Is it necessary to warm up the car before driving off?

Is it necessary to warm up the car before driving off?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xKALgXDwou4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No.

But my dad tells me to have the rpm go down 1500 and then drive off.

i give the car bout three fiddy seconds before moving then i drive like a grandma until the car is nice and warm

Modern cars are sufficiently heated by the time you leave your driveway, and also have protection mechanisms coded into the engine management that prevent you from revving too high if it's really cold and the engine takes a bit longer to heat up. Old carbureted cars need as much as several minutes to heat up in winter.

I usually do like this:
-Open up garage door halfway(it's manual double doors);
-Start the engine;
-Open up the rest of the doors;
-Reverse or drive out of garage without accelerating;
-Close the garage;
-Car is ready to go.

Fuck your dad.

The new RS5 is looking good.

10 seconds to build oil pressure, then drive it gently until warm.

One of my cylinders seems to not be firing on cold starts. The engine makes a very intermittent sound not sure how to describe it (br-br-br-br-br) - how the fuck do I make it stop? After idling like that for a few minutes I press the pedal and it idles normally on all cylinders.

Put a blanket over it at night so it doesn't get cold in the first place.

10-15 seconds then don't rev higher than 4000 till the needle gets in the half circle

In almost every owners manual it says 'do not start engine and idle til warming up, immediately start driving'

This does not mean hold gas down to floor as you start the car and rev to redline. I'd imagine by the time you have your seat belt on and are comfy in your car, your oil pressure is on its way to normal and your revs have dropped anyway.

You should be ok just starting and going however. The manuals say so

Its an injector problem

I thought the cylinder heads were ever so slightly out of shape when cold so letting the engine warm up had some- probably small- benefits.

Maybe that is just motorcycles though idk. It says to let the engine warm up in my Suzuki manual.

no

In case of diesel it could also be dead glowplug.

Not really. Modern cars will just restrict power and fuel flow until the engine's warmed itself up through regular driving.
In winter, I get best results from giving the car a couple of minutes for things to get working; run the heater full blast, front and rear heated screens on to help get the ice off and de-mist the screens inside.
If it's not cold enough to be icy, then I leave the car idling while I put my seatbelt on, clean glasses if needed, and do basic checks/pick a track to start off to.

So long as I don't floor the throttle for the first 5 minutes or so until the engine temperature gets to normal, it's fine.

Not with the Stinger because it's JUST, THAT, GOOD.

Could be a few things.
To get started, check:
Fuel supply (injectors)
Spark (dizzy, plugs, wires, etc)
Compression

If your compression is shit on one cylinder, it could be not firing until it warms up and the engine components heat up.

Depends on how cold it is.
Gotta get the oil flowing. Oil gets thick when it gets cold.

Theres a video where a guy put oil in an oven and another in a freezer. They both flowed at the same rate modern oil is a marvel of petroleum engineering. Still. Warm up the car

There really isn't a need for letting the car warm up anymore. Modern metallurgy has gotten to the point that the alloys inside your engine are extremely resilient and strong. Driving off immediately will not damage the engine, even the top end. Cams, lifters, etc in new engines use some serious metal. Even running without oil for the first minute or so of driving, they are and will be totally fine. The other systems really aren't affected by driving immediately, however it probably is a good idea to be light on the gas for the first 4-5 mins
If your really worried about premature wear, etc, get a high quality oil like an Amsoil Group IV.

If he's not gonna do it i will

Freiburger is that you ?

Ha-ha.
This is actually going to be a good car.

i just wait till i can wipe off the ice on my windshield

Engineering Explained says no.

youtu.be/xKALgXDwou4

audi?
No that piece of shit is designed to blow up anyway since all the poorfag brainlets who buy it used need to bring audi some money

Any other car?
Just keep it under 3k rpm until it warms up and it's fine.
Turbos?
Under 3k rpm until the engine and oil is warmed up and after heavy running keep engine on and let it cool down.

Rotary?
under 3k until warmed up then redline it at least once and let it cool once done driving
Rotary turbo?
oh boy

just drive off don't let it sit idle because oil will just be colder for longer meaning its harder to circulate as driving off heats the engine up faster

Usually I warm it until the needle hits the first bit of print on the dash, but its dependent on the car whether or not it runs cooler or warmer than normal

Well we're finally finished the build, and I was talking to my friends over at AMSOil and they said that a broken in engine with no power needs an oil very high in zinc. They recommended their 75W85 "Benchracer Pro" racing oil *pours it in from the moon*