/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/6m76pl/benefits_of_using_retroarch/
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php?title=Nintendo_DS_emulators&curid=336&diff=15128&oldid=15023
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
youtube.com/watch?v=QzPVLA10i20&list=PLSc0oP_MrebpN3OeUxGlL6DuRNNlyJRiC
pastebin.com/ez1nsda9
pastebin.com/CF1tGr8y
romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23063.msg332517#msg332517
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I got a Ryzen 5 1600 on the way. Can I get a meme-free answer for emulation?

I'm not looking to be dissuaded, I'll be using it for more than emulation but just want to know how I fare.

Looking forward to PS3, at most.

How do I CD-i on RetroArch.
Send help.

>Can I get a meme-free answer for emulation?
no

:(

Is there a way to emulate the original version of the game? Don't care for the changes to the subsequent versions.

95% of things you throw at it will work full-speed. For some PS2, Wii U, PS3 games will be too slow.

what would cause some parts of the screen to be blurry like this? Using retroarch mupen64plus core.

>memearch

And what's the outlook look like?

I know single threaded performance isn't on par with Intel, but for instance RPCS3 is primarily and focusing on multi-threaded right?

If you are upset that somebody is electing not to use RetroArch, you might want to rethink your life a little bit. How privileged someone must be if they can spend all day worrying about such little things. If you have the gall to call Squarepusher a lazy nigger for not wanting to do WIMP GUI, then take my advice. Go fuck yourself. That is the one and only answer to these people. Go fuck yourself. Don't bother trying to reason with the unreasonable. You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into. Don't bother trying to defend yourself, the burden of proof is on the accuser. Don't bother arguing, don't bother putting together videos painstakingly pointing out why don't like it. It's a fucking dumb move, it doesn't matter. None of this matters. The people defending it on the basis of "retard friendly" are either shills or crazy. Do you want to waste your time on this planet arguing with people like that? No, of course you don't. Get on with your life. Do something else. It's about time everyone stopped indulging maniacs with even a second of their time. All they want is attention. Hell I feel bad even writing this. Crazies can go fuck themselves. Let them rant. Who cares? Ultimately the only thing that matters is the user base. Exercise your right as the master race, or if you maybe if you are the lazy one, stick with standalones. That's all it comes down to, nothing more, nothing less. You know what would be a better use of your time? Play one the original hardware again.

you probably have a filter on or something, I never seen this before

no. It doesn't do it until I get to that part. The rest of the intro is completely sharp and unaltered.

reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/6m76pl/benefits_of_using_retroarch/
:)

No one really knows, but emulation requirements rarely get lower.

This shit gets posted every week, why do the mods keep approving that?

Is this some kind of edited copypasta?

perhaps the plugin

Veeky Forums : "We Negotiate with Terrorists"

what plugin?

Is No$GBA really recommended for DS emulation?

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php?title=Nintendo_DS_emulators&curid=336&diff=15128&oldid=15023

It's pretty decent actually,about the same level as Desmume

>about the same level as Desmume
Not him, but since when?
The last time I tried it, NO$GBA ran like shit while being more inaccurate in comparison to DeSmuME.

Isn't there a new core being developed? Hopefully one with non-garbage IR rendering for its libretro core, unlike desmume.

no$gba is crap. cpu bugs, inaccurate graphics, awful static audio.

the same as desmume then i take it?

Where might one, who does not own a 3ds, find these files.

fuck off, staplebutter

last I checked the wiki doesn't include links to those files, just the system font.

>last I checked
Guess it's been a while since you checked then.

>emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Nintendo 3DS

3DS Fonts
Optional.
3DS Mii Data Archive
Required for some games. Used to be included in unofficial Chinese builds.
Other files may be needed by some games.
it's true tho.

