THIS. THIS BULLSHIT RIGHT HERE

THIS. THIS BULLSHIT RIGHT HERE.

I need to move away from this fucked country.

>25% increase in insurance for an aftermarket air filter
>16% for new upholstery
>36% INCREASE IN INSURANCE COSTS HAVING FOR BETTER BRAKES

>parking sensors
>tow bar
are there legit ways to make your car insurance rates lower?

i hear some 2 door coupes have 2+2 conversions (you can then register as a sedan or something)
also, some cars have automatic seabelts

what else?

>not buying a track-prepped car from the factory
You are not an engineer, don't think you can do better than the combined efforts of many.

Am I doing something wrong?

I don't think my insurance people have ever even seen my car

Is this a non-US thing?

Right cause upgrading your brakes makes you a mad man being the wheel. Good too see safety is only a priority behind profiteering.

I think you're alright, I'm coming to you from Bongland.

Right, because engineers don't design bolt on components.

gee i wonder who could be behind this

Insurance has always been and will always be a numbers game. I'm willing to bet, from a purely actuarial standpoint, upgraded brakes are predominantly installed on cars driven by relatively risky policy-holders. The perceived effect on safety has nothing to do with it -- the only thing insurance carriers are concerned with are claim frequency and payouts.

If 6 out of 10 policy holders with upgraded brakes experience an uptick in claims rates and/or severity, the carrier adjusts their actuarial tables and premiums are subsequently raised. It isn't, nor should it be, the insurance company's responsibility to prioritize safety over profiteering. In fact, if the insurer is publicly traded, it's likely they are more legally bound to produce profits than to save lives.

Those are a scam as well as smog checks.

>more legally bound to produce profits than to save lives.
oy vey

>36% increase for better fucking brakes than what it left the factory with

I'm going to take a guess and say you live in Straya, NZ or some 3rd world yuropoor shithole where the only car most people can afford is a 1.0L cuckbox

>brake upgrades +36%
>suspension upgrades +25%
>wider tires +18%

I mean, I can see them increasing your premiums if your a stancetard and your suspension "upgrades" consist of lowering the car until it scrapes on road reflectors and so much camber that your tires barely touch the ground and your wider tires are stretched to fuck, but otherwise...

Amazing track car but the majority of people want a fast balanced DD and street-track cars like zl1 are to hard/rough to drive on the street. So they get normal cars and upgrade what ever parts they feel lacking and still keep other conveniences. Also cheaper or just plain more affordable to buy a cheap car and make it fast than buy a $50k car since not many people can buy a car around that price.

These are the backdoor forcing of electric cars by the government

>raising rates for ADA compliance
Seems discriminatory

So get parking sensors and a tow bar for a big 33% savings.

How does anyone prove 90% of this is aftermarket? How are the insurance companies gonna know?

i've declared my engine mods (cams, manifold, exhaust, ecu flash) and suspension mods (coilovers, ARBs). added about £100 or ~20% total. i don't see the problem

>ADA
>website is from the UK
They don't have an ADA there bud

>paying less every month for a rolling tin can than I was for a V8 mommymobile with airbags, antilock brakes, SWAY BARS, overhead stop lamp, and 3 mirrors

>safety features make a car more expensive to own

only in freedomland™®

>Drastically reduce your braking performance
I sleep
>Put a hood scoop on
REAL SHIT

Then you just pay more to begin with.

>drop modest turbo kit with a tune into low displacement shitbox for 200hp
>insurance more than doubles

>drop a 350hp engine with stock turbo into same shitbox
>30% increase in insurance cost

>sunroof, a/c, stripes/decals increase insurance costs

what the fuck

Stripes is a bit ricey and is a sign of bad thigs to come. But, AC? In the summer where i live you can argue that it's dangerous not to have AC.

>implying you actually tell your insurance about your mods

yea its rice but has zero effect on the car itself. they even charge you more for getting a paintjob it seems.

I had to tell mine about the mods, since it's an agreed value policy they sent a guy to look it over. It's not too expensive though, classic car insurance usually isn't.

