Hey Veeky Forums, so this guy has a pretty nice car but it has a salvag e title...

Hey Veeky Forums, so this guy has a pretty nice car but it has a salvag e title, he claims that it is from the vehicle being involved in insurance fraud and there is zero wrong with the vehicle mechanically or otherwise, what kind of paperwork would I need or what else do I need to prove he is telling the truth and there is nothing else wrong with the car?

Check the vehicle out and look for repairs that shouldn't be there.
Regardless of how or why it has a salvage title, it does lower the value of the car.

Buy a car without a questionable past. I doubt it's that rare.

Don’t buy it. It’s going to be a fucking headache. The laws vary from state to state as do the insurance companies willingness to even accommodate such vehicles. I can promise you the ordeal will be a fucking headache from start to finish.

Do

Not

Buy

Salvage

You can get some incredible deals on salvage vehicles

someone explain salvage titles to me and why they're so frowned upon or not wanted.

t. aussie

You can get an incredible deal on a gun and some cheap ammo and kill yourself with it

Because people are shit and don't fix things right, shops are shit and don't fix things right and take your money and usually you're buying someones disguised headachey shit and it's usually going to cost more than just buying a clean title one would have costed anyway

Salvage title shows that the insurance company wrote the vehicle off as a total loss at some point this could be because of small damage large damage or legal damage and does not necessarily know that the vehicle is really bad though that may be the case a lot of the time

Audible chuckle.

For reference, someone I know has a 2010 Nissan Morono and a fucking twig fell on the roof of the car and dented it about 1/8th of an inch.

Otherwise flawless car.

So his full coverage insurance was going to pay for the repairs, because the sunroof could not open due to the dent being in the way. BUT, the shop he took it to said it was an "illegal, aftermarket sunroof" that was installed, and not a factory sunroof, and since whatever company installed the sunroof cut through the roof supports to do so, they would have to put a whole new top on the car and it was going to cost more than the value of the car to do that work. Note when I say roof supports I don't mean structural supports, I mean the little brace that prevents the top from denting when you look at it wrong.

Because of this, the car is now a "total loss" (totalled) and has been salvaged. They would rather pay him $10,000 USD to not fix this car, than risk paying someone to fix it. Now, he can take $2,000 of that money and repurchase the car from the insurance company who just bought it from him for the $10k, because they don't want to fuck with it, or it can go to auction and some fuck with a used car dealership can buy it for like $1000 dollars and spend 10 minutes popping out that dent, and then sell it on their used car lot as a used car for $7,000 claiming it has " zero wrong with the vehicle mechanically or otherwise"

the roof is a critical structure of the collasping crash-zones and ability of the car to withstand rollovers.

So your friend not only has a shitty fucking Murano (Moron-o is likely a better term though), they have a shitty fucking Murano that will likely collapse upon itself in an accident.

and it's likely going to be sold at a dealership similar to OP with a similar story to what they told him.

spend the money on a carfax report. it will tell you the reason.

Go down to your county courthouse, get friendly with the old lady behind the counter, and see if she'll help you.

Knowing the people at your county courthouse can get you a long way if you know how to make nice with them.

People get them so they're just barely rolling for minimum money so they can sell them. Often they look fine but there are major problems.

Take it to a dealership for a full inspection

Why does everyone selling a salvage vehicle always insist it was "minor damage" or "just a fender bender bro don't worry about it". That should tell you something right there. Nobody selling a salvage vehicle ever says "ooh yeah man it was totally fucked up you'd never believe it but the shop fixed it up pretty good"

Maybe some people are just honest? Ops case could be legitimate that shut just happens and if they have the paperwork to back it up after an inspection and they do not mind fucked resale value then they could get a hell of a deal on a car

>Maybe some people are just honest?

you do realize that there's a reason the insurance company was willing to get rid of the entire vehicle instead of fixing it, right?

Lol, it doesn't even say my car (which i salvaged and daily) is a salvage title. It just acknowledges that the title changed hands

I usually show my buyers pictures of the damage to the car and it puts them at ease. I also explain that i make more money parting out certain cars. I usually get my cars cleaned up very well and they usually go for 70% of BB value

>You can get some incredible deals on salvage vehicles
You definitely can, but I would only buy a salvaged title just to fuck around on the weekends with, which is exactly what I did. I bought a salvaged 07 RX8 back in 2011 for $1500. I rode the ever living shit out of it and had a blast, I ended up selling it for around $1600 a few years later.

