Any weldfags online? ive been thinking about getting into the industry, thinking about going to school for it...

any weldfags online? ive been thinking about getting into the industry, thinking about going to school for it. got a real passion for racing motorcycles and wrenching in general. thinking of doing this instead of going mechanic cause i dont want to kill the passion. thoughts from fellow mechanics/racers/welders?

Would like to become a welder as well, but it's gonna destroy my eyes, or so I've heard.

i wont let fear dictate my life

wear a welding mask

i had similar thoughts re destroying the passion, but wanting all the skills, so i went with marine engineer.

I’ve been welding all day every day for 32 years and my eyes are 20/20. It’s your lungs you gotta worry about

how do you feel about it user? do you have any passion for the automotive/racing industry? what do you do for fun?

plz explain

its like a mechanic for big boats.

are you happy?

haven't qualified yet, but yeah seems to be a good job. gets you all the skills, and you're not fucked out about working on cars/bikes because all you work on is big diesel engines, purifiers, refridge, air con, etc etc. nothing petrol related. good pay, good time off.

are you currently working on a project car/bike? why/why not?

>do you have any passion for the automotive/racing industry

Not really. I enjoy working on my own cars and such but thays about it. Mechanics make decent money but they also have to put up with dumb customers always thinking you’re trying to rip them off.

My welding is mostly just hose reels for trucks. Very repetitive and got bored of it a very long time ago but still enjoy doing small projects at home. About to start working on making shit out of horse shoes. A friend made a table I really liked so figured I’d give it a try. Have to make myself a new welding table first tho as mine isn’t really flat anymore

what do you do for a living exactly?

suck dicks :)

Weld hose reels together. Same old welds all day every day. Factory also makes the tanks for water and sewage trucks but I’m not really involved in that unless we’re behind. I’m the only guy doing the hose reels so I pretty much have my own quiet area to work in peace

Argh, i'm not retarded. Still, I already have weak eyesight and would not like it to deteriorate further.

>but they also have to put up with dumb customers always thinking you’re trying to rip them off.

......You're not?????

how much do you make and is it worth it?

I’ve seen people absolutely lose their shit just because a mechanic told them they need new brakes when the pads are wore right down to metal. It’s always the same fucking thing “bull shit I just had them done, you’re trying to rip me off”. Most people are completely retarded when it comes to maintaining their cars.

$32.25 per hour with full benefits. New guys start at $20 and get a 50 cent raise every year. I enjoy being able to mostly work on my own without anyone bugging me so it’s ideal for me. You could go do pipes and make far more but the conditions are pretty shitty and you’re always on the move. Pretty good if you’re young but I’d rather be close to home and see my family every night

I work in a related industry and deal with welding daily. It not a great job. It's HOT. It's dirty. You're on your feet all day. You will work with nothing but mexicans are retards. Everyone will lie about how much money they make (you're going to make noticeably less than what people tell you, just like the truckerfags inflating their pay because ego). Your back will hurt all the time. You will hate it after a year or two. The ONLY way you will like welding is to work for a small fab shop or speed shop. Other than that it's shit oil field/shipping work.

OR you learn to weld, and get a flat bed Ram, and do repairs for people on call. Theres good money in that and you are the boss. The hard part is getting those first few clients. But with that you have to put in a few years to get experience on various things so you don't look like an asshole when you show up.

Old welders make good martinis and are bad painters.

well i currently am a cook, so everything you mentioned already describes my job.