Through questionable means, you have travelled back in time to 2003 to change history...

Through questionable means, you have travelled back in time to 2003 to change history. You have managed to become the CEO of GM, and your goal is to prevent GM from going bankrupt in 6 years & killing Saab, Pontiac, Saturn and Hummer. How do you go about doing this?

Bring back the Geo Metro. Boom, problem solved.

Kill myself

Every car is available with a 572 big block.

>let Saturn continue building cheap indestructible Tupperware shitboxes
>let the madmen at Saab focus on sniping at Volvo, building safe and reliable cars that are fun to drive
>convince Pontiac to keep doing things like the Solace, Vibe GT, etc. have them go after the Subaru market with awd wagons and thing like that
>all the crossovers/midsize SUVs are left to Hummer, make something to compete with the Wrangler but at a better price point, also market the H3T more aggressively

Tell Muh Corvette engineers that if they want it to stay in the market then don't make it cheap. Tell Pontiac to make stylish RWD shitboxes. Tell Saturn to keep doing their tupperware econo boxes.

Get rid of Hummer.

Sell Saab.

Also bring back 1990 Fiero concept with a dual boosted v6 just for shits and gigs

the Hummer was a fools errand.

>be GM
>make a shitty knockoff of a vehicle that is inherently uncomfortable because its designed for a battlefield.
>the real deal outsells your product so badly you have to tell the government to stop selling them at surplus auctions

>Tell Muh Corvette engineers that if they want it to stay in the market then don't make it cheap
So you'd tell them to do exactly the opposite of what has made them so successful in the market?

GM had many different great cars that were shelved due to the fear of them overtaking the Corvette.

So yes. Fuck the Corvette

Use my """non-existent""" Jewish connections to start wars with Europe and Japan so nationalistic tendencies flare and everyone buys American for 20 years straight.

After destroying Japan for a second time, a new post-war treaty is drafted to assume total control over all automobile manufacturing.

Nissan as a brand is completely eradicated from existence, including any and all mention of it from history books. Nissan vehicles are outlawed, forcing negroes to ride the bus everywhere.

Europeans are crippled by the sheer might of America, and through the mere threat of total destruction, they agree to stop producing anything other than boutique super cars. All of Europe is already cucked, so we export domesticuck shitboxes like the Chevy Cruze and Ford Focus en-masse (no production is allowed in Europe, because the UAW demands total control of unionized labour in the world, and some European states actually work too hard to be qualifying members).

By 2040, 50% of the population are driving reliable V8 sedans, while the other 50% are driving reliable full size trucks. Technology was poached from Japanese facilities to remedy the quality issues Americans have always had, and then combined with the DICKWAVING HORSEPOWER Americans have always had.

Just shoot shitty management. problem solved.

double down on partnering with isuzu.

Best answer desu

On that note. Buick WILL bring back the Grand National and GNX.

>2003
You're only giving me one year to save the brand that matters to me.

Not enough time to make changes financially. You'd need to go back 10 to 15 years and start steering the company in a different direction then.

Kill Saturn and Hummer.
Let Saab do their thing but tell them to charge more for their cars.
Make Pontiac offer spotier versions of all of their cars and market fuck out of the GTO and the G8.
Make cheap chevys that are actually good.

Pay off the Australian Gov to keep subsidizing Holden.

Other than that just be less shit at business in general.

Close the Chevrolet brand for good.
Make Saturn the main brand with most of the cars.
Oldsmobile becomes the sports car tag.
Pontiac makes pickup trucks and vans only.
Sell Saab to a south american or African country to make their own cars.
Hummer makes the same cars, but with big powerful electric motors like tesla, with massive TORKQKS

>be GM right now instead
>bring back pontiac
>bring back only firebird in modern design with hints of the 78 model
>make profit off baby boomers wanting to relive the good ole days of when the trans am was king
>see if it does well and if all goes well unveil my true plan with pontiac to bring back the mighty grand prix with a received 3800 supercharged engine
flawless plan

>not bringing back the G8 first for creating a steady foothold for the brand.

put unibrow headlights on every GM model

This must be bait.

almost flawless plan
im retarded for not thinking of this

this, put a performance package with a retarded displacment and power ratio on every single vehicle in the line up

>Not going back like OP said and bringing out the G8 in 05 to bolster their sales so you don't have to kill them of in 2010 because you premtively stole the Charger's market from it before it even came out

Seriously though that'd be what I'd do, GTO comes out in 04 like planned, in 05 I'd then have a Commodore to it's Monaro, call it the LeMans to harp on Nostalgia, V6's and V8s both to take the decently priced RWD sedan niche that the Charger came in and got.

