Speed limits

Fellow burgers, why are speed limits still a thing on the Interstate?

Other urls found in this thread:

bizjournals.com/washington/news/2017/01/06/the-district-raked-in-a-record-199m-in-fines-last.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because cops need to give tickets to justify their existence

State wants its extortion monies.

Because you'd get somebody going 45 in the left lane because they felt safe without being told a maximum speed limit being hit by a fuccboi going 155 in his GTI while he was trying to record a Snap of his speedo

because americans can't drive

these

because even with safety™ normies still can't handle driving over 55 and blame gibberment every time they fuck up for not making roads "safe enough"

Road isn't designed for it, and nobody is going to bother policing the intersections. States would have to effectively spend money on compliance to increase the speed limit. Ain't no budget for that.

Then there's all the shit piles on the road, which will have the same speed limit as you.

About saving fuel and emissions. Blame the liberals and their fake global warming big business.

>Saving fuel
The government thought a 55mph speed limit would cut down on fuel usage. They were right, about 0.5% was saved. The 55mph speed limit remained as states benefited from non law abiding citizens - go figure.

>Road isn't designed for it
If we didn't have deer hanging out on the shoulder along I75N of West Branch, one could easily do 110-130 to the bridge.

Cellphones.

This is the only real reason.

This. It’s like income taxes. Unconstitutional.

They should only exist in school and residential zones.

This. Shit drivers, shit roads, shit cars.

I agree with this. I-77 through Ohio south of mile 80 to the border is basically vacant and can easily handle traffic at 100 mph+

Americans already die on the road all the time going 70. What makes you think 100 would be a safe speed?

People would die even if the limit were 30.

Americans would still manage to fuck up if the speed limits were 55 everywhere (and actually adhered to). Might as well crank up the speed limits so that 99% of drivers who don't have accidents can get around faster.

I wish we could get a much stricter state inspection that requires everything to be perfect, not just lights, wipers, good tires, and emissions, that would allow you to drive faster, or even bar you from the left lane and/or HOV lanes if you didn't have it.

That way only new cars and well maintained older ones could do the more dangerous speeds or pass people on the highway.

ill take the bait, who would fund the government and it's projects if they didnt collect taxes?

Very few compared to 70

Global warming isn't fake retard.

Private investors would build roads without government interference.

who pays the private investors? How do you make sure the contractors stay true to a road standard? How do you make sure there isnt a toll every time you drive onto another section of road?

That's really a pretty weak argument

Would you trust a retarded American to drive at 120mph while simultaneously tailgating you, texting on their phone, applying makeup and screaming at their 2.5 kids in the back seat?

Because I sure as fuck wouldn't.

It makes people feel better. No mom wants to worry that some guy in a F350 will be lawfully hurtling down a 2 lane interstate and smash her minivan full of kids into ground meat.

The interstate system itself is not built to such a spec to handle high speed traffic safely. The roads aren't very Big outside of metropolitan areas.

We in the US generally dislike regulation. And thats fine, but the price we pay is that we allow alot of rust buckets on the road, most of which cannot safely handle 80 let alone 120. But. We also don't want a bunch of unelected bureaucrats telling us what we can and can't drive. Very big on limiting power of government, just because it's bound to be abused and who knows maybe it'll be like some countries where you cannot drive a vehicle over 10 years old.

Better to not give that chance ever

Try actually working or running an organization before you ask rhetorical questions. How does anything ever get done?

What stops anyone right now from jewing you out, is the threat that someone else won't.

/thread

because dumb shit heads who dont know how drive, but know how to sue, drive.

>you think global warming is real and somehow he’s the retard
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....
Fuck you you fucking moron.
Yeah it’s getting hotter.
Shit comes and goes; next you dumb bastards will complain about a new ice age.

Show me eveidence that American police of any state or police of any American city with a population above 100,000 people is making significant revenue off of traffic tickets. Missouri scrapping its photo radar and red light cameras because they were too costly to maintain and bumfuck highways routinely having their speed limits raised across the country are both good indictations that speed limits do not exist purely for revenue generation.

