/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

how big or complex should you make your mayor's estate edition?
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40 (embed)
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn (embed)

Strike the earth!

(Reminder That Gorilla With a Gun is Going All The Way)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/N5VPi2He
youtube.com/watch?v=-xJ4u9YtDDo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Engrave every inch of his room with scenes of elf slaughter.

Just crossposting myself to over here so the user who is assisting me can reply to this instead of some more unreliable method of communication that I might miss.

The mayor gets a nice suite, but nothing special. He's not ROYALTY.

A basic suite

an elected official of dozens of people NEEDS a place to unwind from the day's struggle

Still better then the normal person and some lower-end management nobles, so what is wrong with basic and comfy? I would prefer that to the BLINDING "splendor" of the higher-end nobles rooms, which are basically fully-engraved, armorstands everywhere, AAHH MY EYES gem windows that reflect light everywhere into the room whenever a sliver of light comes in.

all these people that think the dye-maker won't win
he'll get his redemption

I just stuck gold statues in my baron's room

Silver is prettier to me.
Gold is still pretty reflective, too.

So my one armed adventurer has nasty habit of getting his two handed sword stuck in the wounds of his enemies.

If I keep a dagger strapped to his back, would he be able to draw it if he has his sword embedded in his enemy, given that he has only one arm?

Yeah. It'd be a bit of finagling but you could do it.

Tip from fellow one-armed Zweihander user--slash, don't stab.

Also, kicks. Kicks are really fucking good for some reason. You can hit impossible shots as a novice if you're a really good fighter (and you probably are). Just throat kick people till they collapse and you can decapitate them.

>he makes 3x3 rooms with hallways too
Do you rule the dwarves our they rule you, cuck?

What's wrong with dwarves being able to move around and past each other easier?

They don't actually need that much space. 2x2 is usually good.

>need
chickens don't NEED that much space right?

this is why you make a 100x100 dorm

it's genius
slap the organic label on all dwarven-produced crafts and it'll sell for 1.5x as much

i'm triggered

Do you guys keep your blacksmiths running all day forging equipment? Do you sell any extra or just amass huge stockpiles?

Good ol' /dfg/, still squatting in the dark and gnawing on raw fungus.

I love spoiling mine, I wish I had the CPU for some nice waterworks, sometimes I go all in and everyone and everything gets made of silk and dyed the same colour.

What else are you doing while waiting for the Goblinite to turn up?

your forts are so nice, I wish I had your patience.

They're not really that tough to make, it's only the one floor and a nice neat wagon friendly spiral upwards usually.

All the fancy details end up going in after the fact as I wonder wtf I'm going to do with my 80 dwarfs that won't tank my fps.

Melt anything that's not exceptional or better. Sell "fine dwarven works" of exceptional+ quality to merchants. Buy metal to make more fine dwarven works.

>write out replies to multiple posts
>thread already got archived

I've got exactly the same problem, except it's a native instrument and no performer. Aside from saying that they can't build anything there because there's something in the way, they refuse to acknowledge that it exists in any way. I've tried forbidding it, marking it for dumping, designating a stockpile for instruments, designating another one underneath it and linking them, removing and redesignating the room, trying to build things on top of it, changing how many instruments are allowed in the tavern, the only thing I've thought of but haven't tried is deconstructing the floor underneath it because that would cause plumbing problems. Nothing has had any effect on it whatsoever. It wasn't always like that either, if I recall correctly they did use it properly once.

>I can't see anything
You've got engravings start obscured turned on. You can toggle whether the primary subject of their images is displayed on their tile using the [d]esignations menu iirc and you can change the default in on of the init files. (I can never remember which one is which).

>grand enough
That of course depends on your tastes. What I've got right now is just a big open room with some pillars and statues of all the gods in it. I intend to eventually build a separate temple for each god, with characteristics according to their domains. The god of death, for example will have a temple built into an execution platform, as well as incorporating the corpse pile.

>snow everywhere outside
>wooden houses
>"Comfy"
It's obviously easier said than done, but I kind of wish Toady would implement fire beyond the current all or nothing, mostly abstracted/ignored system we've got.

I want to be able to have dwarves warming themselves around cozy hearths in the winter and melting snow/ice for water to not be adventure mode-only.

