Precious metals markets

What do you fellas think precious metals will do this year? Up or down?

Also who here is into precious metals? Ive been converting the tips from my job into silver and I would like to see markets go down so I can buy more of it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102
m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=YJ4c5atUjsE
youtu.be/XmHBPuPfB0k
youtube.com/watch?v=YaJzrOJxV0Q
celticgold.eu/en/buy-silver.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Delivery
youtube.com/watch?v=rzYEjhU73ow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm also buying silver and my prediction is there is no way it is going down from where it is right now, I think we have 1-3 years before it starts going up significantly, the next wave of technology will stretch demand far greater than available supplies; silver is going 'extinct' and soon. We should consider 20$ ounces a bargain.

btw the most interesting thing I have learned recently is silver discussion is being heavily censored by google - this is very telling.

Addendum, ive established a mining claim and am currently pulling an ounce a summer just working it off and on weekends with hand tools.

Obviously I aint gonna make a fortune with a gold pan and sluice box, but I managed to find a spot the prospectors and corporate groups missed. Thinkin maybe I can sell rights to the claim for a lot more than I paid to establish the claim.

wtf

See, what prompted me to get into it was reading about that shitty deal in greece where the banks declared that 10% of everyones accounts were being used to prevent a collapse and the account holder's were "compensated" with equivalent value in stock for the now worthless bank.

I got thinkin maybe I need something with zero 3rd party risk to kinda pad out my savings strategy.

Also, OP claiming trip-fag title for thread organizational purposes.

There was a creek the original prospectors worked over in the 1800's, and then the big corporate groups in the 1980's came through and stripped what was left by them.

But they failed to notice that 100 yards to the east of their operation lay a dry and buried streambed the creek originally flowed through.

Gold is washed downstream and being heavier than everything else collects in riffles where the stream touches bedrock.

I payed $200 for a basic hand tools only mining claim to the ancient buried stream bed they overlooked and diverted the creek to run down its original path.

The water washed the loamy top soil away exposing the old bedrock for the first time since the ice age and got to work with my pan and sluice box.

Breddy cool mate. Is there a fee to claim?

Whats the benifits of minted over cast ?

Yeah, it varies state to state. Here its like $200. Gig is, you can only use hand tools and no permanant structures are allowed.

You gotta spend mad $$$$$ to be allowed to use heavy equipment. The profits aint in the sluice boxes, theyre in finding a spot rich enough to convince one of the corporate groups to buy it from you.

wow this is probably the coolest thing I've ever seen on Veeky Forums

I get that a lot. Folks have literally asked me "WOW! so you just like.... pull GOLD outta the ground?!"

Uhhh.... yeah, where the hell did you THINK it came from? Elves?

Trick is
A) knowing enough gelology to look in the right place
B) finding a right place that hasnt been picked over yet.
C) posessing the work ethic to pan and sluice it out. Or the crazy $$$$ to pay for a full blown heavy extraction license and use hydraulic dredges, blasting, and heavy equipment
D) finding somebody with such resources and convincing them your place is the real deal and worth buying out

Part B is by far the most difficult of the 4.

where exactly do you guys even buy silver? Do you guys order this shit online? Is there a certain weight and type of silver that is the best?

I think most people are under the assumption that gold is inaccessible without heavy industry, because it's all too deep or so massively dispersed that it's pointless to even try without all the tech that lets you filter through hundreds of tons of rock and soil a day

This assumption is also for the most part true

Buying gold or silver is easy. You can find it online or at any gold or silver shop.

Heres the thing, ya gotta know the difference between spot price and actual price.

Actual price should vary between $1.00 over spot (good) to $1.50 over spot (average)

You should never buy silver in less than 1 ounce amounts, and gold in less than 1/10th of an ounce.

This is because like most things, precious metals price over spot is lower in bulk.

Coins and "collectible" bars are a ripoff because you usually get charged way over spot for "collectors value" that may or may not be real.

Keep in mind a gold or silver "bar" or "buillion" can be as small as a postage stamp size and thickness 1 gram piece.

Buy generic silver bars at 1 ounce and generic gold bars at 1/10th punce (though ideally buy 1 ounce or more if you can afford it, remember bulk = lower price)

You will almost NEVER buy precious metals at exactly market value, the person selling will always add a bit, never less than an extra dollar an ounce, if its more than 2 dollars extra per ounce its a ripoff.

