Veeky Forums, what is your opinion on the 1998 Ford Taurus?

Veeky Forums, what is your opinion on the 1998 Ford Taurus?

First time car buyer and this seemed a viable option

It's cheap, ugly, but it goes vroom and parts for it are cheap and plentiful. It's fine for a first car.

Ferd Toar-ass ready for shuttle departure

Transmission will need to be rebuilt at some point.

Fix
Ot
Rgain
Dtony

Buy a 90s Jap. Unironically a 3k Civic

It is a car

I had a 1999 se with the duratec motor, grampa got it new. Ours was brutally reliable in 170k we only did ball joints, a coolant pipe, fuel pump, master cylinder and front struts aside the usual maintenance. Just drop the pan every 30k or so and the tranny will be fine.

Get that small v8 SHO. Thing always intrigued me, but it’s reputation scared me.

Like other anons said, it is just transportation. If you're mechanically inclined, you can get the SHO version, weld the camshaft sprocket and learn how to swap a transmission for dat sweet sweet smol v8 sound
t. '99 SHO shillposter

>170k
>brutally reliable
Is this what it's like to be a virgin Ford owner and not a chad GM owner?

t. Ford and Chevy owner

It's a fine vehicle as long as you keep the rust away and the trans fluid changed. The Vulcans go forever and the Duratecs are almost quick. People make fun of it for the oval everywhere styling, but the only thing I really don't like is the front end.

t. 96 Taurus LX owner

>It's a fine vehicle as long as you keep the rust away and the trans fluid changed. The Vulcans go forever and the Duratecs are almost quick.

Dead nuts review. And fuck the 3rd gen SHO's, there's a reason they have literally no value.

It's my secret love. There's something interesting about it.

got this as my first car too, had fucking insane transmission issues like you would not believe. In the hot summer days it would dump out transmission fluid for no reason and seemingly stop whenever it wanted. All kinds of bad. donut buy, get a camry or something

>GM
>reliable

I don't know why but it looks so good to me

Get a late 90s Accord/Camry instead, they are better in literally every aspect

its literally the best car ever

Now, there's an American car that is exactly what we've been looking for.

If it has a Vulcan engine, I'd ask myself if the near indestructible and god-like reliability was worth the 12 mpg and 120 hp on such a heavy car. I know a guy that has one that has 450,000 miles on it and never replaced the engine. Seriously might be the most reliable engine ever created, just very heavy. Things made out of cast iron skillets or something. Back fender is going to rust to death, back suspension sucks, rarely see one thats not sagging to the ground. New they looked much higher, think subaru outback sedan (pic related)

>Things made out of cast iron skillets or something.

Vulcan was the god of metalworking. It's an all iron engine..

>Back fender is going to rust to death,
Yup.
>back suspension sucks
It had some of the softest spring rates when new, plus it had a tendency to crack and break springs, plus when the rust takes hold, the rear strut towers collapse. If the transmission doesn't send 'em to the yard, strut tower rust will.

>12 mpg
Maybe in a Ranger. All the Tauruses I've had knowledge of got over 20 easy. Last fillup on my Duratec was 26.

do yourself a favor and dont buy a SHO

Ungodly reliable. Have had one in the family for 19 years now. Only thing that needed to be replaced was the transmission at around 100k miles. Hitting 230k now and transmission ia getting tired again. Everything else is fine.

I have a 97 taurus wagon I bought for 500 smackaroos last year

it is totally ok but makes you look poor