7 speed manual

>7 speed manual
>765 horsepower
At what point does driving stick stop being fun and just become frantic? I feel like you'd spend more time shifting than accelerating in this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xSsNhjzm2QE
corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3991494-2016-z06-catches-fire-while-driving.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Driving stick was never fun, it was just the only option for extracting maximum performance out of a vehicle while maintaining 100% control over it. Modern automatics have obsoleted the fuck out of manual shitboxes.

It's pretty hectic with a bit over 500hp. I'd probably go automatic in something with more power than what I currently have.

GM said something about the manual being better than the automatic in the new ZR1.

My literal face when

Because the Corvette auto sucks and it doesn't fit the Camaros 10-speed

t. Uncoordinated millenial with a vee ayte dodge challenger

6+ speed for anything but towing i fuck tarded and the stupid diff and gear ratios/spacing make all their gearing too fucking tall because much mpgs

In a racetrack you may have a point, but that thing must have such a great torque that on a dayily driving you probably don't need to shift that much.

People that choose manual over automatic do so because they like It, not because It's better or worse.

Daily*

Will it be the first sub-7 minute manual car?

It would be pretty embarrassing if it weren't.

Thats what chevy is claiming. They're going for sub 7s.

>being able to stay closer to the rpm where the engine makes maximum power is retarded
????

it'll be a dog leg so most of the time it won't make much functional difference apart from making the second-third shift much easier. It'll probably move off in second incredibly easily anyway with first only being for cold/hill starts

The C7 is not a dogleg, neither is the 7MT in the 911. Only Aston makes 7 speed dogboxes.

>dogbox
Thats a type of transmission, not a shift pattern you mong

You are correct and I'd say I concede, but this is Veeky Forums so fuck off

stay btfo

BAHAHAHAHA ur n idiot

Inbred amerishit detected.

>tfw no midengine announcement
This corvette gen started with a bang but the Z06 and Heat sink issue really let things down

>feel like you'd spend more time shifting than accelerating in this.
No, you do that in a 90hp shitbox that runs out of torque in first gear at 10mph and second at 22.

>american anything

This is what modern fags actually believe in

Can we take a moment to appreciate just how fucking cartoonish this supercharger is?

long gearing goes a long way

>765 horsepower
>13 radiators

Meanwhile a 1500hp Bugatti has 10 radiators

>almost 1000Nm of torque
It doesn't even need gears, you could do track days/road trips/coffee runs in 3rd gear and never have to change

Bugatti probably has larger heat exchangers and more surface area overall. At least the ZR1 doesn't weigh as much as a mountain.

I imagine a lot of them are just due to packaging. One on the left, one on the right etc. Every liquid in the car is being cooled, not just the coolant.

you hardly need to shift at all. you just have a lot of options.

12 of those radiators are probably for the cupholder cooling. I can't imagine Chevrolet having learned from the shitshow that was the Z06

Show me on the doll where the bad Z06 touched you

I'm okay now. They took it away. It will never do me any harm again

manual stop being fun the instant you drive a good modern car that will btfo manual in every situation

this post should be a banner

Manuals may be fun to drive but there is no objective reasoning to say that manuals perform better. The only thing manual shills can say is “muh feels”

If you have 2 identical cars, except one is manual and one is automatic, the automatic will win every time

Everybody knows top of the line autos at better. "Muh feels" is a perfectly valid argument, however.

the auto 86 is way slower than the manual and dont tell me that you would non ironically buy a cvt wrx over a manual one.

>7-speed manual

How does that even work? Is there some sort of restriction device (like a reverse collar) for getting into 7th gear?

I've seen plenty of videos where supercars are given full throttle suddenly and take a good second or two to start dropping gears. This is inherent to the way control is implemented and profiled.

Autos will never be as good as a human at predicting which gear to go into, they'll only ever be as fast as we can make them react. Control is getting pretty good tho all considering.

The top 2 or 3 gears will be OD gears. If you are doing any kind of spirited driving or driving in the city, you're only going to be using the first few gears anyway.

No, autos are designed to shift at the most optimal point. Human judgement will never match a computer system in the category of shifting

fpbp

It stops being fun when you start being a pussy.

>huge wing
>huge splitter
>huge side skirts
>air ducts everywhere
>no diffuser
?

Sure it's been said, but outside of a track or cruising on a freeway, you're only going to using probably 2 and 3

Yes, as in it will be the first car to catch fire in less than 7 minutes on its first lap of the Nord.

So it would have a lot in common with the GT-R right?

Except computers can't predict what the driver is going to do. Autos are better in a drag race because they can just shift at red line but for corners downshifting before you slow down is faster, something a computer can't predict

Some modern supercars like the Ford GT are already using GPS data and accelerometers to read your driving line and predict your actions, so it can know exactly how to dial in the transmission and suspension for corners. Welcome to the 21st century.

How shit is the powerband to need 7 gears?
I'd personally rather not have all of this shit tracking me for an extra 0.2 seconds off my lap times

The gears are for EPA testing. For track use you don't need anything besides 2, 3, and 4. I drove my friends 17 Camaro SS, the engine has the exact same pull at the bottom, middle, and top, the powerband literally couldn't be any better.