Scrap precious metals are a ripoff as jewelry and decoration quality metals are not pure and thus do not posess market value anyways. Plus buyers will always subrtract impurity from what they pay you, and will always sell it like its market value pure stuff.

(Example, on ebay you can find PILES of scrap gold and silver, you will notice idiots dazzled by how impressive a pile of gold and silver looks bidding it past 2 or even 3 times its actual market value IF IT WERE PURE! its maybe %25 to %50 other metals like tin, copper, and zinc so its not only worth less than the already inflated price they paid, its worth less than .999 fine purity (purity measurement at which market standards apply)

So guys bit of 8 ounces of scrap silver at $250 whilst pure silver is only selling for $150 at that weight, and this stuff is mixed with tin so its only really only woth $100.

You arent wrong. Its incredible that I found what I did.

So basics:

Know market value

Know what the expected fair price over market value is.

Know what purity you are buying. (Market standard is .999 fine. if its any percentage less and that isnt deducted from price its a ripoff)

"Collectability" is almost always either unpredictable at best or false at worst.

pretty good info I guess, I am extremely optimistic about silver and in it for the long term so I buy the really nice coins. Mostly silver eagles (pic related) and perth mint lunars. I'm getting into some others now like the queens beast.
Basically I do end up payin 2-3$ over spot (and more for lunar coins)... but they are so nice it's worth it.

I had a lightning bolt through my brain at some point while I was researching silver statistics / the uses / and the various forms of manipulation it's under so to be perfectly honest I am convinced it's going to end up Well over 100$ an ounce within my lifetime.. but I'm out of the 'panic to own' mentality and now just slowly stacking up some very nice coins.

do you buy it online or local?

seems like buying online it gets complicated with ensuring safe transfer, etc.

factor in sales tax and the risk of physical storage, why not just buy securitized gold/silver unless I'm preppin for SHTF?

Just started about a month ago. Will pick up 5-20 ounces each commission check I get and pick up random jewelry silverware if its cheap enough.

Just got some cheap necklaces off ebay, pretty sure the person had no idea what .925 meant on the chain because it is about 31 grams and it was 6$.

Found the quarters in my change jar.

Also have a super high strength magnet from a hard drive to test all my shit.

JMbullion has a spot price 10 - 1 .999 ounce silver pack for new members. Just about the best deal you will find for bars.

And scrap sterling like necklaces, silverware, pendants, you can find those anywhere like garage sales and online. Just have to look out for sterling mark and not plated shit.

I have a sterling calculator to current spot i use when buying scrap. Most of the times, its not worth it. But every so often I will see a deal usually jewelry or silverware. Havent bought silverware yet because its difficult to judge how much of it is sterling from pictures, especially bad pictures.

How do I know where to start looking

There is always VAT on silver, palladium and platin in most of europe. Feels bad.

So in the end you'll end up paying >3$ over spot price.
1 American Eagle is 25$ here, in the US is would be around 20.5$

>What do you fellas think precious metals will do this year? Up or down?
Not too bothered about that really, I care what it will be worth in 15-20 or even 30 years. Between now and then I will just slowly and steadily accumulate more as long as it remains affordable. In fact, short term I hope it goes down since that allows me to buy higher volumes for the same price.

Not to mention Britannias and Maples milk spot like a bitch. One reason I've stopped buying Silver despite it being the better short and long term buy in regards to potential upside.

Gold bugs....

>Also have a super high strength magnet from a hard drive to test all my shit.

How does that help? You can only spot mild steel with that. Even a low grade austenitic stainless steel (like 304) isn't magnetic. A lot of other alloys aren't magnetic as well.

>I am convinced it's going to end up Well over 100$ an ounce within my lifetime

If it does it will only mean that $100 will have as much purchasing power as $20-25 now. Nothing will really change.

Also the gold/silver bugs will get MASSIVELY BTFO when the government will order you to return all gold and silver bullion to the treasury.

>inb4 bullshit, that's not possible!!!11

Oh, it's very much possible, my little shills:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102
>Executive Order 6102 is a United States presidential executive order signed on April 5, 1933, by President Franklin D. Roosevelt "forbidding the Hoarding of gold coin, gold bullion, and gold certificates within the continental United States". The effect of the order, in conjunction with the statute under which it was issued, was to criminalize the possession of monetary gold by any individual, partnership, association or corporation.

