I'm lucky enough to to be able to afford an R32 or R33 GTR and I don't know which one I should own...

I'm lucky enough to to be able to afford an R32 or R33 GTR and I don't know which one I should own. Everywhere I look they all say it boils to "muh preference" or whatever. Frankly I like the look of the R33 much better than the R32 but I'm afraid it won't drive as well as the R32 like people claim. What do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zkUTeJDygBM
youtu.be/tNhenT_o2PI
youtube.com/watch?v=RA9P72b-6JI
youtube.com/watch?v=6NYe5jFhF0g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Buy something that isn't a GTR

Seriously. Buy something you can mod and don't care about fucking up as much.

Didn't really think about modding it at all desu

>but I'm afraid it won't drive as well as the R32 like people claim.
Wat? Pretty sure the 33 is a better handling car stock for stock despite all the Initial D meme speak about it.

>Frankly I like the look of the R33 much better than the R32 but I'm afraid it won't drive as well as the R32 like people claim.

R33 is literally an improved version of the R32. Its just slightly longer.

listen to

Honestly just get a Gtst R32. Parts are less scarce then the GTR and so many just waiting to be sold (assuming you're in the US.) Not to mention insurance will be cheaper and there is more interchangeable parts with the 240/180

Stock for stock R33 should beat out the R32. But with a car like this, it's more about looks and feels anyways, since they're both blisteringly fast cars that handle amazing. I'd test drive both and get the one you feel better sitting in.

But since I love introducing doubt here's a video on a modified R33 and a video that mentions R32 racing history and sparks ideas about what could be done with one. Both hosted by your favorite Jeremy Clarkson

youtu.be/zkUTeJDygBM
youtu.be/tNhenT_o2PI

You may also look at unmolested Silvias of the S13 and S15 models.

I almost wish I had an S15 but the 350z is also such an outstanding car in my eyes. Why can't I just own them all D: ?

>you like the look of the 33
>it's newer

Looks like it drives alright to me:
youtube.com/watch?v=RA9P72b-6JI

Sounds like you really need an R34.

>Jeremy Clarkson
>any clue about driving at all

Wow OP you got $20k? What a richfag you are

The whole crank snout issue on series 1 rb25's/26's has me turned off of r32's.

>Career based around reviewing and driving cars since before most people on Veeky Forums were even born.

Nope. Knows nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Just pay attention to the cars ffs

>no racing credentials
>literally a pencil pushing journalist

He really doesn't have a clue, he's a shit driver but at least he doesn't think he's a good driver like Richard Hammond does.

For once a tripfag is right.

Whatever, dude. It just isn't a coincidence that he hosted on top gear for nearly 25 years.
And by that logic we shouldn't ever listen to anybody on /o as they don't have racing credentials either but here we have people taking and giving advice on the daily.

Plus, I highly doubt anybody buying or importing old GTRs in 2017/2018 is going to be doing any real racing with them.

But I agree that he isn't the best racer by any stretch of the imagination, just that he knows more than Joe or Jane Blow is all.

In case you didn't notice Top Gear is a comedy, not a serious car reviewing show.

Maybe after 2002 it turned into more of a comedy but in the 90s during his first 10 year stint it really was a serious car reviewing show most definitely.

And just because there's some comedy involved doesn't mean they don't bring up good points in the meantime or show off and talk about the road manners of a certain make.

At the very least they have had professional racers on there as guests to talk about many different cars over the years.

Never said it was the end all of car reviewing just that they're not unqualified to talk about them.

>in the 90s, when Tiff Needell was a host, Top Gear was a serious car reviewing show
>at the very least they had professional racers, like Tiff Needell, to talk about cars
>in 2002, when Tiff Needell left, it became a Comedy because the only hosts left were pencil pushing BBC journalists

Yeah that's pretty much my point ya dickhead.

Tiff Needell isn't the only person that has raced that has been on there. I don't think you realize that despite being in Le Mans at least 14 different times, he never finished once. Been in two F1 races and between the two of them completed 12 laps.

But I'm sure he's more qualified than anybody else to talk about cars.

If you had to be a racing driver to talk about cars, there would be half as many that do. Hotrod magazine would lose about half of their writers and truck trend may as well not exist.

And Top Gear isn't the only thing Jeremy has ever written or presented for though. He's not even just a BBC exclusive pencil pusher.

Tell me why being a "professional racer" would be a requirement to talking about cars?

Can I ask why? Want something "special", don't plan on tooling with it too much. I'm fully aware about parts sourcing and stuff because of the meme motor. What do you mean about "don't care about fucking it up as much"? I take very good care of my stuff if that's what you're saying or fucking up a build or some shit.