Maybe don't have 20 lane highways with left lane exits then

This basically

The existence of one section of one highway in the entirety of America that you believe could safely handle traffic with no speed limit doesn't mean the rest of the road can or that it would be worth repealing the limit for such a small space.

(you)

It amazes me how little people know about this shit

what makes you think going faster is the cause of accidents?

the average american driver isn't up to it the way licenses are practically given away

human reaction speed is finite and generally shit.

A highway near me recently became a "smart road" where these gantries that have a signal displayed over each lane and a bigger screen on the side which tell drivers about accidents, lane closures, congestion, etc.

Could we expand this idea to make a varying speed limit? We could provide a separate speed limit for each lane, and adjust the speed limit based on conditions and traffic. A driver in the left lane at 2:00AM on a well lit road can drive 100mph. During rush hour, the right lane should be kept slow for merging traffic. It could also help keep slow drivers to the right.

Clearly you don't understand what and how global warming works.

>fuccboi going 155 in his GTI

Thats awfully specific. Did your 3k civic with a few simple mods get molested by a hot hatch?

Exhibit A

You’d pull over more people if you didn’t keep speed trapping in the same spots, Wilbur.

Exhibit B

>no one has responded to this

Exhibit C

are you retarded?

You're worse than the loli fags on /b/

I recognize that logo.
Our winters are terribad, and our roads shrink and expand much more than other places, causing bumps like that. Even then, they’re an anomaly. MNDOT is usually pretty good at spotting them, cutting it out, and filling the road with concrete replacement slabs.

This wouldn’t happen in states with more stable climates that would have roads comfortable enough for high speed.

I drive in hov lanes when by myself.
There is nothing stopping me.

That could happen at any reasonable freeway speed.

speed limits are about making money first and safety second.
a fool could see.

They are literally made to accommodate pants on head retard tier drivers.

Jesus.

Sorry I passed your bus, user.

If we lowered it to 15, we would get even less deaths still.

Some parts of the Interstate have varying speed limits told through screens(?). Washington and Idaho are where I saw them

> Why do we have speed limits?
> Posts poorly surfaced road
> Posts highway chase
> Posts liberal fantasy where animals besides women are driving

No arguments here

You do realise that when they raise the speed limits, people still speed right?

And also, just fucking google that shit ya bum.

Speed differences are more dangerous than speed alone actually, but with higher limits come higher differences. Americans aren't conditioned for this kind of dangers. To them highway driving is the most relaxed form of driving because they just gotta pick a lane and set the cruise to the same speed as everyone else, whereas in Germany highway driving is something that requires constant attention and care.

Pretty much this. My step dad was an officer for 30 years. It was made real clear to him that ticketing is a form of income. NOT a means to control and prevent automotive accidents. It is an alternate form of a tax. But we can't call it that, because that's unconstitutional.

This sounds to me like the retard traveling at 45 mph in the passing lane is more at fault than the casual instagrammer passing everyone in the same lane.

We were SO close with the Montana "reasonable and prudent" laws. I'm pretty sure speed limits were brought back not because of accidents, but because some dickhead kept complaining about not having an exact number to shoot for while driving.

Thus, we all have to drive at arbitrarily low, lethargic speeds even in the middle of nowhere until the sun swells up

The Montana thing is because fedgov had an autistic meltdown and said no more government monies until the speed limit is back.

>Gif of a cat driving is liberal propaganda
How many concussions have you had, and when was the most recent one?

Sorta pokes a hole in the theory of people being more likely to obey limits that are raised then.