This plan, increasing Reliance of those Aussie platforms could also serve to safe them making Ausbro's happy as well.

I'd let Saturn and Hummer die and try to sell saab to someone that could do something with it that's good. Pontiac just seems the easiest to make live, just need to do the restructuring it was doing from 07 to it's death sooner.

Olds was a shit brand you fudd.

Oldsmobile had been worthless and didn't matter for decades and should have been axed much sooner.

give the unions everything they want and more

then blow myself up at the next board meeting

You're a goddamn fudd. Olds was the best GM brand ruined by decades of garbage rebadges, just like Pontiac and Buick, but the fell the furthest by far.

You would have to go back to before Rodger Smith took over to save it.

Also ditch the stupid Corvette is the best meme

Oldsmobile had been irrelevant for maybe a decade at most by then. The Cutlass was the best selling car for awhile I’m the 80s.

when GM fails so hard its fans start celebrating its mediocrity instead

>show up in 2003
>immediately end the phaseout
>left with aurora, alero, bravada, and silhouette
>kill the silhouette and give it to buick, keeping with olds's more dynamic image and drawing people under the age of 100 into buick showrooms
>switch the bravada to a CUV platform sized and priced like a BMW X5 to milk the crossover cash cow
>next-generation alero in 2005, underpinnings shared with other divisions on a global compact platform with enough shared parts to bring costs down and quality up but enough differentiation to give each offering something unique (aka what GM should have been doing the whole fucking time)
>redesigned aurora in 2006, going back to the 1st gen's formula of a unique driver's car
>new, epsilon-based intrigue in 2004/2005
>develop an actual competitor to the toyota prius and give it to olds
>likewise, when the volt is released (ahead of schedule, in late 2007/early 08 to sell during the recession), make it an olds

Nice meme. GM's mid-to-late-nineties reinvention of Oldsmobile was actually working, it just wasn't fast enough for the execs. The only reason that Olds fell from the top was because the middle-class Americans who bought them in the 70s and the 80s moved away from luxobarge coupes with vinyl roofs and GM made no attempt to bring them back.

at what point in your plan do you bring back the cutlass/442?

Yeah the Oldsmobile Alero was so fuckin sweet am I right bro totally how could they kill it man what a shame

>Chevy
1. attack ford and dodge mercilessly in fwd market
2. build awd version of w body 3.8 supercharged impala for police use to combat dodge charger in 06
3. build volt even earlier to snub prius
4. no traverse/colorado(wait for my explanation)

>saab
1. volkswagen rival instead of volvo
2. turbo "viggen" versions across the range
3. rebadge trailblazer ss for saab, let saab go nuts bolting their quirkiness all over it.

>saturn
1. dirt cheap economy cars
2. turn weird styling up to 11
3. secret cheap hybrid hatchback(rebadged volt platform, only hatchback)
4. experimental turbo 3 cylinder made from half a 3800

>pontiac
1. no suvs, no minivans
2. holden monaro is still the gto
3. holden commodore is the bonneville/le mans tho
4. grand am stays fwd, only engine is turbo saturn twin cam
5. grand prix is fwd, only engine is supercharged 3800, all wheel drive is an option
6. pontiac gets exclusive paint colors not available in other gm brands

>buick
1. clean the line up
Century: moved to cobalt/ion platform, 2/4 door available
Regal: Stays w body, 1 trim level only, n/a 3800 only. accord/camry size, but far more luxury
Lesabre: stretched holden commodore platform,
supercharged 3800 (gotta buy pontiac if you want v8)
Lucerne: only gm brand to have a minivan. in this reality it's an cutthroat competitively priced alternative to the chrysler town and country, but more powerful and built on an awd w body platform.
Park Avenue: massive fwd land yacht on a cadillac platform. quiet as a mercedes, zero steering feel. gelatinous pillow
2. buick has 5 vehicles to sell, laser focus on lexus/chrysler. makes it easier on the rest of gm to not be luxury

>gmc (hummer is still dead in this reality cause gmc isn't a chevy clone in my fiction)
1. exclusive small/midsize truck (canyon)
2. make 4 door wrangler competitor
3. gmc full size is lifted 6 inches higher than a silverado from the factory
4. diesel engines are not available on chevy trucks, only through gmc.

