/arena/ - Arena FPS General

Cereal Edition

A place to discuss all of your favorite oldschool and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Play Quakeworld for free: nquake.com/
Play Quake 2 for free: q2s.tastyspleen.net/
Play Unreal Tournament 4 for free: epicgames.com/unrealtournament/
Play Warsow for free: warsow.net/
CPMA DEZ Installer (comes with maps and doesn't require base Quake 3, make sure to save configs as my.cfg and not autoexec.cfg): drive.google.com/open?id=0B0wfFzzjvCheTVVzSmdnQ1BLUms
Xonotic: xonotic.org/
Link to Quake 2 Starter with Quake 2 and its expansions: mega.nz/#!EAxAlSwa!9v0PQ7QgN60mXDptMqWXvdAC2srSCnb7pGPqZojG2QI
sourceforge.net/projects/voretournament/

Quake Champions closed beta signup: quake.bethesda.net/en/signup
QC beta is now 24/7. The beta is no longer under NDA.
UT4 Patch Notes:youtube.com/watch?v=rNE1XN6E1Cc
Quake Champions interview with Zero4 and Tim Willits: twitch dot tv/videos/144807974
twitch dot tv/videos/144852481

Duel Tutorials and Tips:
youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
youtube.com/watch?v=f8CP1oSy_-o
youtube.com/watch?v=QRe3g65S4Zs&list=PLgbx1wWCtM2DYy26yCLbtY6A0XRiSEM3u&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=n2tdDZWSGy4
youtube.com/watch?v=dkED2PSrl1c

Slipgate to the previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wbBcSp8bp0A
youtube.com/watch?v=aCxX7_s-7D4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
youtube.com/watch?v=NqCKGFxLhdc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

we let it die again

good work boys

Fuq

>ranger eating cheerios off of slash's ass
I need an explanation

esdf movement seems potentially patrician, never really considered it before it allows for a couple extra nearby keybindings

Why is she so cute bros?

>get killed
>leave game

can you stop?
i'd rather not play a 3v4

what's wrong with ca as a mode

quitters need to be culled

its boring, unoriginal, overplayed, and generally devolves into spam rather than teamplay

there's no leave penalty YET
it's still beta

one reason people dislike it is because the removal of map-based pickups takes away a lot of strategy. There's no risk-taking to acquire stack. also no self damage means anyone can rocket jump around like an idiot and there's no risk/reward there either. personally I love ca though, and area control is still vitally important. the team playing better together will usually win but there is a ton of spam because everyone has so much ammo. some spam is sorta skill based, like when you shoot a couple rockets at a doorway because you have a feeling an opponent might walk through it soon. but with CA on a map like Hidden Fortress literally up to 100% of the round can be taken up by people standing almost perfectly still, firing rockets blindly into the hallways.
It's a lazy man's tdm in some ways, but i love one life per round and getting to spectate others, many would call that boring though. People who don't enjoy it get understandably butthurt that it's popular, probably wishing modes like ctf/tdm were the most popular instead.

Question to people that using M2 to jump.
Doesn't it disturb your aim?

>m2 disturbing your aim
>using anything else to jump
wtf

Your mouse is too light if clicking it disturbs your aim, otherwise actually shooting would disturb your aim as well.

I'm not using it just yet, it just seems kinda silly to me. Same for moving forward with M2.

I'm playing quake for like a week maybe.

just like awping in csgo works better if you fire with spacebar jumping with m2(right hand) works better while your left does the directional inputs for better timings

i wish that the afps genre wasn't so dead tbqh

I'm just hoping QC won't be dead on arrival, I wanna curbstomp millennial poserfags.

Don't fall for the M2 jump memers just do whatever's comfortable. I switch between the two in defrag and it's purely personal preference.

ded

is it really needed with a decent mouse though? i used to play esdf in q3 when i had a shittier mouse but now i have a g400s and use:

mwheelup lg
mwheeldown rg
mouse3 gauntlet
mouse4 rail
mouse5 tribolt thing

that only leaves 3 guns, which you can easily bind around wasd, i use q-shotgun e-machine gun and r-nailgun

I'm using

SF strafe
RMB forward S backward
A jump
Z crouch
LShift walk
G ability
QWERXCV weapons

rate

spacebar for zoom obviously

>S backward
D*
never drunkposting ever again

>but i love one life per round and getting to spectate others

get the fuck out and never come back, there's already a popular game for faggots just like you

What is the most effective setup? Is it what works best or is there a specific way that is the most efficient?

