So I have this truck, and I just got a flowmaster 40 series muffler for it and want to clean up the sound...

So I have this truck, and I just got a flowmaster 40 series muffler for it and want to clean up the sound. The exhaust is leaking from the place where the exhaust manifold is attached to the engine. Is there a way to fix this without excessive cost or labor? The people I bought the muffler from said they could fix the leak for 100$. Are they trying to jip me or is this a good price?

Get some of that cheap exhaust leak wrap, works great.

we can totally determine cost from your picture of the side of a truck

what kind of truck?
what kind of engine?

GMC K1500
Chevy 350/5.7 TBI
Do you reccomend a certain type?

bump

Wait...you mean the exhaust manifold gasket? If it's that, you can do that in the driveway on those trucks. The gasket is dirt cheap.

If the manifold itself is cracked, though...go to a junkyard and get a good one off another truck like yours. Still dirt cheap.

It makes a clicking sound under acceleration or high speed cruising. I can't pinpoint exactly where from but its coming from near Cylinder 1. Does that help?

I mean, I've heard small manifold gasket leaks sound like clicking. You're sure it's not something on your accessory drive?

If you're sure it's an exhaust leak, take a thin strip of paper and move it near the gasket seal, and watch for it to move. A lighter or match will work, too, as long as the cooling fan isn't running. Alternatively, just feel for it. Carefully.

exhaust manifold gasket, buy a good one because this job is a cunt

>Flowmaster 40 series
Cool OP, you won't sound like every other 350 out there!

Way to go OP! Hope you vary throttle inputs when you're idling around to give it that false cam sound! No one else does that, ever! Especially with GM shitboxes!

>Kys

Hey, I think it sounds good, especially without the catalytic converter. What's it to you?

>Sounds good
Just like a song that's been played one too many times.

Take a popular song. For instance, Eye of the Tiger. Good song, sure, but you've heard it since the beginning of your childhood. Repeat that song everywhere you go at all times. You could actually probably pull into a parking lot somewhere and someone else will have the identical $80 setup you have.

It sucks. It's a worn out sound.

And no, your $80 exhaust setup doesn't actually sound good. God GM owners really do lack any sense of creativity or originality.
>Just LS swap it hurrrrr

I am young and on a budget, without much free time and just wanted a reasonably cheap good sounding muffler for my driving. My dad had some Cherry Bombs from his 1968 327 Camaro he gave me but they don't fit the pipe, so I just did a bit of research and it fit my needs. Why do you feel the need to insult?

autism

Shut up queer

Just loosen the nuts on the exhaust manifold studs enough so you can pull the exhaust down a bit and wiggle the metal gasket into the right position. That's the problem and I know it because I have the same problem on the same truck with the same engine and I'm just too lazy to fix it.

Soapy water and spray bottle. Spray it were you think the leak is, it'll bubble where the exhaust leak is. If it's the gasket, get one and do it in the driveway. You got plenty of room with the 350 to work and its really easy. Follow torgue specs and sequence or it may leak again. Ls1tech is a good forum for info

But you don't constantly blast flowmasters on the radio for hours. It's your car and you probably don't see another with the same exhaust very often. Thus, because you're listening to the of the tiger once, it's enjoyable. Just because something is popular does not make it bad.

Thanks for the help, but the shit just boils off instantly while it's running. Am I supposed to do it while it's not running? I don't see how any bubble would form otherwise

From someone with an identical truck, exhaust manifold gaskets are 10 bucks tops. How easy it is depends on which side the leak is on. Drivers side (at least on my truck) requires unbolting the power steering bracket. Passenger side is easy mode.

Start the engine when it's cold, not after it's warmed up. Then spray it on

lol this is the kind of stupid I tried to help. Just sell your chevy and buy a dodge my guy, we all know it's coming.

Why?

Because when I'm trying to sleep at 3 in the morning I hear this exact setup idle down the road. He's jabbing the throttle pretending to have a cam. It's loud and obnoxious.

It's Harley Davidson tier obnoxious.

And what baffles me is just how common this behavior is amongst GM owners.

I seldom hear a loud Dodge, excluding second gens, or Ford, unless it's the diesel engine. However diesels fall into a different category altogether.

Topkek.

I don't know where you live but all the ford guys just straight pipe their shit and it sounds awful, and the dodge guys, well you're right they usually dont touch their shit.

Do it cold, bubbles form from the air coming out the leak