So I got curious and test drive a 2017 Toyota 86, base model manual, and I'm wondering just one thing

So I got curious and test drive a 2017 Toyota 86, base model manual, and I'm wondering just one thing.

How the fuck are people okay with paying that fucking much money for such a little amount of car? That fucker had a $28,000 sticker price. There was nothing about that car that was really special or attention grabbing. It was lackluster acceleration, decent braking, and decent handling, but who wouldn't expect decent handling in a sub-3k lb car with 200hp?

Those of you that own these things, what the fuck were you thinking buying it? What about it said "yeah that's an acceptable amount of money for this little car!"

Other urls found in this thread:

toyotaofcharleston.com/new/Toyota/2017-Toyota-86-863ac4e00a0e0ae965f9dd848ad19ca3.htm
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/1989-nissan-240sx-hatchback/6390914406.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They are too young and dumb to understand how little car they are buying.

I had exactly the same impression you did when I drove a 14' BRZ. $32k for this?! Are you kidding me?

I wouldn't have even considered one if I hadn't come across a cheapish used one while looking for something to replace my previous car that had shat the bed.

What I will say is that it feels decidedly better when you thrash it. It can definitely be lackluster if you're not pushing it.

This car to be exact

toyotaofcharleston.com/new/Toyota/2017-Toyota-86-863ac4e00a0e0ae965f9dd848ad19ca3.htm

>little amount of car

Miata.

There was also a 860 Special Edition in the showroom in the orange color. If you want to go have a serious laugh pop the hood on one of those fuckers. I've never seen a brand new car that was orange and had a white engine bay with fucking horrid overspray everywhere. That's the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen.

wat

For what possible purpose did they do that? My engine bay is the same color as the rest of the car like, you know, everybody does.

Everyone standing around it was surprised. The salesman didn't know that was a thing. Toyota apparently did not give a fuck. $31k price for that shit.

the brz can be had for 26k out the door not sure why there's a premium on the 86, at the base price of 25k for the 17' models that still doesn't seem overpriced considering i've got a 2013 model and not much has changed. There isn't any other car like it aside from the Miata which is priced the same, it's not a perfect car but for my use i'm happy with it. No reason to get the higher trim models without any extra power so the base trim that happens to be lightest is smartest move. The acceleration isn't great as you should have known, breaking is good (alot better with hawk hps pads),it's got nice handling with it's responsive heavy steering and nice grip to the ground. What did you think of the seating position OP, i'm surprised you didn't even mention it.
this is a common thing ONLY for that color, sad to see how little care went into that "special edition"

seats were good I thought. Maybe I didn't adjust everything but I thought the actual seating position was okay if not a little high

>if not a little high
heh, I thought I was the only one who thought so. It seems so common for people to talk about having to clamber down into it and your butt is 3" off the ground, but to me it feels sort of nothing special though well-suited for the car. I'm 6'4" btw.

Turns out to be comfortable for an all-day haul, too, which I was a little worried about at first.

i think they're great, then again i wouldn't know what would be better anywhere near that price offering a low hugged feel connected to steering wheel and cluster. Was the test drive quick or did you get to rev the piss out of it a bit

I got to floor it to get on an interstate

>I'm happy
>I'm dumb
>That means the car is great!

I bought mine for $12k
Buying these new is retarded, just like tripfags and their opinions

nice argument, tell me why my car is shit

Its that weak ass boxer
Rev it past 4500 rpm at all times

>falling for bait

>Its that weak ass boxer
just because it isn't perfectly tuned out the box doesn't make it shit. a tune is all it needs
>he replied to me
>i totally baited him guys he's so angry!

You paid 26k for a car that has pretty much the same specs as a 1990s beginner level sports car you could have bought for 4k.

If you are scared of changing a flat, or maybe some normie that doesn't really know much about cars. Yeah I could see making that kind of decision.

