Are Jeeps a good buy? How bad is it for a clueless dude like me who can only do oil changes and tire rotation?

Are Jeeps a good buy? How bad is it for a clueless dude like me who can only do oil changes and tire rotation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5sVmoOZRypk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

old ones with the 4.0 straight 6 are good

I was eyeing the Wrangler/Rubicon lineup because the gal wants to take it into the woods and adventure

>Wrangler
Shit to drive on the road and shit reliability. Get a 4runner and put a small lift on it

get an old Nissan or Toyota 4x4 pickup or a 4runner or Pathfinder then. Jeeps are as wobbly as a fatass on a moped on the highway. only thing saving Jeep was the 4.0 were a good engine

best 2 offroad adventure trucks i had were a 81 Toyota Hilux and a 88 Nissan KingCab

If you want to just go in the woods and adventure, you don't need a Wrangler. Better off with a Cherokee or maybe a Subaru

thx senpaitachi the one thing that had me originally focused on the jeep is the fact i can take doors and roof down

stupid or na?

>jeep is the fact i can take doors and roof down
Cool in theory, until you, your girl, and your gear are covered in fucking dirt from trails and then soaked because it started to rain and it takes forever to put the top on

If youre a clueless guy, I recommend you get one of the crossover based offroad vehicles. They are more capable than anyone here will admit while being more comfy on the road. Wranglers, 4runners and other frame platforms are only worth it if you will mod them, and these mods will provide performance that is simple not needed to on adventures in the woods.

>crossover based offroad vehicles
Ah yes, 4wd with 5 inches of ground clearance

Most of those offroad crossovers have 8in so basically a stock Wrangler. If you're only going on trails in the woods and arnt really modifying you're vehicle, they are worth it.

I've literally taken stock civic hatchbacks through the rocky mountains on dirt/rock logging roads.

People who think you need some crazy apocalypse truck or SUV to just drive it on roads anyways are kinda dumb. I can understand the lifted truck and monster tires with the intake up top if you're literally crawling over boulders and fallen logs and through streams and shit but it turns out very few people actually do that.

>Toyota

What a meme

but the thing is i'll also be carrying shit up there too so i'll need at least a 4WD or equivalent because i also go up mtns in the winter. guess at this point with looking at jeeps is because they look cool.

Any Jeep with the 4.0 is a good buy. I got the grand Cherokee but I read the 90s Cherokee has a better transmission with the 4.0 engine

This corolla has more storage space than a jeep and also 4WD so you don't spin tires because you are trying to go uphill from a stop on ice for some reason.

Again, the requirements for an adventure vehicle are way less than people seem to realize.

I agree with this post to a degree. For jeep, only the Cherokee and grand Cherokee are worth taking offroad, and only the trailhawk version of the Cherokee.

Wranglers have shit for leg room, much less cargo space

youtube.com/watch?v=5sVmoOZRypk

faggot

My expectation is being completely hands on when it comes to maintenance etc, which is why i have been trying to sponge everything i can on basic maintenance over the last couple of months.

If we're talking new, then ehh, not really imo. The new Latitudes and Cherokees have janky ass transmissions and the renegades have piss weak engines. Can't speak for the wranglers much.

If we're talking older models then prepare to pay out the ass for jeep tax (especially wranglers, XJs don't have it as bad for whatever reason). Expect sensors to fail if it was built after Chrysler took over. Like everyone else said ITT, the 4.0 is a tank.

Anything with a straight 6 is good

Aw, did someone rip off your smiley face tire cover and "if you can read this, flip me over" windshield sticker

>Adventure truck
Mistake.
SUV's are for adventuring, trucks are for towing and hauling.

Something like this is going to require a shitton of modding tho?

Nah that's stock.

Since we're on the topic of adventure vehicles: if I wanted to, is my 93 explorer capable of being molded to being a good rock crawler/off roader? I kinda intend on going in some challenging trails, how extensive would I need to modify it? I'm thinking a lift and just figuring out how to add a gas can holder outside it but I wanna make sure
Second question: my richfag friend wants to into 4x4, is the fj cruiser any good? I see them alot and figure it might be better than/as good as the typical 'get a wrangler' mindset and maybe more reliable mechanics wise

Interesting.... wonder if I can find any near my dealerships

Jeep does not use any good transmission anymore they are all garbage especially the 6 speed manual. The older jeeps with the 4.0 used a Japanese made AX15 that was arguably the best transmission ever available in a open top jeep. The NV3550 was also decent but it had it's quirks.

Never run GL5 gear oil in the AX15 though it destroys syncros. Toyota used the same transmission in their trucks and they ran 10w-40 motor oil with no problems.

Jeep cruising in the summer is 10/10 though

I live in SoCal so the weather is mild enough where I only have to deal with 100F+ weather in the summer...