I use default aside from a few weapon binds

Post ur qlstats page if ur so great

Whatever allows you to instantly hit the keys you need without fucking up your ability to move.

this

ded

>not playing cpma

best girl when

never

Bone fucking when? He can laugh and rattle like Spinal
m.youtube.com/watch?v=wbBcSp8bp0A

YES PLEASE

How can ID say no to such a hunk as bones?

queue up nerds

RATTLE ME BOOOOOOONES

What game?

Spin the wheel

Tbh I think it's a fine entry into the game. I learned a lot in my newb days by spectating after I died. And nowadays I prefer duel, but CA is fine if i just want to casually shoot around. I can shoot the shit and when I die I can take a breather, grab a drink, take a piss, alt tab to my second monitor and shitpost on discord, etc. TDM, on the other hand, lasts too long and is just mind numbingly boring 100% of the time on public servers. And it requires my attention all the time. Fuck that.

>tfw full speed double gauntlet first blood

Feels incredible.
Actually I've noticed that I barely even use dual wield anymore, mostly for gauntlet in close combat.

There's no point in using dual wield if you're playing the distance.
It only good on mid and close range guns like lightning or machinegun.

Dual machinegun was heavily nerfed though.

huh?
what happened?

I'm a total noob when it comes to arena shooters. Was thinking of starting with UT4. Is that a good idea?

Come to Quake Champions and play with me.

t. total noob

Yes. It has loads of noobs. Play whatever you like best, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=aCxX7_s-7D4

Queuing up for ffa is so fucking stupid.

>join queue
>wait five minutes
>check if there's a populated ql server
>join that instead

And then when the map ends we just vote for another one instead of queuing up who god knows how long again.

>Slow firing weapons (RL, RG, SG, TB) now at 1.5x
>Reduced rate of fire to 1.25x for high rate of fire weapons (Gauntlet, Machinegun, Nailgun, Heavy Machinegun, Super Nailgun, and Lightning Gun)

Now we need a Ranger frag video with 'Thru the Walls' playing in the background

>open QC
>wait 3 minutes
>search for a game
>wait 2 minutes
>game found
>wait 1 minute for the game to start
>play for 10 minutes
>game ends
>wait for 1 minute
>search for a game
>wait for 2 minutes
>close QC

>game found
>wait 30 seconds
>load in
>wait a minute
>wait 30 seconds
>play the game
>game ends
>wait 30 seconds
>wait for the map to cycle or more realistically for everyone to quit and re-queue before it does

I honestly don't even know if the map cycles or not.

Spoiled fucking babby.

yeah spoiled by well coded games, like, uhm, every single quake game before? you stupid fucking nigger

Fuck off underage, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Yeah I really loved waiting for matchmaking to let me join a game in quake 3.

I was gonna ask if they fixed stutters/netcode/q but reading this thread I already know the answer. Well, QL is still fun so whatever

Point and laugh at this little nigglet

except he does, in any other quake save for 4 maybe you launch, open server browser and join
now you have to wait to find people in queue, wait for a server, wait for chucklefucks to click ready, wait for map vote, and then have a warmup

I'd like to get into arena fps. Which game has the bigger playerbase?

Try the free ones listed in the OP

Newfags don't even see the difference between Q3 steam servers and new game that is in CBT stage with no playerbase.

Even in Dota 2 the queue times were abysmal for everyone at the beginning of the open beta and are still extreme for everyone with high mmr - the reason why all high mmr players just make smurf accounts to play in mid-range mmr ranked without waiting for 30-60+ minutes.

The fact that you morons complain about ~5 minutes queue in CBT QC is just laughable and shows how spoiled you are fucking underage retards. Generation Z trash.

my generation never waited in queues
enjoy your doa piece of shit game retard

I bind jump to m2 and space in all the quakes though
Just like i bind jump to mwheelup, mwheeldown, and space in all the counterstrikes

I'm 27 you double nigger. The last thing I want to do after a long day of work is sit idly for 10+ minutes waiting for ONE match that may even end up as a 2v4 - I could launch something else like Immortal Redneck, Serious Sam, D44m or any other previous Quake and frag away until my eyes bleed instead of waiting in silence alt tabbing to watch youtube as my interest in the game slowly wanes and I inevitably close it out of frustration. The queue times are abysmal, unforgivable and inexplicable. Without a server browser QC will be doa.