>buying precious metal scrap
but why

>govman steelin all yo gold

part of the government trying to enforce it's monopoly on the idea of currency and force people to use it's magic fiat cash. why do people put up with this bullshit

how much weight have you managed to extract thus far?
how long did that take you?
is there any refining necessary or are the nuggets pure elemental Au?
do you expect to hit a lode or is that an entirely different thing geologically?

so you can sell it for profit

Silver in bars and rounds for market speculation.
Gold and gemstones (re: NOT diamonds) in coins and jewelry for SHTF.

Goldmoney fees for gold are only 0,5% fees on top of 0,1 to 0,5% over the spot price, that depends on the best bid on that moment, so, at worst it's an -1%, vaulted and secured, costs included

It allows buying any quantity of gold with those competitives prices, so it's pretty top notch.

>The effect of the order, in conjunction with the statute under which it was issued
>the statute under which it was issued
>statute
You could in theory fight and win this in court. The constitution grants the government only 2 types of jurisdiction - civil jurisdiction and military tribunal. If you are not in the military you can only ever be charged under civil jurisdiction, and the constitution states that can only happen if you breech a contract, damage property, or cause bodily harm.

So you hoard gold, an executive order of confiscation occurs and you're found out and brought to court. At your arraignment, object to all charges and refuse to enter a plea until the court can prove jurisdiction (which they can't).

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=YJ4c5atUjsE

Industrial demand for silver is way up recently and is predicted to keep rising. Most major institutions have been buying up long positions on silver even when they are shorting gold. Silver has a lot of room to rise, just might not go up extremely fast.

>gold/silver bugs will get MASSIVELY BTFO when the government will order you to return all gold and silver bullion

Fat chance in hell. Most people throughout history just kept their gold (as no one knew they even posessed it) and hid it somewhere till it became legal again to own it.

I dont know of a single instance where such a law worked. Ever.

Yeah i tend to use JMbullion quite a bit. Ive shopped them enough that i can now get their lowest price via ECheck.

Also, i like to hit up banks for half dollar rolls. Every now and then i find a few silver coins mixed in there. And check your pocket change bois.

> Coins and "collectible" bars are a ripoff because you usually get charged way over spot for "collectors value" that may or may not be real
Numismatic is not a ripoff, you pay over spot for a reason.
The value of a generic round is entirely dependent on the market spot price. Where as coins have numismatic value and spot value. If prices stay steady for the next 5 years, a generic round will be a hedge against the dollar but not increase in value, a numismatic will have appreciated %5 a year. Likewise if the market price goes up or down, the numismatic will always have its numismatic value and appreciation. Semi-numismatic ( generic rounds with nice design/artwork and limited mintage) is entirely speculative, mostly dependent on how much people like the design. I can think of a few that seem to have appreciated more than numismatic.

Unless you've got a business where people come to you with their own stuff it's not worth it. Seeking cheap scrap out yourself is too time consuming.

a lot of numismatic value is a complete meme tho.

see: chinese pandas

+ coins are harder to counterfeit than bars. I wouldn't accept a bar that just got a number stamped onto.

who buys shitty bars from unreputable mints?

Its pure gold that shows up in the bottom of my sluice boxes after Im done washing the dirt and rocks out.

A lode is something you find INSIDE bedrock and requires blasting and tunneling to reach. Pickers are what im getting which are nuggets that wash downstream and get caught in the streambed.

Ive pulled about 3 ounces all together.

If you actually know a lot about collectors value and can buy it at fair price its okay.

Problem is that a lot of "collectors" items are just prettied up generics and posess nowhere near the price over spot they sell for.

The other problem is say you got 20 $1,000 rare coins. Some guy finds a steamer trunk with 10,000 of em buried at the end of a rainbow and decides to sell all of em at once cuz hes an idiot.

Your $1,000 rare coins are now $300 kinda collectible coins.

Its a bet I dont trust, and dont know nearly anything about collectors markets so I stick to what I know and invest pureley in raw metals.

>Pickers are what im getting which are nuggets that wash downstream and get caught in the streambed
thanks for the info
I'm wondering in which way do nuggets originate, water erosion perhaps? Is there a technique allowing you to trace them to their source?