The cookfire crackled as it dimmed, drawing its small light away from the hut's meager interior. Dawn's slow rise was soon to come, but the window only knew darkness and stars in the twilight.

A bowl clattered as it was set down, and straps slithered as a backpack was hoisted--all leather and wool, the spoils of old hunts.

"I should get going."

The ranger turned for the door, but as his right hand reached to push, she grabbed his left with a fuzzy hand.

"Herne. Please. Just a little longer," she said, rising from her chair.

He grunted and turned back, taking her other hand. He could hardly see with the fire nearly out.

He backed into the door and let the starlight draw her face, her snout, her orange eyes locked with his, her brown fur under the stroke of his palm. The chill of predawn rushed through him.

It felt like nothing. Nothing next to something warm before him.

"You won't watch?"

"I couldn't bear it," she said, and turned her gaze to the ground.

The wind cast a few hazardous snowflakes into the hut. Even as they brushed her feet she did not move.

"You can't stay?" she muttered.

"I have to go," he told her, "I have to avenge him. That crab--"

He paused, bristling with anger. But he let it go. Let it go for a mere moment, a thought drifting out there in the ice.

"Wilbo was a good boy," she said, "and he didn't deserve that. Fight for him. But fight for us, too."

She looked back into the hut, back where Rodim lay asleep, and she pulled his hand from her cheek down to her belly.

"I love you," he said, placing her head in the crook of his neck.

"Come back to me," and the tears fell and froze and a horrible fear gripped her mind.

For a long while as the sun was being born, they held that embrace, terrified and uncertain. But the time came.

She stared at him, silhouetted and invisible by the fading moon, and he turned and left and drifted off into the frost, into the trees, into the light.

WILBO DID NOTHING WRONG

Crabo will soon be a widowmaker

Can dwarfs get scared of creepy/disgusting engravings?

BAH GAWD HE HAD A FAMILY

no dog could ever even come close to 1/10th the power of the crustacean
this is fact

any tips for fighting a bronze colossus with a sword?

don't

get a copper whip

even with novice skill you can solo him.

Not a steel whip?

update from last thread
trigger warning: (incest) mummy and i talked for a while and i put my hand on her leg(she was wearing pj's) she seemed uncomfortable tho

I lured one into a pond where he couldn't climb out and used reach and thrown attacks against him.

copper. It's a bug.

If the material is bronze or better go for head or neck shots. If not, don't even try. Your weapon will break faster than you can hurt the colossus.
The other guy is full of shit, there isn't any bug with material properties, and whips' damage scales normally with better materials. Silver would technically be preferable to steel, but it (like a copper whip) would certainly break before the colossus does.

Nigger I've killed three bronze colossi with a goddamn copper whip.

The only other thing you'll need is dodging skill. Being a necro helps too so you can run max speed and not get tired.

I said ascertain if she is attracted to you first. If she does not seem to be then should make yourself more attractive and apparent. Improve your physique and walk around the house wearing only tight underwear.

>Raw autosage! Praise the bumpers!

tfw

>get massive 240 units invasion on year 3
>every following year I get an "invasion" of literally just one fucking goblin
nice to know invading civs are a one time only deal

>no passionate elk sex under a starless sky
8/10

>You lick the goblin meat [6]
Don't be a fucking faggot eat that shit this is bullshit I want to feast on the flesh of my enemies

Once you figure out the ui this game got so easy it stopped being a game and more of a simulator. Exploits and "techniques" removed the fun.

Then the simulation stops and it becomes a fortress management thingy where you design the most complex shit you want reaching the impossible.

t. Cacame Oogaboogame

Gotta toggle the dead_dwarf flag off somehow.

local scrn=dfhack.gui.getCurViewscreen()
local meat
if df.viewscreen_itemst:is_instance(scrn) then
meat=scrn.item
meat.flags.dead_dwarf=false
elseif df.viewscreen_dungeon_monsterstatusst:is_instance(scrn) then
meat=scrn.inventory
for k,v in ipairs(meat) do
meat[k].item.flags.dead_dwarf=false
end

elseif df.global.ui_advmode.menu==5 then

meat=df.global.world.units.active[0].inventory
for k,v in ipairs(meat) do
meat[k].item.flags.dead_dwarf=false
end
end

Dorfs always prefer the closest dining room available, right?

