How many times did you change your major? How long did it take you to realize what it was you actually wanted to do...

How many times did you change your major? How long did it take you to realize what it was you actually wanted to do? What did you decide on in the end?

Never changed mine, although I wished I would have explored other programs. I went to a CC first and then transferred over, but the state school i transferred to makes you pick your program and locks you in to it if you're a transfer, otherwise you'd have to reapply with a different program. If you aren't sure about what you want to do, then I would advise that you take courses from different subjects that interest you at a community college. Community colleges are great resources at a reduced rate.

changed twice

bio -> mech e -> comp sci

now I have a degree in mech e, and in summer I'll be Chris Hansen, Bsc. Bsc.

Very interesting. You might be able to help me out then.
I'm a semester into my first year, so it's not like it matters, I'm just taking generals right now.
But I used to think I wanted to do biomedical engineering, then found out it's better to do mechanical engineering and focus on biology. But then I realized that what I really want to do(which is genetic and tissue engineering kind of stuff) is more of straight biology.

So should I just get a biology degree and go from there?

biomedical engineering is more closely related to what you want to do than biology

depending on the size of your program it will be possible to take electives within your major that align directly to your interests

there's also nothing stopping you from taking biology courses if you believe they'll be useful to you in the future

I stuck in Finance and regret it every.

Now I'm an analyst at a bank making shitty 70k, hate my job. And literally can't get any other job besides "financial analyst"

biomed is not really a good degree (times are changing, uni's shitting out grads).

mech engineering is much better but much harder as well. if you live in the US i guess you can find work in both regardless of market demand

Started in Civil Engineering, then switched to Econ after freshman year because I found the coursework fascinating.

Looking back, I should have majored in something medical-related and/or philanthropic like Nursing that pays decent but still "makes a difference."

I like my current job, but I prefer to just work a standard 40 hour week and don't have the ambition to do something like finance or start my own company.

Only once. Changed major from Chemistry to English. No regrets. I have a job in my field, get to write for a living and enjoy my work.

Do not take exclusively bioengineering classes and expect to know biology.

The bioengineering classes are there only to teach you engineering principles and math (with a few hints of biology). This is true even for the less math-based courses which are more like crash course biology designed to teach you enough to pretend to know about biology to get past some interviewers. You will need to seek out actual biology classes from the biology department to learn how the shit you're calculating actually works.

Start learning some SQL/SSRS or something similar and you could transfer to BI Analyst easily.

what do you do?

What would you have studied instead?

english > music performance > biology > finance

took me forever to get through college because i had no real motivation. ended up finishing a finance degree mostly because it was easy and i figured i could get a decent job with that degree. i do consulting work now (mostly tax related) and it is okay work. making low six figures and i'm in my early 30s. if i could do it all over again, i might choose something a little more personally rewarding.

Pharmacy - history - statistics - health behavior

Dont ask why..im in medical school now so it all worked out, Your undergrad doesnt mean jack. Just make sure you get into something that will make going to work exciting or at least not dull

Kinesiology - Marketing - Political Science.
I fucking love politics, and I'm doing stocks as a sort of hobby. I recommend finding weird classes that fill your gen ed requirements.

I started at community college. Declared as nursing because 2 years to complete and good money for the little time of schooling needed. Spent 2 semesters taking general ed and nursing related courses. Couldn't stand it. I thought it would be full of cute girls in nursing but it was mostly fat feminist slobs. So I changed my declared major to General Education/University Transfer. Finished classes and transferred to Uni. Spent a semester taking computer science courses before switching to Accounting. Got my degree and CPA. Didn't get many job offers because I live in the middle of nowhere and wasn't really able to relocate because no money. Got a job at a bank making $35K a year as a personal banker working 3 days a week. Did that for almost 2 years while taking more classes to get my CFA before getting a job at a different bank as a financial adviser. I don't really do any financial market research or analysis of my own. The bank has different funds for different risk profiles, and I just meet with people and determine which investment option is best for them. Making $65K a year working 5 days a week and sometimes Saturdays for board meetings and other stupid office politics shit. .

Kind of wish I went into IT because I prefer working alone and not having to constantly talk to people all day. There will be days where I have no appointments and I'm just catching up on paperwork and other things, and I wish every day was like those.

I work as a writer for a company.

Twice

Secondary Education (English)
Creative Writing
Justice Studies.

Secondary Education had bad teachers at my school.

Creative Writing didn't have careers (I pursued it and still pursue it as a person hobby).

Justice Studies interested me and had jobs.

You do not know how fucking lucky you are that you didn't pick pharmacy.
I'm stuck in this meme major in my second to last year of grad school.
I have no debt but I can't get over the years I put into this shitty field.
Hypothetically I would have done this
Pharmacy - finance/compsci back when my mind wasn't fucked with stupid bullshit.

What is your current job?

damn all that hard work and studying (cpa, cfa) for 65k a year ...

It's all about cost of living. $65K here is $180K in NYC according to online calculator

What is so bad about financial analyst? Is it all analyzing stock markets?

Went from Physics->Comp sco->Chicano studies

Realized I wasn't gifted with high IQ.

I don't even know anymore, I went from law to comp sci to nothing, I gave up and I can accept it or myself

Changed it once bc I didn't want to design a circuit board for a living

>Realized I wasn't gifted with high IQ

This. I wanted to get into software engineering, but then I realized I wasn't as smart as I thought I was, once the classes got serious.

changed from EE to what?

I dropped out of college and decided to actually challenge myself in the real world. Studied on my own while working a shitty minimum wage job and now I have a career in engineering. Honestly fuck college.

geology. almost switched like 4 times but have stuck with it and am pretty happy in my last semester. not sure what to do career wise atm.

Should I get a masters in accounting?

Do you like counting someone elses money?

>tfw switched my major five times so far
>latest one is Technical Communication

Am I making another mistake, Veeky Forums? I'm not smart enough to get into STEM any other way.

depends if you live in one of those states that need 150 hours for a CPA

tfw I passed up an offer to do ecology because I thought a communications degree would pave the way for a neat marketing job.
tfw I'm working towards getting a marketing job for a ngo knowing I'll be faced with people who do what I want to do :(

Once.

Started as physics. Switched to compsci after taking an intro course and killing it. Ended up with a BA (shitfuck program didn't offer BS, wut). I make 125k / year. Last semester of my MS now (night classes).

started as chemical engineering then after realizing how depressed and hopeless I felt after every class I switched to Drafting and Design. Now I have two degrees, no job prospects, and still feel depressed and hopeless.

Computer engineering currently and made a switch once to it. Currently work 60 hours a week (studying, coding, homework, projects, etc.) I did a 40 hour work week Co-Op for about a year and I find the 60 hours I work now easier and more fulfilling.

Switched once.

Computer Networking -> Generic Business Program

I saw all of the fucking nerds and beta males surrounding me in my class and all I could think of is how i'm going to end up like these fuckers and be tech support for illiterate baby boomers when I get a job.

Glad I switched into business because I can literally apply to anything.