People used to think that if you followed the creek to some cliffs or large bedrock outcropping youd find the mother-lode.

Unfortunatley a lot of prospectors went crazy chasing fantasies up here because this entire region was under about a mile of glacial ice 10,000 years ago. As it shifted it ground mountains into dirt, pulverized bedrock, and scattered it all over the new terrain.

Gold is heavy, as the glaciers melted it washed into the lowest parts of stream beds. So just because there is gold doesnt mean theres a lode, that ancient glacier coulda carried the paydirt a hundred miles from any direction before it deposited where it is today.

you sure know your stuff, I only watched Cody's Lab vids one of which was panning in AK

best of luck to you user

Gold should go up when the current stock bubble bursts.

Those shows are SOOO bad.

They show shit like pic related, but I look at the equipment they are using and go "if you worked like a motherfucker using that quality gear for 4 months in absolute virgin grade A paydirt you MIGHT get what the guy on tv is pretending he got in a week"

Its a common gimmick to place the seasons take in a single pan or sluice to look photogenic and get people excited.

I detest it because people will just buy pickers and take photos like that or show videos of them "oh wow lookit what I just happened to find!" In order to sell their played out worthless claim to some greedy idiot for several thousand dollars.

It makes it really hard to sell your claim for honest guys like me because people either have a false idea of what the daily take from a grade A claim should look like, or accuse you of planting gold on a dead claim to sell it for more.

Sorry forgot pic.

Gold planting at its worst right here. This one is from a campground that offers gold panning to yuppie tourists as an activity.

Also a racket, you can always tell the yuppies they arent getting anything because theyre amatuers and they always believe you.

I'm not talking TV kikery but an individual from YT
Cody's Lab is one of my favourite channels because he's an honest and likable bloke that's grounded in science
you can see the vid in question for yourself, the action starts at 1:57 youtu.be/XmHBPuPfB0k

I have a refinery near me that pays 90% for scrap or converts it to bullion @ 97.5%.

So as long as I take into account price of scrap * 92.5 for sterling * .97.5 or .90 for conversion, I can still come out ahead.

Not every one has access to places like this.

The magnet is strong as fuk, and its not so much as to test for the metal, but to do the slide test. Silver slides slower on magnets.

Ye Jmbull seems like the best or on par with apmex. Will prob be buying 25 ounces next check.

>If it does it will only mean that $100 will have as much purchasing power as $20-25 now. Nothing will really change.

This may be true of gold which tends to follow inflation, but that still means its a better form of savings than fiat currency - in fact when you really study and understand gold you stop thinking about it in terms of dollars anyways.

Silver is different because it is an incredibly useful metal being the most conductive, reflective, and antibiotic of all metals it is used extensively in every single electronic device and computer; and we're not talking trace amounts - an i-mac for example contains 1/2 of an ounce of silver.

I believe that very soon physical silver will be the most valuable material you can posess; they have put "circuit breakers" on SLV paper silvers so that if it gains more than 5$ in one day trading will be paused, the ability of financial institutions to supress the price of silver while hoarding millions of physical ounces is falling apart, even google is literally censoring people who discuss silver -

Buy online from reputable sources. It’s safer that way.

1. Your first order should be the JM Bullion beginner pack. You can buy 10 ounces at market price.

2. All further purchases should be Generic Silver (by ounce) from APMEX. This is consistently the lowest price over spot that I’ve found online.

I buy online in very small amounts from different ebay users, I usually look for good deals on a single coin since I like the nicer coins. Sometimes I will buy 5 or 10 eagles at once from whichever bullion dealer on ebay has the best price at the moment (the shipping through their websites btw is ridiculous so ebay tends to be better)

As far as storing it safely there are a lot of methods, but basically you hide it wherever no one will look and lock it up - and I have never told anyone, even my closest family members that I own silver.

American Eagles or generic bars?

govt minted coins are a lot nicer, there seems to be two types of stackers those who go for as much weight as possible for their money (generics) and those who collect a variety of all sorts of nicer silver (eagles, maples, britanias, perth mint stuff, libertads etc..)
Me personally I buy the nicer stuff and keep everything in acrylic capsules - it keeps me interested. Once you have some silver and do a lot more research you'll understand. btw you can't really go wrong buying an eagle or two as your first purchase.

youtube.com/watch?v=YaJzrOJxV0Q

All it takes to determine the gold content is a few tests, no matter what mint it came from.