There are GTS-ts around me but they're illegal.

Because they think you're going to ruin a nice car with race mods that you'll never take advantage of. Just get what feels right to drive. Never buy a car without doing a test drive.

FUCK that looks comfy
there are so many awesome cars I want to own...

I'd go the 33 because less cunts have them and they look great.

Wasn't planning on going all out m8. Coil overs and rims. That's about it.

Then yeah go ahead and get one as long as you're not going to nigger rig anything on it or abuse it beyond what it is really designed to do.

None. Both are old shitboxes now and only good if you're an old bloke enthusiast

That's not at all why I said that.

GTRs are not cheap to repair when something goes wrong. Idk OPs financial situation but general rule of thumb with these is you better be able to afford two of them if you're buying one.

Kiwi here
Looks RFB as fuck

what does RFB mean

JUST GET THE 32 AND BE LIKE NAKAZATO AKA SUPER-GRIPPO-NO-DORIFTO-ALL-THE-WAY-SENSEI-MASTER-OF-GRIP-

Will it be your main car? Will you daily it? If yes to either of these, then don't.

Buy an Evo or something similar instead. Same sort of feels, but easily available. Cheaper to maintain, and can make power easily.

If it's going to be a second car, then sure go for it.

>90's "Britannia Rules the Waves" Clarkson
youtube.com/watch?v=6NYe5jFhF0g

R33 drives better
R32 drives sketchier
If you're planning on modding, just buy a GTS-T or something, or keep it revertible, as much as i hate investment cars, you'll be kicking yourself at the value lost over the next few years if you modify a nice one.

Just want it as a second car. I dont want it to live in a garage if thats what you're asking

Just cause u typed in the average amount divided 60 and it happens to be he exact amount you get a month for rolling tacos, doesn't mean you can afford one.
Retard.

>projecting

Are they really expensive to maintain? I know you got a highly modified one but what about a stock one? I currently I can afford two E60 M5s and up keep them (I only own one and its my daily). Can it get more expensive than that considering I have around 15-30k for the car and another 10-15k for everything else plus whatever isn't spent?

>a tripfag says something faggy and stupid

I'm shocked. fuck off lmao

I own this board

There's a difference in maintenance and repair. It's just a car that takes it's special snowflake oil (15w50) so you can treat it as such. Bit it's also a 19-28 year old high performance car. It will need repairing at some point. Things for R Chassis GTRs are neither cheap nor plentiful. It's ridiculous really, but that's what comes with the territory. You have to realize they were only built for the Japanese market, and not many (relative) were made, and the vast majority of them are modified. It's just my opinion after owning mine for 4 years that if I were to go back in time knowing what I know now, I would not have bought a GTR. But I do love my GTR.

RFB
R Fuck’n B
It’s a noun, a verb, an adjective, a way of life
Doing a skid in any RB is RFB
+T’ing a 25de is RFB
RFB is your 4 door 1989 r32 gt
>no wof cus of all the rust and bent chassis rails
>no rego cus you’re poor
>no cert for the jutties cus the camber is 2 degrees out of spec
>it’s pink stickered for no exhaust cert for the straight pipe
>it has two mags on the front that were maybe cool back in the early 2000s
>one of the rear wheels is an oem r32 wheel
>the other rear wheel is a Chinese import wheel that was once white
>Both rear tires are on wires and are as thin as bike tires from camber wear
>the engine is an rb20e single cam with unknown ks and a pod filter
>there is no Centre console and the dash has PRND in it from when it was swapped to a shitty stolen DET box that crunches every gear
>it has “FTP” written with a finger in the dust on the rear bumper
>the diff is welded locked
>it rips fat skids as hard as little Johnny ever did in this ceffy while making a sound so bad it makes Silvias sound good
>you have it listed on Facebook for 7k ONO because you know some retard will buy it

Pic related is my mates RFB ceff

There are a couple shops in my area that specialize in GTRs and assorted JDM cars. I'll take what you said and then also ask them what they think.

Thanks breh

>it drives like a pig
>would handle better if he'd left it stock
>another ruined cefiro

This is why you get a 300zx turbo instead
>same technology
>same stock power
>same potential, you just need two of everything
>better interior
>less likely to get stolen
>attracts less cops
>cheaper to buy
>cheaper to insure
>easier to find stock
And the single biggest advantage
>sold in the states
This is simply massive, even for me with a JDM z
>American OEM+ parts
>forums and wikis that jap only cars will never have
>the entirety of Z1 motorsports and CZP that categorise and sell well priced parts just for Zs

Pic related (black) is my 94 jap import twin turbo 5 speed. It makes 300kw (400hp) at 15psi and cost 15k all up to import, make legal and modify (so far)

Yeah but then you have a Z32

Lol my greentext shitpost was referring to this shitbox we used to know and got crushed

The ceff pictured sure is RFB, but it’s a well maintained 20det on BC gold jutties so it drives and handles mint. I love that car

>"I'm lucky enough to be able to afford a piece of shit, mass produced Japanese sports car that's over 20 years old"
Do you want a medal? Good job being in the top 75%.

