Idiot Hit Me When I Was Parallel Parking

Hi Veeky Forums, I am hoping for some advice. I was parallel parking recently and some retard in his girlfriend's Toyota Corolla ran into my left front bumper.

I put my blinker on, pulled up to the car in front of the parking spot I was intending to park in, looked in my rear-view mirror and there were no cars behind me. I turned the wheel and started backing up and that's when this guy hit me. We exchanged information and when I got home I called my insurance company (Geico) and his, and filed a claim. I don't have full-coverage so Geico won't cover repairs to my vehicle, but I certainly don't want to pay for his repair. The adjuster hired by his insurance company came out to look at the minimal damage to my car, and he sounded like he thought it was the other driver's fault.

Anyway, the adjuster from Geico called me today and told me that Geico is accepting 100% liability for the accident. I told her I was very surprised and argued with her for a bit but she said based on my statement that I was backing up at the time, Geico feels I didn't look around carefully enough and it is all my fault. I told her to please see if the other insurance company will accept liability because I don't feel I am at fault at all, especially not 100% at fault. I think the other driver was speeding and not paying attention.

Doesn't the approaching car have any responsibility here? Any ideas on what to say to my bitch ass insurance company to get them to change their opinion? What the fuck am I paying them for if they blame me for an accident?

Even if you had collision, with how quick they pinned the accident on you, you would have been paying the deductible and the increased premiums. Sounds like you got shafted.

I don't understand why MY insurance company, that I have been loyal to for several years and had a completely clean driving record with, be so quick to assume it was my fault. Is there some benefit to them to accept responsibility?

You say it like the insurance company is your friend and theyre here to look out for you. They really dont care about you, you know.

Every day threads like these make me glad I spent a small amount of money to buy a dashcam and protect myself from shit like this.

You're under this impression that the insurance companies give a shit about loyalties or anything like that. Their job is to make as much money as possible. They don't care about you, you're just a number on a spreadsheet.

Yeah I now understand they don't give a fuck about me. I know all they care about is money, but I would think it would be more profitable to them to NOT accept responsibility for the accident. What do they have to gain for accepting liability?

Also, any recommendations on dashcams to buy to protect myself from shit like this?

>parking on the street
>not looking where you're going
it's your fault. please never drive again.

Rexing v1 is good for about 100 bucks. G1W is good for about 50.

>I got hit
>so I filed a claim with my insurance instead of his
You retard. That's not how it works.

>going through insurance for that
itll pop right out op

Not paying for legal fees, they far outweigh what they pay to the other person. If you had collision on your policy they might give a shit, but they've run the algorithm and they arent protecting you. Keep fighting them on it though, they may cave

This. Don't stop fighting it. Argue for hours. Keep insisting to talk to someone higher up, keep threatening to take your business elsewhere. They don't care about you as a person, but they don't want to admit it, so call them out on how long you've been a customer, and insist that you thought it was their job to protect their clients. Be an asshole, as shitty as it sounds, and you'll get things your way.

I reported it to my insurance company and filed a claim with his.

Thanks. This makes sense. I doubt this guy has enough money to hire an attorney. If Geico still accepts full liability I will switch to some other insurance company. What a scam.

>Rexing v1
I'm concerned about powering it.. how are people mounting it seemingly without wires?

You tuck the wires into the headliner. You should be able to find a switched +12 V up there.

It depends on the negligence standards of your state. Some states say that if an insurance company is able to say the other party is even 1% at fault then they can barre recovery. The most common example we use is improper lookout but a pretty funny one we use is failure to avoid an accident lol.

It plugs right into a cigarette lighter. You can either jam the wires into the headliner or just have it hanging down.

>protect myself from shit like this
anytime people want to involve insurance and it's not your fault, call the police
a police report will save you unmeasurable time and dicking around with shitheel insurance agents

Why the hell do retards never call the cops when you get in an accident, it's literally the first thing you should do.

They come out and determine fault immediately so there's less to worry about later on.

Most of the time the cops wont come out unless its over a certain amount of damage, and if you try to lie and say its over that amount, then, depending on the size of the city, they cop will pull the Collision Reporting Center BS and make you go there.

OP, my question is, did the guy hit you from behind or the front? If he hit you coming from behind he should be 100% at fault as it would imply that he attempted to overtake illegally.

jesus i'd be ripshit. it's not your fault. the faster car driving forward is at fault
you didnt back up into them. they hit you

fucking this.

>glad I spent a small amount of money to buy a dashcam and protect myself from shit like this.

this is a MUST have... russia vids should tell you that alone.

>I would think it would be more profitable to them to NOT accept responsibility for the accident.
NO, it is more profitable to put the blame on you. Fighting the other company creates a court case and that costs money. By blaming you, they will raise your rates and get the money back from the permanently higher rates and even make profit if you have no more accidents since your rates will always be higher from now on.