This is the most autistically interesting thing I've read in a long time. Good luck on your endeavors, guys.

▲▲

Cool. Why not build a bigger sluice and get you a skid loader?

Try and find it cucks...

I have a big sluice, I cant use a skid loader because my claim type only allows for hand tools.

Mining claim laws unfairly favor big companies by making fees for such operations high, and requiring expensive environmental impact studies. Only corporate outfits can make profit off of such ventures.

Of not claim jumping is still a thing. Showed up to find a rival trying to plaster his claim markers over mine. Chased him off with some harsh language and gesturing with my AK-47.

If he wanted to work some good paydirt he could just ask and I'd let him run his sluice on my claim a few days a month, theres more than enough gold here for it, but underhanded shit like that is what gets a guy shot.

you're wrong mate.
i'm not advertising, i once bought from this shop. no vat. trustworthy imho.
celticgold.eu/en/buy-silver.html

>packed in cardboard & plastic
>gingerly held in cotton gloves

So as not to disturb the precious cardboard?

idk, perhaps not to detract from the product presented
those blister packs are pretty solid

Then why even put a hand in the shot? Totally silly.

I've always removed any gold from clunky packaging and opted for tiny plastic baggies instead. Never had any problems selling scuffed 1oz maples raw from the pocket.

you can tell from the filename that it's a thumbnail from a yt vid, perhaps they display different products in it
keeping the bar in the blister supposedly expedites the liquidation process, idk I only stack

>expedites the liquidation process

Can't speak for silver because of tarnish, but it's actually the opposite for selling gold. Anyone worth his shop will ask for it to be removed from packaging so it can be examined and subsequently purchased.

I've seen videos where they expose the gold that is in these cardboard/plastic packaging is very likely to be fake. The idea is people will be less likely to remove it and test it.

In the end a gram of gold is worth a gram of gold so it doesn't matter if it is in the package or not you should always remove it to test it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Delivery
these are supposed to be the most trustworthy of mints, at least for us in the old world
I admit I opened only one random 100g bar and carefully measured its dimensions, weight and volume, everything seems to be in order

Especially now that counterfeit or impure buillion is such a big thing nowdays.

Ive heard stories about people doing specific gravity test on large bullion from switzerland and its just a bit...... off. Not a lot, but not right.

So they drilled it out and found a 1 pound tungsten rod inside the core of the bullion.

Was hushed up pretty quickly, and switzerland claimed the bar was a counterfeit of one of their bars, but gold impurity and counterfeiting is on the rise nowdays.

One of the biggest international gold scams potentially going on is that some bullion is not pure gold. Maybe 1 gram per ounce is copper.

But if its a 100 ounce bar thats 3 ounces of copper, if banks trading billions in metals are trading thousands of ounces of copper mixed in with the piles of gold they claim as collateral then that means potentially billions of the wealth some of the worlds largest banks are claiming as collateral is fake.

But mysteriously a full audit is never called and when purity tests occur it on bullion samples provided by the bank in question and auditors and purity inspectors only get theier hands on matierial that was cherry picked by the guys being investigated.

Theres some pretty shady stuff going on in the big time gold trade.

THis. After ordering silver bullion, I always take one out to test it. Might even start a jewtube making videos of me testing my stuff. Im game to drill some holes or sut my stuff in half for science.

The next big scam isnt even illegal.

They got these gold $100 bills made out of significantly less than 1 gram of gold leaf stretched over paper.

Theres max $3.00 worth of gold in the thing, people routineley buy them on ebay for $50 to $90.

Its a big flashy and ultimatley worthless novelty item, but idiots get excited because they have zero idea what gold is actually worth, or how thin you can stretch an insignificant amount over something.

Maybe one of your videos could be showing how truly worthless these things are, cuz theres maybe 1/10th of a gram of gold in total in these things and people are currently buying them up at 3 and 4 gram price ranges.

I think precious metals will do this year what they always do: shine

I have zero silver. What should I buy first? Kilos, ounces, gram sheets?

If just the silver is all you are after 1 ounce bars are the lowest amount you should buy silver in.

Gold is best bought at 1/10th ounce.

