Can you give me a little insight in the topic credit card vs debit card

Can you give me a little insight in the topic credit card vs debit card.

Im a college student and recently I got my debit card because I started to work for a company.

Im happy because I never felt comfortable using cash (I dont like going around with tons of cash in my pockets when I have to buy something).

But I've noticed some places offer only credit card payment and they dont accept debit cards.

So what should I do m8s, is it the same as a debit card if I get a credit card and always pay the entire price at once ?

Also explain me the prons and cons of each one. I never felt like having a credit card because I dont spend a lof of money (id rather save) but idk

Other urls found in this thread:

nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/credit-card-companies-lying-application/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Get a credit card, and spend the same amount as you would a debit. ALWAYS pay back within interest free period

As a result, your credit score goes up

Other than building a positive credit score why would I rather use a credit one than a debit one ?

Because you need to be a good goy.

just don't. there isn't.

there's no real tangible benefit for using a credit card other than "spending money you don't have"

Debit card works 100% like a credit card so I think your "credit card only" story is bullshit. but in the case that it's not: just fucking pretend that it is. tell them that it is a credit card and use it like normal. there is no difference in the eyes of a merchant and anyone saying "credit cards only" is a fucking jew

idk i dont live in usa m8 ive seen a few places where there was only credit card but idk why

Don't listen to this dude. It is way easier to deal with fraud and shitty sellers. With a credit card you can just refuse to pay and charge back. With a debit card it's harder and you have to deal with more bullshit.

credit card has better fraud protection and it's easier to cancel purchases made from a stolen card

both missing the most obvious advantage: cashback

It's literally a free >2% back on money you were going to use on gas/groceries anyway if you get the right card. Most people can't even manage 2% on stocks.

the only reason why i have credit card at all is the cashback. i could just use my debit otherwise as there is no such thing as credit score here.

When the business asks for credit over debit its because debit transactions use your PIN while credit uses your signature. Most restaurants use credit for this reason since they don't have a PIN machine, the transaction functions the same for credit/debit.

Credit cards are miles better but you need to manage your money more cautiously with it. You get rewards and benefits while with debit you don't. Only reason to get debit is if you don't spend regularly since having a stagnant credit card looks bad on your credit report.

Debit card
>Your cash directly charged from bank acc
Credit card
>Cash borrowed from a creditor

As far as places not accepting debit, they all accept cash right?
Credit cards aren't evil you just need to be responsible with them. If you plan to use it as a backup, don't get one with a high limit. When you make a purchase, set aside that money (mentally or otherwise) and pay it off as soon as possible.
It's easy to make frequent high price purchases with a card because you're not seeing that money go and won't really need to pay immediately. Be smart and responsible and build your credit score.

Look up the protections credit cards offer vs debit cards.

They are similar but different. Credit cards offer more protections. There is a difference between a chargeback and section 75 in the UK. Minimum amounts/maximum time frames / evidence required etc... Why these protections arn't extended to to debit cards I do not know or understand. I would imagine it has something to do with the customer being able to telling the bank to shove it up their arse along with their credit score when the company goes bankrupt for a prepayment and they are expected to pay $100 a month to pay for it.

I personally don't use credit cards and will never have one if I can help it. But sometimes you need credit cards for types of rentals etc... But you get your money back if a company goes bankrupt in certain circumstances with credit cards which you don't with debit cards. It was a regular thing with airlines in the 00s. They would bankrupt every 6 months leaving thousands of people thousands out of pocket and only credit card customers would be refunded.

You get cashback etc... and deals with credit cards which are great if you use them, or can claim back costs through a company and pocket the air miles for yourself etc...

But if you don't have 6 months+ expenses and the ability to pay off the credit card even if you lose your job the day your car engine fails and you need to go to hospital as your roof collapses a day after you forgot to renew your insurance then you shouldn't really be using one. Which is kinda messed up... Because that's what they're for :)

>Most people can't even manage 2% on stocks.
ahahaha what a retard

>It is way easier to deal with fraud and shitty sellers

yeah by passing the losses from your incompetence on to everyone else right? kys faggots you are part of the problem.

>places not accepting debit
W-what?
This exists?
Only in merica I presume.

Credit cards are loans

Debit card is your money that you deposited in the bank

See

usually if you want to rent a car they want to see a credit card. or you have to pay huge deposit in cash or via transfer.

>Not making retards with credit card debt pay for your fraud prevention
>Not profiting off of those who lost their jobs and are now relying on their credit to get by
It's like you don't even want free legal money

Hey fuckwads if you don't have good advice just keep quiet. Seriously every credit card thread you folks come out of the wood work jerking your dick over shit your retarded parents taught you or some homeless man screamed at you one day and in your brain (which lacks any semblance of critical thinking) it lodged it itself like a cancer.

Just. Stop. Now.

The only reason to not use a credit card is if you can't handle the responsibility of treating it like money the actual money you have (aka not racking it up, paying it IN FULL every month, etc) or if their is some sort of discount for cash/debit. Otherwise you are missing out on cashback/rewards, the easiest way to build your credit, and better fraud/theft protection.

Not OP but question about signing up for credit cards: when they ask what your income is, is there any problem with lying and saying it's higher than it is? Do they have a way to verify or check somehow? What if someone DOES make a lot doing freelance off the books?

I've never been asked for proof of income. Just lowball it and you should be fine.

What I mean is, if I pretend my income is higher then it is, to get a higher credit limit, is there any "trouble" I can get into?

They could lower your limit or cancel your card.

But do credit card companies have some way to actually verify my income? Can they access government tax return data or something?

nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/credit-card-companies-lying-application/

It's illegal to lie, odds are you won't be caught but your mileage may vary.