/domg/ - Dominions General

Big Guys edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer.
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-"""progress""" wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin (UPDATED!)
pastebin.com/qaccWnMt

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Play by email guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Debug Mod
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=AI_Bowl
translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=ja&sp=nmt4&u=http://wikiwiki.jp/dominions4/?Spell%2FEnchantment%2FDome%20of%20Flaming%20Death&usg=ALkJrhhnxTnYZyz-sArfDPZA4y8LteyzbA
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Latus_Endtimes
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Previous Pantokrator:

First for fall bears.

looks to me like somebody expanded in a straight line with a party of giants

Why does R'lyeh have consistently the highest win rate among UW nations? Is this why they won the UWbowl for LA?

they're the most likely to get somebody to stale and then ai

Reminder to join the AI BOWL.

>still have no idea how to actually sign up for games

blease elp i wanna play with the magic mens

'Play by email guide' in the OP/pastebin.

Repeating question from prev. thread: What's the damage from the fire dome and do you get notified if it triggers?

Also how likely is Purgatory to deal damage to each undead unit and how much is the damage?

>tfw you realize banes are just recolored ether lords with the horns cut off.

What does the ai even do well? Can they summon Lanka's undead? do the blood hunt?

Trust the wisdom of the inscrutable asians:

translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=ja&sp=nmt4&u=http://wikiwiki.jp/dominions4/?Spell%2FEnchantment%2FDome%20of%20Flaming%20Death&usg=ALkJrhhnxTnYZyz-sArfDPZA4y8LteyzbA

>manually downloading turn files
holy shit we 1994 in here

'PBEM Manager' in the pastebin.

Holy shit the japs have a nice wiki, i it all like this?

read it all and report back imo

>TFW the Bane Charms hit just right

>Fire against the magic dome. Unlike other dome, it does not have the function of blocking the ceremony itself, instead it specializes in automatic counter attack function. The use conditions are also moderately loose.
Automatic counter attack is damage defense penetration fire damage. The power is randomly determined every time between 1 and 20. Luck is involved, but if you are not a high HP, you can instantly kill it, and you can expect to leave a battle if not.
Furthermore, at the time of counterattack, there is a possibility that the laboratory used by the counterattack target itself will also cause a fire and destroy. The probability decreases as the Luck balance of the counterattacked state gets higher.
Duration of the dome itself depends on additional jewels consumed. If you do not add one, only one turn will be effective.

amazing
now i wonder how many spell effects involve luck scale and how underrated it really is

>It's just a cybertaur why are you even looking at this.
You tell me. I'm trying to figure out how I can watch my chosen AI. Though running the first 36 turns of a test game is hefty....

why not add an observer nation for every player so that everyone can see how their nation is doing?
the only problem is that they would have to be played by admin for the first 36 turns

I'll upload all Observers turns after 36, so everyone can check and see how badly their AI is doing.

>want to play multiplayer
>just want to durdle and cast fancy spells
I just don't want to get steamrolled by aggressive players ;_;

Play a memegame

Speaking of- llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Latus_Endtimes

NEEDS TWO (2) MORE MEMERS

Memes

I'm up to meme but I'm pretty sure I'd give my AI a truely terrible start

LET THE MEMES
BEGIN.

bump

Alright, favourite maps to play on, go!

If they're not in the base game, provide links for the newblets.

I'll always like Cradle of Dominion. It's got a good size, clear art style, variety of terrain, isn't too big, but is large enough that you can expand to a reasonable degree... Plus the regions with a bonus to magic sites really helps direct searching efforts, rather than having to blanket every area of your land with mages of every stripe and colour.

We need llamabeast to upload the map manually, it seems. We'll start as soon as he's done that.
Stay tuned.

Oh, actually not.

>Moatilliata
Found a Malakal.

EA Ur is Pangaea with shitty troops and no blood. Which isn't very good because what makes Pangaea good is excellent sacreds and then extremely buffable Revelers and Ur has neither of that. However, in the end Earth is a really good path so on the other hand it's a workable nation, it's not that you don't have good tactics to try out.

>found a meaglin

I am here to save the world from the Burden of Time. You may express your thanks in advance by sending gold.

