So when's the last time you checked your oil, Veeky Forums?

So when's the last time you checked your oil, Veeky Forums?

During my daily engine oil change. A filter a day keeps the mechanic away.

Last night.
I checked the tranny fluid today.
And i’m sloshing around some ideas on how to fix up some of the fucked up paint.

some time in August

of 2016, should I be worried?

>left the state for 8 months and came back to drive my truck back and forth to work for a bit
>decide to check oil
>by the time I checked, the stick had literally no oil on it

I check oil every other gas fill

Every other day since I'm convinced I have oil loss somewhere and it's a little overfilled currently

Never

once every 3 months at most

4 days ago, it was pretty low but above minimum.
I did not refill it since I´ll change it on sunday anyway.

I ordered some nice 5W40 synthetic oil and a new filter for it.

maxima is due at 300,000km and the soarer is due whenever the oil turns black in about 7,000km

Every year or so I cycle in a few quarts of ATF4, change the oil and filter every 3000 miles with good synthetic,

But my goddamn FWD automatic has a separate differential.

Only just changed that at 130,000 miles.

>diesel shitbox with 420k kms on it
>check maybe once every few months
>still at highest mark

Every time I hit a bump I get a low oil message
So I guess I checked it today
It's low

sunday

>2017
>Still having to check your cars oil
>It must be terrible to be too poor to afford a car that tells you when the oils low itself so you don't need to get your hands dirty like a filthy nigger.

LaughingKilmer.png

have fun replacing that sensor, I'm sure it lasts a long time being constantly bathed in scalding hot motor oil, I hear electronics really like heat.

Have you heard of all those oil pressure sensors failing constantly because they are literally submerged in pressurised scalding hot oil? Every single car out there has one, I bet there are long ass lines of cars waiting for a shop to fix their sensors, after all, sensors designed to be bathed in hot oil can't stand to be bathed in hot oil.

I'm sure you know a lot about the subject

E46's have problems with them all day

What about every single other car that had a pressure sensor since the better part of a century?

you asked for an example, and i gave you one. E90 failure rate is super low, since they dont have a dipstick as back-up.

However, saying oil level sensors are infallible seems unwise. Sure, they're designed to sit in the sump and measure running engine oil levels (or KOEO oil levels, i dont know) and they would have to realistically beable to handle max oil temps and whatever ambient temps the car will be exposed to. Sometimes sensors dont like wild temperature swings, or maybe its designed by BMW and planned obsolescence comes to mind.

Have fun checking oil with a dipstick while you can, soon they'll be a thing of the past along with sump drain plugs. The only dipstick you'll be able to get is either aftermarket or a dealer tool that cant sit in the engine while its running.

My point wasn't to ask for an example, I can imagine myself that there are particular cars out there that had some unfortunate sensor designs, my point was, instead, that in the grand scheme of things there have been sensors submerged in oil since forever and it hasn't been a major problem except for a few select models, and even there I would place my bets on bad designs rather than electronics failing naturally because hot oil is like kryptonite.
Of course they aren't infallible, but they aren't even something to be worried about for like 99% of the cars out there.

All this fear mongering about electronics failing left and right seems just sheer ignorance to me, or an excuse for people to go full sour grapes.

>like a filthy nigger
Niggers don't check their oil.

No oil on the stick doesn't mean you starved it. Many dipsticks offer a wide margin for error.

>tranny
anyone who calls a gearbox a tranny should do us all a favor and kill themselves

The only people who get offended by the word tranny are tranny faggots.

>not changing your oil after every drive

retard

The dipstick (and electric sensor) usually only measures the top litre of oil in the pan.

>gearbox fluid
u wot m8?

user wants the word "tranny" reserved for himself

10000 miles ago

yesterday and if you don't check at least once a week literally why do you ever leave the house without a helmet

If you have an oil pressure gauge you will know if you're low on oil because your pressures will start to read lower and lower

>not changing your oil at every stoplight
Ummmm are you guys actually retarded???

>Tfw it comes out wet at the high mark but only the dark oil is at the low mark
I should probably add a quart or two eh?

>2017
>not having a 250 gallon reserve tank of oil directly hooked up to engine's your oil pump
>running a filter instead of letting all the dirty, unpure oil pour out of the engine the after it makes its first cycle through the block

fuckin morons

it's too cold to check the oil, sorry dad

never because it doesnt leak or burn more than a quart per year so i just overfill it a little

Is that a pre facelift corsa c?

On a 1.5L engine with 365225.5 miles, I kinda have to check it every week.

Never. I just put a quart in every 1000 miles to replace what burns out, and change it every 6k.