I'm looking to turbo my chevy 305 in the spring and was wondering what size turbo i should go with...

I'm looking to turbo my chevy 305 in the spring and was wondering what size turbo i should go with. I only plan on pushing 8-10 psi and want it to spool good, should i go with a medium sized turbo?

Other urls found in this thread:

turbos.bwauto.com/aftermarket/matchbot.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>turbo 305

Waste of time, money, and effort. Try again after you do the 350 swap.

A turbo 305 would easily make 400hp, which is about what a built 350 would make. I don't see why I should throw away a good running engine like that

Plus pretty much everything should bolt right on to a 350 if you blow up the 305.

That I wasn't considering but it depends on whether you beleive in the $1500 400whp 350 swap and what it's gonna cost to turbo the 305

>thousands on a turbo set up to run slower than thousands on a 350 with intake/cam/exhaust

>thousands

I bet op can get it done for 500

In one afternoon, perhaps?

For a single you shouldn't go very big. Most non dyno queen turbo cars use smaller turbos and wastegate the hell out of them.

putting a turbo on wouldn't cost thousands unless he bought all name brand bullshit

Serious question
I never understood old engines, how does one tune a turbo 305/350 or Ford 5.0?
What I mean is, with japanese cars you can tune the ECU but with these old motors what do people do if there is no ECU (AFAIK) to adjust timing/air fuel ratio etc

There are AFR gauges, as for timing I'm not sure.

Timing is set by turning the distributor, a/f ratio is controlled mainly by the carburetor's jet size

They're mostly carbed so consult your local witch doctor or alternative black magic practitioner.

Or you use megasquirt like anyone else who knows what they're doing

>305

Carbs are fine. Mechanical fuel injection though, that's truly one of the lost dark arts.

There isn't much of a point in putting a turbo on a small block Chevy with stock heads and cam.

If you have your heart set on it, I would try picking up an old Martin drawthrough turbo kit off ebay. They pop up every once in a while, and come with an appropriate turbo and most of the plumbing. Also the carburetor setup in drawthrough systems is simpler for beginners.

>Carbs are fine
t. witchdoctor

are u going efi or carb?

carb. i have an Edelbrock 1405 that i plan on converting to blow through

Little V8s love superchargers, m8. You've got the torque to burn.

or you could just go and do it properly and go efi

>tune with computers and dynos and shit/spend thousands for some other autist to do it
Vs
>one small flat screwdriver

why would i do that when i could make a few changes to the carb and have it be much easier to work with

T. I've never turbocharged a car before

T. never saved money before

>save money by putting a used turbocharger and an chinabay wastegate and blowoff valve on a car so you can replace them next year

>using a bov
only if you're a pussy

t. boomer

t. low test millennial

t. 26 year old who faps every day

get thiccc cunt

t. literal retard working a dead end job with no prospects in life and no friends

Carbs can be built to adjust for positive pressure like EFI.

Before EFI tunes were common, you would just use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail that would raise fuel pressure when it saw boost.

Same kind of idea in the carbs.

as for @op

you need 10psi and 500cfm from your turbo to hit 400hp at reasonably conservative assumptions.

HX40 off a cummins will get you your power without choking the engine.

you say that like everyone here isnt like that as well

teeeheeee umad

kys summerfaggot

>turbo
you don't. you do a pull through blower set up and save fuck tons of money.

ive been here since 2007 u faggot go fucking off yourself

blowers are twice as expensive as turbos and pull through a shit

i agree with user here

op would be better with a smallish turbo running 10psi and some headwork

GT3076R?

>pull through a shit
have fun getting that carb to hold 10 psi of postive pressure.

nah that shit will be fine to 20

are you tig welding it or something?

Too small. But OK if you do twin turbo set up.

don't have to. just gotta seal the choke and throttle shafts and a few other spots

Find a set of 350 vortec heads in junkyard should lower compression around 8.0:1. Stock compression is 8.6 with 56cc head vortec head is 65cc. Get a holset hx40 run 15 psi or so in it. Don't shift over 5000 rpms.

unfortunately 350 vortecs don't fit a 305. too big. I'd rather stick to under 10psi. should have good results with a cam and ported heads

turbos.bwauto.com/aftermarket/matchbot.aspx

Bruh slap on some vortec heads and a weiand 142/144 supercharger. Hell yea nigga

I agree with previous dudes the 305 is dogshit I had one in my 84 firebird id spend the money your planning on boost instead to get a good 350. U can modularly build it up over time and it'll be way better than any 305.

But I'm sure you have your reasons op no hate here, what car do u have?

same exact car, 84 firebird. i know the 305 is dogshit without boost, but with boost it'll be as fast as any na 350

Yea but the problem is then u get some cuck like me with a build 350 running boost and your back to square uno.

Hows that gonna work out by the way with an electronic controlled carb and spark timing coming stock in that car? All kinds of extraneous 80s wiring and shit even worse if u got crossfire injection ignition. Or I bet you probably already swapped that shit all out for likes MSD Hei dizzy to go with your edelbrock huh? Miss my fucking firebird it was dark blue with t tops

>Yea but the problem is then u get some cuck like me with a build 350 running boost and your back to square uno.
That's tru but my goal for the car is 400-450hp so this should work out. I got a msd dizzy and there's no ecu tied in or anything it's a pretty bare bones setup. Love this fucking car got it a few months ago been dying for one for a long time

can't even adjust a carb

how do you keep the float bowl from spraying fuel everywhere? every push through set up i've seen just has a pressure box around the entire carb.

by filling the bowls with foam

huh.

Smith?

It's agent smith

>my goal for the car is 400-450hp

Which can be cheaper and more easily hit with an NA 350, and you won't be at the top end of what the motor can do and you'll have plenty of ability to boost it to high heaven and still not hit the ceiling

Lmao is it really u dude

Draw through sucks go blow through or fuel injection. You can buy boost referenced carbs from quick fuel or holley.

This is the guy that makes all the posts on the chevy forums. Please go

What?