But instead you get baited by the industry and grossly paid more for less. The car itself isn't shit. Bit what it represents is. As for the 'automotive enthusiasts' that gobbled up the idea? You are what you eat.

UH
I'm pretty sure you drove a wrecked car.

And yet nobody complains about new Miatas. Funny, that.

Nigger it was brand new sitting in the fucking showroom

Buying new is always retarded, the newest I'll buy is two years old

>You paid 26k for a car that has pretty much the same specs as a 1990s beginner level sports car
>you could have bought for 4k
what's the basis on that the 200hp? the only dumb one here is you
>instead you get baited by the industry and grossly paid more for less
oh, yeah for sure i don't want a new light rwd car with infinite amounts of aftermarket to pick from that isn't falling to pieces after boost.

all the orange ones are that way

I got a brand new 2017 civic 1.5 sedan for 4k under sticker price

looks kind of cool desu

sure if half assed paint jobs are your thing

It's OK because I keep making threads about it saying "you can't name one thing wrong with the car except the biggest reason" so it's ok if I keep making threads about it

>I-it came from "japan" and c-cars made there don't need to have big engines!
Meanwhile honda, mazda destroy it every time

>But you can mod it though
And you can mod anything else?

>It's fun though
And an S2000 or a miata isn't...

you now realize you are getting put down not just by competitor sports cars but by average sedans as well

kys if you keep posting this shit

So I got curious and test drive a 2017 Miata, base model manual, and I'm wondering just one thing.

How the fuck are people okay with paying that fucking much money for such a little amount of car? That fucker had a $25,000 sticker price. There was nothing about that car that was really special or attention grabbing. It was lackluster acceleration, decent braking, and decent handling, but who wouldn't expect decent handling in a sub-2500 lb car with 155hp?

Those of you that own these things, what the fuck were you thinking buying it? What about it said "yeah that's an acceptable amount of money for this little car!"

who here says this? OP went and testdrove one and made a thread to share some thoughts.

>what's the basis on that the 200hp? the only dumb one here is you
I've driven S13's, S14's and FC's as well as FRS/BRZs there really isn't much between them. Similar sized car with similar suspension geometry, similar power, similar performance, similar build quality.

> i don't want a new light rwd car with infinite amounts of aftermarket to pick from that isn't falling to pieces after boost.
I mean sure, go prance around with your head up your ass and pretend the KA-T isn't a well proven setup or that S cars don't have have an aftermarket.

Or you know what you could do that would actually impress me? Just be honest and say you wanted something new.

Some baitposter who made a shitpost thread a few days ago.

i could ask the same question

>convertible
>needs chassis bracing and a roll bar as soon as it rolls off the production line

The ND is supposed to be decently stiff, a roll bar is just an additional safety measure. Stock suspension tuning is awful, through.

Mazda never went around claiming the MX-5 is god's gift to car culture. It's just a perky little roadster for frumpty people.

This car does extremely well on the track given its power.

The only people criticizing it are stop light racers.

Who in the fuck said the toyobaru was “gods gift to car culture”? I own one and I didnt think that before or after getting it.

tell me more about your track day, bro

I drove a friend's 240SX a few times back in the day and maybe it was just that it needed new shocks, but it felt different and more connected somehow at low speeds. Also it had a proper NA pedal feel and rewarded you with more and more torque as you got it into the power band.

But yeah overall I would say that it's about the same class. Decent modern reincarnation of a sweet high school / college car after you get yourself sorted out on your first shitbox.

What else can you get brand new (don't be retarded and compare new to used) that's remotely sporty for that price aside from a Miata?