>carry 4 extra gears so you can pretend that your 700hp car is fuel efficient
Lmao

Blame faggots like California and Europe for that bullshit. Idling down the highway IS comfy though.

LOL, m8. My shitbox 1995 commodore with 4 speed plus overdrive does that.

Clap Clap. Your 200hp shitbox isn't hitting 200mph anytime soon.

300hp. Also it only cost $5000 and can carry my dirt bike.

It's because 6 and 7 are just overdrives, on most racetracks with that you won't need more than 5th

Manuals are objectively more efficiently from a conservation of energy standpoint. It looses less energy keeping its masses spinning. Also it's doesn't have a parasite that is a torque converter where that applies. Traditional autos are only more efficient though having extra gears, formerly manuals had that advantage. Dual clutches are quicker but are noticeablely less smooth than slushboxes, manuals or CVTs. CVTs would honestly be the best transmission if they could be made to handle high torque loads. They can keep you are peak power all the way to max speed, they are small and light, and can keep the engine on the most efficient part of the power band when not needed. They would also need to be tuned to not want to shift like a old granny car.

This person is objectively correct. Not sure why everyone disagrees. Something about needing a stick in their hand or something.

It's exactly what you would expect dipshit. They add another row.

If there are more gears, it's because they got smaller and lighter to fit in packaging similar to previous transmissions In size and weight. Go be dumb elsewhere.

Nigger, a more complicated gearbox costs more and provides more failure points. Why not just throw it 100 of the little fuckers?

could be worse

>17,500 redline
>500 rpm powerband
>14 speed sequential transmission

3 rows is logical, you can't miss a shift
>left
>center
>right
This is all fucked up because now you have
>far left
>slightly left
>slightly right
>far right

top two gears are likely overdrive for hectic highway mpgs
rest are close ratio

It's almost as if you are too young to remember 3 and 4 speed manuals. Educate yourself and look.

Drive one and you'll find it's as natural as a 6 speed. Trying to determine how something feels from looking at a picture is not going to get you any idea.

Kinda like this, I guess

youtube.com/watch?v=xSsNhjzm2QE

Because no one makes gear boxes for consumer cars with so few gears. Why would they make a transmission that they can't out In anything but a race car. Also a bunch of tiny gears would be far too weak.

>Nobody makes consumer 5 speeds

>95 commo
>300hp
LOL enjoy getting shit on by integras fatty

Nigga, 304 can make plenty of horses.

>not street legal

whatever "sub 7 minute laptime" GM is claiming it will get is irrelevant

the GTR wins again

sperg more cuckold

corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3991494-2016-z06-catches-fire-while-driving.html

Find one in production that can handle atleast 500lbs of twisty then.

Powerglides will handle 3000+hp of transbrake.

a powerglide isn't a 5 speed tho

I used to love driving stick until I moved into a city with high traffic.Tired of being in stop and go traffic all the time. Got DCT after 6 months. You either have to be an autist for manual or too broke to switch for an auto in high traffic cities.

>hydraulic braking
OK
>hydraulic steering
OK
>automatic shifting
THE BUCK STOPS HERE

i just want a sequential gearbox

My measly 200HP could really use a 7th gear for flat highway and high speed highway. The existing 6 gears are mostly OK where they are.

Fuck off with this 7th gear meme, games are becoming harder because I'm used to 6 gears

Hydraulic clutch was your next logical step

idgaf. IRL cars are more fun than gaems.

>average Veeky Forumstist taking a shit after driving mom's corolla

We ain't predicting shit tho, it allows the ecu to follow selected appropriate profiles which are predefined and anything outside those predefined boundaries are amended on the fly.
>cruising round back roads
>suddenly stomp it
>computer waits to see if it was a mistake, no ok so switch to aggressive profile
>drop gears and expect sudden changes
>now in 4th, corner coming up
>slam brakes, engine rpm drops
>wait till rpm drops below optimal shift
if you haven't hit below the hysteresis then you're out of luck and no shift occurs
>ok shift now
>already around corner, shift may occur when you needed power rather than busy braking

It is reactive, not predictive. Just because it knows you're on a winding road and flooring it doesn't mean it will shift before corners, rather it will assume you are very likely to require a shift at high rpms intentionally.

Not here to say auto should not exist, but they simply can't do the impossible. Btw I study advanced control and have worked in the auto industry so I'm not 100% talking out my ass.

>not wanting frantic action when intentionally trying to go fast

Gay.

>Not here to say auto should not exist, but they simply can't do the impossible. Btw I study advanced control and have worked in the auto industry so I'm not 100% talking out my ass.
isn't the answer just tiptronic and related semi-auto systems with paddle shifters.

ITS SO FUN TO PRESS A THIRD PEDAL

ITS THE REAL DRIVING EXPERIENCE

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

>it's so fun to sit perfectly still with no input required while the computer does everything for me

Lose = lost
Loose = ur mum

Honestly at that point why not just go paddle?

real human beans like you also reject hydraulic steering and braking, right.

One word : reliability.
(of course i'm talking for the same cost)

>900hp
>6 speed manual
How is this possible?