Guys - I'm looking for a classy winter beater, and I have my choices narrowed down to two:

Guys - I'm looking for a classy winter beater, and I have my choices narrowed down to two:

1. 2012 Lexus IS 250 AWD, 66k miles
2. 2015 Acura ILX FWD, 29k miles

Price is identical, options are similar, both will cost me the same in insurance. Each car is in excellent condition. Any opinions?

P.S. Price is around $16k, and I don't really care how fast they are. Main concerns are comfort & reliability. I've test driven both, and it's really a tossup here.

I've heard several horror stories about those AWD IS 250s. The 350s supposedly are infinity better. The idea of a drive shaft running through the oil pan kinda makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little.

just get a civic for 3k or fix your current car.

This. There's no point in having a $16k winter "beater", unless it's going to be your general daily driver too.

the Acura seems like a much better deal, 3 years newer and less than half the miles

The main issue with the 250s is the carbon fouling, which is something I won't have to worry about until 2021.

>3k civic
When will this goddamn meme just die?

It'll be my DD, because I have a long commute to work

True, but it's not a Lexus

Get the is350 not the 250

What do you drive now?

No

Porsche in the summer, Grand Cherokee in the winter. It snows where I'm at, which is why I was looking at the AWD IS250.

Hello OP please explain to me how I get to the point where I am looking at late model luxury sedans for "winter beaters" yet I still need to come to Veeky Forums to ask my dumb questions instead of coming to a conclusion on my own?

>it's not a Lexus
sure, but it IS an Acura

what's wrong with the grand cherokee? why not drive that? why do you need to buy anything?

I can't really explain it when you have your fist up your own asshole so far that you can feel your large intestine

I'll admit, I'm kind of a statusfag. I want to pull up to a client meeting in something that says "I'm not just a stupid kid." Plus, the interior in that Lexus is just top notch.

No one gives a shit what you drive. Make the grand cherokee look mint and no one will think twice.

It's getting up there in miles (over 100k), and I'm worried about repairs, because of its renowned Chrysler quality. It's also about as fuel efficient as tractor. Ideally, it'll only be my blizzard/hauling shit vehicle.

>muh miles
>muh repairs
>wants to spend 16k on a badgewhore mobile
get your priorities in order. If you can spend 16k on a shitbox you can spend some money on a repair now and then. stop being a consumption whore.

A stock, clean truck with winter tires. 4x4 with a rear locker beats the best awd systems and you won't have to worry about Linda smashing into you and killing you with her 5000lb crossover.

I can afford to be a consumption whore, so get off my dick. I'm not about to be late to a meeting because my shitbox 4x4 decides not to start one morning.

I feel like you're missing the entire point, broski...

>"I'm not just a stupid kid."
Beige Toyota Corolla. The only people who care about badges, and also carry weight with their opinion, will recognize an old basic bitch Lexus and Honda's failed attempt at prestige.

This

If you have to, get the Acura. Newer and less miles. We're talking two compacts here. I'd get an SUV with 4x4 if I were you. Nissan Pathfinder r50/r51, or a service on your Jeep.