If I'm not paying for electricity...

If I'm not paying for electricity, is there any downside to leaving my car plugged into a block heater for the entire night?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmy56nGS_KE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The block heater will wear out faster but that's probably it.

Not really except for wear on the electrical component (which doesnt do much)

Not really a point either unless its -30c or something. A well-functioning heater has your engine as warm as it can after 2-3 hours

pretty much this
buy an outlet timer, or if you are tech inclined and near your house, a wifi connected outlet that you can trigger from your phone/iftt

florida fag here
i googled what a block heater does

do ya'll install them into cars? where?

In places where it gets cold in the winter

Engine starts more easily
Less wear on engine
Less wear on battery
Engine is much quicker to reach operating temperature
Cabin warms up quicker
Better MPG

At what point do we need engine block heaters for gasoline cars like in OPs pic?

I understand diesel block heaters but it’s got to be REALLY cold to have to plug in a gasoline car.

Really, no one in the lower 48 needs one on a gas car.

Really, no one needs to drive an automatic, but people still do.

NEED? With a good battery (or two) suited for the environment and an engine in good condition then you'll never really need it to get started. Same goes for a diesel with winterized diesel, the right glow plugs and a correct battery setup

The issue will be that a battery sitting outside in -40c will lose so much of its charge and cca that there is a good chance it will not be able to turn the engine. But, with the battery kept on a charge or heated it should do fine

I was able to start my diesel Hilux fine in -40c with no heater on, and our tenants gas Golf also started, even though it needed a jump from the Toyota

I meant to add that they're not a necessary option, but they make mornings a lot smoother and easier, plus it increases the longevity of your engine quite a lot

That's cold m8

Fucking great, right?
No venomous insects, bugs or any of that shit, barely a single adder thats venomous.
Shitskins dont want any of it and gather in the cities
Sick driftz come easy

What if I light a small fire under the oil pan?

Only works if you have some coffee and cig while its heating up desu

It will, but you have to be careful as you will very quickly melt rubber, plastic, seals and whatnot that are close to the fire

Its better to use small space heaters and putting them under with the hood closed

You vastly underestimate how cold it can get here in Minnesota

At 70+ my car has no issues starting ever. But once it drops below that, especially 50 and below my car hates to try and start.

Leave a jug of oil out overnight in -35 and try to pour it. Now imagine your engine trying to pump that. A block/oil pan heater isn't necessary on a gas engine but it saves some wear on the engine at extreme temperatures.

>Leave a jug of oil out overnight in -35 and try to pour it.
youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc

Where the hell are you living that it gets -35 on a regular basis?

Canada and just a bitch part, it gets a lot colder than that up north.

You dumb little nigger. When it gets -5 fahrenheit (use celsius you fugs). There is a reason why Ladas are extremely popular in the colder areas since they are capable of tackling the Siberian hard and cold winter.

If you can't warm up your engine block with electricity, then this would be your answer. You don't really want to empty your battery from trying to start the car for too long. Those starters can't handle too much electricity either or it will break.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qmy56nGS_KE

This is a an optional way to warm your engine, especially when it comes to big soviet trucks with big engines. Just take couple of firewoods and lit the on fire. Becareful not to burn your truck down.

>Shitskins dont want any of it and gather in the cities
It's not the weather. Here in the warm USA states, they still gather in all the cities because that is where the social welfare service centers are located along with stores and services created specifically to serve social welfare type customers.

Its not like they just kinda prefer the city; they are fucking mortified by the idea of living here. Last winter some 30-ish "refugees" (economic migrants) right over the swedish border from where I lived refused to get off the bus they were on and go to their free apartments/cabins.

The reasons were;
>too much forest
>not enough stores
>no big hospital in town
>it got dark so early
>big animals lived around there
>the cabins didnt have Wifi