Sup Veeky Forums, I'm looking for a little pickup, something the size of pic related. What are my best bets?

sup Veeky Forums, I'm looking for a little pickup, something the size of pic related. What are my best bets?

79-87 Toyota 4x4 pickup or a 86-97 Nissan D21

Toyota pickup id go 22RE, i had a 81 Hilux 4x4 with the 22R and the thing never ran right from carb issues, otherwise theyre good. i had a 88 Nissan D21 KingCab 5spd 2wd with the z24i engine and drove it through -50c one winter no issues

brand does not matter at all. it goes by how well they have been maintained. they all seem to do well with high miles too.

maybe find a boomer owned one. dont buy one from a teenager! also toyotas had frame rot in the early 90's

All of these plus ford ranger or mazda b2000

I’m in a similar boat. I’m looking to spend about $4,000 on a Truck or SUV that will be my daily commuter, but will also get me to the middle of Wyoming from the middle of Colorado and back. Was looking at either the Tacoma or RAV4. Any advice on year/feasibility?

going back to what i said here look at the rear of either truck for frame rot, im in north Canada so its expected. my Hilux had a piece of frame on the rear properly welded up and it held, my KingCab on the rear where the shock meets the frame it rotted out and the frame snapped in half and i had to scrap it. Nissan D21 rear frame rot is the big issue

enginewise im not a big fan of KA24, i like VG30E and Z24i though. Z24i are apparently sometimes prone to headgasket issues but i bought my truck sitting in a bush at a guys farm for a few hundred bucks and drove the piss out of it for a few years and never had a single engine issue minus 5th gear grinded

>brand does not matter at all

Veeky Forums

Depends where you are. If you're in Burgerland:
>Ford Ranger
>Chevy S10
>Dodge Ram 50 (Mitsubishi)
>Toyota 4Runner
>Nissan D21
>VW Rabbit

hes not overly wrong, vehicles are as good as theyre cared for. 10 years as a mechanic taught me that

Couple buddies have/ or have had early 90's Toyotas. Honestly I think they're overpriced. They brag how they have so many miles, but they've literally have had AXLES BREAK and Driveshafts fall off on the freeway... what else... The lack of power steering makes them a chore to drive at low speeds. And even the V6 models are dangerously slow. Not fun merging on the freeway with a big rig tail gating you to hurry the fuck up

mini trucks are actually competitive in reliability. but like i mentioned, toyotas had frame rot

Also, the lack of weight in the back makes them useless off road, until you swap the axles, and mount some 33"s on them. Now they weigh a lot more, and are worse on gas than a near Six liter 6,000lb real mans truck.

Once it's old enough. I'd take a meticulously maintained, grandma owned Comanche over a same year D21 or Toyota pickup that got beat to shit, infrequent oil changes, nothing fixed, etc.

lockers help. any open rear diff is useless offroad.

>posts a LT prerunner that likely has an open rear diff

daily reminder benchracing not limited to the street

Yeah but that's like 1/3 the price of the truck. But yeah, my mountaineer would get sideways AWESOMELY. And Ford's power steering kicks ass, you can whip that thing around no problem. Same with some Rangers, although they can be a lot more squirrelly. But yeah, street tires on sand was sooo much fun. I think once you put A/T or M/T's, you put a ton more stress on the drivetrain. And usualy half-tons and Jeeps are the only vehicles that can actually handle being used and abused off road, although not too sure.

Running your tires 10 psi lower than what they're supposed to be will "put stress" on your drivetrain more than all terrain tires ever will. Mud tires too assuming they aren't extremely oversized

Try and find any fuel injected TOYOTA pick up with that 4cyl 22re in it. Cheap to maintain and easy to find parts for it. Isuzu and Mazda are shit tier and parts are not readily available like for a Toyota with 22re.