>I've driven S13's, S14's and FC's as well as FRS/BRZs there really isn't much between them
except those are all old tin cans beaten to shit, 134hp is not 200hp. Although they're nice cars to work on and restore it's alot of problems and bullshit i don't want
>go prance around with your head up your ass and pretend the KA-T isn't a well proven setup
very few actually do this, everyone swaps.
>Just be honest and say you wanted something new.
if i didn't mind an old shitbox i would have bough one, that much should have been clear for you. This is as clean as it gets for 240's in my area fuck all those problems
>sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/1989-nissan-240sx-hatchback/6390914406.html

You can get an ecoboost mustang or v6 camaro/challenger, but those exist in a different market. Miata and 86 are the light, handling focused niche, American cars offer far more power but weigh far more.
Literally who the fuck says this?

A V6 Mustang :^)

>buying cars new

>tumblr

>LOL you got a (insert non V8 mustang here) Mustang?? What are you poor??

-Veeky Forums

>pics from Veeky Forums

>pics recreated from memory in paint

Toyota did

They advertised it off the lineage of the AE86, everyone of their commercials is some fucking race car driver hooning it fast around the corners and shit

kek, independent rear supsension btfo

Yeah okay here we go. I get it, you were born in 2000 and the idea of buying a 1994 car scares you.

Also, nice job cherrypicking the KA24E. Most S13s/S14s sold here got the DE which makes pretty much identical torque to the boxer in the BRZ.

Personaly I don't like people like you, willing to trade authenticity for the veneer and social cred of newness. It's the reason I moved out of the bay. Don't get me wrong, im no luddite, I think the 2015-17 Mustang GT is one of the best car's ever in that market segment. But for something new to impress me it has to bring something new to the table, not just be a remix.

>But yeah overall I would say that it's about the same class. Decent modern reincarnation of a sweet high school / college car after you get yourself sorted out on your first shitbox.
I get that is exactly what it is for, but that is what bothers me so deeply about the car. You are supposed to progress as a driver. Cars in the 150-200hp range are a great place to learn when you are 16-20 years old. You are supposed to buy them used for $3k from people that bought them new for the style.
But once you get out of college and have money to spend, you should be at the point where beginner cars just aren't a challenge or interesting anymore. You should be dreaming about used Caymans, FDs and M3s. Cars that will keep growing your skills, the next challenge to master.

>t-tuhyoter showed some commercials of it doing the only thing its good fer
Tell me where they explicitly state that and I won’t reply again.

Get a Lexus RC instead I guess. Its not like Toyota actually cares about anything else besides Lexus and trucks these days.

>once you get out of college and have money to spend
That I think is where this ideal falls apart. I'm well out of college and I could go buy a new M3 out of pocket if I really wanted to, but I'm more of a cheap thrills guy and save the money for other things. So where I'm at is doing having quick grins in a BRZ for a bit while I do some looking around to see if I want to buy something of a categorically higher class or just supercharge it or something, call it a day, and turn my attention toward other hobbies.

Racing looks like loads of fun but, hey, so does flying lessons. There's only so much racing to do on the way to and from the grocery store, or on the odd empty twisty scenic route.

I personally didn't like my old FRS. I bought a 2014 FRS, it was used, 1 year old and had just north of 3000 miles on it. I bought it for 20.5k out the door after a test drive. At first I really liked the car because it was so nimble in my neighborhood roads but that novelty quickly wore off as I started to discover flaws in the car that made them selves more apparent later. First it was the rattling, the interior is a lot of cheap plastic bits that kind of look like it came out of the early 2000's. The rattling really made its self audible at 50mph+ or on not-so-smooth roads. Next was the speakers, after a certain point the road noise will make you want to turn up the volume to compensate but the speakers are so cheap they'll just start resonating and droning. It pretty much makes any music with any heavy base line awful to listen to. Couple that with the plastic rattling its quite an awful experience. More on the road noise, theres a lot of it. Idk if they fixed it in later models but there was definitely a lot in mine. Theres very little insulation that results in it being very difficult to hold a conversation with the passenger at high speeds.

