Is there a "perfect" vehicle for innawoods around the $5000 mark other than a Jeep Wrangler...

Is there a "perfect" vehicle for innawoods around the $5000 mark other than a Jeep Wrangler? I've been looking into Wrangler TJs but have also been considering an old Subaru Forester, just can't find any of those that aren't beat to shit. Last vehicle was an Isuzu Rodeo but something better at handling dirt than that would be preferred. The Rodeo was alright but didn't really handle mud too well. If it helps I'm in Texas so mostly dirt roads and occasional swamp flooding is what I would be dealing with.

Help me out brethren.

Ranger danger

These and Hiluxs

Cheers guys, gonna read up on these. Theres a bunch of these Toyotas around here.

Don’t forget about the XJ either

There's just something about that 90s Cherokee look that I absolutely love. I'll definitely keep an eye out for one.

Where are you guys finding good examples of Wranglers and Toyotas for under $5000?

Craiglist and private sales

2000 basically looks the same but has more horse power and uses a coil pack instead of distributor.

>fpbp

>fordshit

>Tacoma under 5k

Not after Lyndon B Johnson.

I drove a 01 XJ for a few years, an improvement over the early 90s models imo. Still had some crappy Chrysler components but a few of them were updated and the coil pack was nice. I had the luck to get one with the shitty CA emissions package, if I recall it had 3 catalytic converters and 4 O2 sensors.

>implying the Tacoma is subject to the Chicken Tax despite being manufactured in the US since its inception

Suzuki Samurai not even joking they are extremely competent off road.

This or a Geo Tracker if you can find one in good condition

>other than a Jeep Wrangler
Did you live in NY or something. $5k is shit box jeep territory down here

Have a '97 Grand Cherokee with a V8. Its unstoppable. Also have a '99 Wrangler. The only weak point that I can think of off the top of my head would be the axles. If you get a Wrangler put Dana 44s on it. They're rock solid and almost impossible to destroy.

4runner or Toyota truck 4x4 with 22re

Daily reminder that driving a Jeep will attract girls like flies to shit. Love taking girls' virginities in my Jeep

this is only good advice if you happen to like trailer trash

no college girls like jeeps too my man

G-class benz is being used all around the world for a reason

>D A D D Y ' S M O N E Y

>v card in college
Nothing worth taking there

Land cruiser/LX470!
Jeeps are shit. Don't fuck with them.

Ford explorer/ranger with the 4.0 ohv and a Manual transmission.
gotta have the 4x4 also and limited slip diffs help.
they run about $1000 - 2000 around here.

If you're something for long term. You want an old Chevy Van. I'm not fucking around either.

>Stupidly easy lift up.
>Part are easily available.
>90-95 means you can literally take parts off of any C/K series trucks.
>Can get a 350 tbi in it
>Can get a god damn 454 in it.
>Can get a 6.5 diseal in it
>reliable and low maintenance.
>rims and tires easily affordable.

I was driving one that work had for a little bit. I was fucking amazed at how well it did, it had a small block in it and it could keep up with my 95' Silverado no problem. It handled thrashing out in the desert better than I expected, however it won't be doing any steep climbs.

UAZ Hunter / Lava Niva, but I heard it's easier to hang yourself than to get them into the US due to some legal restrictions.

get a mazda fc

Old 90s Toyota would be best

I had a 03 ranger and it gave me more issues than my Hyundai tiburon, Jeep Cherokee and Kia spectra combined.
Never again.

I hate to be that guy, but doesn't this belong on Veeky Forums? You didn't even mention SHTF.

I have a 98 Cherokee and I love it. Down side is no Gucci aftermarket parts. I may get a wrangler after I pay off the loan in the Cherokee and keep the Cherokee as my hunting truck

Jeeps are shit in general (although the AMC 4.0 I6 is fucking glorious) and Subarus are shit for off road specifically. Scoobies below the WRX have three open diffs so you're going to have to rely on brake vectoring if you ever lift a tire.

The new OHC Rangers have all sorts of problems and the old OHV Rangers don't have enough power to roll down a driveway.

>older so no electronics for the gubmint to hack
>diesel so tons of torque
>also can use cooking oil for fuel
>manual trannies
>4wd
>fun
>all the ladies love it

Get a gen 1 4Runner/Surf

Pic is mine

what problems did you have?

The early chain tensioners had problems but that was fixed 02 and up i believe

>things that never happened

those are garbage

Is your steering wheel on the wrong side? Or is it just from where the picture is flipped?

Soviet BRDM-2 armored car. Amphibious, armored, extra wheels for crossing trenches. 140hp engine provides a decent amount of power. Can be had for as low as $6000, but expect $7000 total due to import fees and other junk. It s maximum speed of only 60mph may prove a slight downer though.

>120 ft-lbs
>""tons of torque""
It's about the same as your average bicyclist.

Crown Vic.

>he doesn’t understand the difference in torque at low rpm vs. high rpm

Pleb. Although I don’t think Toyota ever imported Diesel engines into the states.

t. 26 y/o virgin

>Implying the most beat to shit, held together with tie wire tacomas dont go for 5k

Toyota Hilux. Depending on the anarchic state of your home country, these go well with added cattle rails with a central mount for a DShK or an M2

Said no one ever. Explain yourself.

Not him, but I've looked into those and they are importing old ones now. Diesel too. No spare parts available in this country though.

Wanglers suck ass and are for college girls and hipsters. They're overpriced and under performing. Get just about anything else. And I love Subaru, but they're not really for off roading, they're more for bad on road conditions. Off road demands true 4wd. Not awd. If you don't understand the difference, and I'm not saying you don't, then look it up and become familiar with it.

I’m he guy with the Surf. You can get any of the parts you need from eBay/Europe/japan for a fraction more than domestic parts. I just changed the timing belt and I was able to get all of the parts pretty easily.

Nah must be how it is because you see the steering in US spot on the maroon car.

First the starter went out. Then the alternator. One cylinder went bad and another was on its way, So I went ahead and had a new engine put in
Three months later steam pours out and engine dies. I look inside and the fan,fan shaft, and flywheel have disconnected from the engine and smashed into the radiator. Luckily the mechanics fix all this for free (they said it was a bad bearing? But who knows maybe they didn't tighten something down) two months later a fucking tree falls on it.
At this point I said fuck it, it's cursed, bought a Cherokee and haven't had any problems. Added benefit, it's easy to work on myself

Don't bother with Subarus, they're not bad cars but have a cult following and end up way overpriced for what they are. Same goes for Toyota pickups, especially 1st gen Tacos. It'll be hard finding semi-decent ones around $5k.

You could try looking for a Nissan Xterra or Frontier, much cheaper than Toyota in any case.

You stupid faggot you're still driving a fucking Chester the monster van.

Early model Chevy Blazer

Forrester? You must be joking!

Mods move this thread but don't touch the fucking fifty plus tranny threads a week. The absolute state of /k/

Patrician taste

I would do a burnout on her filly snatch