What are your fueling habits Veeky Forums...

What are your fueling habits Veeky Forums, do you wait for the low fuel light to come on or do you fill up before that / as soon as possible?
Also how many km/miles do you get out of a full tank?

I know I can get 700km out of my tank, but I always fill up after I've done around 400km, I can't stand looking at the needle going past the 1/2 mark.

I try to fill up at 1/4 a tank at the lowest. No need to abuse my fuel pump

I generally just fill up once a week, unless I'm redlining far more than normal or driving around a lot more than usual. Then I just fill up when it seems I'm getting low.

Generally, I get about 230 miles on a tank, could probably get more than that, since I generally only use about 10 gallons, and it's a 13 gallon tank.
>2000 Integra LS

never lower than half full

basically every other day I put in $10

my gas gauge doesnt work so I fill up then reset trip odometer

when it rolls past 500km I refill

>his fuel gauge works
where do you think you are right now?

Never below 1/2, preferrably fill up before 3/4

Never know when I'll suddenly need to drive for 3-4 hours, while loaded heavily and towing a larger trailer

I fill up every time my tank gets to about half full.

I also get 9mpg, so I'm at the gas station at least once a week.

>tfw you know all the attendants on a first name basis

I used to refill once every 200km on my old shitbox that was leaking gas.
Now I refill once the calculated remaining range gets close to 50km.

Fill up when yellow light. Always.
Also, on friday I always let it at yellow light without refill and hope that my bro or so has to take the car so hes the one to pay. Also less gas less weight = better mpg

Im fucking jewish when it comes to gas

It mostly works yes, no trip computer or fuel consumption gauge though, so I always fill up till the pump stops and then calculate my fuel economy manually.
It can be about +/- one division wrong, and the last 1/4 goes down almost instantly, at one point it would always start at full and then drop to whatever the real amount was after 5 minutes of driving.

>Also less gas less weight = better mpg
Oh come on, how much of a difference can it make
Any money you've saved you'll spend on a fuel pump when it dies

always fill up whenever necessary to keep it from dropping below half tank.
optimally i wait till it's at half tank. but if im on a road trip an not sure where next stop is, i fill up sooner

What kind of hummer do you drive, user?

>I also get 9mpg, so I'm at the gas station at least once a week.
H-how? Do you drive an old soviet Gaz truck?

probably drives a modern amrican v8

I drive a first gen Ford Expedition, and I drive it as if it's an SRT Hellcat.

Or a Ford Ranger

Its amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it

Even still, I don't think I could reach even near that with my Toyota, not even with a full bed, full trailer, 35" mud terrains and low-range up a mountain road

I wish...

>I just want a silver ranger with a triton V8

When the light comes on, I keep driving until the range starts saying 0km, then I know I have about 30-40km left, so I fill her up between that moment and 40km later.

I have a 25 gallon tank but it hits E when 5 gallons are left. I try to fill it up just before it hits E, just to be safe.

Fill up once it gets around 1/4-1/8th of a tank. Helps that there's a petrol station right by where I work. Works out to once a month or so, unless I top off before a big trip.

The bike gets filled up between 1/2 and 1/4 of a tank, because it's a 125 and you can't just top them up because it won't trip the minimum purchase.

I've taken my car to 0 miles to empty numerous times, still has 1-1.5 gallons left at that point.

I can get up to 500 miles/800km on a tank. Best mpg to a tank was 39.4mpg so far. Car is rated at 26/35/28

It's a pretty good alpha/beta test.

Betas have a lack of confidence in themselves or their car. They are in fear of what people will say and would hate to be forced into a awkward social situation.

