Why do people say that idling an engine is bad for the car/engine??

why do people say that idling an engine is bad for the car/engine??

Other urls found in this thread:

lifehacker.com.au/2014/07/if-your-car-will-be-idling-for-more-than-10-seconds-just-turn-it-off/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm assuming it's because of carbon buildup but there's probably a more complicated reason

Who says this?

My E36 M3 owner's manual specifically states not to idle the engine to warm it up

Depends how long it's idling for. With diesels especially, running for extended periods without a load ends up glazing bores prematurely.

It can glaze the cylinders and low oil pressure at idle isn't good for a engine.

It's probably because it takes significantly longer to warm the engine up just idling than it does driving it gently.

In a fuel injected vehicle the car's computer injects more fuel at lower temps to compensate for the fact that colder engine temps mean that gasoline is less likely to evaporate into the air. Gas is a good solvent so it takes the oil off your cylinder walls.

some people, many people, believe me

>idling is bad
>turning your engine on is bad
>cars are bad for the environment
>Buy a bicycle

You cunts will believe anything

Why do people drive cars? Every Time you start it up and drive it, it's breaking it.

lifehacker.com.au/2014/07/if-your-car-will-be-idling-for-more-than-10-seconds-just-turn-it-off/

do any of you have oil pressure gauges

Probably comes from a time when shitty V8's were common and extended idling wouldn't lube the cam enough because not enough oil being slung off the crank and it would flatten a lobe. Modern engines with properly engineered systems like OHC are immune to this.

i do

This. Older cars would basically starve themselves of oil at idle. In a modern car you shouldn't have any issues especially without the burden of carburetors.

>tfw remote start and let mt car get nice and toasty for 10 min before getting in

Yeah, pressure is low when its cold. But I have a tbi set up and my oil pressure gauge likes to bounce around.

>.au

If you idle the car for long periods of time, consistently, it may do some damage in the long run.

However

For the person who starts their car and then makes their coffee before going to work, theres going to be no significant difference between someone who does and does not warm their car up via idling.

My crown vic had around 5000 hours of idling when bought, is that a long period?

Sounds like BS to me, or perhaps it was once true for some specific engine family, but isn't applicable to all engines.
What's bad is starting the engine and immediately driving off if it's cold outside, you should give it a minute to move the oil around and then drive gently till it reaches optimal temperatures.

>you'll save gas by turning off your engine for 10 seconds
>you'll save gas by breaking your car
That article is absolutely retarded.

what about start-stop

For a police crown victoria no, for a normal car, yes

>pleb non engineer tries to answer question
>claims location of cam being further from oil pump will mean better lubrication

>modern engines have adjustable clearances between bearing and race which means lower oil pressure at idle won't damage them
Literally everyone in this thread

That doesnt cause ware as much as it hurts the efficiency. In fact, its better to warm you car up like that so long as you take it easy and don't immediately go hooning around.

Running an engine without a load is the fastest way to wear it down.

>what are oil slingers?
>what do you mean, i'm retarded?
read harder my dude

start stop is a fucking joke when it comes to long-run reliability. The engine constantly cooling down and heating up. Also it suddenly starts up and is immediately revving to move the car. I fucking hate it.

it's not bad for your engine. no worse than actually driving it.
the problem is you're putting ware on your engine without putting mileage on it.

usually because the engine is designed to run warmer and hotter than just sitting idle all the time. also you can glaze the cylinders and that prevents proper lubrication.
in general though its basically just putting undue wear on the motor without any load on it to justify that.

Start stop is proven to shorten engine lifespan. It's a meme to boost fuel economy ratings & make retards feel good about saving the earth.

Would it warm the engine faster if you put the e-brake on and leave it in drive? It seems to work for me and puts a bit of load on the engine.

>idling is bad
>revving past 2000rpm is bad
>turning on your car is bad
just take a bus

Low compression seen under low or no load engine running can result in ring groove wear as there's not enough pressure to hold the ring down as the Piston changes direction at the top and bottom of the stroke which makes it rattle and wear the groove resulting in lower compression and oil burning. This is the case on heavy diesels, I don't know if it applies so much to passenger cars.

I idle for hours at a time :/

>Muh Harmonics

So what am I supposed to do then? Turn it on and take off immediately while keeping the revs low? And what if I have a turbo car, I'm supposed to idle it before and after a drive, right?

Engine warmup was a thing when engines were carbureted, since there was no way to adjust adjust fuel mixture on the go. So you had to warm up the engine so you won't stall.

Cylinder walls are lubricated by the oil mist, which is generated inside the crankcase. When oil is thick, it needs more agitation in order to lubricate cylinder walls. So if you don't agitate your oil enough, you will have subpar lubrication until you warm up the engine. Best way is to get going as soon as you start the engine and keep revs at 1.5-2k as much as you can until engine is warmed up.

because it takes longer -> less time engine running in optimal conditions. that's why you should let it idle for 5-10 seconds to get it fully lubricated and then rev it hard to get it warm.

it's trash and pointless.

I always wonder why people are scared to rev higher than 2-2.5k rev in lower gears, yet drive on 4k revs in the highest gear when going fast on highways. Is there any legitimate reason?

because the engine revs past 4k too fast in lower gears and it scares them

Plus, with wind tyrenoise 4k revs isn't nearly as noticable as when driving slowly

>Modern engines with properly engineered systems like OHC are immune to this
Not if the oil is sludgy or sludge has built up.

>why do people say that idling an engine is bad for the car/engine??

In one sense, idling is extra mileage and its related wear on the car's engine and part of the transmission. But that mileage doesn't get recorded on the odometer. So if you buy a car, it's also good to find out if it was idled above average so that you can adjust your mind's own viewpoint on the accuracy of the odometer reading.

I work as a bus driver, and idling just waste gas.
manager never said it would damage the engine or anything like that.

I've heard that gas removes oil from cylinder walls due to not enough oil being slung about. Doesn't seem to be a problem in diesels as the diesel isn't as good of a solvent.