If I had half a fucking brain I would have included it in the post. It'd probably end up on a shrunken Zeta platform (along with the GTO) in 2006. Ideally, though, the Alpha platform would be a Zeta derivative introduced in the mid-to-late 2000s that could accommodate the GTO and the 442, along with a Buick GSX and a Chevelle SS coupe. Because why bring back two A-Body muscle cars when you can bring back all four?

>Chevrolet: price leader Hyundai/Kia competitors (cheap, reliable, but boring as shit), plus the Camaro and Corvette to keep people coming into the showrooms
>Pontiac: rwd sports cars and riced out shitboxes. solstice, gto, etc
>Oldsmobile: fwd drivers' cars (basically just let the division keep going in the direction they were headed in the late 90s), new cutlass/442
>Buick: rwd traditional american landyachts
>Cadillac: rwd lexus/audi/bmw fighters
>Hummer: rolled into GMC
>GMC: upscale SUVs for soccer moms and capable off-roaders, GM's equivalent to Jeep
>Saturn: cheap indestructible compacts with character for the youth market (Scion but actually good)
>Saab: volvo-tier safety and luxury

What'd I miss

purposely go bankrupt because deep inside I know Ford is better

Hahahahaha yasss queen slay

>import holden wagons and utes en mass, and sell them at a minor price hike over regular chebbys under a new brand targeted at vehicle enthusiasts
>develop the mid-engine corvette 15 years before it's been teased now
>kill the hummer and mercury brands ASAP, shift any unique cars of either brand to lincoln under new names
>lobby to kill the chicken tax law and bring back small trucks before safety regs inflate it to fuckhuge levels
is there anything i'm missing?

>Nissan as a brand is completely eradicated from existence, including any and all mention of it from history books. Nissan vehicles are outlawed

Lol stay mad gm cuck

lol I was waiting for someone to take that bait

Not making a big, bulky, blocky, 1st gen looking GTO.

>Nissan vehicles are outlawed, forcing negroes to ride the bus everywhere.
pls happen

>wake up, walk to work, day one hour one: kill Hummer and olds, cut Saab so hard it might as well not exist
>take Corvette, make it so it’s no longer focused on nasty sixth wife devorcees in their 60’s.
>auction off the entirety of the Cadillac brand, because FUCK caddy, and we need some dough
>re-release the Chevy Corvair as a small economy car, however ensure it’s a wrenchers dream on par with a Miata
>stop trying to make fun fast cars that appeal to both people who actually enjoy cars and fucking morons who just want an appliance: split them down the damn middle and give each side the best of what they want
>cheap and good for the environment
>cheap and easy to get parts for
That should satisfy everybody.

Oh, also, work on some way to male muscle cars great again; even if there really isn’t a “bumper” per se, there should at least be something that somewhat looks like one.

After that it would mostly just be refocusing the company from shit that appeals to boomers to stuff that harkens back to what they should be.
No more half assed vaguely styled like but still not actually close enough POSes with the name of something cool.

FUCK THAT.

>re-release the Chevy Corvair as a small economy car, however ensure it’s a wrenchers dream on par with a Miata
Why not just re-release the Fiero? That was also initially pitched as a small economy car.

Because rear enginey goodness and a god tier aesthetic.
A modern Corvair would be ten times sexier than a fuckin’ fiero.

Mercury was Ford, dipstick.

I'd let them go bankrupt and refuse to ask for a bailout, saving modern cars for everyone and preventing the families of those deceased due to my company's negligence from being unable to sue.

>SAAB Trailblazer SS
You mean Saab 9-7x?