>just the system font.
>3DS Mii Data Archive
>Required for some games
>it's true tho.

is there a gamecube emu that properly receives the proportional pressing of the Z button from the actual gamecube controller?

threadripper for rpcs3 at least

What does the wiki say about gamecube emulators?

it said nothing about my question on the gamecube controller; it was an issue i had 2-3 years ago when i tried.

it did say though, that i'm gonna find many useless idiots with worthless answers on a psedo-japanese imageboard.

What does this even mean?

when i press the z button on the gamecube, it's either pressed or not. it does not have the proportional increase like it does on the original gamecube.

think of the water gun in mario sunshine. full water flow if u press on Z all the way down, low water flow if you press it slightly

That's L and R. Z is the little purple button, and it's digital.
And Dolphin supports analog L and R.

ahh, thanks man. my bad on mislabeling the buttons. I'll try dolphin again then.

Thanks again.

Is there a better way to emulate the super gameboy? This is what pokemon looks like in retroarch using bsnes

Bizhawk

Look on the wiki. Gekko is the gamecube emulator you want to use for the z button issue.

bump

>Negative Nancy: The audio is broken.
>PJ64 Fans: No, it's not.
>Negative Nancy: Yes it is, just test these games.
>PJ64 Fans: Pfft, I just tested those games on this custom build of the emulator where i reverted a controversial pull request and the sound worked fine. Oh, and they also work fine if you download the source code for this WIP Azimaer audio plugin, build it, and then manually adjust timing values on a per-game basis.
>PJ64 Fans: I just can't believe people come in here spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Project 64 has no issue, and even if it did have issues, all you'd have to do is manually edit huge sections of the source code, build the emulator yourself, and then pair it with a custom-build audio plugin that has to be manually adjusted on a per-game basis.
PJ64 Fans: What these people coming in here spreading negavitity don't seem to understand is that Zilmar is all about proving a great experience for as many users as possible.

Yes, PC98 emulators exist.

You'll have to be able to read moon though.

the guy knowingly packaged malware and said "whatever - it's fine."
he's a legit scumbag no matter how you feel about pj64

Is sly cooper 1 supposed to be laggy?
I'm emulating it on pcsx2 with an i5 3570 in gsdx and I'm getting very jittery gameplay.

When Zilmar started bundling crapware/malware installers in the emulator there was an outcry, but a lot of "long term" supporters were totes fine with it. (With the exception of dsx-, who was in charge of PJ64's wiki at one point.) The loudest voices against it were dsx-, MELERIX, utterbull, and AmbientMalice, who posted "clean" versions of Project 64, and did a lot of damage control on reddit.

HatCat basically rolled over because money is hard and confusing and stuff, and if Zilmar was okay with it, he was okay with it, too.

Project 64 taking donations or taking shitware money is so incredibly shady because nobody else sees a dime. It's all going to Zilmar. It's different to Gonetz asking for money so he afford potatoes and wodka to work on GLideN64 more than a few hours each week. It's clear that he's asking for money for himself. With Project 64, there's this bizarre thing where Zilmar and Project 64 are the same, even though other people have contributed a shitload over the years.

here's a full game walkthrough video from someone who doesn't play on a hand-me-down pc, you can easily compare sections of the game. make sure to play in 720p60 quality.
youtube.com/watch?v=QzPVLA10i20&list=PLSc0oP_MrebpN3OeUxGlL6DuRNNlyJRiC

Without Zilmar, n64 emulation would be nonexistant today. He deserves every shady cent.

>all you'd have to do is manually edit huge sections of the source code, build the emulator yourself, and then pair it with a custom-build audio plugin
They are just saying that a different plugin works..

>Without Zilmar, n64 emulation would be nonexistant today.
Nonsense. His contributions are extremely significant, but 1964 predated PJ64 by years and made huge progress without him while being open source.

>dsx-
That guy used to troll other users who complained, until his own friend foolishly installed adware..

You have to build Azimer's yourself and the current version is a bit broken so you have to make adjustments. You don't just download Azimer's and drop it in the audio plugin folder. This is what happens when you delay removing closed source plugins for several years.