>roads of any variety his country have speed limits

because if there wasn't every nigger with a license would go as fast as their car could possibly go and fiery car crashes would increase twenty-fold

yeah but look on the bright side, less niggers

>be American
>TAXES ARE THEFT (pay the difference in toll tickets and speeding tickets instead)
>OUR FUEL IS CHEAP (if you ignore the neglected road maintenance, environmental pollution of producing it at home, and cost of wars you had to fight for the petrodollar)

at least we don't have speeding cameras like europoors

>at least we dangerously get stopped on the side of the highway by power tripping cops for $180 tickets instead of comfortably receiving $30 tickets in the mail

More like $280 ticket AND a free beatdown if you're on a motorcycle.

>cop follows
>waits
>turns on lights
>you pull over
>get off your bike to park it so it can't roll away
>YOU DIDNT PULL OVER
>THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING NOW? RESISTING ARREST?
>GETONTHEGROUNDGETONTHEGROUNDHANDSHWEREICANSEETHEMSCUMBAG

Good it will cull the low hanging fruit.

>$30 tickets and paying 3x the cost for diesel / petrol
Yea, I'll keep my system in the states.

This is why Torque>Horsepower

Why need horses when Im not allowed to go over 80? At least let me get to 80 as fast as possible

Enjoy your potholes and hidden costs then. Also Americans inevitably drive so much more than us thanks to their garbage road planning that they end up spending a similar share of their paycheck on fuel.

Because while my car handles over 100 mph easily, most of the cunts who would go that fast will be in shitboxes that aren't made for it. As much as I hate speed limits they don't exist for the benefit of sensible adults who know how to control their car, they exist to stop immature manchildren from causing multi car pileups on a regular basis

Because you fat fucks are terrible drivers even at 70/80mph, and unrestricted there would be ten times the wrecks you have today

Maybe alternative reality you isn't a bitch that follows dumb laws?

I don't know about the guy you're responding to but since you missed the obvious joke, how have concussions have you had?

>2.5 kids
Nigga wat

Got a 2 on drivers test for speeding, I know a girl who got a 30 and was given a license, has been in two wrecks. Really needs to be more selective.

>be me
>brand new fuel rail and fuel pump
>testing it out making sure it works good
>open throttle all the way, doing about 80 in a 65, basically abandoned highway near my house
>lone Jeep cruising at around the speed limit
>about to pass Jeep
>swerves into my lane right as I'm coming up on him, no turn signal nothing to warn of my possible demise
>brake hard ABS kicks in which i'm surprised worked desu
>stay behind him until the next exit. no way i'm dying trying to pass this asshole

Basically burgers are spiteful assholes and we need speed limits to save us from ourselves.

also to justify police existence through indirect taxation i.e. tickets.

Basically so retarded ricers such as yourself can't go 110 in your shitty civic, lose control while taking a hit off your vape pen and kill 10 people as you and your worthless car hit everything as you slide into the ditch

being this new

Its how many kids the average person has

>pulling over on a motorcycle

Fucking this, what is wrong with those shitlords. If you want to drive slow knock yourself out but you don't have any say in how fast I want to drive. Degenerates do this same shit in my area.
A couple months ago someone did that but I was going around 90 and they whip their SUV in front of me while slowing down to 60. Good thing I have big brakes. Got about 6 feet from their rear bumper.
>>>Mfw I downshift lay on the horn then pass them in the shoulder (!do not do this it's bad!)

>speed limits

>fellow burgers
eurocuck detected

Cops keep criminals at bay too, you fucking criminal. They’re also great for many other things

Don't bother rationalizing with cops haters. It's a waste of your time

t. American

I thought this was just a Wisconsin thing. We are really vindictive asshole speed police up here. People have bragged to my face about how awesome it was to get in somebody's way when they were clearly trying to drive fast.

Seriously? That's just being a dick. You suck.

>cop haters

I don't hate doctors just because some of them perform gender reassignment surgeries. I don't hate all cops just because most of them write unjust tickets.

But their actions are still worthy of criticism and scorn.