Obviously the larger amount you can buy at a time the better your spot price will be, so if you have the means buy larger.

If possible buy from a reputable brick and mortar shop, especially since shipping costs oblitorate spot price. Why spend $20 shipping 10 ounces of silver when you could just use that 20 to buy another ounce?

If you do buy online do so from well rated and heavily verified sellers. Otherwise you run the risk of buying a fake chinese bar like pic related.

Remember, its what the bar is made out of that counts, not what is engraved on it. Any scammer with a few ounces of real gold and a good metal stamping machine can wrap a gram of gold around a tungsten bar and stamp an authentic looking "bank of switzerland .999 fine" on it.

LMAO. You sound like you're straight out of the 1880s. Why don't you just say fuck the government and bring in the heavy machinary anyways? I'm sure you wouldn't be the only business that'd be fucking the government.

Have you ever dealt with the EPA? Theyre like the ATF or DEA only if you agitate some fish or piss off a hippie you're up to your armpits in lawsuits and criminal charges.

In order to get away with and profit from pissing the EPA off you gotta be running multi-million dollar operations so that when the 2 million dollar fine pops up you can laugh and pay it while wiping your ass with the 40 million you made before they caught you.

>Gold is best bought at 1/10th ounce.
Why?

Because spot prices per gram are usually pretty crappy, and most folks dont have enough money to buy it at higher amounts.

Ideally gold is best bought by the kilogram to get the best price, but if you got money to buy it in those amounts you probably dont need to worry about spot price.

Note: spot price means what you pay over market value to whoever is selling it. spot price on gold should be about $1 to $1.50 an ounce.

On grams companies usually mark it up more for smaller weights.

An example: market price per gram is currently $39.64

The gold shop in my town sells it for $42 even.

Thats a spot price of $2.36, which is fucking ridicoulous.

1/10th ounce is at $1.30 over spot price.

People go "okay, well its just a few bucks, why get so jewish about spot prices"

Because if you buy an ounce of silver a week like I do, and plan to do so for a long term period then .50 here and $1.00 there will add up to hundreds of dollars over the years, which is money that you could have used to buy MORE.

MORE is bigger returns when markets spike.

So if I bought 200 ounces at $2.00 over spot when it should be $1 over spot, and markets double thats 10 ounces more I could have sold at twice what I bought it at.

When stockpiling precious metals over a long term period of time that $200 extra you spent on overly high spot prices translates into hundreds or even thousands of dollars in missed opportunity when big fluctuations occur.

>Because spot prices per gram are usually pretty crappy
All right then, I am planning to buy a one ounce maple soon, just needed to be sure I wasn't missing something.

Also collectors coins are horseshit.

I aint talkin antiques, im talking modern commemoratives that are marketed as collectible.

They aint. They say "oh, we only made $1,500! Buy now before we run out! Limited time offer!"

So they sell you a gold coin that has 1/10th of an ounce of gold in it at a %40 markup of what the actual gold content is worth because it MIGHT become collectible someday.

Thing is, since its not even actual currency there are no laws saying that after all $1,500 sell out they cant just make another two, five, or ten thousand more (which they inevitably do)

Garunteeing that your shitty novelty gold souvenir is niether rare nor any more valuable than the metal content it contains.

Unless its a verfied antique a professional assayer has valued at above its metal content do not fall for collectible scams.

If your goal is to use metals as a savings method dont even buy these. The point of storing some of your savings in precious metals is to
A) have a way of storing value that carries no 3rd party risk (wont lose it in a bank collapse, IRS or debt collectors cant garbish it, if you keep is secret your wife cant get half of it etc etc)

B) you can at any time liquidate it quickly to access its value

Antique coins worth more than their metal require negotiations, assayers verification, and locating a buyer who is willing to pay for it, which involves negotiations and time.

So some day when you need access to that money NOW you are faced with a 3 to 6 week assaying and selling process to sell that $3,000 rare coin.

You could have just bought $3,000 worth of silver and gold and can walk into any gold or silver store or pawn shop and sell it at just a little bit under market value to liquidate it within 5 minutes.

I buy from APMEX, shipping is free over $100.

>Antique coins worth more than their metal require negotiations, assayers verification, and locating a buyer who is willing to pay for it, which involves negotiations and time.
you've clearly never bought or sold rare coins.