The arrogance of PJ64 forum members towards people who complained about them or their friends getting infected was absolutely infuriating. For all their faults, the mupen64plus dev team were just incompetent and clueless. They weren't actively malicious and hostile towards their own users.

>You have to build Azimer's yourself and the current version is a bit broken so you have to make adjustments.
Ok, well at least Frank shares links wherever he posts. Doesn't older versions of Azimer's work for those games too?

No, the older versions of Azimer's aren't compatible with PJ64 because some plugin initialization stuff was changed. The problem here, however, is Jabo's audio plugin is the root of half these problems. It should have been removed as soon as possible. Not left in place for 5 or more years. Fixing things on PJ64's end breaks things on Jabo's end. Get rid of it already. Stop releasing new versions of PJ64 that have even worse audio than the last version.

So I'm emulating on a CRT TV through a VGA > Component adapter. If I want to set up Retroarch so that it automatically changes to the proper resolutions when I load a new core, like switching to 256 x 224 when I load bsnes, or 320 x 240 when I load beetle-psx, is it possible to do that yet? Or do I have to stay downgraded to before SP took per-core configs out and never fixed it?

That looks like a HD remastered playthrough though, what makes you think it's emulated?

Best DS emulator for Android?

can't obtain leaked docs without paying nintendo engineers

why do smoke effects sometimes bog emulators down to a crawl? so odd playing a 3d game with tons of buildings and npcs walking around with no stutters whatsoever and then I go into a small room with a single dude smoking a cigarette and the little bit of smoke from his cig puts me at 5fps whenever it gets close to the camera.

>No, the older versions of Azimer's aren't compatible with PJ64 because some plugin initialization stuff was changed.
Ironically he rarely takes responsibility for his own bugs/regressions. His XA2 WIP2 plugin worked fine with save states on any version of Pj64.

The dude and his cig are so alpha that your emu can't handle him.

can't do automatically
just make an alias to load retroarch with a custom config and xrandr for each system

Having some issues getting DS emulation working on Retroarch with any of the cores.

Here's some pastebins what is happening if anyone is bored enough to try to help.

DeSmuME
pastebin.com/ez1nsda9

melonDS
pastebin.com/CF1tGr8y

I'm newer to this stuff, but if I had to guess the thing giving me problems is this

>[INFO] [Video]: Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames.

Some Googling reveals some people with a similar error saying it was a BIOS thing, but I downloaded both the retroarch bios pack from the wiki and the DS bios files and put them in the right folders. Might be a longshot posting this here, but if someone could help I would be super grateful.

The problem with Azimer is that he's never around. He appears, makes a few commits, and then disappears for 6 months. It would probably be simpler for Zilmar to code a simple audio plugin than to fix Azimer's at this point. Especially since Azimer's is very HLE oriented and HLE N64 audio is kinda pointless outside of documentation because N64 audio isn't performance intensive to emulate.

damn i hate you n64fags. i wish you would just die

Desmume sucks. MelonDS sucks for now.

The monitor refresh rate is not really an issue, and worst case you can force it from the video settings.

MelonDS requires them be named bios7.bin, bios9.bin, and firmware.bin

Nothing particularly stood out from the MelonDS log.

>damn i hate you n64fags. i wish you would just die
That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.

use standalone

>Desmume sucks.
You suck

Interesting, that's what I have them named.

Yeah, might have to. I was more looking to get it all working in retroarch as I liked the idea of having a TV+controller friendly menu with all my shit in the playlists with thumbnails, but I just can't seem to find what the issue is with the DS stuff. Just crashes instantly.

Thanks for looking though.

>melonDS is aleady pretty decent
All it needs is integer scaling now

doesn't it resize to fit? just do it yourself

Use per-game/core overrides. The old per-core configs were a huge hack and were never good. The overrides only store the changed settings over the main config, so you can just set the resolution and the refresh rate in those.