You're right senpai, but you might want to chill just a tad bit

>my generation never waited in queues

Sure thing you Overshit underage babby with zero understanding of how match making works with no playerbase.

Dota 2 is superior in every way than dead /arena/ trash with no tournaments and any relevant players, just be glad that QC is reviving a stinky Quake corpse and lick devs' boots for doing that.

How are you so terribly retarded for 27 then? I bet you still live with your fat whore mother.
If you have to wait for 10+ minutes to find a single match then you also live in a 3rd world shithole so it basically suits you subhuman mongoloid lifestyle. I don't see a problem here.

Kids need to be educated.

oh, you're just a dotafag
nvm, is this way

You're the biggest fucking idiot I've ever encountered on this shit board.

A reminder Joe Rogan payed 10k a month to play Q1 with zero ping

im now 99% sure you-re just trolling.

>overshit
>dota2

my little idiot friend, like i said, my generation didnt play games with matchmaking, and i still actively try to avoid that. go be a mm babby somewhere else

>insecure poorfag from dead genre

I'd shit on you in all Quakes and Dota with my eyes closed, kid.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Don't reply to my posts if you can't contribute anything, you underdeveloped mongoloid.

>spoiled Generation Z newfag doesn't even understand how match making works
>b-but i n-never p-played it a-anyway

Way to show how painfully new you are.

>ad hominem is only bad when used against me
brilliant
>I'd shit on you in all Quakes and Dota with my eyes closed, kid
yeah sure bubba, let's see those hot stats of yours

@181832198
7/10

Use "sir" or "your majesty" when you address to me, kiddo.

don't make posts if you can't contribute anything

interesting filename
>10 minutes to get some stats
believable and totally not someone else's, 10/10

dota is a trash game for literal autists

this

>2k shitters

what does that mean? hello? anyone?

Anyone know when the next update for QC is? Also is the new game mode in UT4 fun like Onslaught was, and does it have people playing it?

>Anyone know when the next update for QC is? Also is the new game mode in UT4 fun like Onslaught was, and does it have people playing it?
It was updated today or yesterday.

Huge update probably after QuakeCon.

You mean Blitz in UT4?
Imo, it's shit, but it seems decently popular so ymmv. Give it a go, you might like it. Too much of a spamfest for me.

For the person who requested more smug Bitterman.

Also, a transparent background version.

Finals are up

also on YT!

>youtube.com/watch?v=NqCKGFxLhdc

Excellent
Finally someone who can actually draw, unlike me

Also week 2 duel qualis are live on twitch if you want to the early matches.

I don't think I really care about duel in QC though.

why is toxjq in all my dm matches

based

and blizzard released an /a/ homage known as doomfist trailer, only to divert the attention from both CS and Quake tournaments...

your mmr is high
you shouldnt have curbstomped noobs this hard

>play arena duel in Reflex
>opponent complains about my use of hitscan that I've learnt from duel
>apologize and drop it
>RL, Plasma and grenades the game
>constant spam from him. Hitting random ass grenades at times
>camping
>bemoan my opponents use of grenades
>tells me to git gud
>tell him it's lame becuase there's no control elements so you can literally just hold a position and spam while I have to wait unless I'm impatient
>makes game boring
>asks me to seriously arena duel me
>pause /sgdq/ stream and starts taking it serious on a new map
>his strat is to spam grenades whenever he sees me approach
>wait for him to run out of nades (15!)
>he spams rockets whenever he sees or hears me approach
>wait for him to run out of (25!!!) rockets
>30 seconds left in round
>shoot him for 100 damage of rocket damage
>wait for timer to tick him down while he flails because he doesn't have movement
>>proceed to do the same for virtually every round except some he gets railed when he peaks sometimes or catches one of my sparingly used grenades

>he mad, calls me names
>"You mat not like it, but this is what peak arena duel performance looks like."

I feel bad. But arena scrubs need to learn. I'm fine with playing with made up rules and playing these modes for fun but fuck, don't complain about me complaining about nades when you disallow me hitscan.

Blitz isn't like onslaught

Is anyone else's hitboxes and projectiles feeling like absolute laggy garbage after the latest patch?

Direct hits don't even do 100 and the hitmarker shows up delayed even tho i'm at 20ish