No?

Okay. Take a shoebox full of antique silver dollars to a coin shop and try to sell them all at once for what they are actually worth numismatically then.

I can take a shoebox full of bullion in and walk out 20 minutes later cash in hand, your collection of antique coins will have to be sorted, inspected, graded.

Liquidating a collection vs liquidating raw metal are two entireley different processes.

Yes, selling a morgan here or there is easy. Just try to liquidate a collection, its going to take weeks, and the more valuable a coin is the more difficult its going to be to find a buyer.

This. There was a big story about a shipment to the Chinese government from the HSBC vault in Manhattan that turned out to have a significant portion that was fake

You usually dont run into fake gold unless its buying online from disreputable sources, or in really big amounts.

Brick and mortar buisinesses are safest because if you find that what they sold you is fake you can take it back (always store bullion with the reciept btw) and inform them its fake.

If they refuse to exchange it you can call the police, I had a friend find a fake 1 oz silver bar in a pile of them he bought from our local shop.

They immiediatley exchanged it for a real one and contacted the police to report the person theyd bought it from.

(Turns out a new employee had bought it and did not test as thouroughly as he should have).

That said is good advice too. APMEX is pretty legit and offers fair spot prices and shipping deals.

These are pretty interesting

My stack as it stands

nice stack.. I need to get some gilded coins the eagle on the top left looks sweet. What year is that bull?

>tfw I bought 20 oz of silver at ~$15 and sold at ~$18

I like it, it is aesthetic, it is historical, and it's REAL and tangible unlike BTC. But, holy shit, the price does not fucking move.

jp morgan, duetsch bank, and the entire electronics industry won't allow the price to move but I feel like silver's time will come soon.

It's really fun to own and collect in the meantime, I'm kind of glad it's manipulated so heavily - historically a person being able to own 100's of ounces of silver is very unique (basically even kings didn't own as much as some stackers do now). I doubt it will ever be this low again.

I'll probably stack again when when I get my fucking master's degree out of the way.

I'm so fucking tired of fucking school. I haven't learned shit, though I did study applied econ, so that's probably why.

I just need to get some income first.

I always thought it would be funny to smelt the gold from my claim into 1 ounce coins and kinda make my own gold coins.

Maybe 500 years from now somebody would find one and go "what country was (my last name) republic? We gotta revise our history books!"

Troll the future!

Really fascinating thread!

Yeah, you hear about gold and silver stackers and go "meh" and dont think much of it.

Most folks only ever see a coin or two at a time. The first time you hold a 5 ounce or bigger bar you get this vague obsessive feeling like you gotta get more.

Its like a squirrel packing away acorns, ya always gotta add a bit here and there to the stash.

Once you get a good stack built up sometimes you just wanna take it out and look at it. You totally understand the old concept of scrooge-like misers a lot better.

Its important to have restraint and to only use excess income a bit at a time because its very possible for it to become a sickness.

Really nice thread!

A few questions to the claim bro:
Where are you?
No need to give the exact location, but maybe for which gold rush your area was famous?

And since you ripped on panning: I'm thinking about trying it anyways for river deposits. I'm in Austria, and we have some gold deposits in the alps, but forget about getting a claim. But if I just go "hiking" for a weekend and dig around in some good looking river bends, no one will care.
Any resources for that? (mostly technique). fun thing is, I'm a geologist by trade, but I wen't into water (because that's going to be the most valuable thing in the future…), so I'd have to reread a bunch of resource geology stuff anyways.
Btw: I am totally aware that I will likely not find anything (apart from some heavy minerals probably) besides cold hands, but it seems like a fun thing to try, since I like being /out/ in remote places anyways.

Oh, and:
>google is actively censoring talk about silver
[citation needed]
But yeah, they are definitely aware of what we are talking about. Captcha: Disponible silver

What are the small squares? They look quite cool.
And wtf are those?

Some people in the youtube silver community noticed that google's algorythms are nerfing any video that mentions silver, bitcoin, gold, pizzagate, and a few other topics.

youtube.com/watch?v=rzYEjhU73ow

This is clif high who besides believing that all humans are psychic to some level is very experienced in math and programming, he's quite smart imo but you can make up your own mind.

looks like snappers. You can buy a 100g sheet that has 100 snap off squares like that.