H-how hard can owning a RX8 be anyway?

H-how hard can owning a RX8 be anyway?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_RX-8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's not, buy the best one you can. Not the cheapest

Actually fix it when it breaks, the correct way.

Actually Change the oil,

Or be a fucking idiot and complain when your 5th owner 200k sports car you bought of Craigslist breaks.

if you know anything about the engine it isn't hard at all, gas and oil gets expensive though

if you use exclusively it as a grocery getter or daily it will die

pic related, my 8 still running strong on its original engine with no rebuild at 120k

Nice.

Why will it die on the daily?

It probably pulls a porsche and shits itself if you rev below 3k for over 5 minutes

Below? Wat?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_RX-8
>the Spirit R could accelerate from 0 to 100 mph (160 km/h) in 5.7 seconds

That sounds a bit optimistic.

if you don't regularly drive it hard and redline it you will get carbon buildup which destroys the engine

i guess if you hoon on public streets a lot its fine but otherwise it will ruin your engine

If it's used expect an engine rebuild at some point.

If you don't want to do another engine rebuild the next step is water injection, changing the OMP to feed it two stroke oil instead of engine oil, and an aftermarket ECU to control it all. Premix when you remember to as well, the OMP isn't perfect so premix will help to make sure you lubricate everything.

The rotary's fatal flaw is that lubrication is difficult to do and it is super, super sensitive to detonation so the engine runs rich and engine oil is burned to keep things running. Water injection and two stroke OMP resolves both of these issues and will make it run well long-term. You have to figure out where on the stock map it starts running past 14.7:1 and start adding water and pulling fuel on that part of the map for water injection.

A fucking walk in the park compared to my 93 fd3s..

quick rundown

Wankels work best at high revs
You have to hit redline every once in a while or it gets depressed and an heroes
I recommend getting used to shifting at 8k

What if its auto? Then what.

well its not just revs you need you need load as well.

So pin it everywhere.

after its warm of course

I own a rotary and this is just an excuse so we can drive like hoons all the time and not feel guilty

Some disinfo here, the 06+ a/t have 6 port renesis engines

The engine is really easy to fix on your own.

I've been dailying my Porsche for 5 years, engine still runs

Owning a RX8 is like, having a dog with a chronical heart disease.
You love it, but you know it will die soon, so you try to share as much time as possible with it.

>H-how

S-STOP
T-THIS
S-SHIT

N-no, thanks

blow your brains out for buying an automatic rx8

I just edited it to 0-60. Who the fuck wrote 0-100 MPH?

let it warm up before driving every time. EVERY TIME. rev it past 4k when you park it and turn it off. check the oil every time you gas it up and add some as needed and change the oil frequently. premixing is highly recommened. hoon the shit out of it and it will thank you. dat burnt carbon smell after revving

revving it before you park is pointless

call any mazda dealer or rotary shop and ask them if you should do this. i've been asked after having mundane recall stuff done at a mazda dealer if i knew how to turn off a rotary. also idc because it's my car and i do what i want

Incredibly easy. Oil changes take 5 minutes and its pretty much the only maintenance you need to do, apart from spark plugs which takes like 5 minutes also.

>premix your own 2 stroke gas
What a fucking hassle

Just get another car OP

>immediately drop $550 on an ignition overhaul
>rx8 isn't garbage

riiiiiiiiiight

Easy once you fix it.

Just put an ls into a blown one and weld the bonnet shut so nobody can see

mazda dealers are all dumb as fuck

Reving it to 4k before you cut the engine only does something while cold; the purpose of reving it is to get any excess gas out of the chamber to prevent a flood.

The ECU only dumps excessive amounts of gas into the chamber when the engine is cold. If your engine is warm, there is no excess fuel being dumped in.

t. 120k miles on my 8 with no rebuild on the original engine

go read new and potential owners sticky on rx8club

>Can't stay near redline or it blow up

What's the point then

it says don't hold it at redline

you rev it to redline to get the carbon out and then shift or let it fall on its own

if you hold it at redline the clutch explodes under extreme centrifugal force

you can do it for $50

why would anyone want an rx-8, it's ugly as fuck and doritos are a meme

Harder than the dicks you'll be taking. These shitboxes require constant babying to keep them running. And they get horrible gas mileage.

And they sound like garbage.

>dumb people will read this and think "oh man, saved for good advice"
>smart people will read this and say "holy shit, what a bunch of nonsense for an underperforming pile of garbage"

S-sure think k-kid

It's kinda hard when a guy in the Honda Odyssey walks away from you at a stoplight.

I think LS is overdone meme, but it's the real way to fix a rx8

>You have to hit redline every once in a while or it gets depressed and an heroes
that's the best description of carbon buildup I've ever heard

>being a LSbabby
>ever
>not doubling-down and dropping a 20B in there

200k? Must be on it's 3rd rebuild.

Exactly. This engine is for the autistic guy that NEEDS to stay busy or he'll kill himself. Reliability and ease are two important features of any engine, and rotordoritos arent either one of those things. Any engine that is lucky to make it passed 100k miles is one that should be thrown in the scrap heap.

Would you rather a Cummins?

>be Veeky Forums
>constantly shit on RX8 and spout memes about apex seals
>keep making threads asking about them and whether they should get one

Why is this board so tsundere for this car?

Pic related, my DD

>Veeky Forums is one person
mm yes funny how they constantly contradict themselves isnt it?

>implying "board culture" doesn't exist

Such a horrible car

>Check local classifieds for cars I don't have money to buy
>RX7 for sale, 20 minutes away
>Stick shift, black, 90k miles, only $9,000
>"Cylinders: 8"
Just buy a fucking Corvette you raging faggot.

Is owning a rotary like having a retarded/autistic child?

Kek

owning a rotary is like having a normal child, someone who wants you to play with him/her and take care of.

most people that do v8 conversions end up selling them
it's dumb

Thats jag.

Anyone have rotaries in yuroland? I really want an fc or fb but have no clue if I will be able to find parts for the inevitable rebuild/wrenching, ordering from the us or japland is completely out of the question, the import tax from the us sometimes reaches the value of the item, I learned my lesson from when I got my headphone amp.

>owning a rotary is like having a normal child
can i have a rotary gf instead?

Bit of overkill desu I've never heard of rotaries blowing IP from holding revs. Probably a meme unless its specific to renisis engines.

Jiat redlne it one every time you drive it and they're fine for daily use.
Check your oil at every fill up
Let it get to op. Temp before you drive it.
Give it lots of hugs and kisses
It will love you forever

T gslse owner

>donuts

This makes me want to build an MR transverse mounted rotary car.

the renesis itself is capable of way higher rpms than its redline but the clutch is the limiting factor as it breaks up under extreme centrifugal force at 10k+

How about a 4WD with one rotor driving each wheel separately?

>"""""""donuts"""""""

Yeah np I'll just re-engineer the car great idea totally worth my time

dubs were a mistake

checked

noice

We have our limiter set at 9500 to 10k depending on what course we are driving.

re-engineer the car? dude you just pour 2 cycle oil down the gas tnak

What should I get if I want to fulfill my rotary dreams but don't want to pay the absurd rice tax for a FD? RX8 or FC?
I'm leaning towards RX8 kinda for the modern amenities.

How hard is it to rebuild a rotary, and how much do only the parts cost if I were to do it myself? I've rebuilt 2 stroke dirt bikes before, so I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to engines, although I'm aware this will be harder