As opposed to an RDirtyTwo yep got it

At least they're actually a 4 seat coupe with a usable back seat and trunk, even if it is a geedeeahh.

I thought 10W30 full synthetic is the factory suggested oil for the R34s.

Is modding a Skyline GT-R really that bad? I was planning on getting Omori to do a bare metal refurbish + mild engine mods before it made it stateside. Also contemplating stuff like getting a new Getrag V160 installed.

When I say mild, I mean GT-SS turbos and supporting modifications to hopefully make the RB26 good for just long cruises on a highway (it is a GT car...) but also autocross/track use. I don't want to have my oil pump explode and destroy the engine.

It's going to easily be 3x the cost of the car itself but I hope it will be reliable as a result. No plans to make it a daily driver, I'm worried about safety, theft, and crashing it so I'm going to have a normie car that I won't feel bad about if some prick crashes into me.

That is a fucking lot of money to drop. I’m assuming you know what costs you’re getting into, so you should know what modding one involves.

Even if you're just thinking about it, buy an R32 right the fuck now OP

As the R34 gets more and more expensive, people will look to the R32 and R33 to get a classic GT-R, and the R32 is more popular than the middle child. You will easily make $10k on an R32 in ten years.

Just get like 6 miatas

A twin-engine, AWD Miata is pretty much a GT-R.

h a p p y b o i s

No I'm not saying stick it in a garage.

I'm just saying it's an awful car to daily. It will be your pride an joy, and driving it daily you'll just end up hating it. You'll constantly be thinking "what was that rattle?" "Don't you dare pull out!" "Shit rain, I haven't topped up my rust coat." Etc, etc. Parts are sparse in the US for these too right now. I mean that will change over time. But currently they aren't easy to fix in a hurry. So as a daily it's a pain.

But as a weekend car, go for it man. And make sure you do drive it! And Enjoy it!

Thanks mate! Had to adjust the dampening and ride height for winter. I love NZ and plan to visit one day

Yeah, I know it's crazy money. I'm estimating all in to spend about new R35 GTR money. But I don't really have much else going on in my life. Other than a house, what else can I really drop money on.

I mean, I guess. But there’s so much you could do to the car for that money. Then again, how many people can say Omori Factory refreshes their entire car

I guess I'm after something that will last as long as I do. I don't want huge power. Most of the aftermarket is not really focused on what I care about. Most builds I see are big power single turbo builds and not much else.

I'm trying to find the "ultimate balance", whatever that is. The Omori R33 GT Spec demo car is really close, I would probably do the Getrag 6 speed conversion + 3.917 final drive and a more extensive engine build to get more power with comparable response. If Omori or NPTMF won't do engine builds modified to personal request I'll probably have to go another route.

Stuff like the R34 VSpec rear diffuser and a front undertray would probably be on the list as well.

Aki's R33 has been a great source of inspiration. I wouldn't try to go as far as him though. I'm mostly after OEM+ feel rather than the "ultimate R33".

Talked to the shop today. They said go for it if you don't plan to daily it. They said they wouldn't recommend modding it to the moon because of the issues it would create. Parts sourcing shouldn't be too hard but problem. Main Issue they said is that most if not all are from Japan and could be pricey. They said if something does go wrong don't expect to have it in immediately. They told me try to do most of the work yourself if something goes wrong and bring it in if you can't do it. They also said only get a GTSt if you want a daily, modify extensively for racing or showing, or on a tight budget.

Think I'll look into an R33 GTR and their pricing and to put up with owning one. Thanks everyone in the thread and SCbro

i wouldn't say parts are sparse in the US.

You have Raw Brokerage, Rivsu, RightDriveParts, Nissan Autosports, and 2 good facebook groups to find parts from. I was able to get a brand new Blank R32 GTR key through Nissan Autosports (for like $30 no less). The MAFs on my GTR were acting up, so i rebuilt them and purchased a backup pair off of a facebook group for $100. Sure i can't go down to autozone and get something (unless its a Z32 / S13 Shared part) but it's not like there aren't any parts in the country. people have been illegally importing these things for years, there is a small niche market that is there.