25 Million GM Cars Recalled - Related Ignition Switch

How come GM fucked up so badly?

>General Motors has settled yet another case relating to its ignition switch recall, this time paying $13.9 million to Orange County, California.

>Late Friday, an Orange County superior court judge approved settlement after prosecutors for the county accused the carmaker of deliberately concealing serious safety defects, therefore violating false advertising and unfair competition laws.

>This $13.9 million settlement comes just a few weeks after GM agreed to a $120 million settlement with 49 individual U.S. states and the District of Columbia, Reuters reports.

>Things are far from over for GM either. It is still facing over 100 other lawsuits regarding its faulty ignition switches, including economic loss and personal injury claims. To date, the company has spent over $2.5 billion on penalties and settlements.

carscoops.com/2017/10/gm-agrees-to-139-million-settlement-in.html

They always "fuck up so badly" desu

nooooooooooo

Another company in the shit because bloodsucking lawyers and fuckin jews.
Go ahead and debate, i won't be reading

yfw tax payers foot the bill every time GM's cost-cutting bites them in the ass like this

All this because some retard wanted to spend 2 cents less on springs

All of this because some retard carry a boeing 747 on their keyring.

Ford forgot to tighten down a couple million F150 gas tanks when they came out a few years ago.

This. GM's have always had shitty ignitions. My 90's trucks didn't lock the keys and they would start up in drive/reverse. People should know this is part of that GM life. And by looking at the key chain threads it seems like most faggots have 10lbs of shit on their key chains. Have fun getting that shit embedded in your kneecap during a crash.

GM has always been the worst of the big three.
>In the 70s they had giant-ass landbarges that got 5 mpg and had the acceleration and handling associated with condominiums
>In the 80s and 90s all their cars looked the same and were outdated compared to the competition
>In the 2000s all their cars were made of mcdonalds food tray plastic and pre-rusted steel
>In the 2010s they sell two identical trucks at two different prices because >MUH PROFESSIONAL GRADE

>2017
>buying GM

>2017
>buying American car
fix'd

There was nothing wrong with the switches. All the crashes happened because of poorfags with 10 pounds of keys.

Is my 2009 Silverado coo

>designed so if it has any more than 2 keys it fails
>"HURRRR DURRR NOT A BUG ITS A FEATURE"

no, it's a Chevy

He looks confused. This doesn’t bode well

My Honda Accord had a faulty ignition switch and repeatedly shut off while driving it.

Where's my settlement money?

It happens to any car. The difference is the GM engineer put it on record that he had a solution and corporate didn't approve of the solution. Other brands' engineers never pointed it out as a fault and thus can blame the customer and not corporate for the oversight.

>2017
>buying cars
re ftfy

it doesn't happen in my car, mr Faglord

and yet they still make a better even than Tesla.

don't they change that for free.

>don't they change that for free.
Not if the customer doesn't report a problem with it because lawyers didn't feel there is profit protential in trying to make a class action lawsuit out of it. There are various car defects in all makes and models which need free servicing only when the problems occur.

NIPS DINDU NUFFIN

>NIPS DINDU NUFFIN
Takata airbags was like that at first.
Then they deceptively begged for time to do repayments and make replacement airbags. During that time, the investors protected their assets by having takata legally sell off the assets to the investor companies. Thus those assets can't be sued as compensation. For the assets that couldn't be divested or sold off legally, the remnant and its IP was sold to chinese companies which are resistant to lawsuits. Thus the debt was transferred away from Takata and pushed back onto the car manufacturers. It's dirty, but the chinese made a windfall because holding the IP means they legally can provide the airbag replacements by selling them (as the neo-takata chinese company) rather than giving them away for free as replacements (as takata original). It's not quite as simple as that, but I think I've distilled part of the logic why those chinese businessment did what they did.

>GM shills cant even afford whole sentences

>better even than Tesla
How to open the Tesla hood without a key or damaging the hood.

>better even than Tesla
>How to open the Tesla hood without a key or damaging the hood.

Under the hood is the easy to cut special link that disables most of Tesla's power systems for emergency purposes or to prevent a fire and meltdown. Cutting it means the protection circuits inside the battery modules will isolate the batteries from the car. Until fixed, the car is disabled.

Damn, that looks great.

It was possible to just bump the keyfob with an object or with your knee/hand and have it pop out of a running ignition. The ignition was inherently defective. And even then, attaching heavier objects was not new to 2004, it happened for decades.

That all said, it's probably why GM has made a massive push towards proximity fobs (even in lower trims) in their newer cars.

Yeah. Basically this, it used to be you would have something break on your car and be like "eh nothing last forever just replace it I guess" now it's "omfg time to make as class action suit and sue the fuck out of whoever"

What fricking babies. I wonder why the manufacturing jobs left?

>To date, the company has spent over $2.5 billion on penalties and settlements.
It's too bad investors need protection. Otherwise, GM management should give the lawyers and lawsuit fans what they want. Sell the entire company and trademarks to the chinese auto companies and disburse the funds to all investors, dealerships, and the lawyers. Let the USA and its people then wonder at another company that shrunk year after year and finally went down the drain.

Welcome the new Overlord.

I sure hope nobody walks around to cut those loops at night leaving all those poor tesla owners clueless on a monday morning

Devilish_pepe.png

>I wonder why the manufacturing jobs left?
It's well documented. But the consumer doesn't care much for patriotism or economic solidarity in general. The general consumer is unable or refuses to care about copyright, patent, and trademark violations too. And complicating things is how consumers often blame the USA company for a faulty chinese product and in some cases a product that the USA company had no hand in making but the chinese fulfillment house was basically the only "affordable" seller due to all other usa companies being out of business except for boutique manufacturers in business due to the USA government buying products to preserve the knowledge base and patents.

The knockoff ELM chips are a blessing and a curse.

If your intent is to clear a vanilla error code on an Asian car they work great. But since they're made in asia for the cheap market, they tend to only support 2 of the 6 signaling methods allowed under OBD II. Ford and GM use different methods depending on the model, ford LOVED pwm signaling in the past).

All vehicles from 2008 afterwards need to support CAN-BUS.

I like stuff from OBDLink if you like firmware upgradeable stuff with a good read rate (much faster scans especially if you're using it to record performance data).

and half of it is owned by the fed now, gm is such a joke company

>love those handy straps
>knows what he's doing to his bosses car next week

ITT Ford shills get butthurt and go way back to the ignition recall

>blaming the consumer for companies outsourcing.

Profit margins, shareholders and executive payouts certainly influenced companies decisions to make a cheaper product and sell it at the same price.