TWO Transmissions???

When someone overtakes you so you launch a missile at them.

But really I find the idea of having both auto and manual transmission really retarded. Would Veeky Forums ever drive something like this?

I would...
put it in auto when stuck in traffic, use manual when i want to drive like a man.

Yes if drive one.

Semi automatic transmissions aren't real manuals.

How does it even work?

Probably the same as paddle shifters.

Wouldn't have a clue. It must have two gearboxes and some means of switching between them. It'd have to have a clutch too. I've always wondered what would happen if you gave an automatic car a clutch and dipped it in drive.

People seem to be forgetting that Toyota made an automated manual transmission YEARS ago in the MR2 Spyder. As in, a single-clutch manual box that does all the clutchwork for you. There was no "full auto" mode, you had to change every gear yourself by clicking up or down, but there was no clutch pedal.

.Its not fucking both you idiot. It's an auto with a retarded """""""manual"""""" mode

I'll drive transmission type no problem. Probably wouldn't buy it though

That's called "a geartronic with a weird stick layout."
Mid-2000s volvos often have them with a less weird stick layout. Push the auto shifter to the left and then bump up and down to change gears.

Nothing like the real thing.

Renault Twongis had that in the 90s

does it have to go sequentially like regular paddle shifters? Seems like you could shift it from 6th into 1st

Why would you not want to do that?

transmission is under warranty and you want to catapult your car via the drive shaft at very high speeds?

Isn't that what people buy cars for?

I'd bet money it's just PRND+- in the different positions.

>attempt to downshift 6th to 1st travelling at 100 MPH
>suddenly, the car starts to make noise
>not mechanical noise, almost like an alarm coming from the speakers
>it's not as abrasive as an alarm, the sound is almost soothing
>you thought you did it, you madman
>you successfully shifted from 6th to 1st, ready for your warranty lawsuit
>but before you could think about how much money you'd get, you're met with the alarm again
>SHIFT DENIED
>the gear stick pops out of the gate
>drive mode is switched to automatic mode
>the only way to shift back into manual mode is by coming to a complete stop

Automated clutching and shifting, with switch to disable to manual by wire shifter and clutch

Two transmissions toyota?!

Gee bill

No you fucking moron. It's an auto gussied up to look pretty. No different from the old 86 auto trans.

It's literally a slushbox that allows you to suggest gears. It's not in any way, shape, or form a manual transmission.

I think it would be possible to build a car thats both manual and automatic at the same time. It could be clutch by wire or have a clutch servo that can operate it when in automatic mode since modern computers could drive it without stalling. The grearshifter would be operated by electric motors. Is there any problems with this aside from increased costs?

you'd have to have two transmissions somehow. The trick is figuring out how to swap between the two while in motion, or at all.

You can't have clutch by wire. Have you even driven a manual? You need the feedback from the pedal with ZERO delay.

this is the only correct answer.

Why only redneck-level dumbasses and busriders post on Veeky Forums? Driving a manual isn't anything to brag about, women in shithole 3rd world countries only drive those.
Seriously, I like classic cars and I daily a manual. Yet, I don't give two shits about what anyone else's driving, I drive for my own enjoyment.
I'd buy an automatic, and sincerely, this car actually looks like a solid choice for the future of manual transmissions and fun driving.
Look up the Ferrari electric conversion a guy did, ahit's where it's at.

>what is SMG transmission

>what's VW beetle autostick
You people are pretty dumb, even for car "enthusiasts"

>he thinks electrically actuators induce noticeable lag

LOL

A ton of cars have had this, it isn't that new. Unusual yes, but not new.

Don't modern Lamborghinis do the same? They don't shift for you unless in comfort mode or something.

that sounds fucking awesome

I've always liked the idea of putting a bike engine in a car or cart chassis, but launching one is difficult. I've always had the idea of a torque converter and an electronic clutch somewhere in between the bike output sprocket and the wheels. This way you can just stick it in first, let the clutch out, and give it gas. Once you set off, just release the electric clutch after it's moving.
You can even do very useful stuff like have it steal at 5k to do launches In the power band.

Im sure with this combination, you can scale it up to work with normal cars. I can't see a downside except for weight really

this is a 8speed manual trans with torque converter

>not bolting to toyota W56 trans together plus a transfer case to have a total of (5 * 5 + 1) * 2 = 52 gears

h

sequential transmissions in cars?