It makes me sad that people stick their cars in these things for years on end, never once taking it for a drive...

It makes me sad that people stick their cars in these things for years on end, never once taking it for a drive, just waiting for the next auction so they can sell it for more than they got it for.

Cars should be driven. At least replicas can let you have fun with a car without people swooping in to scream at you about 'risking your investment' or teeling you to keep it in a garage.

boomers aren't people

its usually old fucks that do that stuff, ive driven the piss out of every classic ive owned. cant take that shit with you when you die and your kids are just gonna sell it when you croak so may as well enjoy it

I once saw a forum post that summed it up pretty well.

"Not fucking your girlfriend just so the next guy has more fun in her doesn't make much sense."

He will never ever sell that at a profit no matter what. The number of people interested in Corvettes falls every year. Maybe the C7 could appreciate in value but I doubt that as well. The C5 is just not that good of a car to ever be highly desirable.
>in 20 years most boomers will be dead
>millenials will be the new boomers, but they're poor and don't even like cars
>in 20 years non self-driving cars will be outlawed in urban areas, making older vehicles near worthless
>probably we'll also have "efficiency inspections" on top of today's emissions testing. Cars that get less than ~30mpg won't be registerable.

Not fucking likely, user. Not in America, anyway. Only a few major cities have worthwhile public transit, and that shit isn't built overnight.

Yep

Also a guy on a Porsche Forum back in the day who said

>Resale Value: words most often spoken of by people who can't really afford their cars in the first place.

who ever popularized this trend should've had their ass kicked, i'm so fucking sick of people buying cars made to be driven and putting them in a box

that might be because new corvettes aren't that great, the C4 is more interesting than the C6&7 are

>a corvette

literally why would anyone care about that turd?

>Not fucking your girlfriend just so the next guy has more fun in her doesn't make much sense
kek

Why would anyone think that a base, convertible, grey vette would be worth anything in 10-20 years? Maybe if it was a ZR1 or something. Fucking boomers

unfortunately a lot of old ass white dudes care enough.

>the C4 is more interesting than the C6&7 are
This guy gets it.

Its not so bad, thanks to them you can get a 25 year old car with very low miles. It is for an extortionate amount of money but at least the option is still there.

The fuckers who just let their cars sit outside and rust are the worst type of i know what i got.

Not fucking your girlfriend so the next guy gets a tight pussy.

Either way, it's true with most cars. Drive that shit and enjoy it.

>Not fucking your girlfriend so the next guy gets a tight pussy.

thats not how vaginas work you virgin

Interesting article about boomers and the C5

www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a32169/the-corvettes-that-dont-get-driven-sold-or-bought/

t. Roastie

tfw you will never buy that thing and daily drive your brand new old car

Split the difference.
Get a great car and drive the shit out of it for the first year or two, then garage it and take it out only occasionally.
Believe me, you won't be anywhere near as into it a few years in, and at that point, you might as well either sell it outright for a small loss, or gamble on it increasing in value substantially (enough to cover maintenance & etc costs).

I'd hardly call it a turd, but a lot of boomers are delusional about their base-model sports cars. There's a guy near me who washes and waxes his v6 2005 mustang every week. It has a name. Garaged, rarely driven. And it's a bone stock car worth 4 grand at most.

Fpbp

Fobp

>thinking a corvette, a quintesential econo-sports car, will ever appreciate in value.

Might as well stick a Camry or a Civic in there.

i get what that guy is trying to say

but this analogy is fucking stupid, you don't sell your girlfriend to her next boyfriend

Cars as investments are a fucking joke. Inflation kills any profit potential automatically, plus the sales tax you'll never see again.

You're better off buying an iconic car that's depreciated significantly, drive it for a year, sell it, and move on to the next car while keeping an interest-bearing account with the amount you spent on the car. But most people are too poorfag to even afford the car in the first place, so whatever.

Heh.

>buy bubble, 3k civic
> put civic in bubble
>spray paint entire bubble black
>tell people it's the best condition Ferrari 250GTO in existence
>tell them opaque bubble is to protect paint from all UV light
>sell civic/bubble at auction for half a million
>?????
>profit

When they do put a car into a bubble and plan to leave it for 10 to 20 years... do they also plan to rebuild all the components that have dry rotted away?

If you care at all about the money beyond "can I afford it" you're not enjoying cars for the right reasons.

Not if you pick the right one.
There are a dozen Ferraris that have absolutely crushed identical investments in major indices like the Dow and the S&P.

What if I care about
>WHY HAS THIS CAR BEEN MEMED TO THIS PRICE REEEEEEEEE?
The NA Miata, MR2 and NSX is going that way

I wish someone cared about me enough to put me in a hypodermic bubble and sell me to an old rich white man.

Yeah, most of Veeky Forums fucking loves Twingo, doesn't mean it will ever be impossible to pick one for 500€.

