Why are automatics in Japan more popular than manuals in Japan?

Why are automatics in Japan more popular than manuals in Japan?

Is it because of the Americans?

Other urls found in this thread:

thezebra.com/insurance-news/2805/manual-vs-automatic/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wtf are you talking about? Japa lobe manual transmissions.

Have you ever seen Initial D?

Your mom saw my initial D

>3-D
PD

jfc get off Veeky Forums please

Automatic is better for non-enthusiasts

Don't be jell your mom loves the initial D, after I give her the initial D ;)

Automatic uses less interior space making a more space efficient vehicle. Some cars are retarded and still have big "shifters" but a good number nowadays uses the space for storage and more leg room.

Name one example

Weak bait m8

It really isn't.
But if you are going to be stuck on Tokyo traffic all day, why even

I have never understood the “Auto is better in traffic” meme. If you aren’t physically disabled, it’s far better to be in control of what gear you are in for switching between acceleration, engine braking and cruising

because stopping and going repeatedly while slowly moving down the road at less than 5mph wears down the clutch pretty fast.

Doesn't it wear an automatic as well? I've never driven one but don't they accelerate as you're letting off the brake? That seems like it'd be bad for the car.

It’s not that bad because most (almost all) autos use a torque converter, which lessens driveline shock and multiplies torque.

Japan stopped caring about fun cars 20 years ago

Pushed hard by carmakers to justify selling more expensive cars.
It worked because the majority of the population didn't care and fell for the marketing.
It worked in the US because a more expensive car was a proof of status compared to the plebs still buying cheaper manuals.
it didn't work in Europe because yuros are cheap.

I drive my manual car in traffic alot and for some reason I still find it fun to shift gears, even at standstill

No it doesn’t, and don’t do that anyway there is never a reason to

It’s called not being disabled nice

People are attracted to superior technology user. Throw that fossil away and be a winner.
Manual is only good for wide open roads.

Is this real

Probably has a lot to do with Japan's older population also

Manual driver's license is harder to get than an auto only one

Underage b&

I hope so

Canadian here, but is this actually a thing? Here we just have different classes. As long as you have a class 5, you can drive any type of car, SUV, or pickup. You need a seperate license for commercial vehicles, big rigs, and motorcycles. The type of transmission a car has doesn't matter. You're supposed to learn it yourself or have someone teach you.

We're supposed to be the cucks (fucking Canada), but what kind of backwards ass shit eating place are you in? You're the true cucks

not him but here in Germany for example if you do your driving test on an automatic car you're only allowed to drive automatic cars
it's better this way
you don't want some retard stalling on you every intersection because he never learned to drive a manual car

Do you have a source? According to this article, 80% of cars sold in Japan are manual transmission (MT). That is just calculating the cars sold in Japan. That means 80% or more of cars in Japanese are manual transmission because older cars already there are more likely to be manual transmission.

thezebra.com/insurance-news/2805/manual-vs-automatic/

I went to Nippon this summer and even a fucking bus I took in Kyoto was manual.

Idk almost all new kei cars are cvt

The only country in the world where automatics are more popular than manuals is Trumpistan. LITERALLY everywhere else has like 50 manuals for every one automatic. Stay cucked amerilards.

Are you going to brag about still using DSL too?

Bong here, we have a separate automatic license test. If you take that you have to put a sign in your car that says "I am a mouthbreathing retard". Of everyone I know, not a single person took that test.

Automatics are becoming more popular everywhere. We're just ahead of the curve.

Because gas isn't $8 a liter in America. We can actually afford to own a car with a large engine and an automatic transmission

That was what shocked me. Buses don't have automatic transmissions. Somehow they're still smoother than automatics in most busses I've been in.

Actually Automatic is popular in Australia and probably Canada as well.

It's just for convenience sake, when traffic gets really dense due to population increases then you naturally see this occurring.

so just in Anglo lands?

Manuals have literally zero advantages over automatics other than driver engagement. Used to be they had a MPG buff butt with autos having over 9000 gears now that’s gone

In mountainous regions you'd be happy for a manual.

>But automatics allow you to select gears

Manuals still have significantly better engine braking for their gears. There are a lot of long steep downhills that I have to grab first for in most automatics and it is still not sufficient even with rear ends over 4.5:1 where as many manuals can crawl down in second with minimal braking.

Then again you average amerifats thinks a 10% is scary

Only women drive manuals in Australia

>city people being allowed to have opinions on what happens in Australia
No.

>manuals get better mileage
>end up revving the piss out of the engine
>get 2/3s the rated MPG
>shorten oil change intervals because revving the piss out of the engine
>BECAUSE IT'S FUN
>manuals are cheaper huh right

Huh?

Worth noting that all across europe by definition you learn in a manual, and passing allows you to drive any transmission type you want. You have to go out of your way to say
>Yes, I am too much of a retard and I can't drive a manual
Also only 1% at most takes the auto only license, so it's a non factor really

Just your post was implying automatics are somehow more expensive

I redline even while commuting just for shits and giggles. If the auto cost $1000 more, I've already doubled that in gas.

wasnt my post was just having trouble understanding yours.
still having a bit of trouble, so which is better auto or manual?

>Services are our largest export
???????????

So a driving style change is 100% correlated with a transmission type?

Automatic is the natural choice in tight urban areas with lower speed limits