Hey Veeky Forums im thinking of buying a VW golf 1.4 tsi

Hey Veeky Forums im thinking of buying a VW golf 1.4 tsi

Tell me Everything i should know
and
Why I should / shouldn't buy one

And if I shouldn't buy one what other should I buy with a 7000€ -8500€ budget
(I like hatchbacks, german cars (e30s and some b5 a4s) ,cars like the Toyota Chaser and the g35 and cars similar to that)
I live in germany and I'm already experienced in cars because when I still lived in Russia I learned to drive at the age of 13 in my grandpa's lada niva and we bought a BMW shitbox that we threw around("drifted") in a field near my grandpa's old farm in Russia

Thanks in advance
-E

Other urls found in this thread:

autoscout24.de/angebote/bmw-328-i-e36-automatik-klima-shd-pdc-cd-benzin-schwarz-488cf354-956e-44ef-be4d-209079c82de0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If anyone suggests a fucking twingo I will fucking start killing

>1.4 TSI
Oh dear. The twincharged version in particular is possibly the worst reliability nightmare VAG has ever created.

Okay thanks, what car should I rather pick ?

What's insurance in your country like? Because you could easily get a 2nd gen Focus ST for that money (depending on your local used car market), but insurance might screw you over if you're a young driver.

Hell, you could get a mk4 GTI and have the awesome 1.8T under the hood, with its silly amounts of aftermarket support.

Idk for a focus st the insurance would be around 70€ per month (I'm not sure tho

i find golfs really boring to drive, might be just the ones i have driven (most of them were diesel)
did you test drive one?

Or a real nicely specced E46 with a big engine, or a mk5 GTI, probably a 350Z too, a B5 S4, or a 986 Boxster.

Not yet

But those aren't really reliable?

Buy a Mazda 3 hatchback. Good handling.

Depending on the engine E46s aren't too bad, mk5 GTI would be a better bet than the 1.4 TSI, later 350Zs are pretty reliable, Boxsters are very reliable as long as the IMS bearing has been changed and B5 S4s really aren't reliable, you're right.

Terribly overpriced.
For what a madza 3 base runs you, he can pick up a Fiesta ST, currently the best hot hatch on the market, no contest.

Skoda Octavia
Same as the golf but you can get a better spec and engine for less. Plus i think it looks better and it has alot more space.

I'm not sure I can handle that many horses tho I'm probably not going over 235hp

this cyka blyat talking about getting a 1.4 golf and you start talking s4's and Porches.
You have never realistically bought a car have you?

OP get a subaru wrx or something

You're right I have never bought a car

Wait I'm retarded I thought you meant me

Get a Hyundai veloster then.

You can show off and buy one of these

Or you can be an italian plumber and buy one of these.

I was listing some enthusiast options, as OP said he did have experience with cars already so I assumed he might want something interesting.
The sensible thing to buy is obviously some new-ish econobox, like a Focus, Megane or Golf/Leon/Octavia with an engine that's not the 1.4 TSI.

You can reduce the rate of global warming with one of these

Or you can buy an overpriced car by Toyota

Go fully electric and never pay for gas again with one of these bitches

The car that's most attractive to me right now are the mk5 gti and maybe a mk4 gti or a vr6 but are they reliable ? Because in forums I always read that these VW aren't really reliable

If they aren't reliable what problems do they have ?

I live in a rural German town the nearest electric pump thing is about 4 km away from me but there's always people there

The problem with Volkswagen is that they have a lot of plastic tubes that are for emission controls. When one of these tubes breaks or has a leak,it's hard to diagnose where the problem is. The labor is expensive. Also,the amount of room for you to work in the engine is very limited since Volkswagen cramps everything together. Asian and american cars don't cramp their engines as much,they also don't have as much emission control tubes.

VAG also has common problems with misfiring pistons.

If you're going mk4, go 1.8T. VR6 sounds awesome but it's thirsty and makes the car really nose-heavy.
Most of their problems have to do with the electronics. Sensors fucking up, usually.
The 1.8T really needs its oil changed often, since its stock turbo is quite small and is almost always making boost, so it's always running hot. Not allowing the engine to cool down after a spirited drive means the oil that stays in the turbo gets cooked, which leads to oil sludge problems if the oil isn't changed frequently.
An easy way to look for sludge is to take off the oil filler cap and either shine a light in there or run your finger along the inside of the valve cover. If everything's covered in a thick, tar-like sludge, you should probably walk away unless you know how to and are willing to tear the engine apart and clean it out.

Oh, and the good old failure-prone 1.8T coil packs. There are retrofit kits available for more reliable alternatives like 2.0 TFSI coil packs.

So is the mk5 gti a good option ?

What do you think about this bimmer ?( It's in german) it's an automatic but I can live with that

autoscout24.de/angebote/bmw-328-i-e36-automatik-klima-shd-pdc-cd-benzin-schwarz-488cf354-956e-44ef-be4d-209079c82de0

The mk5 is definitely a nicer and better car than the mk4, and was called a return to form for the GTI by reviewers.
Not sure about reliability though, check some forums I guess. The nice thing about VWs is their enormous community, which means every issue has probably been documented and 5 different solutions have probably been developed.

Low milage 8th gen Civics are around €6000-€8500. 140bhp.
If you dont mind Toyota you can get a low-ish milage Auris hatch for €4500-€6500. 124bhp.
You should also be able to find a decent Skoda Fabia and a higher-milage Lexus IS for that price.
All of the above should be quite reliable.

can confirm the mk5 gti is really nice. they're really reliable as long as you get your car serviced on time

>350z for 7000€ in Germany
What are you smoking?
Not to mention the insurance costs.

Tsi isn't even the twin charged engine. That's the tfsi

Thanks my guy

I mean there is one for 7.200€ but it got like 280.000km on it