Okay Veeky Forums, tell why I shouldn't buy a foxbody and 351w swap it

Okay Veeky Forums, tell why I shouldn't buy a foxbody and 351w swap it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/A7-IG5Bf7xM
mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1407-how-to-push-a-junkyard-351-windsor-past-1000-hp/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because you think the bay area sideshow scene is for degenerates.

it is but i'm interested

Because an LS is better than a 351w.

in b4 buttflustered ford fanboys

get an svo instead and enjoy the best mustang of that generation

Because it doesn't cause as much rage as a 350 SBC swap

Since Foxbodys are entering collectible territory, you should just restore one to stock. But if you still want the old Foxbody experience, hell yeah 351 swap it. Forge that shit, cam/intake/heads, and a 150 shot and that shit will fuck everyone

>daily reminder no LS has ever ran a 5 second 1/4 mile
If he wants a real fast car he needs to do a coyote swap.

keep the 5.0, 61mm turbo, run 10s till the block splits

then get a dart block and go ham

Except he didnt ask "how do I build a 5 second foxbody"

He didn't ask for a slow Foxbody either.

>keep the 5.0
It's a 4-cyl.

Get a 5.slow, keep it stock and make it nice.

i would only do the 351w if you really wanted to use the block to build a 393 or 408 stroker. Otherwise just keep the 302 and do h/c/i and some boost or nitrious

>MUH 5 SECOND QUARTER MILE
Daily reminder that most people have zero interest in building a retarded fast drag car and would rather have something that is fun to drive on the street

Because it's ugly as sin

>he hasn't seen all the 5 second, LS swapped, mustang videos.

Typical Ford Fan, your bantz are like your cars.

A few years behind.

So the LS still doesn't apply? The 5.0 is fun to drive on the street, the 351 is fun for the sound, the 4.6 and 5.4 modulate are fun for the street and the drag, and the new 5.0s are good at all of that.

No they aren't. Fox bodies, epically non 5.0s, are a dime a dozen and sell for like 1500-2000. Keep in mind most people hold Fox bodies to the same regard as the Mustang II.

>hurt durr the LS can fit in my miata xD so it's better *gargles cock*

LS is lighter and makes more power and torque NA than a 302, MUCH lighter than pigfat 351. 4.6 and 5.4 modular are wide and very heavy - new 5.0s twice the price of an LS.

T. Runs a Coyote swapped car in American Iron class.

Actually asking, don't the SVO's have bad handling and suspension in comparion to the 1984+ GTs?

Unlesss you willing to put in some decent work and money, then just find a 5.0.

Me and my brother went through a fucking nightmare swapping his 4 cylinder for a 5.0 on his 85.

Where in the fuck do you live that foxbodies are that cheap? At this point I'm considering buying one in the US and importing to Canada cause they're expensive here.

>this was his best comeback after he got btfo watching 5 seond LS swapped shitstangs

Oh look, someone with experiance who knows what he's talking about.

Youre not welcome here.

Midwest America bruh. They are everywhere.

don't steal our shit you leaf

because a 5.3 would be better for the work involved in getting a 351w in there

all zero of them

there isnt a single 5 second LS powered car

For the sake of the discussion, you admit that the Coyote is well worth the price, when compared to the LS?

Eh... Only if you're intent on sticking with ford or must as a result of rules it is the better choice. Otherwise, each engine has benefits and drawbacks vs the other. I have zero brand loyalty, no fanboyism on this matter, so I think I'm fairly unbiased. Objectively; the LS series of engines are a bit lighter and noticeably more compact than the Coyote. The Coyote has higher specific power output and revs higher, it also has a more sophisticated VVT arrangement than LS engines and better cylinder heads. Problem is, the higher specific output is kind of made pointless since your smaller displacement engine doesn't weigh less or take up less space due to wider DOHC cylinder heads.

I'm running a Coyote in my car since it's the best choice allowed by rules. For a street driven or trackday (not bound by rules) foxbody where a lighter, more powerful engine than stock is desired, an LS would be a better choice IMO. It's narrower and thus easier to fit, a bit lighter, and generally cheaper than a Coyote. It also has torque on its side, which is admittedly great in a street car.

In order to compete with an LS power and torque wise, your Coyote would need to be closer in displacement, because that impressive cylinder head flow only takes you so far before cubic inches make the gains in head flow moot. A stroker 344ci Coyote engine of similar displacement to a small 350ci LS costs 2x plus what said small LS costs. They aren't old enough to be available used in large numbers like LS.

Not him, but price aside, the coyote inches ahead of the LS.

But of course. Price ia a huge factor in parts. A $10,000 engine should outperform a $1000. But when you have a stock $10,000 going against a $1000 engine with $9000 worth of parts. The more expensive and better performing stock engine begins to fall behind the now built up $1000 engine.

You get more bang for the buck with a LS but a better out of the box performance from the coyote.

Gotta tell you, you aren't going to find an LS engine for $1,000. That's a meme. You might find an aluminum L77 or whatever truck motor for that much if you're lucky, but not a true LS engine.

