Best car/vehicle for long distance cross country trips?

Best car/vehicle for long distance cross country trips?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.caranddriver.com/hands-free-caddy-2018-cadillac-ct6-launches-super-cruise-semi-autonomous-feature/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Of course not a tiny hatchback

This, get a little miata and only take what you need, eat out the whole trip, just a few changes of clothes and necessities in trunk.

The last word in long distance comfort.

Proper sized SUV with a mattress in the back or a truck with a camper in the bed.

What if I want to stay in motels?

that would be a Rolls Royce Phantom with a chauffeur.

Pic very related, even a bottom trim sport mazda3 hatch is fucking amazing, you get a lot for your money.

amazing? like that paper-thin door with 0 insulation? or is it the under-powered engine that struggles to make any power at all?

>paper-thin door with 0 insulation?
Turn on the heater/ac
>under-powered engine that struggles to make any power at all?
No less powerful than base civics, corollas, or any other 4cyl engine. Besides, fuel economy is important if you don't want to waste money putting 1k+ miles on your car.

A70 is perfect for long trips

Then the same minus a mattress or camper. Or anything with a big engine and long gears.

I take my Mazda 3 hatch on road trips once every 3 months and it's great.

At LEAST mid size, youll get so cramped up youll hate the fucking trip.

My vote is full size van.

It depends on what you prefer. I easily get 40-45mpg in my Mazda3 on long drives, it has better steering feel of any small hatch other than a GTI, handles very well for what it is, I got a base model that has nothing that can malfunction, the driving position is good.

>like that paper-thin door with 0 insulation?

There is road noise on the highway. The current refreshed models have better sound deadening than the earlier version of this generation. Try it out. This wasn't a priority for me.

>the under-powered engine that struggles to make any power at all?

I think it's more the long-legged transmission than the engine itself. On the other hand, it's literally a marketed as an economy car. If I had another $7,000 to spend, I would get a GTI. Otherwise, the Mazda3 gives me everything I was looking for. I suppose an alternative would be a used GTI but I wasn't confident about their reliability. As for new cars, the base model Golf is decent as is the Civic but I liked the Mazda more.

Unless you're sleeping in your car, why would the size of the interior matter?

Cadillac CT6 or whatever the top full size lexus is.
The sound insulation on the lexus was incredible, but the CT6 has super cruise. Both were maximum comfy, better than the Germans, Lincoln and Acura/Infiniti.

For efficiency, the Toyota Prius. For comfort, the Cadillac CT6 with SuperCruise.

>Super cruise
>Super Cruise works only on divided highways that have no intersections, and it cannot perform sophisticated maneuvers such as changing lanes. It will not work above 85 mph or in a snowstorm, and it can behave like a peeved parent. If you start horsing around behind the wheel—turning away too much to interact with your passenger or watch a movie—it will stop the car.
blog.caranddriver.com/hands-free-caddy-2018-cadillac-ct6-launches-super-cruise-semi-autonomous-feature/

rx8

bring around 70 spare apex seals

It doesn't really, but long distance it's nice to be able to stretch your legs out a bit.

If always found they have terrible lumbar support and horrendous road noise

Depends on your budget. An S Class is always the top dog for comfort and eating up those highway miles like it's nothing. If you want range get a diesel
If gas is less of a worry but you don't want to spend $50k+ on a car, you can get an LS430 for like $10k

Lexus LS
Acura MDX
BMW X5 and X6
Camry V6 / Avalon / ES350
Any midsize and up Volvo from last 20 years
Toyota Venza or highlander
Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna

Here is the deal. Whatever it is, it has to be comfy, but not too floaty like a ford panther or Cadillac garbage. Don’t think you want to give up road feel and compliant suspension. You just want a sophisticated and compliant suspension. You also want heated and cooled seats. You want to minimize swamp ass and vinegar balls. Cuts down on fatigue. You want something that can handle emergency maneuvers on the highway well. So that removes most of the big SUVs like Tahoes and sequoias. Wagons are nice, but you don’t want your contents on display at every rest stop or hotel. You also want something with a full size spare. Really the Lexus LS or Acura MDX are the best choices imo. SH-AWD is a terrific thing to have on changing road conditions.

Replace the V6 Camry with a Lexus ES, same car mechanically but with a much more comfy interior

*blows head gasket* heh

I have a V6 camry and it's floaty as fuck. Feels like a boat.

Bring polarized sun glasses for the love of God, yes even in the winter
And not that cheap dollar store shit either

>but not too floaty like a ford panther
Fuck off dude, a town car will always be a top tier long distance car on trips. Fuck your road noise, fuck your road feel, I want that smooth cloud feel so my passenger can sleep for when he/she needs to drive.
Lol wtf are you smoking. New camrys are barely a step up from my 7 year old corolla.

Panthers are hot shit dude, you can easily get an LS400 that's been treated better than a Panther for the same price

>treated better
Than a crown vic or p71, sure. But there are plenty of town cars treated like royal garage cars with low mileage that cost next to nothing. 5-7k for what WA a 50k car new in early 2000s with only 50-100k miles of smooth, easy driving.

Town cars are used as airport limos, basically glorified taxis and are treated just as shit

A70 owner reporting in. Exploding 30 year old components aside, it's a fantastic GT car.

something like a ford transit or gmc savana turned into camper

I'd vote minivan, at least for one person it's still more than enough space and the driving experience is much better. The road noise and general poor ride quality of a full size van (at least the '95 E-150 I used to have) gets maddening pretty quickly.

You don't need a "big engine" for going 100kmh

Who the fuck goes 100kmh? The right lane is moving at 130 on a good day, Convoy's cruise at 150+ if some faggot in a wrangler isn't blocking traffic. The 4000rpm buzz from a tiny engine gets taxing after a couple hours. Passing power is also nice.

I can get 45MPG with my Focus moderating my speed. It's pretty great to be able to travel far for cheap.

130-140kmh is optimal long distance speed for me, but on most of the interstate I'll gladly pop up to 150 to make sure traffic is flowing.

I get 30mpg at 100mph with headwind. It's like a less than $5 difference over a long ass trip going the speed limit vs speeding. Hypermiling is retarded when gas is cheap.

No you don't

VW atlas

That's not even difficult to do, just keep your rpms low in a decent mileage car and you're good to go.

It's a 1.8l engine moving 2600lbs with stupid high and long gears. I'm at around 3500rpm at those speeds. Do the math. That's not even impressive... Corvettes get better than that and they have 3x the displacement and 6x the power.

30mpg isn't impressive Cletus.

I never said it was but in North America it is Nigel. That's also at 100mph while that hypermiling dickhead is getting 45mpg at less than the speed limit.

Long gears yes but big engine is shit because fuel economy is an imporant factor on long trips.

>You want something that can handle emergency maneuvers on the highway well.

the absolute fucking state of American highways lmao

>Wagons are nice, but you don’t want your contents on display at every rest stop or hotel

are you actually retarded?

>fuck your road feel

Wow yeah let's fucking drive a car that you actually have to steer with your eyes instead of hand feel all the time. That is more (((((luxurious)))))

fucking retard eat shit

Not at 100mph