github.com/thetarkus/WebMCam

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pupdeq1MoVw
youtu.be/6aUcOP6Iqo4
youtu.be/WLuLgkClB0w
oakleaff.itch.io/kniggitdemo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The best language for gamedev is Norwegian Scheme

He is worse than a nodev. He is - may Allah forgive me for using this word - gogem.

What is the most exciting happening in indie gamedev in the past year or two? Any foreseeable big changes in the landscape?

vr, distributed publishing, the internet, revival in retro graphics

post how long you have been coming here and how many original games u have finished

1 year

google "the witness"

>distributed publishing
>Distributed content is any content that a publisher creates to live “natively” on an outside platform
I don't get it.

>revival in retro graphics
That's not new!

Do not ever dare speak to me again, nodev peasant.

you got me

twitter devs discovered they can light their pixel sprites in unity and unreal

agdg has yet to catch up on doing this properly

Dreadful. Simply dreadful.

unironically though what's the process for this?

grixels ree

I suspect there is no game whenever I see art like this and I'm usually right.

not this time, it's a game.

I'm pretty sure that specific image was created in photoshop using the usual bloom/blur filters at a low res

Anyone have a good example on using a list/dictionary in Unity to set controls? If my person is walking around on foot, I want left and right to make them go left and right. However, if they're in a vehicle, I want right and left to turn/spin the vehicle.

Right now I just have checks in the update function to see if they're mounted or not, but that seems very inefficient.

kek

I wouldn't know, I can't do it properly myself

the way I try to do it in Unity is that I set up a custom material and use that instead of the basic unlit sprite material, I use my own cartoony surface shader with the material, but unity's default standard shader is good enough for most purposes

the main trick to the whole thing is to use normal maps to make things reflect light in that slick 3D fashion rather than just appearing like lit flat pieces of paper

I've been telling people to do this for a couple years now. Dungeon of the Endless dudes did a Unite talk about how they did it. Probably not the only way.

The concept you are after is a state machine. It doesn't need to be implemented with a data structure (although if you are creative you might find a way to do it). You'd be better served by looking into the concept and seeing what you can find.
Also, depending on how many different control contexts you have, your checks might be enough control flow. Only go for the more complex control flow structures if you need the structure and flexibility (presumably because you have more than 2 contexts to track).

it's not photoshop, it's basic realtime lighting effects

youtube.com/watch?v=pupdeq1MoVw

it's a game but you pretty much just walk to the right the entire time.

I don't have a state machine coded in because I've just been using animator as the state machine.

Currently everything is controlled by an InputHandler script that uses the command pattern. Maybe I can move the movement parts of the script onto the gameobject itself, but call them the same thing.

there's a pretty significant difference between the image you posted and that trailer
the trailer is all 3d cutouts and shadows where the image you posted is all about the light bleed

Reposting in new thread. Messing with some assets for decoration.

As a side note, what do you anons listen to when working?

the pic is quite a bit older, it just has HDR'd self-illum I guess

would be pretty weird to waste time photoshopping stuff when you can just do it in-engine with 3 clicks

Make a separate "alpha" texture, except instead of transparency it drives the emissive

Carpenter Brut

how do i become creative?

peyote

If what you have set up works for you, then there's no reason to change it. The only concern I'd have is if it's easy to back over it at a later date and see what's happening. As long as things are obvious you should be fine then.

Good luck with your project friend.

When drawing / level designing: Vidya music ( gamemp3s.net ).

When programming: silence.

Throwing yourself into slightly uncomfortable situations. Creating in noisy places, creating at odd hours, creating in odd places, creating when listening to music, etc.

It doesn't mesh with the discipline you need to maintain when you're in "get shit done" mode, though.

youtu.be/6aUcOP6Iqo4
I think an RTS about a matriarchy society like feminista claim could be interesting.

Males are a waste of resources and they do nothing excepto breeding new kids.
Females are vital to society, they build shit, take care of ThE children.
Females need to get pregnant to make new units.
Females are your soldiers but theyre as well your farmers and hunters.
Your villagers can die of starvation as well.
ThE females can die hunting as well.
Females cant do shit while pregnant.

Many interesting ideas.

I actually don't like programming in silence. It's just too quiet for my taste

>Females cant do shit while pregnant.
>Females cant do shit for 9 months straight
incredible

Chill ambiance or the likes can be alright, but I find myself still having to turn even that off when I need to focus particularly hard.

Put yourself in different situations.weed

whatever "the top" means. when was the last time we had a single president?

Given it's a command pattern, I can make it send messages to the console easily to see what's happening.

Thanks for the advice though.

what game?

What's better: a 2-3 minute walking-only scene that provides exposition at the very beginning of the game (thus delaying the action), or putting it halfway in the game as a flashback?

This would be a scene that's set years before the main setting of the game.

start off with the action, it's the core value of your game.

>have to feed men alcohol, tendies, and video games to keep them from getting too antsy

Either way allow me to skip it.

Trying to figure out what to do on the tools.aggydaggy.com home page; thinking of just removing all the garbage, having the link dump and info dump on there and calling it a day. I can't keep up with keeping it up to date. Anything anyone wants to see there?

Start off with interesting shit. This is a well known cornerstone of stories/vidya.

podcasts. or lounge jazz.

All my code is in side my devstudioname namespace. Is there a way I can add System.Linq to the devstudioname namespace so its inherited or something by all the other files so I don't have to keep doing
>using System.Linq
each time

everyone's saying to start off the game bombastically but honestly I'd say take it slow

with my first couple of games I'd just drop the players straight into action before they even realized what's going on, that was a terrible strategy, not just because they had no idea what's going on all of a sudden. it also means that (if you suffer the chaos till that point) the inevitable midgame stereotype kicks in much sooner

it's honestly much better to start off slow and slowly pick up pace, introducing new gameplay mechanics and environments and stuff gradually. think about your favorite game, chances are that's exactly what it does

>Infinite loop
>Forced to end task
Man its been a while

So this is the power of Unity...

