Not sure. Never done it, just regurgitating the fruits of my own lurking.

>Celicas have been trash since they hit the streets
Ftfy

Yep, hence the placement of the steering rack. Handling is brilliant despite the tradeoff from low CoG to where the weight is placed of the axles and how to set up the suspension to compensate.

Power and response are indeed the easymode remediations. Those don't require physical redesign.

blog.toyota.co.uk/tada-how-toyota-and-subaru-created-the-gt86

Very intersting indeed, oand honestly, I'm glad about all these decisions; when I walk up to my BRZ I always think about how cool the low nose is...and that really what this car is all about: make you feel good for a reasonable price.

Not a car for everybody, sure, but for me they nailed a lot of things.

>The GT86 is a rebirth of the AE86 with a Subaru engine

Subaru electrics, Subaru brakes, Subaru suspension, Subaru gearbox, Subaru Diff, Subaru manufactured chassis and body panels. Most reliable Toyota currently on sale.

>didn't mazda and toyota recently partner up to build a factory (in the US)?

Maybe they want to fix the shit power and torque output and reliability of the ND Miata.

The one that has been in the top 10 engines in the world 4 out of the last 5 years? Sperg more retard.