Alphas know themselves and what they're capable of. They don't sweat it. It's never happened before and it ain't about to happen. They let it ride

When the light comes on. I have another 2 gallons of fuel at that point and about 40 miles of range. I know its not good for the pump but its just habit at this point.

i get fuel at about 1/8 of the tank and fill up to 1/2 unless it's really cheap price or I know I'm driving a long way
if i suddenly get real busy i still have a fair bit of range at 1/8 and carry a 2 gallon jug for emergencies that i dump in every time i get fuel to keep fresh.

i think it's a waste to be carrying so much extra fuel all the time when there is a gas station within 25 miles easily pretty much anywhere otherwise you definitely will know you need it

>machines have an ideal operating state
>car engines have an ideal operating state
>Temp
>RPM
>Intake pressure
>Intake air/fuel mixture
>Exhaust flow (Scavenging or otherwise)
>physical orientation

with all these factors, an engine that sat in a closed and controlled environment would last the longer than the same engine in a car

>try to keep engine conditions as consistent as possible
>that doesn't mean you can't redline, engines are still tools to be used
>minimise the influence of other factors
>keep fuel pickup and pressure consistent for the Carbs/EFI/ThottleBodies

I keep it full because the intake prefers that
My car has a very vertical fuel tank, so I don't really need a Surge tank/Swirl Pot, but I plan to get one the when i rebuild/replace the engine and get Electronic Distributor timing re-tuned

I fill up at about a half tank depending on if I'm making a long trip or not. I usually plan fuel stops on longer trips to minimize fuel up times. I get about 500 miles to a tank of diesel. My wife on the other hand is perpetually running on fumes.

>Brand new car that tells me miles to E
I get nervous when it goes below 20, I think lowest I got was 9

Full to empty back to full every time. My car is running on LPG and it indicates when the fuel is running low. And occasionally I fill some Petrol, because the car starts on Petrol (although I override it, unless the weather is colder than ~5-10 Degrees Celsius).

Rangers get double that at the minimum retard

My ranger hits 14 maximum, 4.0 V6

usually when it hits 1/2, i'll fill up on the next convenient opportunity, but when it hits 1/4 (~350km), then it becomes the priority

Modern American v8s sans absurd ones like the Hellcat motor get like mid-20s, dude.

The virgin top off
The Chad fill up

I keep my company car full because I don’t pay for it. I try to keep my 300zx empty though and get fuel for when I want to drive it

The reason for this is 90s jap turbo cars were tuned on 98 octane from the factory, and are sensitive to knock. My knock sensor is broken so I rely on a wideband afr guage for lean condition warnings, however I keep the tank empty because 98 octane lasts about a week before octane drop starts to affect it, and low octane fuel knock is something a wideband won’t detect

Fuck the company car tho it’s a shitty Mazda 6 that gets the same fuel economy as my z for some reason

>he tries to round his gas off to the nearest .05 or .10
>he doesn't think about other purchases that will make it uneven anyway
>he doesn't think something with his fuel system will go wrong if he does it every time

I try to fill it up when it gets around half or one third full. I have a 75 litre tank, so it's not like I need to, but shit might happen and my car goes around 9 to 10km per litre.

Can confirm my '00 4.0 v6 5sp ranger gets mayyybe 16 at best. Was surprised how low the mpg was compared to tacomas and frontiers from the same era.

I got 17-19mpg in my '91 Explorer Sport 5spd. It was 2wd though.

Last three times I've refuelled the low fuel light came on as I pulled into the forecourt.
£20-25 gets me up to a little over half a tank of the high octane stuff.
Only filled up to over 3/4 when going camping and the car was full of camping stuff and a passenger and it felt horrible to drive with all the weight.
I usually get around 30-35mpg thanks to all of the traffic lights and islands around here. Further afield and I end up hooning around the more rural roads.

Very rarely do I let any of my cars get below 1/4 tank

a full tank of fuel weighs about the same as an extra passenger in your car

I fill up beefier it gets too low. Pic related is mileage. I get maybe 200mi a tank.

A full tank lasts for almost 1200 km desu

Right around 1/4 tank, 300 miles if I don’t have my foot in it, 170 if I do

My friends rotors and brake pads on his blazer looked exactly like that, needless to say it caused damage to his entire brake system and was going to cost $2,000 to fix

I fill at 1/8 tank because on the Focus with its inaccurate as fuck gauge and teeny tiny tank that means it's also empty.

