How does one buy cars from private sellers...

How does one buy cars from private sellers? I'd to buy from a dealer because I'm told you can use credit cards and they carry out all the paperwork. But they seem to charge a lot more. I saw similar cars for thousands less on craigslist than ones I saw on carmax.

I suppose private sellers wouldn't trust a check? I thought about cash but getting that much cash seems like real bother (withdrawal limits and such). What paperwork would need to be completed?

please go away with this low quality bait

I brought cash, filled out the bill of sale and transferred the ownership

Took like 5 minutes.

This isn't bait. This will be my first time buying a car.

How did you get the cash? I have an online credit union without any local branches, just ATMs. The withdrawal limit is just a few hundred dollars and most ATMs I've seen have the max bill size a 20, so it will be hassle.

Oh. I went to my local branch and just took out $2,000 in 100's and 50's.

Idk how you'd go about it with only ATMs.

>I saw similar cars for thousands less on craigslist than ones I saw on carmax
Private sellers will be cheaper than dealers because they don't have overhead costs, and they aren't concerned about making a profit.
Carmax prices are usually much more expensive than other dealers, because they do the "no haggling" thing.

>I thought about cash but getting that much cash seems like real bother
Don't fucking show up to a private seller with a bag full of cash. That's a great way to get robbed, or even arrested in some states.
Just write them a goddamn check and offer to go to the bank with them to get it deposited or cashed, whatever they want to do with it.

Doesn't it take several days for checks to clear and deposit in their accounts? Would they trust that?

For big transactions "cash" doesn't mean literally money in paper bills, it's mostly used to day you have the whole sum with you and you're not using financing and such.

I bought all cars with cash....
When you buy cars never go alone though and make sure you brought a weapon. I bought one car off a dealer and I felt scammed still do tbqh.

>Doesn't it take several days for checks to clear and deposit in their accounts?
Nigga it's 2017. Check deposits are instantaneous.

It's always taken about three days whenever I've deposited one someone else gave me or someone else has deposited one I've given them. Is it because we used our credit unions' phone app to take a picture for the deposit?

Talk to the seller, ask if he'll take a cashier's check. Those are only good for the person on them, and they can be deposited in full that one day. Just make sure to not have the full balance on it, so you leave yourself some haggle room to make up with loose cash.

i just pay with online banking in front of them and invite them to check their balance to confirm it's gone through. only works if you both have online accounts but i dont often buy from mountain people so it hasnt been a problem so far

>I'm told you can use credit cards

You can but their hesitant to do that.

>I saw similar cars for thousands less on craigslist than ones I saw on carmax.

No shit? You think that "no haggle price" is there for your advantage?

They're instantaneous as in they'll show up in your account but may still take a few days to verify.

After doing an hour of research I had decided on a course of action. I would request to meet with the seller at a post office where I would buy a bunch of money orders ($1000 is the limit for each) while the seller saw to see that they're genuine and then sign and give them over to him while he signs the title over to me.

Until I found out my credit union (Alliant) has a $2000 a day limit on purchases with debit cards and you can't even call them to raise it for only a day.

Why do cunts make it so hard to buy cars without relying on dealerships?

I've transferred money (at least a thousand dollars) between online bank accounts before and it's always taken a few days to go through for me.

But I have to either have an account with the bank I buy the cashier's check from or buy it in cash which means the same problem.

Just look at the car and if you want it go get the cash and come back. Trust your gut if its too good to be true or they seem sketchy don't come back. No one wants to deal with your money order bullshit.

I can't get a substantial amount of cash out, did you not read the thread?

Go to any bank and get a cash advance. They can pull it out of your credit union account with a debit card.

Cashier's check
/thread