The Next Snapchat

Currently developing an app.

Only problem is, I'll be competing with Google for market share.
(Not Google Search)

Do I have any reason to be worried?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com.au/youtube-still-doesnt-make-google-any-money-2015-2
fortune.com/2016/10/18/youtube-profits-ceo-susan-wojcicki/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm fairly certain I have nothing to worry about.

Google has a terrible track record in apps/social media

Google+ (Facebook clone)
Google Buzz (Twitter clone)
Google Video (YouTube clone)
Google Wave

Not to mention their total of 82 discontinued products/services
(Out of a total of 550)

Lots of us feel indifferent or even angry at Google these days

>avoiding tens of billions in tax

>huge privacy concerns

>forcing Google+ on YouTube users even though we all hate it

>the massive "Fair Use" controversy

>selectively removing monetization from YouTubers (mostly right wing)

>the "YouTube Heroes" initiative

>censoring anything anti-Hillary Clinton from the autofill

No one feels loyal towards Google

So even if they did try to compete with me,
its unlikely people would choose Google over my app

If your product is better than googles there are three possible outcomes:
1. they buy your product
2. they copy your product
3. you succeed with your product (unlikely)

On the long-run Google wins. Do not forget their cash, if they can't buy your product they can ruin you.
Their track record is not terrible. They are still innovative as fuck and they learn from failures. Their discontinued products/services still have value. Patents. Maybe a code or a solved problem they use in other projects.

I've been researching the biggest companies in this space

>Google
>Facebook
>Twitter
>Yahoo
>Snapchat

They're all fighting to gain control over this market. (The one my app involves)
Yeah, ideally I sell it to one of them for at least $100 mil
(The only reason I want to do this is so I can retire early, I'm a lazy fuck)

>On the long-run Google wins. Do not forget their cash, if they can't buy your product they can ruin you.

Just like they ruined Facebook and Twitter? (G+ and Buzz respectively)

They tried to compete with YouTube, (Google Videos) then failed.
They bought YouTube, and a decade later it's barely generating a profit.

I'd be interested to hear any examples of Google coming out on top when faced with a serious competitor
(Apart from cases where Google was first to gain significant market share, Bing, for example)

>They're all fighting to gain control over this market.
Facebook will win. They just made Snapchat irrelevant because they implemented the same feature into Whatsapp. You're finished OP

Dude, how delusional are you?
This is bullshit. Google has almost a monopoly in the search market, no decline in YouTube us...
Look outside your filter bubble.

So you are not only competing against Google but also against Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo and Snapchat?
STOP WASTING YOUR TIME!

>Yeah, ideally I sell it to one of them for at least $100 mil
Ideally is you don't end up broke and homeless.

Nobody knows if YouTube is generating profit because Alphabet doesn't disclose how much money YouTube is making. But revenue increased and growth continues. I'm pretty sure they managed to make it profitable. But even if YouTube is not profitable, it has nothing to do with your app idea.

Google was not the first search engine!

Google cannibalizes its own products when buying competitors.

Take Wave for example:

That was really innovative shit back then. They designed a "federated architecture" to overcome issues of operational transformation and made it possible to communicate in real time. Today it's normal to see someone's typing when you're texting each other for example. As with the rise of Ajax google bought writely and merged all their wave-technologies with writely's and created google docs.
They're indeed very innovative.

what's your idea? don't be shy or afraid someone will steal it. facebook wasn't even new. others had nearly the same idea (myspace). or twitter: know imgur? if you abstract enough you recognize it has much in common with twitter (posting into a stream, you have a profile page and so on). must "ideas guys" think their ideas are so innovative noone should know because they would get copied nanana. that's bullshit.

>Facebook will win
Facebook doesn't start new apps, it acquires existing ones
Instagram, Whatsapp, MSQRD, etc

>They just made Snapchat irrelevant because they implemented the same feature into Whatsapp
My app isn't just a few new features glued onto a pre-existing business model
It's a complete structural change, that none of those companies can just add.

I'm not sure what features you mean, I can't see anything new in Whatsapp
I know that Snapchat Stories are now in Messenger and Instagram

Even though my Snapchat friends list is about 50 times smaller than on FB
Most people post frequent Snap Stories, but nobody I know uses it on Messenger.

>You're finished OP
Based on what? You don't even know the concept.

>Dude, how delusional are you?
Tell that to Uber
I can imagine dozens said "Bro you think you can beat taxis?! No waaay brah"

>Google has almost a monopoly in the search market, no decline in YouTube us...
Not relevant to my idea, I'm only mentioning it because
as a brand, many people don't feel a loyalty towards Google,
and many would prefer not to support them

>So you are not only competing against Google but also against Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo and Snapchat?
They're all fighting to get control in this market.
But the only company that has similar infrastructure to my app, is Google.