>Show me eveidence that American police of any state or police of any American city with a population above 100,000 people is making significant revenue off of traffic tickets.
Sure:
bizjournals.com/washington/news/2017/01/06/the-district-raked-in-a-record-199m-in-fines-last.html
>The District took in $199 million in speeding tickets, traffic fines and other fees in fiscal 2016 – a record high, according to data from the District's Office of the Chief Financial Officer.

>More than half of that total — $107.2 million — came from the District’s photo radar system to catch speeders and other traffic violations. Another roughly $11.5 million came from red light fines and $78 million from other traffic-related offenses, for a total of 97 percent of all fines and fees collected.

> Be me living in Wisconsin
> Merging onto freeway behind some Cavalier doing a whole 30mph
> Cavalier goes straight into left most lane
> Finally merge onto freeway, passing Cavalier
> Cavalier suddenly appears behind me flashing lights
> Get off sometime later and stop at a gas station with Cavalier in tow
> herewego.gif
> A minute later the fat-ass in the Cavalier still can't get out of the car
> I'm already done filling up by the time she gets out of the car. She comes over and says I shouldn't pass on the right. And speeding is a crime.
> I said I passed her in the merging lane technically and was doing the speed limit. She would know this as she followed me 5 minutes right on my ass.
> This displeases the whale.

Some people man.

>most

t. Nigger

You were breaking the law. Unless you have some other defence then you have no argument for exceeding the speed limit

>$11.5 million came from red light fines
>$78 million from other traffic-related offenses

What the fuck is wrong with drivers in America?

Because our roads are terrible and 18 wheelers drive wherever they want.

If 18 wheelers were kept to 55 and not allowed out of the far right lane we could increase the limit on the rest of the road. I say enforce a hard 55 on the right lane and free for all on the rest.

Don't Australia and Germany already do something like this?

IDK but it seems like the kind of thing a first world country would do lol. Cull the weak and clear traffic by letting them off themselves/letting the fast people get off the freeway quicker but give soccermoms a lane to haul their kids safely. Also road maintinence.

It is the most efficient solution.

>Cop haters
All it took was one bad interaction for me to just ignore them to the fullest extent. Hardly comply besides the bare minimum now.

Non of the AM I BEING DETAINED and window cracked just enough to pass papers through.

Yeah.. As an American I kind of agree..

>My states roads (Michigan) are somewhat shit,
>No vehicle inspections so shit tires, shit cars, etc.
>Everyone always on the phone (texting, games, facebook)
>Winter in Michigan sucks balls for driving (counties don't do the greatest job keeping up on salt / plow, also salt rusts the fuck out of our cars
>bunch of fucking rednecks in their silver-ay-dooos or Derge Rammms going 80 to prove they gotz a gud truk, or grandma with hazard lights doing 30 mph head craned over the steering wheel like they're going to be executed via guillotine

>Live in Michigan
>Headed home in a snowstorm
>See a truck barreling towards the road I'm on
>No way he's stopping in time
>Realize I'm not stopping in time either
>I've never been t-boned before
>Massive parking lot on the right
>Drop second and give her hell
>Flicked it left and then flicked it right
>Rip the parking brake and managed to swing the rear end out
>Somehow managed to land in the parking lot facing the road
>Back on the road is the truck
>Stopped dead center of the road
>Drive up towards the truck looking at my sick skidzz
>He would've hit me had I not kicked the rear end out
>Tracks show if I stayed on my straight path he would've probably hit the rear of the car
>Kid and his teenage friends in the Chebby are staring at me
>Ask them why they're driving fast
>"Sorry I thought it was in 4wd"
>Literally all of my what
>Explain to them 4wd doesn't stop you faster
>"Yeah I'm sorry"
>Went and played in the parking lot and made a makeshift road course
>Kid in the truck looked completely shocked the entire time I was chewing him out for being a dumbass

I'd rather the northern counties didn't plow/salt and allowed use for at least rubber studs.

Unfortunately very few people around here realize just how great snow tires do in the snow.

The lack of inspections bother me as I share the road with vehicles I don't feel are road worthy.