That works well, cannibalism.lua: pastebin.com/N5VPi2He

Cats keep walking in front of my ballistas.
I don't plan to fix this.

>he didn't toggle his cats

Update: Some dumb migrant literally shot his own duck pet with a ballista point-blank, a while later he had a meltdown crying in the tavern because there were no coffins for pets so the duck just rotted away.
I then ordered all pets to be pastured on a bridge over the river, and made duckfuck pull the lever.
There are still no pet coffins.

user, why do you enjoy being deliberately cruel to your dorfs?

>tfw to dumb too build a few coffins

>not making hatchery room for all egg laying animals and pasturing them there

Dumb raccoon niggers trying to steal my shit, search no job, look up stats, mighty, almost never sick and very agile, give her a kill order

>was forced to endure the decay of a pet
>was forced to endure the decay of a loved one
>was forced to drink vomit
>was forced to use a friend as fertilizer recently
>doesn't really care about anything anymore

Got a neat little fort, a shame it has to shut down the food industry as it is producing too much food

we don't really do balance

>Forest Titan comes

>its a 3 eyed squirrel with spitting

So just a raibd Squirrel....really DF...really

Here's your FB lore for today

youtube.com/watch?v=-xJ4u9YtDDo

Will FBs fight each others if they stumble upon each other?

Yes.

Any traps play DF? I need a gf.

Weird i have two running around in the same cave and they seems to be best buddies and all

I want diagonal walls. What's the best?

>only 5 more hours until the adventures of Tryhardin

Against a troll with an axe, there's no hope man. He wont even be able to break any bones or disarm the big guy.

I'm partial to Raving Maniac. Someone recently did an edit of Myne with diagonal walls that looks pretty good. There are some taffer variants with diagonal walls that are nice. If you're mentally ill and into rectangles there are diagonal versions of comfyset and vectored curses that have been made by anons.

>Have Mirror shield

>point at Jackson

>Jackson see his reflection, a well groomed troll with nice haircut

>he goes insane and bash his head in the neareast pillar

>Fight over

There its that simple

that's what they said about the legendary good boy Stabo

Now Stabo's claiming he invested the Good Boy skill.

The nerve of that filthy crustacean.

Today's winner prediction
Trihardin
Urist
He-Man
Lava Lad
Gorilla w/ a Gun
Herne
Hercules
Ulric

This would be the good timeline.

But we all know the worst timeline will win.

Hopefully we get the Decent Timeline, where half of these selected competitors survive.

What would you do if you had a shit ton of trees native gold, galena and gems but no copper or iron to make more picks to put an overabundance of idlers to good use

Train everyone a little bit as a weaponsmith and make sure there's plenty of silver by the forges.

lava

I don't see the point in this.

I plan to just have one legendary weaponsmith, when they get good enough they will be able to supply a masterwork armory alone, that said the next Dwarven Caravan will pay a heavy price for battle axes, and if I can make like 10 to 20 silver battle axes I may be able to buy everything from them including picks and meltables.

At least I have too much food for three years and a cloth + dye industry, whilst working on a sheep industry

You can have a random silver artifact weapon, rather than another stone earring when someone gets a mood.

You can't put a price on artefact silver warhammers.

I figure if moods are going to happen they can happen to my advantage.

Is dabbling enough, if it isn't able to override a less weighted profession then it is too soon to try

Is.. is this l.. lewd?

Yes, if they've not got an equal or higher moodable skill, so anyone who can't do anything can go make a few arrows or something.

It's a good use for workshop profiles too, since you can set it so only dabbling smiths can use it, and they'll prune themselves over time.

No, but these are.

>The Decency of Eviscerating
Heh.

Random names are best names.

Any artifact that silver would be good for gold will be better for.

That's right, just the heaviest isn't it?

So used to making silver warhammers and scrabbling around for armour it's always my goto.

Yeah, that's the conventional wisdom at least.

best timeline is saved for winning crabs

Ask a Tournament Manager anything

Will not reveal name of fighter, just to disappoint any Daily Goblin Shenanigans reporters.

Do you think your fighter will win?

I know it's you Mr. Worldwide

What's a good wine to pair with Capn Crunch? Asking for a friend.

Do you love your dwarfs /dfg/?

Answer the questions you faggot.

I create a room and special tomb with as many of their favorite things as I can find in it. I love my Dwarves with all of my heart.