>Nobody knows if YouTube is generating profit because Alphabet doesn't disclose how much money YouTube is making.
"There's no timetable," she said, referring to a question on profitability. (YouTube ceo)

businessinsider.com.au/youtube-still-doesnt-make-google-any-money-2015-2
fortune.com/2016/10/18/youtube-profits-ceo-susan-wojcicki/

>Google was not the first search engine!
I know, I didn't properly explain what I meant.
I didn't mean that Google was the original search engine,
I meant that Bing tried to compete with Google without doing anything differently,
So Google didn't have to try to defeat them

>Google cannibalizes its own products when buying competitors.

Fair point, but you can't deny Google has a small success rate in the social media / apps market.

>what's your idea? don't be shy or afraid someone will steal it.
I'm not an idiot.

>facebook wasn't even new. others had nearly the same idea
True, but its the small structural changes and alterations that make an app/site succeed.

>must "ideas guys" think their ideas are so innovative noone should know because they would get copied nanana. that's bullshit.
Obviously my idea has similarities with other apps, but the innovation is something I'd like to keep to myself
Because after lots of research, there's nothing else like it on the market.

So what is you app, without your 'innovation'?

>Obviously my idea has similarities with other apps, but the innovation is something I'd like to keep to myself
Because after lots of research, there's nothing else like it on the market.

This can work or not. It depends on whether your idea "frees people from a suffer and/ or provides a pleasure".

Remember that whole nespresso shit. How did we drink coffee before people put overprized aluminiumcaps into a one-cup coffee machine?
We used to put a coffee filter into the machine, fill in water, put n spoons of coffee in it (n = number of cups we wanted to drink) and then waited a few minutes.

Compared with the old machines nespresso is less painful and more pleasurable:
less pain -> insert cap, insert cup, press button
more pleasure -> faster, different flavors, George Cloony lifestyle

if your idea fulfills those points it could be worth to work with it. It's often said here but I recommend you search for professional help. ;)
People from startup programs (not the incubators, you'd need something like an mvp/ prototype) or entrepreneur classes. It's important to get advice from people you can trust they want to help you.

Answering that would give away too much.
I can tell you, the innovation is a significant one.

>It depends on whether your idea "frees people from a suffer and/ or provides a pleasure".

Its hard for a phone app to reduce "suffering" or provide "pleasure"
(Unless we're talking about mobile games, or medical apps)

For apps, a better rule to go by is:
People are Lazy, Selfish and Vain

My app fulfils all 3 of those characteristics

Lazy - Automating several common tasks

Selfish - Allowing everyday people to make money easily

Vain - Enabling and simplifying internet fame (As with other apps)

How are we supposed to answer your question, if you don’t tell us what you’re working on...

Google is a huge company. You have the ability to move fast. So do that. Move fast, and always keep the exit in mind. WHat is your exit plan

>Selfish - Allowing everyday people to make money easily
And that's where you fail.

An app will never get popular based on the ability to make someone money.

lets agree to disagree

Dude, with every post you write you just reinforce my opinion that I'm writing with an idiot.
You underrate your competition and overrate your market. They just copy your innovation and you are done.
You can't even say what it is? A game? A photo app? A messenger?

Have you even started to code the app?
You are talking about making money. How? Ads? Who you are going to work with to ensure secure transactions?
Internet fame? Only a small percentage of people are looking for internet fame. Most of them are happy with Facebook and Instagram validation.

Meh, call me whatever you like, your opinion holds no weight

The point of this thread wasn't to discuss my app idea with you all.

I was merely wondering whether Veeky Forums agrees or disagrees with me about Google

I'm not underrating my competition.
The natural disadvantage large corporations have, is a lack of focus.

But you clearly didn't read my previous posts,
because I already said this isn't something than can just be copy pasted into their own apps
It would require them to completely rebuild their apps from the ground up.

It's not a game, photo app or messaging app.
Advertising. There will be transactions at some point in the future,
and idfk about secure transactions, that's such a minor worry idk why you even mentioned it

Only a small percentage of people are looking for internet fame?
No, most people would love to have it actually, they're just too lazy to put the effort in.
This app makes it easier to achieve in several ways.

>Meh, call me whatever you like, your opinion holds no weight
Okay. Let us focus on your opinion.

>The point of this thread wasn't to discuss my app idea with you all.
Okay.
>I was merely wondering whether Veeky Forums agrees or disagrees with me about Google
It seems like Veeky Forums disagrees with you but you are still defending your fantasy.
>I'm not underrating my competition.
Yes you do.
>The natural disadvantage large corporations have, is a lack of focus.
And here you are underrating Google big time. I thought you have done your research and you know how Google works.
>But you clearly didn't read my previous posts,
Okay.
>because I already said this isn't something than can just be copy pasted into their own apps
Are you sure? What makes you more intelligent than Googles code monkeys/engineeers?
>It would require them to completely rebuild their apps from the ground up.
Hard to believe.
>It's not a game, photo app or messaging app.
Okay.
>Advertising. There will be transactions at some point in the future,
A few posts above you shit on YouTube and how they do not make a profit. Twitter has a hard time earning money. Yahoo. Snapchat. But somehow you genius know how to earn some money with an app and ads?
>and idfk about secure transactions, that's such a minor worry idk why you even mentioned it
Huge mistake.
>Only a small percentage of people are looking for internet fame?
Yes.
>No, most people would love to have it actually, they're just too lazy to put the effort in.
No. Most people feel uncomfortable to be the center of attention! They love to receive some attention/validation by their friends and that's it.
>This app makes it easier to achieve in several ways.
Okay.