I hate how true this is. By the time we're boomer age we probably won't even have cars to drive or collect. Fuck millenials

people actually think corvettes are an "investment" and will actually appreciate? I just figured it was a case of old fucks spending their life savings on a midlife crisis machine to feel young but not actually having the urge to drive.

>in 20 years non self-driving cars will be outlawed in urban areas, making older vehicles near worthless
Nah, self driving cars are still pretty far off from being roadworthy, and the majority of the population isn't going to be able to afford first or prpbably even second gen autonomous cars.

Its ok to love whatever car you have.

>spending their life savings
>Corvette
Minimum wage is a bitch.

Cool blogpost, your opinions are shit, fuck off.

na miatas are super plentiful and aw11s are all rusty pos. nsx i agree

Simply, save the pussy for the next guy.

silly...
$37800 @ 1997
Considering you could make 7% a year in the market since then you'd have $146,274 in 20 years.
No one is buying a '97 corvette for anywhere near that.

>I'd hardly call it a turd
I wouldn't

>cant take that shit with you when you die and your kids are just gonna sell it when you croak so may as well enjoy it

this perfectly describes my experience when my parents passed away. so much accumulated hobby crap that the kids didn't care about in the least, made it difficult to find items of actual sentimental value

>NA Miata

they're still pretty cheap desu, just have to look around in less popular cities or really just avoid cities altogether

Mine was $2500 at 100k

the difference is NA miatas are literally everywhere and cheap as shit to fix, it'll be years from now before they really start going up. The nsx is ridiculous though and it's only gonna get worse

here's your (you)

>car
>investment
nigga what the hell are you doing

Literally who I es a shit about what someone does with their own money that makes them happy

Fucking cunts

>he just accepts the idea that autonomous cars will lead to a ban on all cars as if it was inevitable without thinking about it
>he forgets that motorcycles still exist despite being purely for recreation and being much more dangerous than a normal car
>he forgets a litany of other things like grandfather laws and how romanticized classic cars are in American culture
The worst you might have to do is attach a transponder to alert robot cars to your location. This alone would likely make accidents uncommon enough that going for a total ban would be too much effort for too little gain. If you leave this website on a regular basis, you will find that recreational driving isn't something done exclusively by a niche group of autists. Everyone just seems to be accepting that this will be exactly like the horse-car transition with added conspiracy when there's nothing that explicitly declaring that this will be the case other than a few long term goals in Europe that assume that development will always continue at this rate for the next 30 years.

This. These fucking people will throw down hundreds of thousands of dollars on a car so they can drive it twice and look at in their garage when the cover is off.
>muh don't want to damage the car
>not realizing that it is in worse condition for not being driven than if they took it out once or twice a week

Old Ford GTs with 0 miles are selling for double their original price, but that's an extreme example.

Its a meme ya dip

it's retarded I understand if it's some kinda one off supercar or something but an american muscle car is just not something that goes in a bubble yet they put them in anyway because god forbid you drive a car and have to change out an original factory numbers matching brake pad

I drove mine close to every day for the first year (6,000 miles), now I'm down to once a week.
That way, I got real use out of it, and now enjoy it occasionally, making maintenance less of an issue.

>double their original price
worse than the stock market considering a basic bitch MF doubles every 7 years. and with 200k cash a richfag will have better options than that...

cars will never be investments. at best they're break even propositions where a desirable model is still hard af to get a year after launch and you go sideways into a different car making it free for one year.

People go mad for that shit. My last car was a BMW M5 and i drove the ever loving fuck out of it. Looked after it, but I drove it hard like it was built for. When it came to selling it, I put in the ad that it was never used in the rain, never thrashed, always garaged, detailed every month, and I always used seat covers. None of it was true. I also hired a professional photographer to take the ad pics. Car was mint as I looked after it, so they could never tell. Got a massive premium for it, will be doing the same when I sell my RS6 kek

Yeah but boomers exist, so...

OR, OR user, we can buy all these nice ass cars from old boomers who are dying or their millennial grandkids who are too retarded to know the true worth of them. Think about it, demand goes down but the supply will stay the same.
The issue is all these modern cars with their fucking electronic ass massager that also runs the fuel pump, starter, and Twitter retina display. Cars from these past few years have way more points of failure with all the features in them, and won't last as long. The flip side is only people who have an interest in cars can keep the older ones running anyway

Did millenials even have a population boom? And considering how few have kids, I don't think there will be another boomer generation until the generation after millennials.

>thats not how vaginas work you virgin

t. roasted

I hate the fact that model of Vette and the F360 have the same tail lights.

>F360
wat

Foxbody shitboxes are getting losted at 4 grand in Virginia,aybe they're only getting 2500, but who knows with your neighbor. At any rate I would not count on post 93 econos to be rise, the regulatory schemes fucked everything into sameness.