Upgrading all that shit means you plan on using your car for a toy, not basic transportation like the average person. Toys tend to end up in ditches.

>wider wheels with more traction
>better brakes
>increase insurance
what the fuck

>bigger brakes will make over a 30% cost in insurance

If there's an insurance adjuster out there can you please explain this to me, because no matter which way I think about this it doesn't make sense. Sure one user has a point that people who upgrade their brakes are a higher risk, but couldn't one argue that they would be an even greater risk with shittier brakes??

Allegedly makes a car more valuable and interesting for upstanding melanin-enriched gentlemen on the prowl.

Ah i guess that makes sense.

>base model RX-7 FC
>turbo NA rotary to factory spec: 137% increase
>swap factory turbo rotary: 29% increase

the whole point is that the people who modify are also the people who race or drive recklessly on the tooj

No, if you swap a turbo engine in you still get the turbo mod increase, so.

>base model RX-7 FC
>turbo NA rotary to factory spec: 137% increase
>swap NA aluminum V8 or V6 with more power and torque than an FD's 13B: 29% increase

This chart only gets worse when you live in South Fucking Florida. Moving to a state that's basically pennies for insurance soon, the nightmare will be over for me and my 4 wheeled baby.

But user, that chart is from bongistan not america's penis.

>wheelchair kit increases insurance premium

Seriously, fuck them.

Rates also go up for aftermarket stereos too, even just headunits too, at least mine did under Progressive but it wasn't much like a couple of bucks maybe, especially since it wasn't parked in the ghetto

Manufacturers need to account for cost and reliability. Sometimes saftey as well. An owner can choose to forgo those options for better performance.

I can upgrade the uppipe to a catless uppipe on my WRX because Subaru was forced to put a cat in it, but I'm not forced to keep it.
I can buy a higher quality and higher flowing down pipe and exhaust that has been designed and tested by engineers substantially more than the original downpipe and exhaust ever was.
I can install an H-brace and strut tower braces to increase the rigidity because Subaru didn't from factory since it would have cost substantially more.
I can install a larger rear sway bay that will reduce the effects of understeer and make the car more prone to oversteer. Subaru made it understeer so normies wouldn't spin out and kill themselves but I'm not that normies and know how to handle an oversteering vehicle.
I can tune my vehicle for other performance parts that didn't come installed from factory. Also my tune can sacrifice fuel economy for performance where as Subaru couldn't do that.
I recently wired in a diode in a voltage sending wire to my alternator. It creates a half bolt drop due to resistance and tricks the voltage regulator in the alternator to outputting another half volt. This is important because I have HID headlights on a car that didn't come stock with them and when they're on, they created a voltage drop that can affect the performance of the coilpacks while at full throttle in the mid-range of the power band. The voltage bump up from the diode eliminates this issue.

Most aftermarket parts have more engineering hours into them than the individual OEM parts that come on your car.
Also I am an engineer. But that shouldn't matter. A good engineer will always make a car with room for improvement unless it's a multi-million dollar supercar with no compromises.

I'll have you know I am an engineer you fuck. So when I nigger my shit together I know it's gonna kill me.

thiiiiiissssssssssssssssss

if you're modifying the performance of your car, your insurer is going to assume you're a boy racer driving like a cunt everywhere.

>not buying alienware computers

Stop building your own computers you're not a computer scientist you can't do better than our dell overlords.

>cars are generic legos

>not understanding what an analogy is

It's the difference between a 30 piece Lego set and a 300 piece Lego set. Lego is Lego.

What an ugly turd

Unless you built your car from a bare shell you are just buying a (probably used) dell and modifying it

>not understanding why your analogy is wrong

>not gutting your car and putting in a whole new drivetrain

Fucking plebs

it's still a dell

We aren't talking about dell. We're talking about building your own cars and computers and how they're related.
Please work on your reading comprehension and get your GED before posting here again.

This is the UK.

You didn't build your own car.
You modified a car that was already built by an automaker.
So your analogy is false.

