For a first car what do you recommend in the UK ? (second hand)

For a first car what do you recommend in the UK ? (second hand)

Also what mileage should i be looking at? My budget is £700 max.

In a non meme way golf.

Micra, Corsa, Polo, Ibiza, 106, Saxo or just about anything you can find really.
700 quid isn't gonna get you much, especially when you're a new driver and insurance is gonna fucking kill your wallet anyway.

Ah ok my mum said the same thing. Interesting thank you.

So golf is better than say corsa or fiesta (old models).

Yeah this is what pisses me off. paying 2.5k insurance for first year for a £500-700 car.

Golfs are one segment up from things like Corsas and Fiestas, and they usually feel put together quite a bit better.
Chav magnets though, which means insurance companies usually charge more for them than the smaller shitboxes.

I hate ford cars. They eat fuel too much. Corsa is okey.

Yeah thanks for the info. Totally right i'd imagine about the chavs. Shame really, nissan micra give cheap insurance but they fukin embarrassing. Ok if u a female.

Interesting, cheers.

You seem poor so here goes:
Get an opel corsa/peugeot 106/citroen saxo with less than 200k on it, cheaper to insure than anything VAG because chavs love them polos and golfs

I have a seat ibiza and i get raped because young retards love it

Micra K11 with the 1.3 engine, pretty reliable cars with great fuel economy.
If you want something even more fuel efficient get a diesel VW Lupo or Seat Arosa.

You already posted it. You'll be knee deep in clunge m8

Try and get a Corsa, I'm on my first car and it's done fine so far (60 plate 1.3 CDTi 93bhp). Granted, it cost £1700 but that's with low miles (I bought it on 69k miles). It's a bit of a killer on insurance, costing me 2800 with a black box but I think that's because I got it insured the day I passed my test, because I could insure a better car for cheaper.

My advice would be to find one of those, maybe with higher mileage to get it cheaper or slightly older like an 07-08 or something. It's great on fuel, £40 will last me approx 2.5 weeks driving 20 miles a day for work and it's sort of on the border of shitbox/decent car, i.e. nothing to be ashamed of yet you won't really care about it, good little confidence builder.

Forgot to mention, it is quite rattly and loud but only from the outside.

Hyundai Getz 1.1
>insurance 3
>dirt cheap
>bomb proof engines

Waiting till you're 25.
It's not like you were going to get laid anyway.

the trick is to be the second driver and have the insurance have your parents name as the main driver

Golf or Polo. Golf will be more fun though. Idk what condition you get for 700 Eurobucks as I am burger. Here that will get you a non running shell.

A motorcycle.

Be prepared for no no claims discount in the future plus your parents to be extremely pissed if you have an accident. Advise against this route, short term pain for long term gain.

Depends what you want really. At a £700 budget you're really looking at stuff around 12-10 years old though.

Saxo/106: The best choice for handling and the diesel is very economical, but they're a bit cramped inside. Also, don't have a crash in one.
Micra K11: Probably not quite as fun to drive as the Saxo/106, but super reliable and cheap to run. The 1.3 version also has a healthy aftermarket due to popularity as a beginner rally car.
Corsa: Jack of all trades, master of none. But, being a Vauxhall, spares are plentiful.
Polo/Ibiza/Fabia: I own a 6N2 Polo - solid interior (typical VAG), reasonably spacious, but not that fun to drive and underpowered. The 1.4 TDI does incredible MPG, but older models like to rust.
Fiesta: Handles well and like the Corsa, easy to get parts for, but they also like to rust.

I'd say most Korean stuff in your budget is harder to get parts for, but this shouldn't be an issue as Hyundai Getz and the like tend to run forever while being cheap as fuck to buy.

Happy shitboxing!

>12-10
12-20*

Clio: Build quality is iffy, but fun to drive and safe for what it is. Diesels are v. economical.
Punto: Stylish inside and out, but questions have to be raised about their longevity, and not as fun as older Fiats.
206: Decent to drive, but poor build quality and poorer driving position. Us Brits loved them, though, so parts will be easily sourced.

If all else fails, set up a GoFundMe to import a Mk1 Twingo and Veeky Forums will sort you out.

Haven't they cracked down on that a lot? Not sure it's worth the risk these days but then again, fuck paying 2-4k for insurance as a new driver.

one of those two-wheeled cars

Get a Metro

These high rates make no sense anyway. I did a medium education and I know literally no one of my age that crashed their car whatsoever. Meanwhile the people that are giving us a bad name are the typical chavs and foreigners who smoke on elementary school property and what not. All they really drive is black Golfs with massive alloys and 5% tint on the rear windows (because front windows aren't allowed) and they all look ridiculous without exceptions. These people just need euthanizing and honest people need lower rates.

Another vote for the k11, girlfriend had one after a Corsa and it's more fun and better on fuel.

Brits are the most cucked nation on earth.

>If all else fails, set up a GoFundMe to import a Mk1 Twingo and Veeky Forums will sort you out.
If you're lucky you can just snap up one that's already been imported by a UK-bound shitbox enthusiast.
Have fun dealing with LHD though.

Beetle, or mini.
Cheap to buy, classic insurance, cheap and easy to fix, so you can learn.

Literally no reason to buy anything else.

k11 Micra, for 700 you might get a k12 but everyone i have had has died within months

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but make sure you check out the engine manufacturing year, don't end up with one that'll cost a shit ton of road tax because of co2 emissions.

Suzuki swift any of the non sport models.

for £700 id say a micra or an old fiesta. if you have no shame then try a KA

I'm in the UK, and in the same situation as OP, except my budget is £2000, any suggestions?

MICRA
Is
Correct
R
Answer

Insurance is gonna be a bigger factor than initial purchase price, so just check the rates for things like Clios, Golfs, and other shitboxes first, then try to find the nicest one of those within your budget.

>Micra
>Ka

RUST RUST RUST RUST
RUST RUST RUST RUST
RUST RUST RUST RUST
RUST RUST RUST RUST

Thanks, I don't know a lot about cars and I've only started regularly visiting Veeky Forums recently. I've also set aside another 2 grand for insurance, so I was hoping it getting something a bit nicer. Although I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

Mine has zero structural rust, absolutely none when you get under the car.
But the paint is shit and the car has a lot of dents on it making it look much worse than it actually is.

>Go on craigslist (whatever the UK alternative is)
>Filter 1000 euro max
>Beggars can't be choosers
>You will find the ugliest piece of shit that runs like a champion will get you to A, B, C, D, the whole fucking alphabet

Yeah, but what about reliability & other issues? I'm pretty sure that I can buy a fucking Jaguar or Alfa for EUR1k. Will it get me far?

Exactly, so by something cheap, and simple, that you can unsure cheap because you can get classic insurance, like an old mini.

heck I'd even consider a Citroen ZX, it's bigger than a Saxo but probably cheaper (they are in Belgium at least).

indestructible 1.9 diesel engine too

Peugeot 106/205, 1.2/1.4 doesn't matter, they weigh nothing and feel a lot faster than they are

You just have to get quotes for different cars, try things that aren't cool, it might be cheaper. My first car was a Suzuki Swift, from back before they were good. Try a Kia Rio, no chav would be seen dead in one so it's probably cheap.

A ZX (or Peugeot 306) is a god tier first car if you can find a good one. 1.9 non turbo diesel is slow but cheap to buy, run and insure, and the turbo can shift a bit. Both versions are /comfy/ and great to drive.