Why the fuck do Americans have toll roads? Shouldn't your taxes cover road maintenance?

Why the fuck do Americans have toll roads? Shouldn't your taxes cover road maintenance?

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/local/study-2-trillion-needed-for-us-infrastructure/2011/05/16/AFyppB5G_story.html
wired.com/2016/07/cash-strapped-towns-un-paving-roads-cant-afford-fix/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sage

Because states like California can't even keep I5 in better condition than Mexico. So private owners make their own roads.

Seriously though wtf Cali? I5 is hands down the worst interstate I've been on, on the west coast. Literally non-stop potholes, sinkholes, ripples, and depressions from Orland to Los Angeles.

Because fuck you that's way. If you don't like it get the fuck out and never come back.

>Thinks almost all our tax money isn't wasted
>Trusts his government

Gotta use that tax money fo dem programs n shieet bruh

Weedman is blowing hundreds of millions on third worlders and I've never seen a toll road in my life.

Actually, we don't have 90% income tax and 20% VAT.

Don't worry Im in AZ now, it's quite comfy. 1000x better state. Even their shitter country roads are better than Cali's super highways. Will you cucks please seceded already and save the country from you? Waste of federal tax funds and Colorado river water.

most toll roads are actually still government roads. It's incredibly rare to have a private road let a lone a private toll road.

Then thats just shitty politics. Then again Cali thinks all vehicle's with a trailer (including motorcycles) were made before 1950 and set a state wide 55mph limit creating some of the most congested and sketchy highways in the country. So sound politics are not their strong suite.

Same reasons that any other country that has toll roads has them.

>Weedman

Canada? 407 ETR. They pitched it to Ontario drivers by saying "don't worry! it'll only have tolls until it's paid off!" then they sold it to a private company and now it's a permanent toll route.

I live in the prairies.
">don't worry! it'll only have tolls until it's paid off!" then they sold it to a private company and now it's a permanent toll route.
I never hear good things about Ontario

They toll bridges in Vancouver

I have yet to see a police officer pullover anyone doing 80 mph

California uses less federal money per person than a lot of red states though

Sorry didn't realize you were talking about the retarded 55mph limit, not the ""65"" for everyone else

>be american
>pay for roads
>still have shit-tier infrastructure

Doesn't stop retards from "doing the right thing" and going 15-25mph slower than the flow of traffic. Literally convoys a mile long, with autos two or three miles long in boot as one semi, or auto+trailer passes another at 3mph difference.

Soon as you hit AZ and the speed limit hits 75mph for everyone suddenly the trucks space out and the congestion melts away.

Some states have okay roads. Oregon's not bad. Only the city's and metro areas get super fucky, and that has a lot to do with way to many people moving in way to fast overwhelming our infrastructure.

A better question is why do you have to stop to pay the toll?
What a stupid system, here you either buy a little tag that gets scanned while you drive or is scans your plate and mails you the bill. Pic related

1.50€ to do 20km :^)

We also have such system, called Telepass however it doesn't give you any discount if not it cost more to have it than stopping at the toll

In my country all highways are toll roads and there's not a single pothole in them.

In my country no highways are toll roads and there's not a single pothole in them.

I've wondered this for ages as well, I've never seen a toll booth in Australia that you have to stop and pay at, seems really inefficient and would stack traffic up for ages. We only have those overhead camera/scanner things.

Most are where you can drive now. You either get a transponder like that or they mail you a toll because the cameras take pictures of every car. The booths are left because it's expensive to tear down but they are going away.

>drive from New Hampshire to Massachusetts
>road signs gone, no pavement markings, warzone tier roads within twenty feet of the "welcome to Massachusetts" sign

>tfw no speed limit
>tfw no toll

>>tfw no toll
yet... :(

We have that in the US too

>pay tax for roads
>pay tolls for roads
>pay tax for roads on tolls for roads
Do Americans really do this?

>It's incredibly rare to have a private road
how wrong can one man be!?
there are private roads all over burgerland

Except on the parts there is.
And the massive eternal roadworks.
The roads are also almost Belgian tier at parts.
Also the toll is coming.

Fuck you, Krauts.

Taxes do cover road maintenance. But they don't cover building new roads.

>Taxes do cover road maintenance. But they don't cover building new roads.
That's stupid.

>Taxes do cover road maintenance.

Until they get diverted to safe injection sites. Tolls are dedicated to the road.

My state doesn't have toll roads, but you can get a pass to use the carpool lane by yourself
>our two seasons are winter and road construction

Nice one Coles, except I've never had to pay to use a road in my life leaving my funds free for fun stuff like guns and other would-be Canadian contraband.

Not that I'll likely need them. We don't have a Trudeau importing the caliphate.

>Taxes do cover road maintenance.
WRONG. The half a century long American allergy of taxes has made it so that the road network maintenance has been neglected for the same amount of time, and most of the money that was available only went into building even more roads to satisfy the ever growing hunger for expansion and suburbs.

washingtonpost.com/local/study-2-trillion-needed-for-us-infrastructure/2011/05/16/AFyppB5G_story.html

Now the US are stuck with an amount of roads they can't possibly afford to maintain, and some are already being unpaved.

wired.com/2016/07/cash-strapped-towns-un-paving-roads-cant-afford-fix/

>Private owners

Have you ever wondered who these private owners are and why they have private roads which you pay for ?

Why does the fed govt under Obama supported more private roads to be maintained and built but let public roads rot away?

Who owns these private roads and why are they getting kick backs from the people via fed govt taxes and even paying to use toll roads. Ever wonder who owns this shit?

