Opinions? Gonna try to talk him down, just interested in whether this is a good choice for a starter car...

Opinions? Gonna try to talk him down, just interested in whether this is a good choice for a starter car. Very willing to do work on it, and have the knowledge t do so if needed.

(No more pictures btw)

>worst Porsche ever created
>Hit on one side
>Engine out
>Something about the oil pump

Don't be retarded. Buy a completely running one for $2.5k

no. it's a shit car even in mint condition. only turbos are worth the money/hassle.

Don't fucking do it man, for how much work you'll be putting into the damn thing you might as well be getting a turbo FC RX7 which is better in every way conceivable.

Ya smell that? Smells like moneypit.

Good quality cars when they came out but just know you're going to have to put a lot of work/money into it to get it on the road and keep it there.

>Good quality cars when they came out
FC RX7 was/is better

Well that's just your opinion man and even if it were true it wouldn't make the statement of the Porsche being good quality untrue.

But when you factor in things like the "anti toe out" special rear A arms on the Porsche, plus the rear transaxle gearbox - it's hard to imagine the Mazda being better quality. Although the engine does seem to let the Porsche down a fair bit.....

944's that are short of mint condition usually end up being total money sinks, plus the porsche tax can be unreal for parts.

This is such a meme. While I agree that the specific one in the ad looks like a heap of shit, 944's really aren't that bad to work on and, if you buy a decent model, they don't suck too much money. I've had my '83 pic related for 3 years now. Owned an 86 GXL FC before that. I bought my 944 for $3000, put about another $1000 into it that year, and haven't touched it since. It's now my daily driver and has never left me stranded.

While you can source parts for relatively cheap, it is harder to work on than most cars. If you buy one, you certainly have to know how to turn a wrench because taking it to a shop is big $$$.

All in all, it's a heavy, flashy German Miata that is just a blast to drive. I thoroughly love mine and have taken it on quite a few nice, comfy road trips since owning it.

>every way conceivable
They're a hell of a lot faster, but hell, you talk about expensive? My N/A FC was a lot of upkeep as is. Slapping a turbo on it burns everything out quicker. If you're looking for anything more than a fun weekend car, the Turbo FC is NOT it. For the love of god.

> Parts bin Porsche with no motor in the car missing an oil pump and who knows what else.
> A good starter car

Pick one.

Pretty sure only the 928 got the trick rear suspension, and ironically the 944's engine is basically half a 928's V8.
Oh, and the rear transaxle design was because of the 924, which was intended to be sold under VW at first, so it used a lot of random VW bits. The transaxle is actually a FWD Audi unit with a torque tube connecting the clutch and the engine's crankshaft. The 944 is basically an evolved 924 and retains its overall chassis.

This. I pretty much rebuilt my whole front suspension with Corrado parts.

>covering the location as if anyone wants that shitbox

you really think you found some diamond in the rough lmaoooooo. If it was anything special it wouldve sold the day it was put up you dumb faggot.

people like OP are stupid as shit

Those engines are an absolute bitch to get back in. Shell out a couple more grand and buy a nice running one.

t. past owner of 3 of those shitboxes

You know the owner is a fucking mongoloid from how they type. Don't buy.

Well there you go, I thought they put the transaxle in for maximum handling.

>good engine
>oil pump
No. These engines, especially the ones from 84-85.5 are notorious for oil pump issues and blowing shards of metal through the channels. My guess is that he pulled this, realizing this. DO NOT buy this heap of shit.

Op, quit being a faggot and just give us a general area of where to search. We'll find you a better 944 than that thing in no time.

It was a side effect of them not wanting to develop an all new FR transmission, pretty much.
It also means you can stuff an Audi 016 unit in there with little trouble if the transmission goes boom on an NA non-S 944, which will be cheaper than sourcing a Porsche unit.

Both cars are pretty equal in being money sinks, however given that op clearly has no fucking clue what he's doing he'd be infinitely better off with a non-turbo RX-7.

what's the point of a sports car if its slower than a v6 camry?

Handles better than a V6 Camry, and here comes an objectively utterly meaningless buzzword, but it's more fun than a V6 Camry.
There's more to cars than spec sheets.
There's more to life than benchracing.

I disagree. You have to seriously know what you're doing to own a dorito. I would religiously check oil, temps, fluids on the daily, because one overheat and you're history. A 944, if it's running, it doesn't require much more than a normal car to keep it going. Seeing as OP is a moron, I think he'd be better off buying a decent 944 than an RX7 just because of the knowledge it takes to keep one running smoothly.

This. I know my car is slow as hell, but god do I love driving it. I've driven cars far far faster, some with 4x the horsepower, but I would pick my 944 to take down a twisty mountain road any day of the week.

Sure they require special snowflake maintenance, but in grand scheme of service life a properly maintained N/A 12A or 13B motor can easily reach 200k.

Plus upgrading and rebuilding a Mazda rotary would be far easier and relatively economical compared to a 944, aftermarket is huge and loads of oem parts are still available.

excuse me for talking out my ass then in that case. Was the FC really that much of a pain in the ass?

>944 shell
>No engine, only the trans
>Body damage (No pic of the damage, which is a red flag)
If you really want a shell lowball the fuck out of him. There's no telling what shape the trans is in and even then any engine you put in is going to require a shitload of work to make drivable.
Even worse, not all 944's even had LSD's, IIRC. Some "sports car" they were.

Sure, but again, though, not as easily as most pistons. I did 2 rebuilds on mine in the time I had it. I put about 90k on it and it was at 80k when I bought it. Apex seals blew once, even before it was time to replace them, and even despite that I took care of that engine religiously. It wasn't warped, those engines just inherently have issues. I used mine as a daily driver, and when you can't rely on your car to get you to work, it's a pain in the ass.

As for the rebuild, I would say it was easier to rebuild than a piston engine the second time I did it. The first time, it takes a bit to get your bearings. I've rebuilt many pistons, so switching my brain over to working with all the small moving parts in the shell of the engine was a bit hard. The second time, though, it took me half as long and was, indeed, pretty easy.

Upgrades, sure, the RX7 has them, but the majority of them that the 944 doesn't have, (i.e forced induction) take so much life and reliability off your engine, it's comical.

It was more of a pain than most cars, yes. But, if you're dedicated and have a fair bit of money lying around, I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible for someone who's knowledgeable enough. The car I got was in pretty damn good shape too. You get into the habit of checking oil and coolant at every fill up (I didn't premix), you start looking at your temp gauge more than your speedometer, and you always have a rebuild kit handy because you know it's going to be inevitable that something blows. It's weird to get used to at first because the car is like a needy, bitchy girlfriend, but once you fall into the rythm of always taking care of it, it's not too bad.

Dumb fucking benchracer

It's sad that you've never actually had fun behind the wheel of a car.

LS swap it