Only when needle has been at empty for ~50km, and only fill 40/80 litres. I get about 250km that way, compared to 400 filling it completely

I refuel at every half of tank.
My average range is somewhere at 1100 km ~680 miles

The average mpg outside of the urban jungle is 50 mpg.

single most retarded thing i've ever read, where when and how in the world would you suddenly out of nowhere have to tow anything for hours and have absolutely no gas station around in a 3 hour trip radius ?

fill once a week just before or once the empty light comes on, around every 600km

He works with search and rescue in the mountains as far as I can recall, so that's probably legit. Sometimes a snowmobile can go where a hilux can't.

>inaccurate
Lol, what? Mine is fine.
>empty at 1/8 of a tank
No, mine has about a gallon and a half with the needle buried and DTE at 0.

>having to put gas in your car
Lol fucking plebs

1L of petrol is ~750grams and my fuel tank is 42L so 31.5kg if it's completely full, the difference between filling up half way and to full would be about 15kg, not worth the bother.

>constantly keeping the tank full and always ready for anything
>not alpha

within 40-50mi of the gas light coming on.
however, no matter where the final needle position is, be it slightly above or below the empty line, it always drinks no more that 15gal.
subaru says it has a 17gal tank.

I'm not that guy but I always keep the tank atleast half full because I never know when I have to do an surprise delivery.

Gas light in summer, half way in winter. They put ethanol in anything below 91 octane here, and that's dangerous in winter when it gets to the -10°C on average. So filling up when it reaches halfway is best practice.

Still get bout 300km before I have to fill up out of it. Gotta love Civics.

Also, never on mondays or fridays. Always queues then, which wastes fuel.

I get 40MPG when half my commute is in shitty traffic, filling the tank up full whenever it gets below 1/4. And that includes some hooning in the early mornings.
Maybe your car is just shit?

I'm a volunteer search & rescue worker with the norwegian Red Cross Search & Rescue Corps, and that sometimes has me travel 3-4 hours depending on where the missing person/rescue object is. I'll often also have to use the car in the area to search the roads, and when people need our services they rarely do it in urban environments

I know its quick to just stop and fill, but when someone is 20 miles away from a road with a possible femoral fracture/heart attack/just simply lost, its getting dark, heavy snows and no access for a helicopter then those five minutes of filling up are suddenly very costly

Most of them over exaggerate user, when my Landcruiser says 0 km left I can still do over 80 highway km

At around 300km on bike, bike has an maximum range of about 350km, but I don't want to get left stranded.

In a car I normally fill around reserve, don't know the proper range for my new car, first tank (filled up 35L) was drained in about 300km, now it's not even on 1/2 with 300km.

same tbqh

What gen/year is your Focus?

When my 2017 Chevy sedan was brand new, I tested the fuel gauge. I had a spare gallon gas tank in the trunk just in case I ran out since that's the gas I use for the lawn mower. When the needle got down to where the leading edge of the needle overlapped the start of the red bar by the E, I then refilled the tank at the gas station. It's a 15 gallon gas tank and the gas pump said 14.462 gallons went in to fill it.

I have not retested it since because I don't want to stress the fuel pump any more. So from now on, I simply fill up when it gets to the 1/4 tank remaining mark. That way, I don't waste time on having too many gas station visits.

My MPG has dropped quite a bit with this winter season after the stations switched to their winter gas formula (more ethanol?). My driving style is still the same, but the MPG is nearly 2.3 MPG less. So annoying. Using Arco regular, but I might switch brands and see if there is an improvement if my engine prefers a different formula. The sheeple lines at Costco gas are always so long that I never even bother going there.

i just do it to impress the qt cashier

>scavenge for $20 to "fill up" tank
>literally every time unless i can miraculously find $40, in which case I've won the lottery
>drive as fuel effient as possible

I love being poor. Ironically.

My fuel needle is all over the place, so I refill at 300 or so miles and reset the trip every time I do.

>Weekly $25 sacrifice to add a quarter tank to my f150
>Bought a motorcycle a month ago, commuted on it the last two weeks, topped it off for the first time for $5 today.
I knew i needed to buy this damn thing

>Maybe your car is just shit?
Rude.