I'm not falling for your tricks, Emperor Evil! You're just going to dispel your own BoT by overcasting another BoT.

I've seen through your tricks.

>I don't share a sea with Therodos

ah fuck

Just go ai now?

I can still do it, it's just a bit harder and requires land nations to let me bridge over.

>t. Malakal

t. Malakal

t. Malakal

Oh, and I'm also going to need a crystal coin at some point (preferably by turn 15, if that's possible)

I did a game as Ur and liked the Nature and Earth magic for the strong buffs and such, but all the troops were shit and expensive so I had nothing to buff

Who would you recommend I try next? I'm think Bangaya :-DDD or Ulm

>Implying I was going to cast burden of time

>be popkill nation
>be UW in your own sea
>not casting BoT

why even bother. Just go AI

Tyranny fan?

If you like the buff playstyle, MA Pangaea (relative to EA, Panii have better paths as they have higher Earth but don't pay extra for blood, and MA Pan is a capable blood nation in MA terms). LA doesn't have as easily buffable troops (besides Stymphalian situationally: their equipment is of bronze so one Iron Bane later they can actually be very offensive with their 6 attacks per square and initial AoE destroying enemy armour) but they're capable, and in addition to their useful magic being Panii all the way, they also have premier researchers and communion mages in Centaur Sages.

EA Ulm also has decent Earth access and Nature access and their troops also take buffs well so besides EA/MA Pangaea, that would probably be the next best pick for that kind of playstyle.

Uh actually arco apparently doesn't believe in pd so I just used scouts to take all those uncontested.

oh lol

Pangaea sounds cool, but even though they have earth wizards (and water and blood, which is cool) they only get nature gems from their cap. I know most spells don't need gems, but wouldn't a steady supply of earth gems be necessary for the more powerful spells and items?

I recommend trying EA Abysia at least once so you can learn to bloody well rush your opponents.

Turn 4 wars are something you actively aim for with that nation.

Also EA Ulm to teach you how to into magic and raiding. They're about as management-focused as a non-blood nation can hope to be.

Most of your gems come from site searching, not your cap

It's not difficult to exhaust even the highest of earth income with Earth Boots/Bloodstones and gems used in battle magic but on the other hand, you don't HAVE to spend gems to get something useful out of Earth. Strength of Giants, Legions of Steel, Destruction, Earth Meld etc. operate fine with E2+Earthpower (and half of MA Pan mages are native E3) and spells like Iron Bane and such like are highly efficient. By the time you reach the more important research goals using gems in larger numbers (such as Earthquake), you should have an ample supply from site searching.

Furthermore, Horde must take his turn.
Furthermore, Nurgle must take his turn.

I'll be taking it back now then, Pan.

Is it worth cobbling together a strong bless for White Centaurs? They seem strong, but maybe it's not worth it if I'm going more for massed buffed up revelers and such

W9 E4 is a perfectly affordable bless and gives you some frankly disgusting expansion in the form of blending machines masquerading as centaurs.

What are the hot MP mods these days? I see worthy heroes is still around, there's some magic overhaul shit and other guff.

What's good, nigga?

I can probably afford E9, is it worth it for the protection?

This is in an actual multiplayer game. Spot the fuck up.

White Centaurs with W9 make Pangaea top5 expanding nation out of all ages (rivaled only by the likes of Bats and EA Vanheim) and it's a very economical bless given that you can take sloth 3 and imprisoned pretender without an issue.

Is ..... Is that a F9 Bless on MA Caelum?

Not really. Centaurs get 22 defense with W9 (+due to their recuperation, instead of becoming wounded cripples, they are almost guaranteed to get two or three stars of experience for even more) and are likely to murder any opposition before they get hit once. Moreover, once you can cast protection buffs, the value of protection from E9 decreases.

I'll do W9E4 then, it sounds really solid. Gives me plenty of points leftover to grab scales

>takes f9 bless for archers that don't benefit from it
NICE MEME

Niceu meme-chan desu

One more turn or you risk bumping me.

Someone start an MA game I ahve to try A9 caeulm

Dang, I should rush him.

Why not try A1 Caelum

I really wish there were more sacred archers in the game. Especially a rec-everywhere one.