>keep living like a slave

>pay taxes
>pay tolls
>pay insurance even if you don't want it
>pay drivers license/DMV fees
>pay to get your vehicle tested for compliance to local ordinances
>fail to do any of this and get years in prison
>roads are still shit quality
Every time someone brings up America's low tax rates I want to slap them. Just because you're not paying the government directly doesn't make it any better, it just makes it less efficient.

>ever wonder who is funding these projects and expects to see a return on their investment

No, not really. If the City/State doesn't want to pay out of pocket for the roads why should I care which private citizen coughed up the money?

>even if you don't want it
You don't, but other drivers do, because YOUR insurance will pay for THEIR damages when YOU crash into them. Do you wanna get crashed into by someone uninsured, you moronic fucking scumbag?

>fail to do any of this and get years in prison
Wrong, at the worst you'll get a fine and your plates revoked.

Also insurance, exam fees or inspection fees don't pay for road maintenance, you absolute retard. They pay for what's in their name.

Its usually not a private citizen of the US, you have wealthy people outside of the US funding this shit, making money off of it and than the govt funds them additional money to rebuild and maintain those roads and not public roads. The fed govt under Obama gave money from the tax payers to citizens in another country who owned the private roads

>fuck them

>Do you wanna get crashed into by someone uninsured, you moronic fucking scumbag?
You used to be able to claim "Self Insured" if you could put like $200k in a separate account for it or something.

Not anymore they are all free.

who the fuck are you defending?

And it never fucking works, you need to slow down to a crawl to use it
Meanwhile you can gun through these on to the 407 at whatever speed you want

yeah nah I fucking hate paying insurance company for absolutely nothing every six months but it's a neccessary evil with all the 16 year old provisional license cunts smoking weed/snapchatting while driving out there

Quality of roads really depends on the state, and where you are in the state.

This

If money was no object, would it be possible to open a roll road with no speed limit in the US?

That's called a track. But you could build it like a road.

No, if it's an actual road and not a closed course it still has to follow federal or state speed limits which ever is lower.

Republican tax cuts on infrastructure.

Toll roads are ear marked for toll money, so they are generally much nicer roads.

Har har har m8. The Tappan Zee is crumbleing into the river and it's tolled.

Nah, there are parts of the US with that too. E-ZPass you have to crawl through though

Better solution: get rid of mandatory insurance, instead if there is an accident, whoever is at fault will have to pay the person who isn't at fault. If they refuse to pay, there will be liens on property and garnishing of wages.
You can get insurance to benefit yourself protecting you in the situation where you are at fault, or fault is inconclusive.

>whoever is at fault will have to pay the person who isn't at fault.
That's why you have insurance.
So the person that wasn't at fault gets it's money at least.

>Why the fuck do Americans have toll roads?
Because there is not enough money in the budget for infrastructure due to huge social welfare program costs. My city and county has that problem right now where so many homeless and illegal immigrants came in and use up the social welfare budget. The activists then filed lawsuits and the courts forced my city to divert funding to pay for social welfare rights. The money was taken away from roads and other public programs to fund the social welfare.

For the next fiscal year, our property taxes will go up to fund the social welfare increased costs, thus returning that budget money taken away from roads. But it looks like the road budget will not grow.

>A better question is why do you have to stop to pay the toll?
None of my state's toll roads or toll bridges have toll booths. What happens is that cameras, antennas, and road sensors are used to track cars. If you have a pre-purchased pass installed in your window, the scanner will detect the RFID serial number and deduct it from your autopay account. If you aren't pre-registered, you'll get the bill in mail which will be at a higher rate.

>You used to be able to claim "Self Insured"
My state still allows that as the alternative to buying an insurance policy. But it isn't worth it as you have to set up and pay for an escrow account. And the account pays out immediately on claim, and if the claim was fraudulent, it is up to YOU via civil court case to sue to get the money back from the people making the false claim. In other words, the insurance fraud is committed against you instead of against the insurance company. And now you have to pay for all the lawyer action as well.

One thing many people forget is that buying an insurance policy is also buying the lawyers and documentation work that comes with tracking accidents. If you set up self-insurance, you have to handle all those tasks and expenses yourself.

So, if a person who doesn't have insurance hits a person who does, why doesn't the insurance company simply pay out to the victim, while the perp has to cover his own fees? Why do both have to have insurance if the company is supposed to pay out anyways?

Because the insurance of the person responsible pays the insurance of the victim.

But why? If it's serious, criminal charges would be issued anyways, and the responsibility of the insurance company is to make sure you're covered in case of accidents, so it should be their onus to pay out. Why should insurance companies have to only cover if they're at fault?

Because that's how insurance works.

Why does it have to work that way? Oh right, because profit motive. It would make no financial sense for a restructure like that anyway, since they would lose money much more often

I feel bad for Japan though since it's 32$ USD on some trips

Of course, insurances need to make money too. The people there need to eat too.
An insurance is basically just a collective pool of money so you don't need to have 10k in the bank for the time you might hit someone. Or need to wait your entire life until the poor guy that hit you finally earned the damages he did.

>you'll get the bill in mail which will be at a higher rate.
you mean you get the bill several months later, so that they can tag on 50 dollar late fees for them sending their own mail late on purpose.
I've never paid a NY toll because of this, fuck them and their bridges.
>woops, I see you're out of state ;^)
>here is this letter from when you crossed this bridge eight months ago, btw you now have extreme late fees
>late fees is what covers the cost of the actual bridge, literally constructed with scamming in mind

Yeah but you're still in Germany