Performance wise the car was very nimble but later I discovered that acceleration was very poor. The car doesn't pull well, the acceleration feels unusually sluggish even though it can do a 6 second 0-60. It can't climb any kind of hill at all, its pretty poor to accelerate on any kind of incline that you'd call a hill. I learned later about the "torque dip" meme and why it was so bad and it was because of this. For what it was, 20k was a pretty good price but this car has some glaring flaws with appearance and performance.

Holy shit you're thick, Toyota literally advertised this off the AE86 and any legacy it had. It is literally advertised as a performance car and it doesn't take toyota explicitly saying that for them to market it that way.

>barely out paces a NC Miata
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Why again do people pay 26k for an FRS/BRZ?

Miata is a small Jap convertible with the spirit of small Brit roadsters. It's supposed to be little car.

I'm glad people like you that just want to dabble in the hobby are buying the car. It means there will be a good supply in the used market later on.

Maybe I have learned something here. Maybe the car is really just for people that only want to get their feet wet.

That's my hope as well. I was pretty disappointed with the selection of cheap used manual RWD toy cars within 100mi when I needed something right away. I enjoy wrenching, but when the field available to poorfag kids is mostly entering the "old car problems" stage of life, that's not a good sign.

I also hope other manufacturers take a stab at the market segment. I lol hard at Kia Stinger, but actually that's a good sign that somebody had the nuts to give that a shot.

>Personally I don't like people like you, willing to trade authenticity for the veneer and social cred of newness
Holy shit so much projecting in this post, 240sx's are shitboxes in this day and age and in 25 years all BRZ's will be too. Why are you assuming and making bullshit implications with no basis around it? Just because I wanted a new car that suited my needs performance and looks wise? I don't want to spend 6k for a 240 or any other cool shitbox that will have problems up the ass. I don't have tools or time to work on them and sure as fuck don't want to pay someone to fix every tiny issue it has

So in other words they never said it. Thanks for clearing that up, retard.

>i didnt like that it wasnt a luxury car and i fell for the torque dip meme
Well what did you get instead?

Not to intrude but you should’ve just said “you don’t fucking know me” and just left it at that

>I don't know how advertising it
>if toyotoa doesn't explicitly say this is a cool car then its automatically not

Not wanting your speakers to resonate or your shit plastic interior to not rattle is not "luxury" you fucking moron, a fucking civic or corolla has a better interior

I think it's only fair I reciprocate with an identical wall of text

>civic or corolla has a better interior
Lol

The civic does. Aside from the 9th gen, Honda has always done a better job at cheap interiors over toyota.

it really doesn't register to most buyers minds that they are spending $30k, in their minds they are only spending $3-4k on the down payment

the $400-500 for the next 60 months isn't a big deal to them, because it's "only" 50% of their pay check and they'll have money left over for mods.

and there's no need to worry about depreciation because they are definitely for sure going to turn it into a 400hp rocketbunnied car that they'll keep forever and ever

yes, this is literally how retarded most toyobaru buyers are

$30k isn't that much for a car now. About what an AE86 cost accounting for inflation.

RWD sports car.

Cheap to maintain.

No point of having a fast car when traffic is shit.

>No point of having a fast car when traffic is shit.
But there is a point to having a corner where it's so slow you want to start kicking thing and screaming helplessly at the sky because the problem isn't even that they need to merge but that they don't know there isn't a merge point.

But you know this. So you just go around the corner on the inside pointing almost at a 90deg angle to the vehicle in front of you, all 15MPH of it. Fuck the police.

Dude in back takes about a minute to catch up.

you're literally describing anyone buying a $30,000 car in 2017 thanks to cheap and easy auto loans

pretty much, most of the people criticizing the car never stepped foot on a road course or even a autocross event. they're usually ridiculously fast for the criticism they get

Veeky Forumsntaro here,

this literally sounds like my pontiac g5 2009 (bought for 5500, with 50000km)

Road noise like a bitch, rattling. No complaints about the speakers, but damn the road noise makes it sound like I'm driving on winters.

