What's the point of manual transmissions other than "muh control" of the car? If you're not rally racing...

What's the point of manual transmissions other than "muh control" of the car? If you're not rally racing, what's the point for joe to heel toe on his way to campus?

A computer will outshift a human everytime, even during your shitty highway pulls. It's fun, but majority here seem obsessed with it. From a normie's persepective with a gf and decent upper-tier car, you guys seem like legitimate autists.

It makes a shitty econobox more fun to drive, which is why Veeky Forums is obsessed with manual transmissions.

True patricians can understand any modern automatic, and most CVT's puts a manual in the cuckshed

/thread

bump

I honestly don't get why these questions are asked all the time. Why can't simple enjoyment be a good enough reason? We don't have to list everything on a spec sheet to get the point...

Different strokes for different faggots OP, some like manual trans cause it's more fun to drive.

>A computer will outshift a human everytime

Nope. When I'm entering a curve, I can downshift. Automatic won't do so until I begin acceleration past the apex. And a shift (sudden change in torque to the wheels) in a corner can result in a loss of control.

Paddle shifters will let a driver shift more or less when they want. And they can get from one gear to the next faster. But there is a lag (sometimes variable) from the time a shift is commanded until the computer executes it. If it executes it.

That lag is unacceptable.

Fixing an automatic transmission costs over $4000 dollars. If it breaks it will likely total the car. Much less expensive to fix a manual transmission because it's a lot simpler.

this. used to drive a 1.5L CE lancer, fuck all power, but because it was a light, manual car, I could still have a lot of fun with it.

>Automatic won't do so until I begin acceleration past the apex
even fucking ford focuses have paddles that allow you to drop a gear early and hold it, and faster than most manual shifters, this isn't 2001 you nerd.
I mean the manuel has many, many advantages. speed isn't one of them anymore.

Not in a dual clutch though, which are becoming a whole lot more popular. That's really the only time you should be considering an auto.

Because it triggers you. Duh.

>From a normie's persepective with a gf and decent upper-tier car

Bread on hood, faggot.

It's chicken boi, he has neither.

your car is not upper teir

its just a different way to drive a car. some people have preferences thats all

he owns a ferrari...

> $4000
lol

I don't need my tranny to upshift when I'm just about to slow down anyway, I would rather go slightly higher in the revs and get my engine sounding cool before smoothly slowing in the same gear.

Computer can outshift a person but automatics still tend to be oblivious when to downshift properly. Paddle shifters still come with a program that keeps from downshifting sometimes. Also American automatics are trash, only a manual trans will last you.

Older automatics cost a lot to fix and increase consumption while accelerate slower.
Newer dual clutch automatics accelerate and consume well, but they will cost even more in a couple of years.
If you need a car for under 5000 and you don't have more than 200/mo for fuel and maintenance you shouldn't buy an automatic.
If you buy a new car for at least 25000 and you'll sell it in 5-8 years then go for the automatic.

>A computer will outshift a human everytime

Not in shitty econobox transmissions. The issue isn't even shifting speed, it's the fact that you have so little control over the RPM range. Even the better ones like the one in the new Mazda3 don't let you hold revs.

while you are correct in that assessment, you have to take into consideration that more and more cars have sport mode transmissions. For example the manual for my car has the following statement,

"The transmission
may remain in a gear longer
than it would in the normal
driving mode based on braking,
throttle input, and vehicle lateral
acceleration.

When i drive it spiritedly on curves/turns and curved on ramps, or freeway exchanges etc my cars gear on auto sport mode remains on the gear it was before i entered the curve and stays there until i cease hard driving after a while or shift it to normal. overall has not failed me yet. And when in normal drive car does shift as it suppose to, i have to accelerate to have it down shift by itself after coming out of a turn.

WHY
THE
FUCK
DO
YOU
IDIOTS
KEEP
RESPONDING
TO
CHICKENBOI
THREADS???
WHY ONE ON AN AGE OLD BAIT TOPIC AT THAT??

>Upper-tier car
>A fucking non-evo lancer
These cars are three thousand dollars.

Why did you bump a chickenshitter thread?

My car is nicer than yours, my GF is hotter than yours, and I like manuals.