I try to keep my tank above 1/4th full because otherwise it's a guessing game as to how much I actually have left

I get roughly 400mi out of a single tank, which I like very much.

I fill up whenever I get paid. Yes, sometimes I let the low fuel light come on and stay on for a day or two.

>volunteer
>he does for free what others get 300k starting
Y tho

My low fuel light can turn on any time the needle reads below a quarter tank, but will sometimes wait until the needle is on empty, so I just try to keep it above a quarter.

I drive a dorito, so not lower than a quarter of a tank before filling up

Because Norway doesn't have specialized professional search and rescue

The closest you'll get are the ones who do helicopter-rescue out at sea and oil platforms, or firefighters which in certain areas have some equipment to help the ambulance services retrieve patients from difficult areas (but this is a job most often done by volunteers), and the ambulance helicopter service (which most often just do car crashes and more serious stuff that is far away from hospitals, more critical and in terrain that is the combination of actually landable with a helicopter and hard to transport a patient out of

At my convenience, usually under a quarter tank.

-corolla

It's a 2009, so a MK1.5

All the way down until the light comes on.

It's a 40 L tank but the safety cuts off the pumps at ~36 L and I should get over 1000 km to a tank but I drive like a pissed off teenage girl so I average 800 km. I check this with my trip odometer, A for the total between last fill up B for for the total between the 2nd last fill up.

My logic is I can easily monitor long term fuel consumption without looking at fuel trim and shit. As well fuel pumps are easy to replace and not very expensive. I know it's not good to suck up the crack on the bottom of the tank but it's plastic and if the fuel ever dies..

Well I might as well by a bigger, stronger one. Then I might as well get new injectors and rail since they're 10 years old. Then I might as well turbo it cause I don't want to run rich and waste fuel...

I fill up around 1/4 tank. It's 13 gallons, and I went 85 miles before my last fill up

What kind of hypermiling car is this?

Shit I didn't know mightybenz was legit an actual good person. Right on dude

Fuel light comes on, give Indian guy at the station $10, pump in ~4 gallons, rinse repeat

>ranger
>Triton swap
m8wtf is wrong with u?
Triton a shit

if any vee8 is going in a ranger its a 302 m8

My fuel gauge is completely whacko and can indicate the fuel level on any of about 3-4 different scales, so I never really know my level without the OBD scanner. Because of this, I just have to have a good intuition for my fuel level, and whenever it feels low, I get gas.

I fill up at 1/4 tank every time. I usually go two weeks between fill ups. I drive a 20 year old saturn and I live just a few blocks away form my office so I don't commute.

I fill up at about 1/4 to 3/4. Filling your tank is bad for racing people at stop lights like a douchebag.

If it's under half and I'm going past a servo, I'll put a 50 in it

Usually I'll just let the bike bounce between my legs and listen for any gas swishing noises in the tank.

I fill up every 450 miles

what

what a car, user. what a car

When I can afford it.

Usually I'll just let your mum bounce between my legs and listen for any cum swishing noises in the womb.

I fill her up every fortnight.

I always wait until the warning light comes on. I use to push it further than that, but one time I pushed it so far that I'm sure I had less than 5min worth of fuel left from the way my car was sounding.

Chad fill.

I fill on premium if it’s less than 40¢ per more gallon than regular. I have no idea what makes ethanol-free premium off-road only, but it’s the same price as the ethanol premium, so I use it because I don’t believe the (((ethanol))) Jew, also turbo car.

>country taxes 80% of what you make
>government still can't afford professionals for basic services

What they hell are you guys doing?

>live in Texas
>hot as fuck
>fuel warning light comes on
>drive car later that night after it has cooled off a bunch
>warning light is no longer on

i drive my car til it runs out of gas everytime. i don't want any old gas in the car touching the new gas. my dash has a trip computer and I know i get 21.4 mpg, so I plan my driving to where I will run out of gas exactly when I pull into the shell. sometimes i have gas left so I park at the pump and step on the gas until it dies. then i go inside and say, "i need 15.5 gallons of gasoline on pump x" and pay with a 50 dollar bill and tell the kid to keep the change if he's white

What is a fuel warning light?

perfect