Gameplay impression for FERAS, I did a few others too I'm gonna upload
youtu.be/WLuLgkClB0w

You're looking at the wrong metric. You should be looking at sweet easy $$$ metric.

Made my first infinite loop the other day. Only lost about five minutes of progress so it was a good learning experience, I think.

Did you get lazy with your crash avoidance because it hadn't happen in such a long time or something?

>close one tab in ue4
>whole editor shits itself

No, and its my 3rd time now. Theres something I'm not gettign with yield return new WaitForSeconds(X); and IEnumerator.

If my IEnumerator is going through various states, each creating their own coroutine with the stuff I want them to do, why is the yield not stopping it from looping? (If I yield in the main one I'm fine, but I want some waiting time in the other co-routines as well

Is this good character design?

No.

no

I unironically really like it. If she was in a game, I'd fan art it.

Do you think this type of clock would work with this? Wouldn't move freely, but like so many turns per day.

hastebin code

I made this for a silly /v/ thing, but now I sorta want to make more...

Is there any engine that would allow me to make something like paper mario using this type of asset? I know very little programming.

There user I tried to help

No, too easy to misinterpret
Maybe if they were sectioned off where it was very clear how many turns were left

and another attempt, hope you like

Shamelessly reposting DEMO from previous thread.

oakleaff.itch.io/kniggitdemo

Turns out the level building (generating from heightmap) doesn't work correctly on all machines, gotta figure that out. The level _should_ have clear height differences (hills), but at least one guy had just an almost-smooth plain.

If what you're asking is "is there an engine that allows me to put in sprites and they move like in paper mario" then the answer is no.

However nearly all engines are capable of reproducing the Paper Mario style. The easiest options are GameMaker (mostly 2D), Unity and Godot. (Both 2D and 3D, if you want to go for the 2D sprites + 3D backgrounds thing.)

Personally I'd recommend either Unity or Godot. Differences between the two would be that Unity has a lot more documentation available (so more code to copy-paste off the internet) but Godot is completely free. And yeah you'll have to learn a bit of coding for both.

Another option is using Unreal Engine 4's blueprint editor with the Paper2D features if you don't want to learn a programming language, but that's a bit like attaching a plane engine to your car.

Thanks

I'm glad to hear that, thanks

They're really nice, thanks
Those spirals on her hair was a nice touch

good progress

What engine did you say you were using (if any)?

right lads it's time, I'm going to make Skyrim in Space with procedurally generated solar systems to travel between and custom order waifus, wish me luck!

>it works in the editor with uncapped fps
>it works in the editor with capped fps
>it works in a built game with capped fps
>it does not work in a built game with uncapped fps
i'm not even doing anything that requires time.deltatime. i'm just trying to toggle a boolean on and off.
fuck yourself, unity.

Thank you, that's some a nice start for my research then.

Maybe a stupid question and getting ahead of myself, but would any of those options be better for the output content, if I wasn't sure of making it a mobile or a pc game? Like I imagine it's different to program with touch controllers in mind, than to program for keyboard or controller input, or they all offer the same tools to code for either platform?

rip

danks

GMS 1.4.

Both Unity and Godot have options for building for PC and Mobile.
You will need to reconfigure your controls for each version. There is no universal way for the controls to be mapped across the media.

Best of luck, I'm sure you can do it!

Played it and had lots of fun. Level generation worked perfectly on my first try but after that never worked again Just got smooth plain floor and flying trees.
Also how does the shield work? if I keep the right mouse button pressed the shield flickers like crazy.
Small suggestion: Make a recolor of player's sprite to use on enemies when they are attacking you from behind. Would be a really nice touch.

I am ready

>he felt for the Unity meme
L U L

>not procedurally generated waifus and custom order solar systems

did this LK animation in about 2 hours

> dropping guard
> off-balance knee
> not thrusting forward

Do you even know how to fight? If you did this to anyone half competent you would get knocked the fuck out in 1 second flat.

>mediumpoly meme

BIG
FEMANON
TIDDIES

hahaha

I like it, the lines/volumes are easy to see

it's literally the same form as Makoto's light kick in 3s

are you a dumbass, this is fighting games

Sounds like you have autism to me. I guarantee uncapped vs capped makes no difference for what you're implementing.

> Level generation worked perfectly on my first try but after that never worked again
Thanks, I'll look into it. Probably has something to do with the heightmap getting drawn on a surface...

>Also how does the shield work? if I keep the right mouse button pressed the shield flickers like crazy.
Holding the shield up consumes stamina (to prevent infinite blocking). So id the stamina falls to zero, blocking goes off, stamina starts regenerating, blocking goes on, stamina goes to zero... and so on. I'll fix it.

>Small suggestion: Make a recolor of player's sprite to use on enemies when they are attacking you from behind. Would be a really nice touch.
I'll probably add something like that at some point. It just needs a few more sprite for each enemy, but won't be that hard to code.

Thanks for trying it out :^)

Terrible form too.

Why keep making shit fighting games with shit form. Just do it properly so it looks good.

It's not 1994 anymore.

it's not the same it has a lot more power. notice the back leg starts further away and goes in harder. the front leg bends up straighter.

that off balanceness is triggering me.

Cool art style. It will rustle jimmies.

artists take liberties simple as that. What looks best isn't always what's most realistic.