First the majority of modern auto transmission with a few exceptions will easily last you 100k miles even with some owner neglect/abuse. Second if your car has that many miles its not really a competent sports car anymore since many cars that are much newer will be faster by that time, also depreciation and other factors will make your 100k mile vehicle with a manual transmissions also not worth fixing, making buying a newer car a better decision. Last an auto trans to fix is not worth 4k for majority of cars. maybe $60k+ msrp car yes but obviously not the more common price of cars sold in the usa which is $30k.

I seriously doubt anyone here has one, trip or no

>cond if your car has that many miles its not really a competent sports car anymore since many cars that are much newer will be faster by that time
There are sports cars being made today that are slower than my shitty old F-body.

>That lag is unacceptable.
Using a clutch in traffic is unacceptable.

Unless you own multiple cars an auto with paddles is good. There's no point in owning a manual that spends 90% of it's time commuting and 10% being driven hard.

I don't.

>i have to accelerate to have it down shift by itself after coming out of a turn.

But that's not high performance driving. You need to put the trans. into the lower gear while entering the turn and then modulate the throttle throughout the turn. Without the trans going 'bump' right at the worst time and kicking your rear end out.

Accurate

Because I like him.

>can understand any modern automatic
Real tough.

re-read the post.

>everyone lives in an area with awful traffic

Car Control is the only point. and the most important point. clearly you don't drive.

Modern automatics get put in the cuckshed by proper SMGs. With dogs, instead of synchros that only exist so your retarded wife can drive it without destroying the transmission.

They're also heavier no matter what, especially DCTs.

>any modern automatic, and most CVT's puts a manual in the cuckshed

9 hours. 9 FUCKING hours and you bump this garbage.

name a car you can buy with a sequential manual gearbox

>inb4 atom
name a car burgers can buy with a sequential manual gearbox.

if you can't afford to race prep your car it is not for racing and doesn't get racer features.

Im sick of hearing people who drive manuals endlessly jack eachother off about it. To me it just seems like a fucking pain having to shift all the time more so in traffic

true. Kinda.

On a day to day commuting, in traffic jams, it is annoying to be shifting, especially when you are fiddling with your mobile phone, eating ice cream and fingerbanging hot chick on the passenger seat.. or as Charlie Sheen calls, it, tuesday.

What pisses me even more is being stuck in traffic jam, on the on-ramp, uphill, on a hot summer day in a car with dual-clutch. If it is a dry-clutch system, after 20 minutes it goes limp mode and long before that it just jerks you to prevent inevitable overheat of clutches. Wet clutch systems are wee bit better but still, parking and moving from standstill, or accelerating gently on snow, man, they suck big time.

I am used to manuals, have been driving manuals only, my Subaru even has a fully synchronized dual range gearbox, so I have 10 forward speeds if I want to... and yes, I have to doubleclutch to third gear, I got used to it, next step was heel-toe, fancy but if are doing it daily, you will get used to it and you will be smoother than any autotragic gearbox.

When I was choosing a new car (wanted Subaru, have 2 months of snow here a year and lazy plow drivers) I came across CVT. Well, Subaru has best CVTs and in city driving, when you are just moving around, it makes sense. Engine goes "high idle" and that's it, suddenly you are moving speed limit, still the same sound, same revs, weird feeling but I guess it is stressing drivetrain less, it is constant pull, it has torque converter for smooth takeoffs... but try anything sportier and it behaves tragically. Even preselected paddleshifted gears are lethargic like early 2000 autoboxes.

Then I jumped into car with ZF8speed. converter, epicyclic gearing, nice set of low gears and couple overdrive for highway cruising. Can creep, can hold in hills, can move smoothly on snow, can keep revs down, can lock-up converter, gives you audible confirmation that rising revs equal to rising speed (unlike CVT - constant volume tragedy)

ZF8speed wins.

>If you're not rally racing, what's the point for joe to heel toe on his way to campus?
You don't need to heel-toe if you're not racing.

An automatic can and will brake while downshifting and you can't because "it's for racing"? Are you dumb?

Do you also think rev matching is a "track only" thing and just slowly let out the clutch and only downshift when you're to the point of lugging the engine?

>He rides peoples asses in traffic

Kill yourself so I don't have to deal with you faggots on the road

>I SEE FOLLOWING DISTANCE YOU AREN'T MOVING AS FAST AS YOU COULD
>*HONK*
>*CUTS IN FRONT*
>*BRAKE CHECKS*