Prices weren't literal. Just an illustration to help explain .

Like I said before, it's easily twice the price when you get down to it. Coyotes just aren't ubiquitous enough to compete with LS, dollar for dollar. Maybe if you compare new crate engines - but who in their right mind would buy a new crate LS when a used one can be refreshed then modified for less money?

Why would you run a small block when big blocks exist?

And don't even try to say "muh handling" because Foxes don't go around a corner worth a damn anyway so you might as well max out on the acceleration points.

Basically what I was getting at.
You CAN build a killer an LS for a lot less than building a coyote.
Not to mention a lot of guys who run LSs have pulled and refurbished them.

Big blocks are expensive and I'm always worried my 572 will break :(

Shes my baby.

>he didn't take 5 seconds to google it
youtu.be/A7-IG5Bf7xM
an LS mustang, no less

That's an 1/8.

Were talking 1/4.

Oh shiiiit. The LS can only run a 5 sec 1/8, that's hilarious

They corner fine for a street car when you do basic suspension mods. They can actually be fast with enough mods, that does get expensive though. Later chassis are better in every way. Even fox bodies and turd gens handle well and corner fast when prepared for the appropriate racing series such as CMC or American Iron. Granted, I wouldn't say my mustang handles as well as say an E46 M3 based on experience, but it's fine and it corners fast.

They run 6 second 1/4 all the time. 5s isn't unheard of on an LS block either.

But honestly. You guys are arguing over engines that are literally only LSs in name. These 6-5 second cars are so overhauled and overbuilt that you have to basically be retarded to claim the LS is a 5 second engine. These guys use and build so much custom parts and shit you'd have a hell of a time replicating any of their builds. And then there's the fact that the motor isn't even the only thing that determines if a car will run 5s. If you wanna argue drag cars, argue which block can handle more power without shitting the bed.

Seriously though, drag racing is a testament to one's building, tunning, and launching skills.

Not who has the better block.

This. And honestly once you get a feel for it, Fox bodies, 3-4 gen f bodies, and SN95 s all corner just fine and are fun as shit to fly through corners in.

Just get a 5.0 and build it. The Ford 302 IMO is one of the best sounding V8s. It's also pretty bullet proof and you'll be able to find some good aftermarket stuff for it.

Can confirm. My 97 gt can take corners relatively safely but leaves the "lolcantturn"meme in the back of your head just long enough to terrify you. Kinda exhilarating.

Get a dart 363 block. It's the same dimensions as the 302, but is beefier and has 4 bolt splayed caps and is also 363 cubic inches

>2500 pounds
>rwd v8
>450 hp
>less than $5,000 all said and done
People don't know what they have

This. Basically the cheapest hot rod you can get.

Nigga foxbodies are overpriced as fuck here. I'd rather go through hell with importing a car than put myself $4k in the hole.

How are foxbodys without engine swaps? I want one and upgrade suspension and maybe some bolt ons.

I had a 2011 5.0 and raced a foxbody with a 351 and we were basically door to door, so that's a pretty quick car for the price

>don't the svo's have bad handling and suspension compared to an 84 GT

actually it was the opposite, the SVO had some of the best handling in it's generation, with gas adjustable Koni struts and shocks all the way around and rear Koni quad shocks the SVO had great handling, the biggest problem with the SVO was that it was more of a race car then a daily driver so it had trouble on wet or icy roads and it was more car then a lot of people were drivers, with plenty of people crashing due to their inexperience, other then that the SVO was a powerful as a naturally aspirated V8 and in 84 at 175 hp and then had a power bump in 86.5 to 200 hp.

your parents said the same about you buy they kept you

Annnnnnnnnd finally someone says it.

>big blocks vs small blocks
This is still an argument???

Foxbodies are the go-to poor mans hotrod along with the 3rd gen and SN95.

This. Just find a 5.0.

>mfw

Suck my ass, faggot.

Fugget about it.

>Foxbody
>collectable
Lol

>
Unironically this.
351 a shit.

302 is the ideal v8 for a hobbyist on a budget, there are very well established inexpensive paths to 300+hp and the transmissions will hold it. Over 300hp in and under 3000lb is fun on a bun, if slightly scary at times.

Then stop buying our sloppy seconds Skylines

You can hit 375 torque and 450 horsepower on pump gas with a good set of heads ($2000) and decent intake

That was a shitty 351. He should've smoked you

Fuck, around here even molested ones start at $5k.

Probably a truck engine from 1988.

>destroy trans
>crack block
You want 300 wheel max on a stock powertrain.

Ya the 5.blow's are known for being semi weak, but a stock healthy late model HO short block roller 5.0 will do 500 at the crank all the day long (especially NA with a decent tune and keeping the ripums's in reason). The glass t5 on the other hand...

If you want more than that find a roller 351 and have at it.

mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1407-how-to-push-a-junkyard-351-windsor-past-1000-hp/

5.0 block and world class T5 will be okay behind 500 horsepower on the street. Launching it at 5 grand on slicks and drag racing every weekend will kill it