Building Go-Kart out of 5hp lawn mower engine, any tips?

Me and my retarded friends are constructing a Go-kart out of a old lawn mower, curiously I was wondering if there is anything in place or that could be put in place to stop it from red lining and potentially blowing and killing the driver (me)

>Me and my retarded friends
My retarded friends and I

If you're using the original carburator you should be alright.

We are, looks like it's had better days though, thanks for the tip tho.

Looks like it's time for an LS swap.

I never understood why people build these using a lawnmower engine, isnt it hard to build the drive components? you cant exactly just turn the engine sideways on these things without flooding them right? I figured I would use a chainsaw motor just to make the drive easy.

You can use a scrap transaxle, weld up some sprockets and use a chain.

irs probably better to use an old snowmobile engine.

699cc rotax

shit if were going to play this game how about he just scrap a vw bug engine and tranny and mount it to a piece of plywood with wheels?

XD

(OP here)
Pretty sure it is because of how relatively easy it is to acquire one. Old lawnmowers aren't really expensive and My retarded friends and I are not exactly swimming in money. The lawnmower was selected because it was the cheapest engine we could find (and by cheap I mean it was free)

that would have less than half the power.
why would you do that?

DO NOT use wood anyhere for mounting anything.
trust me i'm a scientist

Don't worry user, that wood is only for when we are working on it.

the wood in the pic is not why i said what i said.
but either way, i'm sure you'll be fine

>you cant exactly just turn the engine sideways on these things without flooding them right?
no you can't, learned this the hard way in high school when a buddy got hold of his parents' old mower
of course we wanted to do the same thing as OP and turned it sideways to remove the mower blades and change the drive belt ratio for more top speed
all the oil ran out trough the carburetor and air filter onto the garage floor, we then mopped it up
and being the stupid kids we where decided the best way to dispose of it would be to bury it under some random plant in the garden
to this day my friends mom is wondering why every plant she puts in that spot keeps dying within a couple months
oh god those where the days

isn't that how they got the first tata motors car?

Wat is this? A motor for ants?

>tata motors car

Pic is Tata's next Jaguar model.

The appeal of using lawnmower engines is that people chuck them out all the time and they weren't necessarily meant to be used for any type of transportation in the first place

it's the thrill of having next to no investment in doing something you totally weren't meant to do with garbage

theres literally one of these for $20
of course wont run without the CDI

GSXR motor

>thread

what is it?

Hardest part for me was figuring out how to not make the chain pop off.

Also brakes.

I suggest you buy the kart frame used online and not try to make it yourself like this guy I got a pretty ok kart frame for 100e, with wheels and all. Also, you might want to consider putting on a variator to get a bit more use out of your low power engine with a slim powerband, pic related seems to be the best one if you live in the US.

Use the engine from a hayabusa instead.

Boosted 'busa engine bro