Help, I was doing stupid "donuts" in my 1991 miata and when I was done, my steering became super hard to turn...

Help, I was doing stupid "donuts" in my 1991 miata and when I was done, my steering became super hard to turn. Did I died my car?

no you fucked up the power steering pump somehow

yes you dieded the car

welcome to the manual steering club, enjoy your superior road feel and horrible parking experiences

Road feel is actually worse because it feels like a boat now
Rip in piece
Sounds good. I thought I messed up my front suspension

>Road feel is actually worse because it feels like a boat now
car is dieded, i'm sorry...

did you remember to lubricate the tailpipe first?

Does the PS fluid smell like burnt hair?

Easiest thing to check is if the power steering belt has come off

Rotate your tires.

You may have just thrown the power steering belt if it's separate instead of a serpentine. (I don't know, just speculating)

PS belt goes to crank and AC if applicable.
Separate belt does water pump and alternator.

Ok, so AC might also be dead.

Pop the hood, OP.

Check ya power steering, belt maybe worn, fallen off, check the pump for any leaks and blockages.

>enjoy your superior road feel

With a manual rack? Yes, absolutely. A dead pas rack feels like dogshit, especially in the na mx5, less turns lock to lock make the steering way too stiff to allow good road feel.

Yeah nah she's completely fucked now, you'll have to scrap it and buy a new one.

this. when you were doing donuts you probably had the steering wheel cranked all the way in one direction, you know the point where it can't turn anymore.

next time you do donuts dont do that

fuck outta here with that reddit shit.

a bit off topic but, how do you keep a car running for that long? I have a car from around the same era and it makes so much noise and i just want it to run nicely. Theres a feeling in the back of my mind that says its gonna break down every time I go for a drive. I just want to enjoy my car.

Same thing happened to me check if the power steering/a.c. band fell off

Once upon a time I was doing some sick drifts in my truck and the power steering died. Drove around for the rest of the day and then went home and the next morning my power steering was once again functional and I haven't had a problem since. Maybe this will be the same for you OP good luck.
I'd also like to note that the accessory belt on my truck was way over tensioned at the time and perhaps that was the cause of the issue in the first place, not sure.

I've blown the pump before

they don't take to full rpm and full lock you'll keep blowing it.

Replace everything. Every single suspension component. It will breathe new life into your shitbox.