>And an S2000
I don't mean to interrupt, but adjusted for inflation a 2002 Honda S2000 sold for the equivalent $45,000 today. So you can't really compare the S2000 to the BRZ unless you're comparing new vs used, which is dumb in the first place. The BRZ is certainly underwhelming for the price in this era, but it's not a fair comparison to make against the S2000.

"That much money"
You realise just how fucking cheap they are for a new car, with a 100k mile warranty?

There's barely a half dozen cars in that price bracket that are aimed at people who wants a sports car

Mustang is the superior touring car, Miata is the superior driver's car

there is no reason to buy a gt86

>people in this thread
>mad
>must have no credit

Not everybody wants a used s2k with bugers from the early 2000'S in it.

Your arguing over a pleab priced vehicle.

>nsx 160k
>gtr 180k

And the brz is over priced?
Think not

Because different people have, surprise, different needs and resources.

I bought mine because it was the best car that matched what I wanted, maybe I would buy something else if I was living in another country *cough*netherlands*cough*

The mx5 formula has already been well established. No one was expecting anything different with the new model.

Toyota really fucked up the gt86. Everyone wanted the wrx engine, everyone expected the wrx engine, everyone says it's an underpowered piece of shit because it's slow as fuck.
If they ever do a mk2, it had better fucking come with a wrx engine.

How did they make a 300hp Camry but fucked up the 86 so bad

>>I settled: the post
>>well it’s the best I could get I guess.
>>But that’s ok I accept it

>Miata is a roadster
>Toyobaru is a "sports car"

>In 1916, the Society of Automobile Engineers defined a roadster as:
>"an open car seating two or three. It may have additional seats on running boards or in rear deck."[4]
>Additional seating in the rear deck was known as a rumble seat[5]
or a dickey seat.[6]
>The main seat for the driver and passenger was usually further back in the chassis than it would have been in a touring car.[2][5]
>Roadsters usually had a hooded dashboard.[7]

They're all retarded terms. I prefer to call the Toyobaru a "sporty car" since it's basically a cheap slow thing designed around a basis of figuring out why cars used to be fun.

>used to

The thing is, there are other sporty RWD cars in this price range, and plenty of sporty cars.

Also you didn't say anything about this, but I get triggered when toyobaru faggots define sports car as light and RWD; as if AWD and FWD sports cars don't exist.

I don't care what fags define it as. I specifically wanted to see what RWD was all about and it was like between a newish Toyobaru or some busted old Miatas, Mustangs, and that one Porsche 944 you lust after but you know it's going to peg you erryday and make you its bitch.

I'mma be honest witchu the Toyobaru is really a car that makes you want to go test drive the alternatives even though you still look forward to the love/hate relationship of driving it.

That track is a prostate stimulator

Why is the BRZ so much faster than the FRS?

He’s not wrong. It’s just a mediocre option that happens to be much better

I paid 22k € with full leather and stuff + the whole TRD optical package. Dunno what the list price is for this car, prob around 40k.

1 second isn't much at all, that could easily be attributed to driver error

>Cheap to maintain.
thats literally every car, its simple fucking maintenance

$28k sticker is nothing these days you clueless poorfag

>t. poorfag who brags about his "wealth"

That's wrong, if you're buying with warranty you are forced to service at official dealships. Here Mercedes, BMW and especially Porsche demand way more than Toyota.

For 28k I'd rather get a WRX, its faster and better

>That's wrong, if you're buying with warranty you are forced to service at official dealships
No you're not, the warranty doesn't magically disable you from doing your own oil, brakes, rotors or any typical maintenance.

>than toyota
its literally the same maintenance as any fucking japanese econobox, theres nothing special about it.

its a light, manual gearbox car with decent safety features and amazing driving position. it has a god tier aftermarket support and allows to have fun around tight corners without risk of spinning out of this world.

>any more dumass questions?