Insurance isn't your typical consumer focused business.
They're incredibly rational yet ruthless actors. Behind every decision is an insurance worker who has calculated the cheaper option to proceed. In this 'he said/she said' scenario with minimal evidence, someone's decided it would be more expensive to pursue the other person's insurance company than to simply have you pay your deductible and increased premium, and then pay the difference to the person you hit.
Especially since you're not covered yourself.

>based on my statement
Who did you give a statement to, and why?

>my left front bumper
That's your right fender though.

The area above his right side front tire impacted my left side front bumper.

nigga that's their right fender of their toyota
u doin alright champ?

If this is how insurance companies operate, then wouldn't HIS insurance company fo the exact same thing and assume he is at fault. One of the things that really surprised me is my insurance company saying its my fault before even waiting to hear what his insurance company thinks. I asked the representative today "So are you just going to call his insurance company and tell them YOU accept all liability?" And she says "Well we aren't going to get into a showdown with the other insurance company."

Now I am wondering why the fuck I even called my insurance company to begin with. I should have only called his.

I gave a statement to my insurance company and to his because I was following the procedures as explained by my insurance company.

Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention pic related is the idiot's smashed up Corolla.

Not necessarily.
We can only speculate but there's a plethora of factors that could've brought them to this decision.
>Maybe she's comprehensively insured, meaning the total repair bill would be higher if they accepted liability.
>Perhaps they assessed the damage to his car and photos/evidence provided to them and decided they were more likely to win in a court case.
>Perhaps they approached your insurance company first, meaning your insurance company had to weigh up whether to fight in court, or just admit liability. Conversely, from their perspective them acting first means they weight up accepting liability and paying, vs attempting to get out of it and seeing what yours says.
>Finally depending on your jurisdiction, it's possible that without evidence to the contrary, the situation that presented itself based on the damage to the cars and nothing else paints a picture where you are in the wrong.

Despite what they'd have you believe when you sign up with them, insurance companies are not your personal advocates. You are essentially making a bet with them, and if they lose, they will do whatever they can to minimise the damage.
If you want a personal advocate, pay for a lawyer.

look at how new that paint is. he'd lose too much resell value if he didn't go through insurance to milk it

Nigga that's a brand new car, even if it is a corolla.

Never had an accident. Installed a dash cam in my truck with front and rear facing camera. One week later... It paid for itself when someone pulled in front of me and slammed on their brakes to try and avoid missing their exit.

Funny thing is... Dash cam is psychic... Started flashing like a disco just prior.

>call the police

This never works. Fucking lazy ass cops always say "we won't come unless someone is dead or dying", at least in my state.

Rexing V1P

First all. U r a dumb ass for callng ur insurance company over that.
That's a 100$ repair from a shop to pop it out.

Second of all, insurance companies go by rules of the road. If your state's rules say that U need to look around while parallel parking, if someone goes into you, it's YOUR fault. Just like if you hit a guy from behind, it's your fault.

So find out what the rules are and work with that.

Tldr, look at the pic u fag

They always come, it just takes forever since it's so low priority.

Let me tell you about loyalty. My family used State Farm exclusively for over 40 years. I got into one at fault collision (on a vic that only had liability), and a single door ding and they dropped me (I personally had 6 years of membership) even though we had accident forgiveness. Those two incidents were a year apart, and are the only things againts me. Fuck them though. They're missing out on two motorcycles and full coverage on a Tacoma, and QX70 (not like they'd notice in reality).

Insurance companies care about you as much as politicians. Which is to say you're just a tool for them to use and throw away when they're done.

Wait, it's not the police but the insurance companies that determine who was wrong in an accident in America? Hahahah, that's an ancap's wet dream come true.

>That's a 100$ repair from a shop to pop it out.
lol

It is the police, unless you forgo calling them.

Which is why you should always call them. Prefrebly before you even talk to the other driver so they don't bolt.

>in america you have to file a claim with the third party's insurance company
lmao what a cucked country

It sounds completely your fault
>Stop in the road
>Don't look, otherwise you would have seen the car
>Swing front end out into the other lane

GET A FUCKING POLICE REPORT EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU GET INTO AN ACCIDENT

I did look and there were no cars coming. I think this fool was speeding. I found his facebook and you know how facebook allows norms to put those stupid border/overlays on top of their profile pic? This guy has this stupid fucking border for the new Fast and The Furious movie on a pic of him sitting in his car. Also the insurance policy is under his girlfriend's name. If that makes any difference.

Never accept liability. Your company is trying to pin it on you because it's less work for them then go after the guy's gf company for a claim.