Hey Veeky Forums. There's a lad selling my dream car, a porsche cayman

Hey Veeky Forums. There's a lad selling my dream car, a porsche cayman.
>exact exterior/interior/wheel color combination I've been looking for
>it's the cheapest cayman in america made after the body refresh a year before
>It has a salvage title, and I'm REALLY sketched out by it
>it's on the other side of the country but I could still afford to get it shipped to me, but would need to make a smaller down payment resulting in a slightly higher monthly payment(about $250 which I can pretty easily afford)
>I'll need to pay for any fees associated with getting it a rebuilt title; I'm not 100% sure but I'm sure there are fees for that
>the collision was a rear-end ,and thanks to the cayman being mid-engine that means all of the internals are in perfect condition, and the guy just had to replace the back bumper

Is this a good idea? It's at the higher end of my budget at $22.5k but I could still potentially afford it. Should I just go for an older year?

>buying a car which had been in an accident
>not inspecting it in person
are you a tard?

If you can't go check it out yourself, have someone do it for you and see if there's frame damage.

Or wait for something in your area to pop up, maybe something with the "wrong" wheels because those are easy as fuck to switch out yourself anyway.

>salvage title
>guy just had to replace the back bumper

forgot to mention, I sent him an email today and am waiting on the maintenance records before I go ANY further with this

I'm more than likely going to have to fly out there and inspect it myself, just need to make a little bit more to get a flight out there
that was just extra, I'm well aware those are easy to replace

Salvage just means insurance totalled it.

How would I go about finding someone to check it out for me?

Maybe you know someone in the area, maybe someone from Rennlist lives close to it (they're usually a pretty helpful bunch), or as a last resort I guess you could ask someone from here.

Call up a Porsche dealership in the area, and ask them if they have people for that, or if they’d be willing to do a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) of the car for you to tell you everything that’s wrong with it. It will cost a couple hundred but it’s worth it if it’s “the one”

Oh that's true, didn't even think of rennlist. I'll check there

>dream car
>porsche cayman
>salvage title
>other side of the country
>rear-end collision
Really nice car, OP.
Especially like that you're going out of your way to go see it.
That being said, when you inspect it, don't worry too much about any interior damage, it doesn't cost much to fix.
A really important thing to remember is that these cars need a lot of TLC.
Remember that it is rwd so taking corners with it might be scary at first.
Don't worry though, you should buy it, it seems like a great deal desu.

Btw why is the biggest Porscheforum called Rennlist?

I know. The insurance company wouldn't have totalled it if the bumper was all that got fucked up.

The "RS" in certain Porsche model names stands for "RennSport" so that's what they're referencing.

They might have. It just means fixing it to factory impeccability was more expensive than the cash value of the vehicle.

The usual threshold for totalling a car is if the damage is 75% of the market price of the car. There's no way it was just a lil' bumper damage.

Body work is expensive. A bumper/quarter panel repair can easily run 3k which is more than most shitboxes market value

Bondo my man

That's not what a body shop would do. Insurance prices it to get back to factory specs

Never under any circumstances buy a car with a salvage title. The only time I'd consider owning a car with a salvage title is if I fixed and restored it myself.