Also, doing mode switching between 50 different resolutions like that is a waste of time anyway when using a single superwide resolution like 3840x240 looks exactly the same, and can handle cases where the game changes horizontal width on fly.

Integer scaling is scaling by an exact multipler of the native resolution, like 1x, 2x and so on. It avoids certain scaling errors mostly noticeable on text.

Just play at 1x.

Yes, I know.

Just do it manually, moving your mouse pixels at a time.

See: ().

Sound issues aside, it's a really good emulator.
Thing is, its only use is on toasters that can't run Desmume.

>>>>where can I find these files?
>>>read the wiki (You)
>>they're not there though
>Pointless quote (You)
At least you could have tell him "Google".

The Pokémon Games worked perfecly on NO$GMB back in 2007 or so and they shown that pretty layout too.

DraStic and RetroArch's Desmume are your only options. I'd say DraStic is easily the best.

Do I pay for Drastic? What's our stance on paid emulators?

...Brother? Is that you?

What is this "we" crap, shitegobbler?

Well I can't code for shit so I try to contribute to the emulation hobby community by doing small stuff like reporting bugs (and editing our wiki! I contributed a little to the PSP pages).

>It would probably be simpler for Zilmar to code a simple audio plugin than to fix Azimer's at this point.
I doubt Zilmar would devote the time doing that. He might have to though, considering possible license issues. I never really looked at azimer's license, so who knows.

>Especially since Azimer's is very HLE oriented and HLE N64 audio is kinda pointless outside of documentation because N64 audio isn't performance intensive to emulate.
Yea kinda is a waste of effort. Doesn't azimer's still have issues with Goldeneye in HLE?

>Do I pay for Drastic? What's our stance on paid emulators?
"our stance"? None.
You are a human being and as such, you have your own thoughts just like everybody else.

In any case, DraStic IS worth the money. But you can always read the wiki instead, if you know what I mean.

Awwww...Hell. I can't be mad at a little chipper fellow like you. :(

I would say, for wiki purposes, recc'ing paid emulators is fine as long as they are truly the best option.

Just don't recc shit that bundles malware like PJ64. No emulator is worth that kind of dice roll.

>license issues
Everything related to N64 emulation has licensing issues. Everything uses information and code from the oman archive, which is highly illegal.

>In any case, DraStic IS worth the money
fuck off, exophase. Nice job profiting off years of public RE work.

Everything has licensing issues.

>DraStic IS worth the money
No emulator is worth money. Paying to pirate, and let's be honest that's what it is, is completely retarded.

>I doubt Zilmar would devote the time doing that.
He's done it in the past.
>He might have to though, considering possible license issues. I never really looked at azimer's license, so who knows.
Azimer's is GPL2. It's fine.

>Everything related to N64 emulation has licensing issues.
Don't ask, don't tell. I wonder about GLideN64, though. It is based on gln64, which didn't have a license. Now eventually it'll be so heavily rewritten the point will be moot, but that could be a sticking point someday.

When there's no better option, it's paying for a well built emulator or not playing that console's games. Like it or not, people IS willing to put money on a project of good quality as long as it lives up to the expectations, something that DraStic easily does.

>Everything uses information and code from the oman archive, which is highly illegal.
Not LLE audio. Otherwise audio would have been in better shape. I know Azimer did HLE so technically your statement still applies to his plugin.. But if someone did LLE, it would be legitimate.

I do find it ironic some devs that have intentionally used Oman's, use licenses.

Project 64 uses LLE audio by default.

>When there's no better option
There is: pirating the emulator.
>people IS willing to put money
Just because some people are retarded doesn't mean you have to be.

Looking at the comparison videos, the R5 is using OpenGL on a 970 and the i5 is using Vulkan on a 960.

How much does the graphics backend impact the FPS? I'll be going at it with a 1050 ti.

>mfw ZSNES fanboys

romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23063.msg332517#msg332517