That does not change the factime some salvages are awesome deals

I got an 08 650i sport with 70k miles for 10k and the car was in near perfect shape

Though it was a rebuilt title not a salvage title, which means little I suppose

>buying a 2008 BMW with 70k

That was a couple years ago... it has about 118 or 120k on it now with zero issues so far aside from regular maintenance so do not insult hank hill like that

Don't do it. Last Craigslist car I bought had a salvage title as well. He said it was stolen so they gave it salvage title. Shit was a piece of crap, later on I had to do engine work and noticed the engine was from the junk yard.

Don't risk it, be patient and keep looking.

>ayo sup mami know where i can get a clean miata? ;))

And if he does it after an inspection gives the all clear? The people who buy salvage/rebuilt and regret it are idiots you need to know what you are getting your hands on

Salvaged means totaled by the insurance.
Rebuilt means it's been to the BAR (bureau of automotive repair) and they certified that it's been repaired.

Now, you can title wash cars so they're no longer salvaged, you can have a buddy that works for bar sign it off for a 6 pack, you can have a completely ruined car have the roof glued back on and it was never reported to carfax or insurance.

Basically you can have all kinds of fuckery and without gettings hands on, under the skin, you'll never know.

Take it to a trusted mechanic and body shop and have them look it over for signs of repair, and things that might fail in your ownership. A good mechanic will see the bolts going to something major and can tell if it's been fucked with. A good body man can look at the paint blends and panel gaps/lines of a car for a few seconds and see it's been in an accident.

OP seems pretty persistent on buying that salvaged title car

>buy a salvage 94 GT with rebuilt title
>literally no problems with it
>have had an accident and had a deer hit me in it
>only burns 1qt oil a month
Best $2000 ever spent

yeah it's still risky. could have easily been the worst 2k you've ever spent.

As someone said, getting insurance at all is a challenge, and even if you do find an insurance company that will underwrite you, it'll be for liability only.

Just don't do it. It's not worth the fucking headaches.

Why even take the risk, there are plenty of clean title cars. If this guy has to come to an anonymous imageboard for advice on salvage title cars, he's not the type to do a thorough inspection beforehand.

>it has a salvage title

Unless your salvage title is changed to a rebuilt title, my insurance company doesn't want to cover it. So before you buy, check with your insurance company to be sure you can insure it and that the policy price is good. Otherwise, it would really suck if you bought it and found out there was concealed damage preventing it from getting a rebuilt title.

In these times I find it stupid that cars aren't sold for parts instead of destroyed.
gubment could even earn a buck or two by running it instead of wasting money with no $$$ earned because of destruction.

>Governments
>Being good with money

I know, silly of me.

Buy a salvage vehicle for parts

BUT a rebuilt title is a bit safer if you want a deal on a daily driver

I'd still only get a salvaged or rebuilt was a weekend fun car. To me the risks are just not worth it for a daily.

yeah, because no one wants a risky piece of shit that was supposed to be scrapped.

>gubment could even earn a buck or two
Employees are people. That means crooked corrupt people want positions where they can make a lot of money on the side by using their government powers. So those cars would make less money than expected for the goverment because of corruption. The employees will try to steer the profit into the hands of private investors instead of the government.

If it was properly rebuilt. The problem is there are greedy people out there that don't care about proper rebuilding. They only seek out salvage titles they can do minimal work on and then flip. Flippers exist in all kinds of markets now due to mass communications making it easy for con-men and scammers to do their flipping sales talk to a wider audience cheaply.

>he claims that it is from the vehicle being involved in insurance fraud
How did he have this car? Assuming he is the owner, then he was the one that committed the insurance fraud? Can you trust someone that commits fraud to tell you the truth when money is on the line?

>what kind of paperwork would I need or what else do I need to prove he is telling the truth
CarFax is one source. You need to check the odometer mileage anyways to show consistency in the data.

where can i find salvage cars in germany? it seems here are only new or used cars.

that's not a salvage title

ask your car towing shop?
they tow lots of cars that eventually get scrapped, so they are the primary source of salvaged cars.