The vibe Im getting from your comments

>hurrrrrr durr, google is all powerful and all knowing
>there are absolutely no weaknesses in their impenetrable shield of awesomeness.
>you must be an idiot to question their ultimate power, they've never failed ever

Pointing out someones weakness isnt "underrating" them.

"Woah woah hold up red team"
"Just because theres a significant structural flaw in this Death Star, doesnt mean it has any weaknesses"
"I think we should just cower like pussies, cus obviously if we even consider its weakness, that means we're underrating it, and that would make us stoopid"

It's a demonstrable fact that Google, Facebook, Yahoo and Twitter each have a long history of failures and mismanagment. Especially when it comes to rushing out a product to compete with newly successful apps.
Ala Facebook (G+), Twitter, (Buzz)
YouTube, (G Videos), Snapchat (Poke)
I could go on.

Its not about one being smarter than the other. The structural flaw Im talking about isnt able to be changed.
Dont really care if you dont believe me, thats your choice.

And yes, ive figured out a much simpler way of generating profit compared to those apps.

In what way is internet fame being the centre of attention?
Most people would love to have hundreds of thousands of followers, because it means they can make thousands just for creating a sponsored post.

Pic related is Poke, Facebooks answer to Snapchat. They rushed it out to try and defeat Snapchat, but Im guessing youve never heard of it.

If it was so simple to just copy and paste features into pre-existing apps.

How come it took Facebook so long to pit their own versions of Snap Stories onto Messenger and Instagram?

How come all mighty Google wasnt able to crush Facebook, Twitter or YouTube

You're quite obviously overrating them because youre a salty motherfucker

(Which, as I said, isnt possible with mine because it would require a complete restructuring)

I'm sorry man but be realistic here for a second... if you had a company that had even the tinniest chance of being remotely competitive with Google in ANY of its business ares then everyone on this forum would have already heard of your product, you would have tens (or more likely hundreds) of millions of dollars in funding already raised, and you wouldn't be posting about it on Veeky Forums. From reading your first several posts it sounds like you don't understand a lot about how business works. If you have a better product than something Google does, they will not buy it from you. They'll just get one of their engineers to do a better job at it than you could do, and then crush you. They'll advertise the crap out of it and everyone will use their app while nobody uses yours. Just be realistic here.

The reason no one has heard of it, is because I havent started making the app yet... It doesn't even have a name.
I haven't attempted to get seed funding yet.

I love how you're deliberately ignoring all the examples of Google failing when trying to compete with smaller developers.

>If you have a better product than something Google does, they will not buy it from you.
>They'll just get one of their engineers to do a better job at it than you could do, and then crush you.
>They'll advertise the crap out of it and everyone will use their app while nobody uses yours.

Ok bro, tell that to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Snapchat, etc.
Tell that to the dozens of app acquisitions Google has made over the years.

You've made no dent in my drive to get this app made, you've just shown me what cowards sound like

>The reason no one has heard of it, is because I havent started making the app yet... It doesn't even have a name.

So this whole thing is just (bad) roleplay? What's the point of this thread existing?

Essentially yeah

Having competitors is good, it means there is a market for your product.

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAA

You know how I know this is going nowhere?

You keep referring to this "thing" as your idea, not your product.

actually most of the time ive referred to it as my app, therefore itll be a success?

I repeat myself, you are a delusional faggot. There is a reason I insult you, I'm stopping you from making mistakes.

>nobody is getting thousands for a sponsored post, except stars with MILLIONS of followers and an already established BRAND/NAME!
>all those Instagram whores with their detox tea and protein powder earn shit, far away from a four digit paycheck for their product placement

>there is a reason why all those copy-apps and services failed but it was still worth the try
>there is a reason they rushed in
>there is a reason why some of them still exist although not succesful

Simple question: What exactly is your market? Social media is bullshit because it involves countless niche markets.

You haven't started to make the app?
You have no name for the app? Your naive mind will be suprised how difficult it is to find the right name.
You have no product and you are already talking about seed funding?
You have no company registered.
You have no idea what problems and setbacks you'll face with your app without developing it.
You ignore all the peaople here telling you the truth and you are rationalizing it to fit your fantasy.
You have no plan how you are going to acquire market share fast to leave your competition behind.
You have no idea how cost-intensive it is to acquire market share.
You haven't even defined your target market, just the superordinate, broadly speaking "social media app market".

What the fuck do you want from us? Blowing sugar up your ass and say "Go get it dipshit. You the man!".

yeah pretty much

You're assuming that because Im not telling you these things, that I dont know them.
Im withholding information to protect the idea

Also, nice try. People can make thousands for sponsored posts with an audience as low as 15k followers.
Its obvious who's done more reading on this topic.