Please work on your inductive reasoning and get your GED before posting her

TFW not legally obligated to vuy insurance

does anyone else here actually have experience of insuring a modified car in the UK? all i see is people posting "lol UK is shit" but i'm interested to hear how much other people's quotes increased in practice

i'm btw

>implying they aren't

kek

Replacing the entire drivetrain on a chassis is the same as replacing all of the components of a computer within a chassis. You seem to lack basic knowledge of anything that we're trying to discuss here and instead latch on to easy to understand words such as "dell" and "GED" and try to expand your shitpost upon that.

You seem to be thinking that I'm talking about fabricating your own actual components when I'm talking about taking already fabricated parts and putting them in a chassis to work together hence "building" your car or computer.

L2read

bolt that to anything other than a 2.0l SKYACTIV-G

No it isn't dumbfuck
You can run a computer outside a case just fine.
Try driving your engine and transmission to work.

>only in freedomland™®
Beaters are cheap in the US to insure. Insurance companies don't care if you die horrifically, so long as they only have to payout for a cheap car. Or not at all if it's liability only.

No shit your safety and health isn't their obligation. Their entire business is insuring your car.

Insurance companies in Canada have unanimously tried to ban RHD cars from being registered because they believe that they're too unsafe. If they only cared about money they wouldn't care about something like that.

They would if their claim-payout increases are higher than the amount they could charge in premium increases while still making the same amount of sales.

wtf just don't tell your insurance company you have them?

Refreshing post right here

No, the perceived safety net of having better brakes enables the driver to take greater, less calculated risks under the assumption that they'll be safer by it. Shittier brakes would be a limiting factor to their behavior.

>because they believe that they're too unsafe.
>falling for that bullshit

You're fucking retarded
"muh safety" is classic justification for banning something you don't like because you're ideologically opposed to it or don't like what it represents to your business. Look at the american 25 year import rule; it's 100% because the dealerships didn't like losing business through grey imports and how did they sell it to the lawmakers?
>muh federal safety requirements
>muh emissions

>since it wasn't parked in the ghetto
Not that guy, I moved and rates went from $179/month to $129/month. Where you live makes a big deal. So if you are choosing apartments, factor in the different insurance rate as part of your "monthly rent costs". Maybe living in that more expensive apartment ends up cheaper if the lower insurance rate helps.

Why would the insurance companies care about that? RHD insurance is highway robbery in most of Canada and companies should be more than happy to take your money just so you can drive it legally

>It isn't, nor should it be, the insurance company's responsibility to prioritize safety over profiteering. In fact, if the insurer is publicly traded, it's likely they are more legally bound to produce profits than to save lives.

ah capitalism

The insurance companies have most likely reasoned that they'd lose customers if they increased RHD premiums to an amount that fully covers the losses they incur from those claims, so the books don't balance and they want RHD cars gone.

Keep in mind that the companies don't sell any "loss-leader" products, so every policy type needs to have a clear, predictable profit margin. Even if they do make huge overall profits at year-end they still won't tolerate one policy that loses.

Considering the amount of people who mod their cars and then don't report it to insurance, don't they really stand to get more money if mods only moderately increase insurance rates, thus achieving much better compliance?

So you're clearly not the same person as then

Why would they spend the time and money on trying to ban them anyway rather than just jacking up the rates further to where they'd make a profit? If the latter resulted in no one being able to drive then then it'd be almost the same result with less invested and a few more potential customers than they would've had had Canada banned them altogether

>brake upgrade increases insurance

No, because they don't pay out if you crash an uninsured car.

so if you fit a towbar you can have coilovers?

>-13% for tow bar
Why?

people who have tow bars have less accident probably

>no one has refuted this

I don't have any car replacement shit on my insurance. I'll eat $3k of replacing my car if it ever happens.

But what if the upgrade is from all-drums with no booster, to boosted front drums, while still be a slow-as-hell 6 cylinder?

*upgrade to boosted front disc, rear still drum