Thinking about buying an older, manual, v6 mustang for under $2000 with the intent of working on it... roast me

thinking about buying an older, manual, v6 mustang for under $2000 with the intent of working on it... roast me

>V6

Why? Serious question because everytime this is asked the answer is always mildly amusing.

Save up more money and be ready to jump on a deal for a GT. You're buying a fucking Mustang, not a Miata, not a 240SZ, not a 3 series, a Mustang. Buy the damn v8.

OP you better fucking coyote swap it or at least put some kind of V8 in it.

Aight go for it. But remember that with a V6 it doesn't have power but it also doesn't steer so it's gonna be a boring car.

>DUDE SWAP IT LMAO

You can get a GT with the 302 for that much.

Just hold out for it.

If he wants a V8 he should go for a Camaro or a Challenger.

Eh, that's *REALLY* rare, but 2800-3500 is pretty common for a 94-99 GT.

F bodies of those years seem to command more money, and a v8 Challenger is many thousands out of his budget. Even a v6 challenger is. The modular isn't an *amazing* motor but it has some room to grow.

>Challenger.
You're not going to find a running Challenger for 2 grand.

Seriously consider your state of mind if that's what actually intended to suggest.

It does happen and if he's looking on to work on it, he could probably cop one that's not running that well.

An old pushrod V6 with no turbo that doesn't want to rev and pre-crash Ford quality? Have fun.

i don't feel the need for v8 power, the v6 is generally cheaper than anything listed where i live and usually less beat on. and if i do get bored of it there's always this option but I've been driving a corolla all my life so i feel like the 6 would be fine for me for a good run. i am more interested in upgrading the handling aspects of it first

Have you ever replaced headgaskets? That's the first thing i'd do if I bought a 90s V6 Mustang.

obligatory buy a mark 7 post

wtf forgot my image

Who else but soviet?

the mark 7 is objectively better than a shitty sn95 v6 and can be found for the same price

Do yourself a fucking favor OP and don't get the V6 you will never be taken seriously on this board in the car community or by anyone who knows anything about cars beyond "press the gas pedal and it goes"
>t. 2001 V6 owner who is always told "shudda hadda VEE-ATE FAGGOT" when talking about it anywhere

nope, and this may sound naive (in fact I know it does) but there's a first time for everything

yeah, don't really give a fuck if people don't take it seriously. its not like i plan on putting cobra badges on it trying to pass it off as something its not. if i'm not happy with it I only have myself to blame

Seriously just save up a bit more and buy a V8 user

I'll consider it. I haven't looked at anything in person yet but everything with v6 seems to be in so much better condition with lower miles than the v8. Obviously if I can find a decent v8 that's not too far out of my price range I would buy it. I do plan on having to do some repairs though and want to have money left over for that in the beginning.

Not OP, but I thought about buying a cheap V6 manual Mustang and supercharging it, gutting the interior and upgrading the suspension. Just for fun.

Fuck it, go for it user. If I was able to buy Foxbodys in my country I would already have one.

bruh, you can get a great v8 car for 3k, no fucking joke. user the v6 is not only Unreliable, it has no power, and handles significantly worse than the GT. I IMPLORE you to drop the contrarian edge and get the V8 or you will be REALLY sorry.
like seriously, get the V8. has a point, its a MUSTANG. the v6 exists for girls and, girls.
Engine Swapping is not always an option either, its hard, infuriating work.

J U S T G E T T H E V 8

get a cheap GT for a thousand more and get triple the power, at least

That's because we're fucking correct.

If you're hell bent on a v6, aim for 1500 or under. About the only work I'd do on on of those is anything related to handling. For what it takes to increase power, you could get a v8, 5.slow Fox, or a SN95 GT.

If you want a reliable v6, go with a New Edge (99-04). They fixed the head gasket reliability issue from before, and it has better hp. You can beat on the v6 all day and it'll keep on running.

Seriously though, the Cologne V6's they used were absolutely terrible engines. Disappointing, horrible sounding pieces of shit in every regard. I'm still amazed at how long they kept those things in service, it was basically 2011 when they retired them for the Cyclone.

If you get a '94-'98 you can swap the later split port heads and intake manifold for a 40hp gain. Also, an h or x-pipe into true duals is another good mod for these and especially the '05+ V6.

Weird way to say Mark 8

Just get a new edge v6

Reliable and easy to work on when something breaks.

Gt fags can keep your beat to hell windsors and pos 4.6s

But it would weigh more. Besides, I was just thinking about building something somewhat unique. I'm not actually going to do it though. I have other projects that require my time.

>muh special snowflake status
>muh 100lb weight savings for far less power

Do it. Everyone fucking hates it so that makes it cheap. At the end of the day its a rwd fr layout. Enjoy.

You’ll hate it.

It’s like driving a similar year ford ranger but without the utility of a truck bed.

Slow
Ugly
Loud
Uncomfortable
Everyone will make fun of you.

>hurr FR is all that's required to be a good car
Here's your ideal performance enthusiast vehicle you fucking pleb.

How hard is it to do a coyote swap on an 90's mustang?

For 2000 bucks why not, It's something to do, as long as you don't try and dumb a ton of money into it. If nothing else you get the skills and experience and sell the car for parts.

If you like the car what other ppl say doesn't matter, just go ahead an be happy

V6 a shit. You can find a V8 Manual Mustang in decent mechanical condition for 2 grand and it would be worth working on it. The V6 has shit power and shit reliability. You'll not only get a bit more power out the get go with a V8, but the potential to have much more power. The 4.6 is a bulletproof engine with plenty of aftermarket. With the GT you get the 8.8 LSD, while the V6 Mustangs are the 7.5 open diff (at least I'm pretty certain the 7.5 is open)

More trouble than its worth. Modular motors take boost very well. You can supercharge a 2v 4.6 for less money and make more power than youd get with a coyote swap.

The v6 is reliable but lethargic as fuck. Not torquey at all.

American traffic laws take the fun out of driving anyways.

Mark viii. Yeah they're land-yachts, but pack essentially same 4.6L vee eight, lower insurance, comfy interior, and quite pleasant ride. Most are on springs at this point as the factory air suspension is very expensive to replace.
T. Bought this 6 years ago for $2k. It just hit 150k mi.

>he likes the mark 8 for any reason other than the engine

please don't ricify it.