Tangentially, such a bummer F9 or D9 doesn't work with Mind Blast.

Beware, he clearly dabbles in magic you may not have researched, the arcane art of meme magic

Wait why doesnt it work

____ _______

>kill undead

>R'lyeh Waiting for 2h file

Why there no Dom 4 streamers?

Who the fuck would watch 15 minutes of gameplay followed by 24 hours of sitting around?

they are already magic weapons

No, other magic weapons do still work with them. Frost bows SPECIFICALLY don't work with flaming arrows. It's in the weapon properties in the mod inspector

Raiel streams his duels sometimes

Holy shit this is problematic

Our shitty English wiki didn't help at all and the only thing I found with Google was pic related, which would be great, if only desura wasn't dead
I might actually try to learn jap just so I could learn gook secrets without bothering weeb people

Question, how do you properly use high mobility units? Especially flying ones since what will happen is they'll outpace my infantry and get swarmed and wastefully die.

Set the fast ones at the back and the slow ones at the front?
Otherwise, if you've got similarly quick commanders, you can set the faster troops to Guard Commander, and the commander to wait 3-5 turns and then Attack Rearmost or whatever. Hold and Attack will only wait for 3 turns, so this can buy you some crucial turns for your front liners to get into contact with the enemy.

まあ、その日本人のウィキが良く出来た見える。しかし、内容物はちゃんと確かめたかなあ。

Ar far as tactically mobile troops are concerned, that's often of relative low value. I must confess I'm much weaker in tactics than other parts of the game but for me at least, movement speed rarely changes how I plan the battle. It has some uses, though. For starters, it gives you some leeway in positioning the units such that they gain the first strike (sacred cavalry with W9 bless for example is effectively guaranteed to hit standard ~10AP enemies before they get hit, even if you position them by random, and understanding movement ranges is critical in scripting elephants for instance). High AP also enables units to flee from battles without taking too much losses during the rout, or chase and kill routing enemies more effectively.

Speed can be used in getting to the back lines of the opponent quickly (such as rushing a thug in the middle of its buffing sequence), or catching up to your front line after being initially deployed out of reach of enemy missiles/spells, or being told to hold while your mages buff them. Line formation causes units to move as one (being limited by the speed of the slowest unit in the group, be sure to select wounded troops with 'w' and remove any cripples if you want the line to advance faster) and can be used to prevent fliers from going in solo (Storm can also be used to the same effect: for example, I once used Storm so that I could walk W1 fliers in frozen heart range of an enemy SC with attack one turn commands), and supposing you have flying chaff like harpies or hawks for sieging forts, you might just want to use guard commander instead of letting them to fight in melee.

too your durns

Well, at least you can do really slick shit with bows of war and stone birds.

Fliers can be annoying when used in conjuction with other troops, but on the other hand flying is a guaranteed first strike (Spire Hown Warriors for example might not look so great on paper with their middling at best stats, but in actuality just 20-30 of them can rout most indies instantly), it allows you to get a full surround (more of your guys fighting fewer of your opponent's troops) and attack rear/archers command can be extremely valuable (it forces all sorts of tough decisions from the opponent, like deploying mages at the range of missile fire, and failing to keep the commanders safe may allow a small force of fliers to assassinate the leaders and cause the remaining army to rout for even greater losses).

Case in point.

Yo Jomon, you got Arnberg (80), right? That's Pan's only fort that isn't over 100 unrest, so if you can clinch it, he won't be able to make any more dudes.

Speaking of, I've finally managed to kill some of the goats. They're still doing work, though, and everyone else should be showering me in money and wellwishes for removing the seducers from the game.

I may be pointing out the obvious, but NewGamePlus Ulm is going to blob out of control at this point.

t. pan

Stymphalian birbs are great.

Is there a maximum Protection value? I think you can only get 18 MR, so is there a similar limit?

I think you can easily go over 30 with rock reptile

No limit, but it's hard to get higher than 35 or around that. Try E9 cyclops with artifact armor.

man everybody took their turns so quickly except one...ahhh

E10 Cyclops disciple with an E9 bless gets pretty high,

Time for fucking testing.